logo

Coastal Readers Service
5430 LBJ Freeway Suite 1200
Dallas, Texas
Phone: 800 589 7998
This company contacted me in December 2011. Short Version: They called Said I ordered magazines wanted to confirm cc information. I said I did not order any and hung up. Now the phone calls became relentless. For personal reasons I wont say why, but I got scared, flustered and easily confused. gave info to prove I was not who they were looking for. Big Mistake, I know so don't bother responding to that. I realized this was the company that had been calling my number these past weeks and not leaving a message on the recorder. Now realizing my mistake I called them back, like 5 min after hanging up, told them who I was, what happened and I wanted stop or cancel anything that was done on my cc. They refused, said I could not cancel, would not tell me their name, started yelling and threatening me, then hung up
I cancelled CC. One month later I get a bill for 39.90 or the full amount of $1157. I never gave an order for magazines and have not received any magazines. I filed a complaint with Texas Attorney General, My state attorney general, BBB, FTC, and US Post office. The company president is Vincent S Haydock, out of Florida. We have the right to cancel any subscriptions and they know that. They wont let you until the time limit runs out. I believe I can prove intent to cancel. But what I believe and what the law says can be two different things. Seems like the law protects these scumbags. Has anyone else stood up to these bums. Made them stop. Has anyone had debt collectors call or had their credit ruined because of this. Please let us know why they got away with an obvious scam. File complaints with the above entities, also with the National do not call list if you are on it. One more thing, when they call and I do reverse phone checks, the phone numbers go to different cities in different states. No telling where they are really calling from. Small claims is next, if it applies. Still looking into it. Dont give in!
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Mar, 2012 by   msdelsol 0 Votes
I got dupe too. But I just cancel my order they said 3 to 5 days I'll get my money back on my card but she try to tell me I couldn't
cancel but I stood firm and told her I can. I just sign up Saturday so I didn;t even get a email confirmation so thats what worry me.
I'm going to call my bank to let them know that this is a scam
 11th of Mar, 2012 by   busaboy88 0 Votes
Somehow I got a subscription with this crappy service, they are telling me I owe $49.90 every month for 36 months. They send me magazines including: ESPN, GQ, Maxim, Mens Fitness, and a few others. I DID NOT ask for any of these magazines, let alone, I don't even read any of these magazines!

I just got a letter in the mail saying my account is past due, has the past due and current amount of $49.90, the total amount due of $114.80, and a payoff amount of $1, 397.20. HOLY CRAP!!! I OWE HOW MUCH??!!! I had to cancel my bank account so I could get away from this scam! Every time I talk to someone, they say I cannot cancel because I am "locked in" for 36 months! On the bottom of the letter it says "Sincerely, Account Manager". There is no name, so I don't even know who I can talk to so I can cancel this crap! There is no website for me to manage my account, and EVERY legitimate company has a website and lets me manage my account!
 4th of Apr, 2012 by   Hpeoplesjwl 0 Votes
Hi there!
This unfortunately happened to my boyfriend as well. They told him he had signed up for some time of promotional subscription years ago (they had his old address etc). They told him the promotional period had been over and they had been sending the magazines to his old address and he was locked in contract and had to pay. He argued he did not sign up for this and they threatened him with legal action if he did not give his information. He was scammed into it. As soon as he told me about it I began research. I advised him to cancel his current card # with his bank and advise them of what happened. ***NEXT IS THE IMPORTANT PART... THIS WILL GET YOU OUT OF THIS SCAM OF A CONTRACT and get their scaming ways noted! PLEASE file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau! They will take the matter into their hands and give the company 30 days to respond. We did this and the company relinquished ALL charges and cancelled the account. I refused to attempt to even talk to the company themselves for fear they would use recordings to further manipulate this so called contract we had. Please file with the BBB. You can also file with your State attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission to get the word out. It doesnt take long and hopefully with enough people doing so it will shut crappy people like this down!!!
 7th of Apr, 2012 by   IrritatedTexan 0 Votes
I had the same problem with Coastal Readers. They ran an ad on facebook saying you could take a survey on your political views and then the results would be published on a national news format. Next thing I knew I was signing up to get magazines and had given them a credit card number. I recently got a bill in the mail for $1797.00 to be paid monthly for 30 months and that they planned to bill my card. Long story short, I wound up calling my credit card company and getting a new card with new account number. I am researching these crooks and if I hear from them again I will be better prepared. I checked with the Better Business Bureau and they have had 46 complaints filed against them. I don't think they want to sue anyone in court.
 25th of Feb, 2014 by   Carol B Gillins 0 Votes
This happened to my son. They are now trying to get more money out of him again. He also tried to cancel it all but they said he waited too long. He got the notice after the time to cancel.
They took money out of his account . I don't know how much. He finally cancelled the card. And now they can't get any money out of it. He still gets letters saying he will be sued if he doesn't pay the money owed.of $319.20
I say just ignore it.. But I'm not sure what to do.
This is a scam. And then he has another Coast to Coast Renewal Inc. That is the same. The two letters are the same in every way. They want $942.30.
I know they won't get any and I don't think they want to sue anyone in a honest court. But I wish I knew what to do. They are wasting their money sending these letters.
 21st of Mar, 2014 by   Carol B Gillins 0 Votes
Today my son called the Interstate Recovery Service because the Coast to Coast turned it over to them for collection. When he called a woman answered as Mrs. Johnson. That is all, not the company name. He told her he had been contacted by them to collect the magazine bill. She told him she would cut the bill from$942.30 down to $475.90 and another $100.00 today if he would give her his charge card number. Wow. Give the card number to them? How dumb.
He called The BBB and They said the interstate Recovery Service is a real company And if he thinks it is his bill he needs to pay it.
What do we do. I think all of it is a scam.
Cost to Coast sent in the bill to the Recovery Service as being a different name. It is Preferred Renewal Service. What is going on and what can we do about it.? Has anybody gotten the bills turned over to a collection company? Thank you for any help.

Holiday Safety Tips 2009