Enjoy all the features! Create an account or Sign In

Closeout Island Contacts & Informations

Closeout Island

Posted:

Bait & Switch

Watch out, this place is the classic bait & switch company. I ordered a Nikon DSLR package and they told me the lenses wouldn't auto focus, even though Nikon had confirmed the lenses would work fine. I asked if everything was in stock initially, in which they said yes, then when I wouldn't switch anything in the package or buy any additional batteries or filters, the package was "magically" out of stock the next day when my order was processed. I imagine it will remain their indefinately - 2 follow-up conversations with salesmen and they couldn't even provide me any answers or any estimated delivery date. Thanks for waisting my time Closeout Island!
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Digital Cameras
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I purchased over $1000.00 worth of cameras and lenses off closeoutisland.com the other day. After entering my credit card info, I did some research and found that it was just a scam to get credit card info. I called the "company" to see about my purchase and I was transferred a handful of times to different people that sounded shady and unprofessional. When I wouldn't confirm my 3 number verification code on my credit card, they started yelling at me and hung up. I contacted my credit card company directly after that incident and cancelled my credit card and am having to pay a $35 fee for a new card to be shipped overnight. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CLOSEOUTISLAND.COM. It is a scam and they will not send you anything. Please do not make the same mistake I did.
 23rd of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
This company will change there name in a matter of days so watch out for this fony company
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
Thank you very much. I was just about to order the Nikon D90. I was weary because the price was just too good to be true. I also wondered why I could not find info about their return policy. I will just use eBay.
 5th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
YEAH, I NOTICED THAT PHOTOS OF CAMERAS THEY WERE SELLING DID NOT CORRESPOND TO THEIR DESCRIPTIONS, LIKE THE CANON XL-1 WAS SELLING BUT THE PHOTO WAS OF A DIFFERENT CAM MUCH LOWER END ...RED FLAG RIGHT THERE...
 7th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
I had the same "bait and switch" experience with a digital camera. If I bought overprice "extras" including a long life battery and sd card then they had the camera in stock (at 30% higher than amazon).
If I declined the extras then they no longer had the camera in stock.
 23rd of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
I too have been had by these creeps. They called me at work to verify credit info then went into what I did and didn't need. I got sold down on the camera, which is still a very nice camera, but think I paid more than I would have at Best Buy. The lense, they told me was better than the two lenses I wanted, turns out to be a discontinued Sigma which retails for $139.00. Yes, I got sold on the fast, error free card and better battery also. Just when I thought I could trust someone that you think is a specialist and doing you a service, you get bit. When I got home I called to cancel order. They told me it all ready went in and was on it's way. That turned out to be a lie also. If I sent it back I would have to pay a restock fee...blah, blah, blah. Oh, well, lesson learned. I will check prices on line but any purchasing from now on is going to be local or reputable on line dealer. As they say, if the price initially looks good to be true...it is. Wish I saw these reviews earlier. This makes me feel better.
 11th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
***STAY AWAY, TOTAL SCAM.UP SELL NOTHING AVAILABLE OTHERWISE
 25th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
Ordered a D-90 with 18-200 lens. Didn't want anything else. Checked my account 20 days later and it was listed on backorder. Called and was told it could be on backorder for 6 months. They had no idea when it would be sent. Cancelled my order and shopped elswhere.
 20th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
watch them compete with BINGO CAMERA! may be same owners? I gave them (Bingo and Closeout)...and...some charges were made during Xmas (up to $1, 400).Lucky, my creadit card company placed those on hold so they did not went thru! YES!...they will take your orders (with the prices too good to be true!) but you will get no confirmation #.
TOTALLY SCAM! Really wonder where the FBI?
 22nd of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
I agree with you 100%. They are complely fraudulent. I recently purchased a Canon camcorder and they tricked me with the same deal. The rep told me that the camera only comes with a 15 minute battery and that he would sell me a 4 hour battery for a sale price of $129. Since I was buying online I thought that it would be wise to get some warranty with the camera as well, in case i got a lemon. That was $200 dollars. the camcorder itself was inexpensive at $384. Well with that I was looking at approximately: $384 + $129 + 200= $713 x 1.09= 777.17 then he said something about shipping insurance at 8% but he would give me a deal of 6% so $777.17 x 1.06=823.80. I was charged $839. ( I was told that I could get a full refund if I changed my mind.) Well I did change my mind after I did the math and found out that they were also charging me shipping insurance on the warranty, which if in their system needs no security. I tried to cancel the next morning. That was when I was told that it would be charged 8% of the total 15% of the total which came to $125. I was told that if I tried to cancel my credit card that I would still be charged and also pay my bank for cancelling. I was told that I got a good deal.

The package came i didn't open it because I wanted to send it back. I called and talked toa so called manager. he tried to console my fears that I had I good deal and all. So I was like well at least I didnt have to pay $1000 which is the original price plus I have some bonuses. So I got home today and I opened my package. To my horror, there was no rapid charger, 4 hour battery, warranty, or anything that was promised. The way that I know this is because I called Canon to confirm the battery life. The official Canon rep told me that I had the standard package and that the battery has a charge of only 70-80 mins. To addd insult to injury, I was told that there is no such thing as a rapid charger that they make. The standard is 200mins and the other is only 170mins to charge. Not what I call "rapid'. PLEASE WHATEVER YOU DO...DONT SPEND YOUR MONEY WITH WWW.CLOSEOUTISLAND.COM!!! They are a bunch of liars and scam artists. Prime example, if you look on their website they have memory cards for $200!!! You can buy thee same memory cards on amazon.com for only $15. Example number two: I asked for an itemized bill and all that I received was an empty speadsheet and the total shown! Be Smart and dont lose your money.

I will give my email addres so that other people that have been scammed can rally with me to come against them and possibly get some of our money back. I'm not gonna give out my name but you can contact me at xavier_0203@yahoo.com! Let's get justice!!!
 26th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I had the same experience - I called to verify the camera was in Stock - I was told there was plenty - I ordered the camera online, got a call from a sales person two days later, trying to get me to buy the extended battery - He said "The camera only comes with a 15 minute battery" - When I replied that was incorrect "According to Canon it was 60 minute battery", the phone got real quiet and then he just said a quick thanks and hung up. The following Monday I went to check the order status on my camcorder - It was on "Backorder" - I called to find out why I was told there were plenty and now it shows on backorder - I was given the run around and could not estimate when it was going to show up - I canceled the order right away.
 14th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
Definately a scam. I ordered a D5000 camera body that was magically put on backorder when I declined all the extras. I cancelled my card right away just to be safe. I suggest that no-one uses this site. I am going to contact the FBI internet division and see if they can do anything about this scam artist.
 14th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
I didn't lose any money so couldn't report it. Those that lose money or have their card numbers used for purchases goto the site below.

Contact Us