logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
efreescore.com
I never received the score
2. (7 mins ago)
Kentucky Fried Chicken
Bad customer service
3. (13 mins ago)
Palliser Furniture
Leather sofa
4. (14 mins ago)
keranique hair regrowth
it's doesn't work at all, awful and steal your money
5. (33 mins ago)
Bank of America
Unauthorized ACH transaction

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Clayton Homes, Tappahannock, Virginia Complaints & Reviews - Scam and cheating!

Clayton Homes Contacts & Informations

1782 Tappahannock Rd
Tappahannock, Virginia
Phone: 804-443-4769
www.clayton.net
We decided in 2006 to purchase a new home, July 23rd, 2006 to be exact. We first went to the Clayton homes dealer in Massaponnox Va, only to be insulted by the sales woman. We ended up in Tappahannock. where we saw a model that we liked, asked to be shown the model by the salesman James Lehner. He handed us a key and we showed ourselves the model. we liked what we saw, went back over to the office and started the ball rolling with our $500.00 down. We wanted every option available in the house. We were told that once all permits etc were obtained it would take 8 to 12 weeks before the house was ready to move into. Fantastic hey?

James Lehner told us that Clayton Homes would take of everything, financing, contractors, permits etc. Come to find out three weeks down the line, we had to sell our current house before they would finance the new one. we sold our house, no problem. Then I was informed that I had to obtain the permits etc, because Clayton homes didn't purchase the land that the house was to be put on. I obtain all the necessary permits.

In March 2007 the work was to begin on our house, The land was cleared, we were charged extra for the removal of the debris. Sections of the house were delivered to our property, and left to sit in the weather elements. I had complained about the water that had accumulated in the insulation under the kitchen section of the house, to no avail. Prior to erecting the house the contractor (Gino) employed to erect the house complained about how the land was cleared, and said he was not putting a house up on it. The contractor who cleared the land, came and back filled the land. He did not have an engineer on hand to test soil to make sure it was suitable for putting the house on. we had to have engineers come back out, at our expense, to test the soil. Resulting in a 9 week delay.

Once the house was under construction it was hard to get the contractors hired by clayton homes to come to work. All in all it took 10 months to get our house erected. All the while we were paying for an apartment, storage, paying on the construction loan, gas to drive back and forth from the construction site. Then we find that things we had ordered for the house had not been installed, i.e. tray ceiling in dining room, carpet in the wrong places.

When we discussed this with the salesman, he basically said 'We didn't pay for the extras, so don't worry about it.' we had gaping big holes in walls, a leaking shower stall, a tub that can't be used.The ceiling caved in in two places from water damage. A stairwell that was out of rack.I could go on forever as to the shoddiness of this house. We have walls that have never seen a paint brush, walls that bow out, trim with huge gaps, a septic system that breaks down every 2 months, that no one wants to take responsibility for. Water damage. Siding that was put on backwards. All in all, I am miserable with this house, it can't be sold like it is. we basically paid $180,000 for a dump and Clayton Homes does as little as possible to fix things in a timely manner, if they bother to at all.
Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Dec, 2008 by   Clayton ex service man 0 Votes
In Regards to your post i worked for clayton homes up until this year.
i have been a service tech for years. I understand what your feeling we were taught to anwser questions with questions. They are a complete scam. Your problem with your roof is easy. It is built from 1x2 and 2x2 construction.
Look at the cabniets as well the are made from the same as well as simple paneling. People never look at the actual material used it second hand as well.

And yes your right it needs to set on solid ground. Also check the piers for frost line dept and if any blocks are cracked as well.

Also were the home set in the elements play a big part. when it was put together the wall board and studs prob got wet. this will lead to mildew and mold in time. it also got into the insulation under the home as well. so it will do the same in time.

If anything in your home got wet then chances are you will be seeing mold and mildew in the futhure. and mold is very un healthly in a new home or any home.

the reason you got unwanted extras is your house was probally a display model from another lot or a leftover home close to your specs from the factory.

Point being you will never recive a honest anwser from the clayton org because they talk in circles. they never give you an anwser. I know i worked there for years.

All your problems range from second hand materials to very poor workman ship and the bottom dollar materials they can use. think about this your home was built on a assembly line then ship to you 70mph down the interstate. then dumped off and re jacked up to your site. Actually be glad it even made there in one piece.

My advice is don't give in to them. Contact your local state building codes
office to come and check out your home. Then contact a lawyer and take what ever actions you deserve. But do not recomend any one to buy these homes. You paid a total of 180000 for a pile of shed material basically.

your home probally cost around 8-10 to even build. That were they get you.

Its a big joke...you have to buy there home from them... finance thru them...make your payments thru them... and you get nothing but a run around.

Ps ; did they even wrap your water lines from freezing?

WORD OF ADVISE FOR TODAY "Buy Something you can see built-Don't invest your life in something they drag down the road"

Good Luck.
 30th of Jun, 2009 by   Janis41464 0 Votes
Wow...I am so glad I read this, I was about to give them $500.00 down to start looking for property to put my home on. I did get the feeling that they were just a little TOO hurried to get the paperwork signed...red flag. Plus, it was me and my Mother buying the home together, they probably figured "ca ching ca ching...2 women buyers who don't know crap about homes". Actually, I used to be a kitchen designer so I know a thing or two. We're gonna buy a stick built home from a realtor. THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVISE!!!
 6th of Aug, 2009 by   krijon1844 0 Votes
I must say that when I bought my house they saw me coming... I am a single Mom with 2 kids of my own and was taking care of 2 others that had family problems. My only thing was I wanted a roof over the kids head and thats all I got for a little while.. My house leaks like crazy! My walls stay wet and soft.. I have to remind the kids not to touch or lean on them or they will go through the wall. I have buckled boards in my floors, doors dont stay open.. or closed. Having 1 girl with 3 boys is great.. but the gap thats in the bathroom door that you can look in and see her showering and using the toilet.. not so good (i reported that one and they just made a bigger gap). I know that this thing will be on the ground before its paid for and I know I will not make another payment beyond that day. Clayton Homes is a joke. they produce crap and they are liars! I will challenge any one of the "TOP DOGS" to send me their kids or Mom and let them live with me for a while. We all have allergies and constant rhinitis. I know you will not do it because you know its crap and yet you make money from sucking the life out of people and ruining the dreams they have of having a nice home... your homes are crap and I plan on telling everyone I meet. I even paid one of their servicemen to fix my front door and the two walls on each side.. $560... and they are leaking and falling in again. Not only do they sell crap.. they cant even fix the sh** they sell. *******DONT BUY A CLAYTON HOME****** if you want photos email me at kjones1844@rocketmail.com
 16th of Nov, 2009 by   eww 0 Votes
So I heard Clayton homes has come out with a "green" home called the ihouse. After careful research into the companies history and owning one of their homes, not to mention actually working for them years ago, I decided to post my concerns and comments on their facebook page (ihouse on facebook clayton homes). After several honest comments one of their reps contacted me. Here is that post:
Katie Allison Granju 16 November at 21:03 Report
Hi Wayne:

My name is Katie Granju, and I am contacting you on behalf of Clayton Homes. We want to be sure that your concerns are addressed fully. Can you give Pam McCullough of Clayton a call during normal business hours? You can reach her at 865-380-3000 x5004. Pam is expecting your call, and we look forward to hearing from you.

I also wanted to let you know that I am taking down your comment with the link in it that criticizes Fleetwood Homes. We try to keep things friendly and welcoming on all of our social networking pages, so we ask that our friends and visitors avoid posting links to material that directly criticizes our competitors. I hope you understand; please let me know if you would like to discuss why we have made this decision, or ask any questions about our reasoning on this.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and honest contributions to our Facebook page. We enjoy having you as a member of our community!

All best,

Katie

~ Although I held refrain from posting a direct link about their issues and made a reference to a competitor that manufactures the same product utilizing the same methods they felt they had to act and pull my comments. My comments were honest and proven. What ever happened to freedom of speech? I guess its ok if your not telling the truth?
 19th of Nov, 2009 by   help4us 0 Votes
Im about to purchase a Claton Home (doublewide) but after reading all the complaints im not sure what to do. I am a contractor down on my luck, I have had back surgery and this seem like the only afordable thing to do for my family at this time. I am having the home moved and set up by my own moving co., plumber, electrician, footings, ect. What should I do I have heard good things and bad things. Someone please help me make this decision for I want it to be the right one. this is the last chance for my family and I . ANY other sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by   one59katlac 0 Votes
It always pays to read the comments...thank you everyone! I saw the commercial and was going to recommend it to my son, but did a bit of research first, Best of luck to those struggling with defective homes. Mold can be very dangerous! I has a "fungal ball" removed from my (R) maxillary sinus earlier this year and still suffer the effects. Moldy homes are very serious health hazards. Has anyone thought about a class action regarding the leaking structures? There seem to be many good reasons some legal counsel might be a good idea.
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by   K.lACEY 0 Votes
I FOUND THIS VERY HELPFUL: http://www.manufacturedhomebuyers.com/clayton%20ordeal.htm
 18th of Feb, 2010 by   woodworker922222 0 Votes
I was also a Clayton Homes Service Tech for a year, now am a contractor. I am neutral on this, there are good things and bad things about manufactord housing. First the good. Price, you could never get a stick built home with the square footage as a mobile home. They are also usually, not always such as in this case, done quickly. I have toured all the factories, and yes its pour workmanship(these guys might make $9hr) but they are for the most part sound. They do use cheaper materials, the roof is made of 2x2 trusses on 24 center, but they are engineered trusses, they will work and last. They do this primarily for weight purposes. You can get these homes now with 6 in walls, they are very well insulated. They take these homes down the interstate full throttle, but they make it, try doing that with your stick built home. For the most part manufactored housing is a cheap alternative.
Now there are alot of problems. It really boils down to the lot you buy from. Some are just after your money, but some really do care. Me for instance, I'm a contractor in kentucky. When I do a trim-out I make sure it is perfect before I leave. The problem is alot of these contractors and service people don't know what there doing.
In this case there are a few problems right off the bat. You bought a finished drywall home. Yes they are pretty, but these homes are built to move, something is gonna give. Second your home has a hinged roof. Stay away from that, again they are pretty, but you will have problems. Stick with a standard roof, not these crazy 5/12 roof pitches. If these homes sit for any time at all without being set or put togather, they will leak.
Do not buy a Clayton brand home, they are junk, giles are junk, norris is junk, skyline is junk, and yes dutch built homes are junk. Stick with manufactures such as, fleetwood, cavalier, appalachia, southern, southern energy, these are the best built mobile homes in my opinion.
My advice is contact your fire marshall, they will make them fix it. Or call Clayton Homes corperate office in Nashville Tn. and talk to somebody that matters. All they care about at the corperate office is customer approval numbers. 1-10 after 6 months they call and get an inquire about your home, and if that numbers low the sales center takes a big hit. If you can get ahold of somebody that matters then you will get your home fixed.
But for future buyers, stay away from finished drywall and hinged roofs, if you want that just build your own house. But for the most part I will say manufactured homes are a good choice.
 16th of May, 2010 by   tazzlady 0 Votes
My Husband and I bought a home from Clayton Homes in 2002 ever since we bought our home its been nothing but hell with Vanderbilt Mortgage. it turns out that the sales person that sold us our home is a crook and a big one at that and my husband few into his trap. turns out that the land where our homes sits is only approved for a 2 bed room and not a 4 bed room, and it also turns out that my father in law some how signed a deed of trust when he can't write at all due to rheumatoid arthritis and hasn't been able to write for years. I have been called everything in the book by reps from vanderbilt mortgage reps. the have called my brother in law, my son which is 16 asking about a payment that wasn't even due yet. A month after we got the home the ref. the dishwasher went out, then after haveing the home for a year the center air went out, couldn't anyone to come fix it at all. I've found out that clayton homes has had several lawsuits and as of right now i am looking to sue the heck out of them, the that broke several laws and all i can say to anyone looking to buy a home from them is DON'T.
 16th of Jun, 2010 by   ARCHITECT.CS -1 Votes
If you knew all this stuff, or if you felt like that, why did you even start the process of buying the home? If all of you feel this way, then don't you think you should do something about it and quit complaining. I AM NOT DOWNING ANYBODY, BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE YALL ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE PRESENT SITUATION. cOMING FROM AND ARCHITECT THE CUSTOMERS PRIORITY COMES FIRST.
 7th of Jul, 2010 by   Louisiana Developer 0 Votes
I am a Local Louisiana Developer, I can agree with the answere your question with a question statement. I have been leaving messages for Neil G regarding an upcoming housing development in Louisiana, and have yet to get a response to our first convo and litereature we sent over. Then today 7/7/2010 I call his office and his associat was rude, and told us that we need to hear from Neil. This development has the potential to grow to upwards of 2000 homes over the next 12 months.

I guess if this is how Clayton Homes handles its clients...small and large everyone should take another look... Try Louisiana System Built Homes...so far so good
 10th of Oct, 2010 by   Sean Mc 0 Votes
We bought a Clayton Double Wide in 2006, the dealer was a complete moron. the only good thing at the dealer was the service manager . he was excellent went out of his way to make sure it was right the first time.. of course I had the advantage to be onsite when installed, and hoked up .. as well as for the septic system.. I was able to thwart several issues by being on site during setup .. the only real issues we have had where by the subs that did the driveway and the decks.. they were complete idiots If I had not been there, and knew as much or more than they did it would have really been a mess.
As far as Vanderbuilt goes .. no real issues there either other than we did get some run around due to the manager at the dealer.. we did or home work looked at every brand around . and talked to many dealers . the dealer and the service staff means alot.
The home its self is very energy efficient, and we knew that we would be upgrading cabinets within 10 yrs, and changing flooring ( carpet and vinyl )etc .. but the house its self has had zero issues.. but then again it was setup correctly and I am more than able to fix or upgrade my self since the warranty has expired now .
Clayton owns about every brand out there now days .. the name remains the same but Clayton has bought out fleetwood and most other competitors. So even though it dosent say Clayton it still may be built by them.

Manufactured housing is cheap compared to a stick built new house .. but if you do the research and get lots of references of past customers to speak with abut their experience .. good dealers will have no issue with giving you people past and present to talk with.. no matter if its a stick built or manufactured home.. I personally would have no prob with buying another Clayton home.

If you have any questions about my experiences feel free to contact me Sean at nrgbaits@gmail.com I'm in Chattanooga, TN
 20th of Apr, 2011 by   goingtosueclaytonhomes 0 Votes
My wife and I just bought a Clayton Home from Clayton Homes of Mabank. One day after hooking the septic and water up. My wife found a leak in the spare bedroom. It took Clayton 3 days to send someone out to look at it. The floor was soaked. It was all because of a loose connection to the second bathroom. That was one day, the very next day they hooked up the A/C unit and then left without checking to see if it worked. Just yesterday I found that underneath my kitchen sink a puddle of water standing. The pipes were leaking. It has made the wood underneath the sink swell. When they moved the house onto the property the movers hit a pole and tore a hole into the side of the house and they just want to replace the vinyle siding. Also, the paneling has come out of the wall and they still have not come out to replace it.
 24th of Jun, 2013 by   TXUhhappy 0 Votes
Our house is less than 6 yrs old and falling apart. I am highly unhappy. Did anyone get a lawyer involved in their issues? Also we had a ton of issues with Vanderbilt and had to get an attorney involved years ago as they made huge mistakes on land transfer issues as they tried to take 15ac more land towards down payment that we originally agreed. This has been a nightmare! :(

Holiday Safety Tips 2009