logo

Clayton Homes
Bad Construction - Failure to Follow Up
5. (23 mins ago)
Cub Cadet
mower drive belt keeps throwing off

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    AlanZdba

Overdraft Fees

Massachusetts
citizensbank.com
I have had my Citizens account for over a decade. I have been unemployed for 6 months in this economy and barely getting by. It is a struggle. In the past week, due to my unemployment check getting posted a day late, Citizens allowed 7 charges to go thru for gasoline ($27), groceries ($55), Walgreens ($8), and 4 other charges all of less than $25. I was charged a $39 overdraft fee for each and every one of them totalling $234 and a total of over $300 in the past week. That is nearly one-half of my unemployment check! I asked why they allowed the charges to go thru and they said "With the small amount of each charge, we see it as a customer service to allow them to pass" - even though they charge ME more than any of the charges actually were! Now I don't have enough in my account for my child support check. What a rip-off!! And they refused to credit any of those charges back! THEN they offer me an application for overdraft protection, that they turn down because I have "insufficient income".
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Mar, 2010 by   onlylooking 0 Votes
i told them that i would close this account and the other accounts we have with them and they didn't care, they don't care about their customers at all sucks
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   rac2000 0 Votes
Im looking to get on board with this class action lawsuit. I have gone through rough times and good time and been screwed the whole way. in the last 2 years, I have had over $6000.00 in over draft fees. No joke. Holding funds and processing them in the order they want to. Example. I have a $100 in account. I make a charges of $10, $20, $30, $90 in this order. I should only get 1 overdraft of $39.00. on the $90 charge. All the charges were on the same day, and they process the $90 first, and they I get 3 overdrafts for the remaining charges

Please reply to this post and tell me contact info and I will jump on board ASAP

Hooksett, NH
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   anothermadperson 0 Votes
They just did this to me. I wish I had printed out what I saw online as proof but when I called they had already changed it and wiped out the history and denied it. They also stacked transactions so a check would bounce. Pay goes in at midnight and they put the check through they said at midnight too but instead of putting my deposit first they put the check first and continued to charge me $38 in fees. They returned twice charged me fees, then a few days later took out the second return and showed they paid it a day later along with a ton of charges. I'm closing this account and just went back to PNC. From now on with any bank you are with if you notice activity online make a printout of it, save it, etc. so you have proof.
 31st of Mar, 2010 by   Fallen2xl 0 Votes
so I too have the same problem: Two hundred and thirty something buck in overdraft fees for each transaction adding to about a dollar to a total of less than $10. FYI, each transaction was within a couple of hours on the same day. $230 in penalties for $10??? That's too excessive, and unjust! I definately was robbed by Citizen's!
I called the bank and they offered no help.
I planning to bring them to small claims court, but I'm also interested in that law suit that has already been filed. My email is: Fallen2xl@yahoo.com
Thanks and good luck everyone.

-Eric(Derry, NH)
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   ddalpe 0 Votes
Citizens Sucks my son has an account an works part-time he made 2 purchases both totaling 6.00 he is being charged 78.00 in overdraft fees. I called them to see if I could settle the 6.00 0verdraft so he would not be charged. They told me no its already posted asked if they could waive the fees. They offered me overdraft protection gave all the information guess what he doesn't make enough - NO KIDDING he's a kid. I would love to get more information on any class action suit being complied against them. please contact me at Ddalpe@aol.com
 7th of Apr, 2010 by   Rickyb44 +1 Votes
Same nonsense here, I was away on business and had an over draft total of 33 dollars... This caused an insufficient funds fee of 100, which led to another overdraft fee, and so on until I had totaled 500 dollars in overdraft fees... This in less than a four day period. The Bank reps were careless and downright rude. The bank is the worst I have ever dealt with and I work with money daily. I hope they go out of business. Please include me in any class action suit. Ohh forgot to mention that I had a pending cash transfer that they saw and allowed to sit pending while this took place. Nice of them right?

vidas.Nickie@gmail.com

Wish you all the best!
 9th of Apr, 2010 by   Tired of the ripoff +1 Votes
I have also had the displeasurable experience of being robbed by Citizens. There is a website for the Office Controller of Currency which overseas Citizens because it is a national bank. (RBS Citizens National Association is there official name) The website is: www.helpwithmybank.gov
PLEASE file a complaint if you have experienced any underhanded banking fees/charges assessed against you by this bank. In March of this year the federal courts ruled on exactly this type of banking robbery and ruled AGAINST the banks involved. Unfortunately Citizens was not named in this class action suit but it should have been. It will take multiple people all with the same dispute to make a difference and make Citizens accountable for this thievery.
In doing my research I discovered (actually was told by the branch manager at the east side of Providence branch, Ron Bouchard) that debits are deducted before deposits are entered and that the bank starts with the highest debit amount FIRST!
Good luck to all including myself! If you have any questions/answers please email me at triagejvr@aol.com
 27th of Apr, 2010 by   Dave Laclair +1 Votes
i over drafted 3 times totalling 14 dollars and was charged 4 over drafts? For a total of 156. I then deposited a check for 250. The next day it showed on my account online the check had cleared and was NOT IN THE PENDING TRANSACTIONS AREA. I bought gas and apparently it hadn't clear and i was charged another over draft. This is ridiculous. They have taken thousands of dollars from me over the years and don't care... I hope we can get this suit won... Any info email me at punplayspoker@aol.com thank you
David Beverly MA
 27th of Apr, 2010 by   rkh54 +1 Votes
LadyScot, if that is who you really are, past employees of Citizens have come forward to tell the inside story of how the bank has manipulated 'debit and credit' dates and times to add extra overdraft fees. I have a mailed statement from the bank stating certain debit and credit dates that do not correspond to the certified time and dates from other institutes. People on fixed income and set deposit dates have had this manipulation put them in serious financial jeopardy. It is well known that a bank will tally at the end of the day from largest debit to smallest and then put in the deposit thus creating overdrafts. Citizens bank has manipulated transactions days and sometimes weeks to get extra overdraft fees. Citizens Bank has taken what other banks are doing to a new low.
 28th of Apr, 2010 by   rkh54 +1 Votes
LadyScott, read the posts!!! We all have seen the results of debits days later. Citizens will put a debit in 'Outstanding Authorizations and Funds on Hold' yet the merchant has already submitted the charge. I have a charge that was submitted by a merchant on Tuesday the 27th and it is now showing in the 'Outstanding Authorizations and Funds on Hold' with a B. For the sake of all of us who are getting scammed, PLEASE DO NOT SPEAK OF WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY REAL KNOWLEDGE OF!!!
 28th of Apr, 2010 by   rkh54 +1 Votes
I missed the end of this sentence;
I have a charge that was submitted by a merchant on Tuesday the 27th and it is now showing in the 'Outstanding Authorizations and Funds on Hold' with a post date of tomorrow the 29th.
 7th of May, 2010 by   Apexpro +1 Votes
The same thing happened to me! I guarantee they would have stopped any charge over $39. I guess they need to make money somehow. Thieves!!! It will catch up with them
 7th of May, 2010 by   Apexpro +1 Votes
Same thing happened to me. I guarantee they would have blocked any charge over $39. Thieves! It will catch up with them at some point
 8th of May, 2010 by   wilhoitw1966 +1 Votes
I also got charged overdraft feestwo times by citizens. the last time they charged me 4 charges for a total of $148 even a check was recently put in the bank which would cover the debits but because funds were not available was charged the fees and they refused to remove them. the last time had 5 for a total of $125 of which they only removed $25 but they changed how the money came in to maximize what should of been 1 overdraft to 5. I would like in on the lawsuit if its not too late. I emailed one from earlier.
 9th of May, 2010 by   rkh54 +1 Votes
LadyScot, it has already been proven you do not know what you are talking about.
Leave this complaint to those that have true knowledge of what is going on. We will not divulge our financial details here. I have already stated enough without giving details to prove Citizens is not posting debits and credit per their own statements.
PLEASE STOP SHOWING YOUR IGNORANCE!!!
ladyscott,

what you don't get is the reason they give as to why the money is not available is because they don't know if the check will clear yet on the flip side they don't use this same tactic on debits as they are charged even before it is shown to be legit. I have done business with many banks and this is the first that I have seen to charge an od just because their rule says the money isn't available. also understand they change how the money comes in to maximize the od fee.
lady scott,

yes I would agree most post from largest to smallest but does that make it right? but citizens is the only one I have done business with (and have been banking well over 40 years) that charges an od fee even you have an uncleared check to cover the debits they go negative then wait till check clears then fix it after the fact that isn't what they did. this is not about people not being able to manage their finances but rather the unfair tactics that banks use to maximize an od fee. this is nothing more then stealing from the customer. I can see an od draft fee if they don't have the money in there but this is not what happened as it is just a bank rule that causes the od fee. as far as the emergency excuse you are using it don't hold up as many would nopt want to spend $50 for $13 in gas. I personally have multiple accounts for diferent reasons which I'm not going to go into fact is it is bank rules that are causing many of the od fees and just cause they say this is how it is doesn't make it right.
 10th of May, 2010 by   wilhoitw1966 +1 Votes
how do we get in on the classaction lawsuit? my email is wilhoitw@verizon.net
 10th of May, 2010 by   wilhoitw1966 +1 Votes
we need to report them to the bbb and the banking commision I will be doing this.
 5th of Jun, 2010 by   yesthemoma 0 Votes
I made a payment to time warner cable on the fourth of this month using my debit card, and it was charged to my account. Now the bank has put the exact same amount on hold to pay again on the 8th, this puts my account in over draft, and I will have that fee along with another one for another payment that has not come out yet. I called time warner and they have no record of any payment due or pending. By the time this is all said and done the bank will expect me to pay $74 dollars in overdraft fees, and that is only for 1 week. I am on SSI/SSD and do not have the money for this. I am very upset and wish I could afford a lawyer to go after this bank as this is the fourth time in 3 months they put something on hold and overdraft my account. I thought they could not do this any more, but they say they can and any money I put in they will automatically take out what is owed to them. Any suggestions?

Several Tips How to Avoid Internet Scams