logo

1. (0 mins ago)
Ericdress
A crooked Company
2. (7 mins ago)
bbc online lottery microsoft promo
enquiry about the winning price
3. (9 mins ago)
Regarding the unsupply

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Childrens BOMC Book of the month club Complaints & Reviews - TOTAL SCAM TOTAL RIP OFF STEALING FROM INNOCENT PEOPLE

Childrens BOMC Book of the month club Contacts & Informations

Childrens BOMC Book of the month club

Posted:    shunter

TOTAL SCAM TOTAL RIP OFF STEALING FROM INNOCENT PEOPLE

Childrens Book of the month club BOMC
This company should be shut down for predatory business practices. They sent my wife a book which we never asked for, never signed for, never gave any authorization nor agreed to any terms. They shipped the book then expected us pay to ship it back if we didnt want to be a part of their auto ship program!!!

Then i get a letter from eastern collection corporation for 88.24. I would rather someone come into my house and rob me in person so I can tell them to their face how I feel.

Sorry but you send me something thats your own damn fault and i would pay thousdands of dollars in attourney fees so that you dont get one dollar.

This company is a complete scam.
Comments United States Books
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Childrens BOMC Book of the month club complaints
Childrens BOMC Book of the month club - Scam

Comments

4th of Mar, 2009 by   Yamaha 0 Votes
Same thing here. They sent the first book in my son's name- 5 years old. I forgot to ship it back and cancel, and received a reminder notice. I didn't want to, but I paid it, and gave the book to my kid. This enrolled me in my "commitment" with their company. The next month, I receive 3 packages- totalling over 100 bucks! Also a late notice for $28.98. Wow. 2 months into my "commitment", and I'm treated to overpriced books AND a late notice. So I call customer care, ask the lady how it's possible that my 5 year old has an account. She proceeds to tell me that I must have fraudulently placed his name on the account when I signed up. I told her that I didn't sign up for anything and she told me "How are we supposed to know if a person is of legal age to sign up to this program when we randomly send the products out?" Unfortunately, my son found the books and wrote in some of them. I told the lady that I was sending a check for the balance and that I wanted the account cancelled. She tells me she cannot cancel the account and that another shipment is being sent. We go round and round for aprox 5 mins and she finally yells and says, "Your account is cancelled"- and hangs up on me!!! Wow. This company operates with NO integrity and is nothing more than a SCAM!!!
 9th of Mar, 2009 by   SS1982 0 Votes
I have got the SAME issue going on here!!! but the worst part is I DIDN'T EVEN GO TO THEIR SITE TO BEGIN WITH! that company stole my card info when i was purchasing some shirts on this unknow site ( i had two companies stlealing my card info the same day and Children's BOMC) was one of them. anyway, they went ahead charged my card without my permission!!! and shipped the stuff to me. as soon as i got them, i tried finding a contact number to get this straightened out, but if you look at their site, you wont find any!!! i reported their activity on my account to my bank as a fraudelent and had them investigate on it. it turned out to be a fraud so i got my $$ back from my bank, but neither could my bank get a hold of that company.
now i'm getting notifications from credit corporations for the "debt" i owe them!! i resolved one of them back in 2007 but here comes another one to get on my nerves!!!
this company is definitely nothing but a fraud!!!
 13th of Mar, 2009 by   Lester Witmer 0 Votes
I am glad that there are more people out there with the same problem. I thought i was is the wrong! I never agreed to anything. They just started sending me random childrens books. I DON'T EVEN HAVE KIDS!!! Please tell me what do i do to stop this?
 21st of Jul, 2009 by   Khalid Timani 0 Votes
I have the same problem and they asked me for $74.45 now . Two years ago they sent me books for $16 and I paied for them. then they keep sending me books for two years and I keep rejecting them untill few days ago where they asked for $74.45. They argued me that I signed a contract for two years when I paied first for the $16. Now they send it to the collecter company which makes me very upset and I paied for the $75.45 and I asked them do not contact me any more. howevr when I read the above complaints, I feed that I have beed fooled by them. what I have to, do I have to call my credit card company to cancell the transection based on the information that you given above in which this company is fraud?.
 24th of Jul, 2009 by   sammythebull 0 Votes
These guys should be shut down, I have had the same experience they are the biggest rip off artist they bill you then hide. On the BOMC website no phone number or address is displayed. They are located in the state of Pennsylvania. We need enough people to file an online complaint form to the Pennsylvania Attorney general, link is provided below.

The Scam artist phone number is 717-918-2665 ( I had to call the collection company and threaten to report them to the Federal Trade Commission for being involved in the scam to get the phone number.
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by   baabnc 0 Votes
I have the same problem they send me one book without my permission I didn't send it back then I'm entered into this agreement to purchase 4 books to get out of the contract which i disagreed then they send me this bill for $91.24 which I paid and was told they would send me out a list of books that I could order to fullfill the contract which they never did now months later I'm getting a letter from a collection agency Penn Credit Corporation demanding $91.24 payment I called them told them I had already paid this but now I can't find the receipt of payment they said I had to send proof I said well the company should have that can I get their phone# from you he said they didn't have it I looked on CBOMC website and there is no phone# so I sent them an email threatening to call BBB and FTC if they didn't get this matter resolved so I'm waiting to hear back but in the mean time I will make a former complaint to the attorney general website you mentioned above thanks for that info and also for everyone posting their complaints it helps to know I'm not alone in this unjustice.
 10th of Nov, 2009 by   tiger1974 0 Votes
I called up Children's BOMC today and ultimately got them to remove the charges from the account. What everyone should be aware of is that this is NOT a legally enforceable contract and attempts by both the company and debt collection agency are mere threats that cannot be enforced under law. When I talked to the call center supervisor, she said that after the amount is paid that they would send vouchers for 4 books - what this indicates is that the "amount owing" is not really a "debt" since no products have been provided, which is why they need to send the vouchers upon payment (which essentially constitutes pre-payment for the books). This is a complete scam and they are seeking to take advantage of consumers who are not aware of contract law. So when you call, tell them that at no point before the introductory purchase were you made aware that charges would be made owing (esp. at "average" club book prices) and that it is illegal for them to demand payment when they have not provided any benefit/consideration. Sufficient raising of the voice and highlighting of the illegality of this activity should get the charges removed.
 17th of Dec, 2009 by   larsonszoo +1 Votes
To other than those who never ordered in the first place, I would say: Read the fine print, folks. When you take advantage of an offer, such as their current 'first six for $2' offer, you agree to order a certain number of books over the next two years. I think it's a more than fair offer. In addition, I have been a BOMC member forever, have never had a problem, and have had nothing but friendly and helpful customer service when I had a question. I'm guessing the thousands of BOMC members who are happy just don't leave comments at a site such as this.
 11th of Jan, 2010 by   concernedmomfromAtlanta 0 Votes
I am fully aware of the "contract" into which I entered with CBOMC; however, even AFTER I replied "do not send" online (within the time requirement they gave), I was still sent books. I paid for these books, thinking perhaps I had done something wrong. I fulfilled my "contract" and bought the books I needed in order to cancel my account. I then received a letter stating that I still had this outstanding balance. I paid it again, via the return address envelope that was included and canceled my account. This process began in Sept. of 2009. It is now January 2010 and I receive yet ANOTHER letter stating that I STILL have not paid this same outstanding balance. This letter also states that the company had reported me to the Credit Companies for non-payment. This letter has absolutely NO contact information. No phone number. No email. Nothing stating a person/number I can call. I have now gone online and paid a THIRD time. I have searched the site for contact info. I finally found a contact phone number, waited 10 minutes to speak to a live person and had to argue my case. The representative stated that a letter would be mailed to me stating a zero balance. I will believe it when I see it. This is the worst company I have ever delt with in my life. I just want others to know not to do business with them.
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   Tommaso 0 Votes
English is not my mother tongue. Consider how it is difficult for me to understand all the nuances of this contracts. It is horrible how i easily got caught in this trap. I hope that thanks to the previous posts i can get out of it.
 2nd of Mar, 2010 by   jmrom 0 Votes
I did not order books from this company but had 2 sets of books sent to me - cookbooks and an adult novel. They charged my brand new Chase freedom credit card - not sure how they got the number but it seems that the order may have been initiated through my credit card company - Chase. All my charges so far are local businesses where we walked in and swiped the card.

The book club claimed they could not tell how or where I signed up for this. It seems they send these packages under many different names and charge the charge card with different names but when you call 717-918-2665 it is the customer service for all of them.
The charges showed up under these names on my credit card bill:
BOMC2(Other)
BMC*TGC WITH BH G COOK(Other)
They were followed by the book packages.

Oddly, Chase 1) didnt want to cancel the card and issue a new one, they kept telling me this was not fraud and I accidentally ordered the book club subscriptions 2) offered me a fraud protection package for a fee
 18th of Mar, 2010 by   Gail Long 0 Votes
I am having the same problem with this so called "Children's BOMC" if there is anything that I have learned so far is this company is more than just childish! It is an evil money scam and fradulent. I wish I would have been able to check this website first. Once bitten twice shy in North Carolina .
 27th of May, 2010 by   Dr.Eric 0 Votes
You know... you see offer's from clubs like Children's Book-of-the-Month Club... and you say to your self: "Self, don't be stupid and get fooled into thinking you're going to get a great deal and not have to deal with aggravation in the end. This deal is NOT too good to be true." Then you wake up and smack yourself, and say damn it... why didn't I listen to myself???

As usual, I got sucked into their supposedly great offer... it is a great deal... I believe it was buy four books now at about $2 with free shipping or something really low, and you only have to buy four more books in the next two years at regular price. Then, they throw in the real kicker... if you add two more of the books to your 1st order, they will only be $5 each, with minimal shipping as well.. so your commitment goes down to two more books in the next two years. That's where the "good stuff" ends.

The 1st order came and four of the six books were there... the other two were on back order... which was fine. Then came number 5 and a couple weeks later came 6. So now we are on high alert, looking in the mail every day... trying to make sure we don't miss that all-elusive envelope containing the "featured selection" of the month... and whether we want it or not. So we continue to look and are baffled that we haven't seen it yet. Cause, to be honest, we'd rather pick the last two books, rather than have them send us anything... wouldn't you? At the last moment, my wife, throwing away one of the boxes the previous books came in, she finds the "featured selection" envelope. Wish they would have told us they were going to slip it in with all the other papers of the previous order we had. We'd been looking for the envelope to be all by itself. So we dodge that bullet, barely.

So, May 25, 2010 (the next month), I notice a $26.98 charge on my credit card from Children's Book-of-the-Month Club. It's so funny, because I just KNEW that we weren't magically going to get the "featured selection" card in the mail so they could send it out to us at FULL CHARGE. Why is this beneficial for them? Because they also have specials much of the time, where you can just buy the last two books you need to, at a reduced price and with reduced shipping... saving you maybe half the month on your last two books. I honestly believe they did NOT send the featured selection card so they could bill us. And of course, when you go to find out about them, it's very difficult. I tried to check up on them at the Better Business Bureau and even that was somewhat difficult. Then, when I seemed to piece together some address, business names and phone numbers, I found them on the BBB.com website with an A+ rating. I'm like... WHAT!!! How can that be? Then you go down and look at all the complaints... and they are pretty much all resolved. So, apparently what happens is, they screw as many people over as possible... not caring at all in the process, and then once someone makes a complaint, they take you seriously, and resolve your problem as long as you'll take away the complaint and agree to disappear into the night. What they are getting away with, is pissing on you and anyone else they can, and then when you finally say something to big brother, they are like... "So sorry about that, didn't mean to get it in your mouth and all."

What makes me most made is that the BBB has them rated as A+ because they resolved the problems. They have 465 reported complaints in the last 12 months... that's 1.3 complaints filed per DAY! I can only imagine the number complaints would be MUCH HIGH if the average JOE could figure out how to actually track these jokers down or make the complaint against them on the BBB.com website. At first, I had a hell of a time trying to find anything about them. I typed in Children's Book-of-the-Month Club... and it wouldn't show, up.. so I started Googling phone numbers and FINALLY found them.

Anyone that wants to call them on the phone, here's a list of posted phone numbers along with a long list of alternate names and address for these jokers. Enjoy.

(the following is straight from the BBB.com website):

Business Contact and Profile
Name:

Direct Brands, Inc.
Phone:

(717) 697-0311
Address:

1225 South Market Street, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
Business Category:

Books-New, Book/Record/Tape Club, Internet Shopping Services, Mail Order & Catalog Shopping, Video Tapes & Discs-Dealers
Web Address:

January 1960
Primary Contact:

Mr. Marcus Wilhelm (CEO)
Complaint Contact:

Ms. Brenda Stevens (Complaints)
Other Contacts:

Doubleday large print
Early Childhood Teachers
Equestrians Edge
History Book Club
Home Style Books (Country Homes & Gardens)
Insightout Book Club

100 Pine Avenue, Holmes, PA 19043, Delaware County

6550 E. 30th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46219, Marion County
P.O. Box 91602, Indianapolis, IN 46291, Marion County
Google map Mapquest map Yahoo map
One Penn Plaza, 250 West 34th Street, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10119, New York County
1400 N. Fruitridge Avenue, Terre Haute, IN 47811, Vigo County

(800) 901-5545
(800) 965-9665
(800) 590-6656 (FAX)
Customer Complaint History

The company's size, volume of business and number of transactions may have a bearing on the number of complaints received by the BBB. The complaints filed against a company may not be as important as the type of complaints, and how the company has handled them. The BBB generally does not pass judgment on the validity of complaints filed.

Number of complaints processed by the BBB
in the last 36 months: 935
in the last 12 months: 456

Complaints Concerned:
Selling Practices (190 complaints)
190 Resolved
Advertising Issues (36 complaints)
36 Resolved
Service Issues (180 complaints)
180 Resolved
Customer Service Issues (48 complaints)
48 Resolved
Credit or Billing Disputes (278 complaints)
278 Resolved
Delivery Issues (57 complaints)
56 Resolved
1 Company made every reasonable effort to resolve
Refund Practices (17 complaints)
17 Resolved
Product Quality (2 complaints)
2 Resolved
Contract Disputes (127 complaints)
127 Resolved
Government Actions

The BBB has no information regarding Government Actions at this time.
Advertising Review

The BBB has no information regarding Ad Reviews at this time.
Additional Information

According to information supplied by the Company, Bookspan was formed as a result of a merger between Book of the Month and Double Day Book Club. The Bureau opened its file on Book of the Month in 1979.

------------------------------------

Sad that the BBB will simply look at their "resolved" issues and grade them as an A+ business. So what do you call a business that doesn't have 465 complaints in a year to resolve??? A++++++++++++++++++++???

Anyway... good luck in report them and trying to get whole again... I'm sure I'm going to have fun with this.
 20th of Jun, 2010 by   Spdygonz82 0 Votes
Just like you folks, I was fished onto this scam as well; the first deal was unbeatable, so i bought into it. After making the first order, I was charged $44.55 for an order I did not place. What the hell? What kind of contract agreement does that? Can anybody explain what actions were taken to stop this scam from ripping you off? I called my bank, but it was close. I will try to resolve this tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Since the books have not been shipped because the $44.50 charge has not gone into my account, they must be able to stop it and return my money...So can someone explain what steps were taken to resolve this scam? Thank you in advance,

Danny.
 15th of Jul, 2010 by   Rockster8 0 Votes
I live in Canada, and I have never heard of this company before. They charged me twice on my credit card, one under BOMC2 for about $11.38 on July 11, 2010 and one under BMC*CHILDRENS BOOK CLB for $22.94 on July 13, 2010!! And I didn't even get ANY books, not that I would like some children books as I don't even have any kids. I've made a transactional dispute and I hope this company goes down for fraudulently charging people for things they did not sign up for!!
 29th of Jul, 2010 by   Christine Lemieux 0 Votes
I ordered a cook book thru amazon books. I paid shiping & handling.I paid 18.46 I never signed up for bomc I was billed 48.06 that was taken out of my acc. How do I go about getting this money back?

email me at baerc49@yahoo.com
 17th of Aug, 2010 by   nana 16 0 Votes
I have the same complaints, I keep getting charged on my credit card 42.00 a mo. for the last few mo. I send back the books .Can I please get my money.And cancel this I Don;t want my card charged anymore. email me at ishop48@yahoo.com
 28th of Oct, 2010 by   LLL2010 0 Votes
I too am being charged fraudulently by this company. I've never been to their site, never received any books, yet they keep charging me. I called their number and they said they had no account for me (of course not since I never ordered). They claimed they could not look up the credit number to see who was using my card! I disputed with my credit card company and the company charged me again the next month! And what really gets me is this is on a credit card I canceled a year ago! I don't understand how they could even get authorization on a closed credit card. This is outright fraud. I've ordered other books off Amazon also, which makes me wonder if that is how they got my credit card number.
 2nd of Nov, 2010 by   ilovegreens 0 Votes
Yes. I'm also wondering how they got my credit card number. Now they are selling my credit card info to other companies. Beware if you get charged for "BOMC2" and "TRUSTEDID". Never signed up for any of this!
 14th of Nov, 2010 by   Msmith2267 0 Votes
I have had a very similiar problem! I actually did sign up for the club and was supposed ringer free shipping however I was charged $14.00 for shipping. Being unable to find a phone number on the website I sent my first email. Within 48 hours I recieved an email back that was very generic and had absolutely nothing to do with anything I had said in my email so it was very obvious that no one even read my email! So I sent my 2nd email and stated how upset I was that my email wasn't read and then restated my original complaint. I then received the exact same email back from them! By this point I was really mad and sent several more emails back to them and received the exact same generic response from them! Fjnally after about 8 emails I received one last very generic email back from them stating that my problem was being taken care of but never actually stating what my complaint was. Needless to say my debit card wasn't credited back the $14.00! I can't find any way to actually call a live person so throw a fit to! Anyones ideas on what to do would be greatly appreciated!

Useful Tips How to Cut Moving Costs