logo

MyGiftCardSite
UNABLE TO USE!!
2. (11 mins ago)
newessays.co.uk
Company rips customers off and provides nothing
3. (27 mins ago)
American Airlines
Unaccompanied Minor Policy/ Children left alone!
4. (31 mins ago)
fugenx.com
Their work is horrible, slow and doesn’t worth of your money
5. (32 mins ago)
NEESA LEISURE LTD, Gandhinagar
Non payment of fixed deposits payment by Company

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Greg Neeley

6.6 Duramax Fuel injectors

General motors
California
I have a 2003 Chevrolet 2500 HD pickup with the 6.6 Duramax diesel engine. At 35, 000 mi the fuel injectors went bad and they were replaced under warrenty. The injectors carry a 7yr 200, 000 mi warrenty. At 81, 000 and 6 yrs, only 46, 000 from the first replacement, the injectors went bad again. I took the vehicle to a dealer and they charged me $190 to inspect and tell me what was wrong. They stated my injectors were bad but not covered under the warrenty??? They stated that cleaning the injectors needed to be done. I paid the $300 to clean the injectors, but the injectors were still bad. The dealer stated that GM would not replace the injectors under warrenty because they were not bad, but the truck still wasn't running correct. I ask if my injectors were bad and they stated yes but not under warrenty?? They said it would cost $5000 to fix, I said NO! I came home and called GM customer care, issues with warrenty, and told them my story. They in there wisdom called the dealer to find out the story and only took there side. They told me that they would not cover my bad injectors because the dealer said so, no second opinion or anything, just no. I still don't understand why they won't replace my injectors but are giving fair warning to everyone else out there that this has to do with $$ and if you are thinking about a new vehicle it would be wise to get away from any GM product as they are sure to go under with the way they treat there customers. I for one am switching to Ford and will never purchase a GM product again.
Comments United States Cars, Parts & Vehicles
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Nov, 2009 by   J/W 0 Votes
2003 2500 Duramax Crewcab 4x4 91, 000 miles, and white/gray smoke from exhaust at idle. Dealer told me 5 injectors sticking, and $3000.00 to replace these five, as they are not covered under the extended injector warranty.

Time for a new P/U, and it WILL NOT ever be another GM Product. You see, I also have a 1996 Dodge 2500 ex-cab, 4x4 Diesel, 209, 000 miles and still going strong, despite driving it like I stole it.

Why would anyone buy a GM Duramax if they won't sytand behind their product?
 27th of Dec, 2009 by   peavler1986 0 Votes
i would say time to find a new dealer and dont go ford i had a 2003 f-250 had 16 injectors 4egr valves and and numerous updates that everytime hurt the performance on the vehicle in warranty total of 16 injectors out of warranty a high pressure oil pump 4 more egr valves inline fuel pump radiator injector wiring harness turbo cleaning and last but not least an ipr and icp valve work done in warranty worth $7200 in two years in the one year out of warranty grand total 12, 350 dollar +- a couple bucks now i have a 2003 duramax 155k miles no problems just a lot of oil changes dont do a ford it will be your biggest regret
 12th of Jan, 2010 by   DomenicG 0 Votes
20o5 duramax diesel lly w/(78900) miles injector issues with moisture contamination ???????.

The problem I'm having is the warranty (GM) will not cover injectors due to moisture for a prolonged time that has rusted the hard lines going to the injectors. A Question I had given to the gm costumer assistance people is why do the install an item that would be potential to rusting and no real explanation to that was given but that I have moisture or have had moisture.
I have talked to a diesel fuel quality assurance person for shell oil and was told the caricaturists of diesel would have moisture in it and is inevitable. That is why they put water separators in diesel run products and diesel is a low refined product and still meets quality standards.

R&R of fuel tank steam clean tank replace all hard lines with new, fuel rail's injectors (NEW) will not install re manufactured.

This repair through the dealer is costing me $6700.00
This is to get even for the recall for the earlier models the(GM) had accrued.
 14th of Sep, 2010 by   TonyModel T 0 Votes
The injectors on my 2003 HD failed at 60, 000, they were replaced under warranty. At 96, 000 they have failed again. This time the dealer says I am liable. Apparently the 100, 000 mile power train warranty doesn't cover second time repairs which are only warranted for 12, 000 miles or 12 months.
Has anyone started a group law suit?
 25th of Oct, 2010 by   Big Martin 0 Votes
2003 Chevy 3500. Number set of injectors. 260, 000 miles. Dealer said I was using dirty fuel. Bull!!! Last set lasted 75, 000 miles. they assurded me that that is the life of a set. Bull! Going to look at a Dodge. I have brought my last GM product. If a law suit gets started, I'll be in line for that.
 27th of Nov, 2010 by   C D A 0 Votes
2003 Chev Duramax, injectors replaced by Chevrolet at 70, 000 miles, 4 years later (140, 00 miles) they went bad again, seems they are only good for 70, 000 miles. Even though I was told the first replacement set was warrantied for 100, 000 miles it was only for 3 years, $4, 000.00 out of my pocket repaired the problem, they did discount the repair by 20%. This, combined with a new transfer case, $2, 000.00, (pump rub if you are not familure with the problem) has convinced me to not buy another GM truck.
 7th of Dec, 2010 by   gto guy 0 Votes
03 gmc 3500 duramax inj done at 65000 128000 2 bad again gm didnt do crap im x gm tech @ service writer i know when thier blowing more smoke than my truck so i did them my self # 2 4 6 8 found little bits of metal some rusty in top of injectors none in tubing at all must of came from injector pump i replaced it too runs great pump came from gm reman injectors came from advance auto new gm only offers reman same price or cheaper it does take a injector tool gm will take our tax bail but know help for us thanks james in florida
 7th of Dec, 2010 by   Bonnie in Petaluma 0 Votes
Just to let you all know and thank you. We are looking for a truck. After reading this site and a few others, the Chevy is out. We can deal with any make having "lemons" or a few with certain problems, but we can't deal with a manufacturer who doesn't stand behind their product. Thanks to all of you for the warning.
 9th of May, 2011 by   Lucastom3 0 Votes
I'm going through the same problem, I paid for the 6 yeAr warranty, , why I have no idea, I bought the truck to haul my toybox so now with low miles well 48k low for 8 years old now I have the injector problem and now I got to pay out the ass for a problem that GM new about so instead of keeping there customers happy they are trying to rape me to fix it, I did take it in for one recall the tailgate cables, and what really pissed me off they could have had enough decency to take the made in china stickers off the cables so when I open my tailgate I didn't have to stare at the made in china on my chevy truck, sad situation when USA can't even make a little stupid cable.
 27th of Jun, 2011 by   ShawnP 0 Votes
I have an 01' with 88, 280 miles on it. Blowing black smoke going up hills and when I accelerate. Service engine light comes and goes off on its own. GM dealership said I am on my own out of warranty. GM help line says they will see if they can help. We will see.
 4th of Nov, 2011 by   steam555 0 Votes
I've got an 04 and thus far have had no problem until at 151, 000 miles I am getting a cylinder 4 misfire. I'm trying to up the additives and see if it'll go back to normal. Was thinking of having dealer do an ijector cleaning. Any thoughts?
 20th of Mar, 2012 by   klj64 0 Votes
I have 2003 GMC 2500 HD Duramax and have the same issue. All 8 Injectors were replaced at 114 k. My truck has 162 k and now dealership says 6 injectors are bad. Just started the process seems like they don't want to pay for the repair.Will give updates
Thanks Kevin (If there is a lawsuit I'm on the bandwagon)
 27th of Mar, 2012 by   K Stonehouse 0 Votes
I have a 2007 Chevy 3500 4x4 4dr with a Bradford Built flatbed, use it for hauling a horse trailer and at 30, 000 miles had alot of problems with the "Reduced Power" light coming on (reduced power means 25 mph regardless of where you are) after 6 trips to the dealership no recall was done and according to GM Service Techs an after market air intake would fix the problem...it did but had to pay for it out of my pocket!!!
At 84, 000 miles I started to blow black smoke on acceleration and going up hills, truck has been in the shop 3 times in the past 5 weeks... first time they reprogrammed computer and added updates, 2nd time they changed turbo sensor, this third time they changed EGR valve, still same problem. I went from 12mpg to 6 mpg, truck is going back to the shop for the 4th and last time for new injectors (covered under warranty as I verified with GM Powertrain Warranty this morning) if not fixed this time I will get the Lawyers involved. I understand that things break but I also understand that it is GM responsibility to fix it and fix it correctly. I have been a die hard Chevy guy for 20 years (this is my 4th Chevy truck in the past 20 years) I can also promise you it will be my LAST one.
 27th of Mar, 2012 by   K Stonehouse 0 Votes
This is a Diesel 6.6 l (LMM) engine...in 84, 000 miles i have also went through 4 u joints and both the front and rear slip yokes...DODGE, here I come!!!
 16th of Jun, 2012 by   T Munz 0 Votes
reading all of these horror chevy stories, has pissed me off, I have a 06 2500 diesel. if I knew back in 07 when I started to replace my fuel filters, I would have researched this issue. GM never said anything about a possible fuel injector problem to me. this last year my truck has 60, 000 miles and my fuel injector valve is failing., It seems so weird you can only get the part from GM for around 1, 000 and 13 hrs of labor to replace a part that only comes from GM. so they want $3, 000 from me to fix my truck, who in their right mind thought GM was looking to rape me and my family out of this much cash to fix a problem they should have fixed or gave us a heads up about the problem! GM sucks, i'll never buy a GM product or recommend a gm truck to anyone! T Munz in Las vegas!!!
 25th of Jan, 2013 by   Lesane 0 Votes
I am the owner of a 50 Chevy with a 6.6 Deisal, It has approximately 66, 000 miles and I am starting to Have problems with the engine running Bad Some times it will run smooth as the day that I bought it and the next minute it will run with a miss like a piece of junk I have owned GM trucks for a lot of years Makes me wonder did I make the right choice when I purchased this truck So if there is anyone out there thinking of buying one of these trucks it may not be A good idea Gm needs too address this problem.
 10th of Apr, 2013 by   up set man 0 Votes
I have a 03 CHEVY Duramax I bought new in 03. It has been a good truck for 10 years until this last week.I noticed some smoke at idle coming from the tailplpe. I pull an R V with this truck and just returned from a 3000 mile winter out west. My right front wheel was making some noise when I would back up. So after returning home I thought I would take it to a auto shop near my home to have it looked at. They called me back to tell me that my right wheel bearing is bad. And I should replace the left one also . At a cost of over a 1000 dollars. Then they told me that three of my injectors are leaking fuel into my oil. And I should replace all eight injectors at a cost of over 4000 dollars. I guess I' am still in shock.My truck still runs good with 94000 miles. After reading these complaints I feel that maybe GM has covered up a big problem with their diesel truck.
 12th of Apr, 2013 by   happymarble 0 Votes
i have had a oil leak that the source cannot be located, the fluid that leaks on the ground is like thin oil, my oil level never goes down, my oil pressure starts to drop over time, when i change oil, oil pressure comes back, it is believed diesel is leaking into my fuel from the injectors. is there a solution to this without replacing injectors? Brian 949-842-0472
 6th of Sep, 2013 by   Woodco Inc 0 Votes
I am the original owner or a 03 HD 2500 6.6 duramax payed over 40K, have loved my truck to death...I am @ 84, 000 mile, s and diesel is loading up my crank case and thinning my oil... (leaking injectors) at 40, 000 miles my GM service manager told me not to worry about Injectors, I have an unconditional warranty for 200, 000 miles. He never said there was a OR 7 YEARS!!!
So My injectors need replaced at a cost of $3, 400, With no warrenty...AT ALL. So they could leak in 1000 miles and I would have to come out of pocket again.
Obviously even the best diesel mechanics wont warrenty there work because they know they would take a loss. The thing is they "GM" admitted the problem, yet are trained to not warrenty the syptoms... even if the truck is still in the warrenty parameters.
THE OTHER THING TO THINK ABOUT IS...THE DIESEL LEKING INTO THE CRANKCASE OIL, THINS THE OIL, WHICH WEARS THE MAIN AND CONNECTING ROD BEARINGS, REAR MAIN SEAL, OIL PUMP AND ALL OTHER COMPONETS OF THE ENGINE,
SO WHEN YOU STRT SMELLING DIESEL THROUGH YOU AC VENTS...YOUR OIL IS CONTAMINATED WITH DIESEL..

WHACH YOUR OIL PRSSURE...
 2nd of Oct, 2013 by   SHERI MACHADO 0 Votes
I am the original owner or a 04 HD 2500 6.6 duramax payed over 40K, NOTHING BUT PORBLEMS...I am @ 120, 000 mile, s and ON MY SECOND SET OF INJECTORS THE FIRST SET WENT OUT AT 60000.So My injectors need TO BE REPLACED AT THE TUNE OF $4 400, With no warrenty...AT ALL. CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT IS NO HELP, THEY TOOK TWO WEEKS TO TELL US NO !!! WHATS NEW GM WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCT.I HAVE OWNED GM FOR OVER 20YRS ANDSPENT OVER 250000 ON GM CARS. " NEVER AGAIN " WARNING DO NOT BUY A DEISAL TRUCK

2010 Year End Tax Tips