logo

Posted:    Scammer Alert

Nigerian Scammers

Chemistry.com
New York
I wanted to alert you to the fact that there are scammers on this site. This person used the name of a real person, a picture and address. He was selected as one of my matches. After only two weeks of communication this person asked for money. Said he is working in guess where...Nigeria and was attacked by robbers. He asked me to wire 900 dollars. Of course I did not.

I wrote to Chemistry reporting this person and they keep emailing me a canned response back. People beware.
Comments United States Scam & Fake Checks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Apr, 2010 by   AMSoltani 0 Votes
Consider yourself lucky. Mine went on for 2 months and guess what, he got robbed and SHOT and wanted $2300 for surgery on his hand (in Africa). The funny thing was, be was able to email me with his bad hand.
This website is a BIG joke. Since that scam it has happened several times. They all want to IM you on Yahoo and when you want to meet they say they are out of the country on business.
I truly believe it is an inside job. It has to be because it happened to me twice last week. It has become a form of entertainment for me and my coworkers now but yes, finally quit.
Stay away.
 20th of Aug, 2010 by   we were stupid 0 Votes
I was on Chemistry & Match. I had a variety of dates from both sites, some of them quality and some of them made good stories. My girl friend joined match as well. She became the target of the African scammers looking for money. I got a few "hits' from guys who I could not figure out why they were flirting w/ me. (too young)
red flags. I think the loonies are just out there and its not an inside job.
But I do have to say that I met Mr. Right on Chemistry. As I posted on another thread, he is sleeping next to me as I write this and we have been together for more than 2 years. The wedding is this fall. So it can work for you.
Joining Chem Changed my life and I am so glad we found each other.
 25th of Aug, 2010 by   got sukrd 0 Votes
I just wasted a month corresponding with a man who also was in "Africa" on business. One month to the day that he contacted me through Chemistry.com, he was "robbed" and needed me to wire him$1800 so he could "get home". Of course I did not send it, but began researching and found this complaints board. BEWARE... I resigned from the site. Sad world we live in...
 25th of Aug, 2010 by   we were stupid 0 Votes
You are going to run into bad people everywhere you go. It doesn't matter what dating sight you go on. These people are looking for easy targets and peole looking for love can be just the type that can fall for a smooth talker with a pretty/handsome photo.
There are also guys out there who seem to start out legit but really only want to lure you into phone or web sex. I suspect many of these guys are married and have fake profiles up.
But then there are the people who are honest, real and are looking for love.
Just be smart, wade thru the BS, (know it when you see it) report/block the bad ones and keep looking. There is really no need to quit the sight because a a few bad apples.
Like I said in a prior post, I am currently in a relationship with the man I met on Chemistry (2+ years). I am also still in friendly convos with a few guys that turned out to be just friends and we keep in touch.
Don't give out your real emails/phone # until you are comfortable and have had a date or two.
If possible, Web cam before the 1st date. ( I call it the elimination round)
I also kept convos going with several guys, so as not to get attached with one. I kept my distance until I met Mr. right, then I eventually let my guard down.
ALWAYS plan the first few dates in a VERY public area. Lunch in a little resaurant, coffee at Starbucks, meet in a bookstore, walk your dogs at a busy dog park. Something that you can leave easily if it is not the best date.

Top 10 Mistakes in a Consumer Bankrupcty Case