logo

Incorrect order

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Chemistry.com Complaints & Reviews - Website is a scam!

Chemistry.com Contacts & Informations

Chemistry.com

Posted:    Bernie R.

Website is a scam!

DO NOT use this company! Their ads promise your 'first five matches are free', but after you fill out a twenty minute compatibility test and your personal information sheet, they claim to have found five matches for you BUT YOU CAN'T ACCESS OR CONTACT THEM WITHOUT SIGNING UP FOR THEIR SERVICE. You can't even verify if these are real people or whether they're just shills to get you to sign up. This website is a SCAM... if you jump through their hoops, you will just be WASTING YOUR TIME!

Comments United States Internet Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Jan, 2008 by   Satisfied 0 Votes
I can't get off their mailing list for the life of me. I've unsubscribed 10 times!!
 11th of Feb, 2008 by   Sandy 0 Votes
Jason

I completely agree. A total SCAM. I was on their site for a month - matches would disappear, the navigation is awful, there is no technical support, and of all the "matches" I did "select", not 1 came to fruition.

I relish the moment when I read of a class action suit.

In the past week they changed the software so as to no longer show photos in the summary screen. Useless!

I will be interested to see if they DO stop billing me.
 14th of Feb, 2008 by   Dinand 0 Votes
I got an account for a year (the $150 deal) and after about 5 days my account was disabled with the message that “There is a problem with your account. Please email Executiveteam@match.com for more information.”. I e-mailed the address stated but did not get a response. I have made it clear to them that if they do not solve the problem but simply think they can take my money and then screw me over they are mistaken. I had my lawyer check the user agreement and I’m going to sue if they don’t come up with a solution!!!

I refuse to be stolen from.
 17th of Feb, 2008 by   Charles 0 Votes
Their entire site is a fraud. Their "matches" are just whoever is within a 50 mile radius of your zip code. They couldn't even manage to send me "matches" of the right gender! Repeated emails to them about the total lack of any connection with the profiles they sent me (and the gender issues) were met with total silence on their part. This site is a total rip off.
 18th of Mar, 2008 by   John 0 Votes
I checked out the site.

They are using blocked (non-paying) profiles a viable contacts.
Without some kind of member status indicator... it is a law suit waiting to happen.

J
 26th of Mar, 2008 by   Karl 0 Votes
I get Spam from Chemistry.com that goes to an email address that I used ONLY to sign up at personals.aol.com with. PROOF that AOL either sells email addresses or else AOL is running this scam operation themselves at Chemistry.com.
 4th of Apr, 2008 by   ELBEE 0 Votes
CHEMISTRY.COM IS A SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!
I SIGNED UP FOR THE 3MONTH SPECIAL $99.
I THEN STARTED THEIR LONG AND STUPID PROCESS OF ACCEPTING MATCHES.
AFTER MORE THEN 2 WEEKS AND 38 MATCHES ACCEPTED AND NOT A SINGLE RESPONSE YES/NO FROM THOSE MATCHES I CALLED UP CHEMISTRY.COM AND ASKED FOR MY MONEY BACK. I JUST KNEW IT WAS A SCAM. AT FIRST THEY ARGUED WITH ME AND SAID IT WAS NOT TRUE AND THAT I HAD TO BE PATIENT BUT IN THE END THE BEST THEY WOULD DO IS TO CHANGE ME TO A 1 MONTH MEMBERSHIT(!) AT $50. THEY DID REFUND THE DIFFERENCE, BUT THEY STILL STOLE $50 FROM ME. ANYWAY I CONTINUED WITH THE ONE MONTH AND MAGICALLY I STARTED TO RECEIVE SOME INTEREST FROM SOME OF THE MATCHES. BUT HERE IS WHERE THE SCAM GETS EVEN BETTER. ALL THOSE MATCHES THAT WERE SUPPOSEDLY INTERESTED NONE OF THEM TRADED EMAILS WITH ME. THEY GOT UP TO THE POINT OF THE EMAILS AND THEN NOTHING MORE. EVEN AFTER REPEATED EMAILS FROM ME JUST TO SEE IF THEY WERE ALIVE AND REAL, BUT NEVER A RESPONSE.

I AM TOTALLY CONVINCED THAT WHILE THERE MAY BE SOME REAL PEOPLE ON CHEMISTRY.COM WHO HAVE PAID THEIR HARD EARNED $$$ BELIEVING LIKE I DID THAT THIS IS A LEGITIMATE WEBSITE THAT THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY ARE NOT MEMBERS AT ALL. THAT THEIR SPECIAL CHEMISTRY MATCHING IS JUST BULL SHIT AND THAT THEIR WHOLE WEBSITE IS A SCAM.

SHOULD ANYONE OF YOU DECIDE TO SETUP A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST THEM I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SIGN UP. THESE PEOPLE ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH!!
 5th of Apr, 2008 by   emmy dee 0 Votes
I agree with everyone that has posted on here. My membership expires tomorrow and today is the first response i have received. I am not unattractive and this website does nothing for someone's self esteem.
 11th of Apr, 2008 by   Ashley 0 Votes
Chemistry.com was the biggest waste of my money... I joined hoping to find a higher caliber of people thinking everyone had to pay.. well come to find out half the people are non-paying which means they can do nothing.. The time I wasted on the site I had 2 people say they were interested in me, (both way out of my criteria) and was told several times that my matching options needed to be changed in order to get matches...

Tried to complain and get a refund and was told about the no refund policy... here is the email..
Thank you for contacting us about your subscription. At this time, we apologize for any inconvenience, but we do not offer partial or full refunds on subscriptions. However, your account has been resigned, and you will retain full access of the site until MM/DD/YY.

For immediate answers to most questions, please visit our HELP section at: FAQ

Please take a moment to fill out this survey to let us know how we are performing.

Best of luck,

Your friends at Chemistry
Mary A

STAY AWAY FROM CHEMISTRY.COM
 18th of Apr, 2008 by   John Tims 0 Votes
This is discouraging to say the least. Just signed up for 3 months(i'll be watching out for the automatic billing). First 2 weeks lots of matches out of criteria. Now...nothing. just fake, inactive or inappropriate profiles i think(i'm in a major Metro area and go up to a week without any matches at all). Not anywhere near the matches i'd get on eharmony(not a big fan either). Maybe everyone else is meeting the old fashioned way.

JT
 26th of Apr, 2008 by   HUBERT G 0 Votes
I agree. All of these types of websites are scams. After a considerable amount of research I am /have dropped them all. These operations are a slick way of taking your money...thank god they didn't get ANY of mine. I won't give my credit card # to ANYONE !! This is just another way to steal your ID. hg
 1st of May, 2008 by   Christa 0 Votes
Total SCAM...I just contacted the Better Business Bureau to complain about this company. It will probably do nothing, but I received a similar e-mail as Ashley, above...

The matches are not real
There was no reason to send your preferences, as they tend to send anyone...for example..I am caucasian, I wanted caucasian matches...I would say 75% of my "matches" were Asian or Arabic...I am just not attracted to those races. I just stopped going to the site and thought it was over. That is, until I checked my bank account statement and noticed they had charged me another $50 for another month! No warning, no asking if it was ok, no asking if I was satisfied...NOTHING. I sent an e-mail to Customer Service and got the same e-mail Ashley got above.

I will continue to fight this one website at a time if I have to.

Do NOT use chemistry.com.
 8th of May, 2008 by   kevin 0 Votes
I agree with everyone on here. Just inactive user after inactive user. I'm getting to the point where I'm saying I'm interested in everyone to see if anyone responds. Absolute fraud. They better not continue to bill me after my one month is up.
 10th of May, 2008 by   Wednesday_Addams 0 Votes
I paid for 6-months worth of subscription to Chemisty.com but after only 2 days into the subscription period, their company blocked my account, stating that there is a problem with my account and that I should contact the executiveteam@match.com for more information. I did as instructed and after 4 days, got a response from executiveteam stating that no accounts were found under my name and or email address. WTF. I just paid $159 for a disservice and I couldn't even unsubscribe because I couldn't access my account. I bombarded them with emails to terminate my subscription to chemistry.com. When I didn't get any confirmation that my account has been unsubscribed, I called 1-800-92-MATCH. After telling a customer service representative the problem with my chemistry.com account, she said i should call chemistry.com's 1-866-610-MEET since it's where I have an account and not with match.com. So I called chemistry and they said that yes, the executiveteam@match.com has blocked my account, they can't do anything about it, and that I should email them again. I called match.com and they told me the same thing. At this point I was murderous. They had better not renew my subscription. To everyone on the online dating scene: Do not use Chemistry.Com. They do not deliver the kind of service that you expect as a paying subscriber and they will leave you hanging in the dark when they choose to.

CHEMISTRY.COM HAD BETTER NOT RENEW MY SUBSCRIPTION!
 11th of May, 2008 by   D. Newcome 0 Votes
I don't think its a scam, but rather is VERY POORLY RUN! I signed-up for three months, and found one match to be a woman who I had asked-out in February 1, 2003 (the day of the Space Shuttle Disaster, to give you some time perspective) only to have her return to an old boyfriend. I asked her out again, and she told me she was leaving the service. Similarly, I was matched with another woman who I had been out with on three dates on E-harmony in December 2007 and January 2008. She told me that she was dissatisfied and leaving as well. Lastly, I was matched with a woman whom I had not asked-out, but who I recognized from my first days that I joined Match.com on early January 2003. She said she too was leaving because the number of matches was very low. I have been a member now for two months without any compatible local mathes (ie., within an hours drive) and I will certainly not renew. Its not a scam, but is rather very poorly run, and I don't know how you fix it. I suggest they just throw-in the towel, admit their failure and close the entire site down. They tried to copy the approach of E-harmony and just failed.
 11th of May, 2008 by   Lois 0 Votes
I totally agree with every complaint on this board although I wish I would have read this before signing up. I did the free sign up, then went to cancel before paying and low and behold the one person I was interested in showed an interest. I paid for a month, and then of course he disappeared. I totally think Chemistry.com does this to get people to sign up. Nobody seems to respond to interestI sent a complaint to the customer service and received nothing back from them. issues. DO NOT SUBSCRIBE. I just cancelled my membership a week early because I know sometime this week I'll just happen to get some email saying that someone's interested.

Also, for anyone doing this online dating, please check out romancescams.org. They have photos that are used for many scams. I had some of these show up on another online dating site so please be careful.
 6th of Jun, 2008 by   David 0 Votes
Wow don't even get me started on this site. First of all I signed up for a their program after a bad break up wanting to find someone I was truly compatible with much like the catchy new commercials. So I signed up for a 3 month membership and from the moment I signed in I knew I had just wasted my money. Not only did half the matches not have pics (which usually means that they are not paying members) most of them weren't the right ethnicity I had requested to be matched with and none of them had similar interest regarding age, religion, etc. To top it off after adding about 38 active matches I go no response whatsoever. It's not like I'm a bad looking guy at all. I'm athletic(and I mean really athletic not ex footaball player chubby), good looking, college educated but yet no interest. So I called them and they told me the offered no REFUNDS and that the reason I was not getting any responses was because I many of them may no be paying members. So I just told her forget it cancel my membership and just make sure I'm not billed after the 3 month period. So my advice to you is stay FAR AWAY from chemistry.com they are just another dating site that cost WAY too much for no results.
 12th of Jun, 2008 by   A.D. 0 Votes
So wish I had seen this before I jumped in. But I am in total agreement - stay clear of Chemistry.com. It's horrible for the self-esteem. Terrible in giving you what you want - which is both insulting to you and to the other person. I was very specific with what I was looking for, and the matches I got were also specific in what they were looking for in both ethnicity and body type, and yet they kept getting sent to me. What made this even worse was the fact that I'd read through their profiles, find I had a lot in common and get more than a little annoyed, and slightly hurt, when I looked at their preferences and found I didn't meet any of them. They need to shut this site down. So for those of you with charges that you didn't authorize, or those of you concerned that they will charge you - contact your credit card company - and let them know that you got caught in the scam of Chemistry.com and dispute the charges. Trust me - the disputes department truly enjoy going after people such as this. The more this happens - the more damage to Chemistry.com - the faster it goes away.
 20th of Jun, 2008 by   A 0 Votes
I had a bad experience too with match.com but it was only because my ex-husband got ahold of my bank account info and put up a bunch of bogus info about me then sent a bunch or whorish replies to dudes who I didn't even know... I contacted my bank, credit card company and match.com as well as the police. I got my money back out of him and the bank refunded my money as well so at least I was in the black... unfortunately the retarded police department slapped his hands and made him pay a fine of less than $200... last time I checked, wasn't this like Identity theft and fraud and shouldn't this be punished by a federal court? Guess it doesn't count if you marry a dumb ass and divorce him because his drunk ass only decided to get sober after watching his drinking buddy die of cirrhosis of the liver, not for his wife or kids or anything... justice sucks, lawyers suck and in general... ex-husbands should have no right to do squat period especially if their drunk asses don't remember being married for the first 13 years of a 14 year marriage...
sorry, just a bit bitter on the whole dating thing anyway... Use a credit card and let them deal with the freakin company if you can't get your money back... My bank was great in all of this... the only ones who saved me from going postal... (not really)
 10th of Jul, 2008 by   Michelle 0 Votes
I had signed up for Chemistry.com. Per my state's law regarding contracts, I have the option to cancel my agreement with Chemistry.com within three business days and be eligible for a full refund. I signed up on a Friday night and cancelled my membership on the following Monday morning. During that weekend I realized I was not receiving any matches close to what I was looking for. I cancelled online and also called the 1-800 number to verify my resignation and received a resignation number. For my refund I had to jump through a few hoops...fill out a form indicating I was cancelling with as signature, username, and email. I complied with all of this and mailed the form to them.

I still have yet to receive my refund. $50 wasted for absolutely nothing. I called today and was told my account has been blocked. How is that possible? I cancelled my account weeks ago and now I am blocked? I was transferred to a manager, and then told that the corporate office would contact me. I have never heard another word from chemistry. I am going to try again tomorrow, but this is ridiculous!

Tips For Finding Work Over 50