logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
fret12.com
Seller refused to take items back
2. (32 mins ago)
offleaseonly
damage cars instead of a car
3. (32 mins ago)

Posted: 2011-07-28 by    itsaracket

declined check

Certegy
Neosho, Missouri
Class Action - I'm in. Certegy and companies like them are nothing but a racket! I went to the DG yesterday, right next door to my office so I frequent it often. Wrote a check from my business account for $11.84 that was declined. I get a declined check reciept with Certegy's phone number. I call them and they tell me the check was declined due to an adverse report from a 3rd party which is Clear Check and tell me to call 1-800-859-3170. I call this number which is not Clear Check it is TRS Recovery Services - debt collection and also Telecheck. Of course I cannot talk to a human so I go through the telephone prompting which is inquiring about the check that was just declined - routing/acct #, check # and amount - it just continues to ask me the same things but never seems to process through. So I call Certegy to tell them that Clear Check is no longer Clear Check and that the phone number they gave me is not working properly - they tell me that they are not aware that Clear Check is now a different company and do not have any other contact information for Clear Check. I had my identity stolen in Dec 2010 but thought I had eveything cleared up but thought I better check just in case there was something out there I was unaware of, I ran a credit report on all 3 reporting agencies and everything is crystal clear, my score at all three agencies is in the high 700's and no dings anywhere. So now I am at an empass - I don't know what to do and am scared as hell to write a check anywhere because I don't know which retail business use Certegy and I certainly don't want to go through the embarassment of last evening.

So bottom line - If anyone is aware of a class action I will join in a New York minute.
Comments United States Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Jun, 2008 by   BRANDY PATTERSON 0 Votes
I went to beauty brands to buy some product. To my surprise my check was declined. I do not have poor credit and I pay my bills. I also could have paid for my products 100 times and still had money in my account. They gave me a c1 code which supposedly means I have unpaid checks. I talked to aaron who was very nice considering I was not. Although he was not very helpful. Aaron reports that this is a bank of america account that has been closed out. Well first off I do not nor have I ever banked with bank of america. I asked how this happened. Of course he has no information on this but he would be glad to disassociate the two. then he told me they were no longer linked and i should not have any problems from now on. first off I want to know how this happened and why? secondly if this honestly was the case how was he able to resolve this with the click of a button?????? I did call the company and let them know about this situation and hopefully they will choose another check company. I will not go back to this store until they do change.
 7th of Jul, 2008 by   Tara 0 Votes
I am out of town on a business trip and realized I left my personal debit card at home. I am staying at the Hyatt in Bethesda, MD and was thrilled when I saw that they offered check cashing services. I wrote a check for $100.00 and the hotel attendant told me I had been declined with a code 2. He was ignorant to what a code 2 was so I had him call Certegy back to investigate further. I didn't understand, as I had enough money to cover the check and hadn't had any check writing issues in the past. When speaking with the Certegy representative, Evadney, she confirmed the facts - 1) I had enough money in the bank and 2) I hadn't any check writing problems in the past - as if that made me feel any better. She told me it didn't fit my check writing profile and that they were protecting me... bull$#!@. Not only was I embarrassed, I was quite angry because it is evident that the technology tools used in their decision-making are inadequate. With that being said, they have cost Hyatt a customer as I won't return due to their collaboration with a company that clearly has subpar standards - something I generally don't associate with Hyatt. I will be forwarding my complaint to them as well.
 18th of Aug, 2008 by   Jen 0 Votes
I tried to write a check to Sears for $411.12 and when the cashier tried to process it he received an error. He asked me if I had problems with identity theft, and I had not, but there is credit monitoring on my bank account due to issues Peoples United Bank had earlier this year with the loss of tapes with un-encripted customer data on them, so the monitoring is more of a safety measure even though I have not had any issues with my account.

He called the 1-800 # and the automated message told him my check was declined for a "code 2". He asked to speak with an agent and they were of no help at all. We were just told to call another 1-800 #. I went through the automated prompts and the reason I got was that there was nothing wrong with my check, but it was denied as a security measure and that the info was relayed to the merchant. I then asked to speak to an agent to find out more details. She looked up my transaction and said there was nothing she could do. I asked if I would be able to write another check and if it would go through. She told me she could not guarantee that it would go through but that it probably wouldn't. She told me the reason why my check was denied was because I had not written enough checks with the retailers on their list, even though I have already written over 1500 checks from my account without an issue. She said the only thing she could do for me was to send out some info for me to fill out which would authorize them to view more of my account information.

I ended up having to withdraw cash from an ATM in order to complete the purchase.

This was a very embarrassing experience and has now made me gun shy of trying to write a check for any future purposes for fear that the same thing would happen again. Something needs to be done about Certegy. Honest customers should not be treated like criminals. I know I was not the first nor will I be the last honest customer who will have a check rejected for no logical reason at all.
 14th of Nov, 2008 by   Hazel Sultan 0 Votes
I just tried to write a check at Bloomingdales in the amount of $189.44 today, November 14, 2008. I was told the transaction cleared but that the initial decline could not be overwritten.
I want to be absolutely sure that this transaction did not go through AND I want a letter confirming and apologizing for this inconvenience.
Thank you.

Hazel Sultan
C/O Capital Group, Inc.
Legal Department
11100 Santa Monica Blvd., 17th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90025
 17th of Nov, 2008 by   diane turner 0 Votes
I only go to Gamestop with my son to pick out games maybe twice a year. Last year I had a problem using a personal check at this store because they use Certegy - it was declined. I have never ever had a check declined until going to Gamestop who uses Certegy. I called the rep at Certegy and they said "it was a typo error in the system". They also guaranteed that this error was "FIXED" in their system. So after almost a year again, I go back to Gamestop (knowing that this time no problem should happen)...Well BINGO, it happened again - this time for a small amount of $14. After putting this purchase on my credit card I immediately called Certegy One More Time... I was told again it was some kind of "error" but within 78 hrs check back and it should be fine. I called Certegy after the 78 hr period and she confirmed it was fixed... But this time I asked for a Letter to be sent to me confirming this. So I am waiting now for the letter to come. But believe me - I did and I will still follow thru with a statment that I made to the Certegy rep and that was, " I am calling Gamestop to let them know because they keep using Certegy they have lost me as a customer"... and then I will show them my letter when I get it in the mail...
 20th of Nov, 2008 by   Nancy 0 Votes
On 11/19/08 at Toys R Us, my husband and I were Christmas shopping for our child. We attempted to pay by check. There was question about the funds being in the account. Our check was declined by Certegy. I called the customer service # for Certegy while still at the customer service desk in the store and the only reason they gave was "...not based on my personal data, but on some fraud prevention profile." What is this crap? I do not use credit cards, but was able to complete with my debit card after the most 30 embarrasing minutes of my life. How is this legal? I have never been so humiliated. The manager at Toys R Us was very kind, but his hands were tied. So many people staring while they were waiting. I am outraged.
 16th of Dec, 2008 by   watash 0 Votes
I tried to pay for a purchase of 17$ at the local Circle K and was declined by you, my check is good and I do not write bad checks. What's your issue with my checks?

M. Baggett
lollygag12000@yahoo.com
 14th of Feb, 2009 by   Lisa 0 Votes
I have had the same experience as many here. I was in a Walgreen Drugstore at Jupiter Rd. and E. Northwest Hwy. in Dallas today and had a check declined. Yes, i called my bank immediately and, of course, there were ample funds there like almost every one here but that didn't take away the embarrassment and anger I felt. We have had this checking account for over 30 years and have done business with this Walgreens since it was built almost 10 years ago. Just last week I made a purchase of $404.00 in the pharmacy with no problem and yet, they would not accept today's check of 64.64.

Certegy gave me the excuse that my check number and the amount set off a "theft" flag and that whether or not I had funds in my account was not the issue. How is it that a company has the right to tell you WHEN and WHERE you can write a check??? I'm just livid!

I have (and encourage all of you) to report your stories to the FTC, the BBB and the AG of your states. Upon doing a little further research, I suggest writing the owners/managers of the stores where your checks were declined. It seems that Certegy has been aided by the very stores we do business with on a daily basis. I found the following in the July 2007 Business Technology article:

"Certegy provides background scans that tell retailers if a customer’s check is good or not. To run these scans, retailers give Certegy a customer’s name, address and bank-account number."

These merchants are giving our information directly to Certegy. While Certegy harbors most of the blame, it irritates me that someone I've been doing business with for almost 10 years thinks little enough of my business that I need checking out and no...I have NEVER written them a bad check ever, ever. But I'm guessing they don't need my $400.00 that they make off our pharmacy bills anymore either. I'd rather pay more and get less hassle.
Goodbye Walgreens!

I hope you all find some way to resolve the Certgey issue. Personally, I'll be looking for responses from all the agencies I've written to and will be looking to see what kind of civil case arises from this (if any).
 14th of Apr, 2009 by   CertegyHater 0 Votes
Orchard Supply Hardware declined my check for $678 from an account where I had over $40, 000. I was stunned. The number they gave me at OSH led to Certegy. Certegy explained that it had to do with "patterns" of checks where they felt uncomfortable guaranteeing the check to OSH. What "patterns"? Did they call the bank? Access the account? Anything? He couldn't say.
Excuse me?!?!?! His supervisor, Nathan Hunt, couldn't say either. But if I cared to fill out a form and get "Certegy Gold" certified, it might not happen again. I hit the ceiling - AND WHAT'S THE COST ON THAT, NATHAN? Why do I need YOUR blessing to spend my $40, 000??
I called the bank where the check was drawn. They were calmly horrified and told me that Certegy does this all over and has been doing this for years. They told me to look on the internet - complaints about them are all over.
Slowly but surely, I am deciding to take my checks elsewhere, OSH.
 1st of May, 2009 by   Disab51 0 Votes
I usually make purchases with my debit card on 99% of my transactions. For some reason on 04/28/09, I decided that I would write a check to pay for my new eyeglasses. My mistake. Lenscrafters uses Certegy for check verification. When the store employee ran my check through their system, my check was rejected by Certegy. I was MAD AS HELL. For some reason, Certegy says that I had written bad checks out of state for purchases at Kmart and Circuit City. Merchants only accept checks drawn on local banks so why would I have written checks that are drawn on an out of state bank. I was given a Certegy card by the merchant and I promptly went home and started the fact-finding about this error. I was told that my name and driver's license were used on an account from Louisiana. I don't even use the bank that the Louisiana checks were drawn on. No other credit reporting bureau has this information on me so where did Certegy get their info? No bank has ever contacted me about fradulent checks nor has any subpeona/warrant been sent for me concerning bad checks. Fund recovery is usually the first thing that a bank will do in order to catch a thief. With all of the background checks and cross references that are in place within the banking industry, you would think that someone would have snapped and at least attempted to contact me to find out exactly what happened. I have filed a police report and have frozen my credit. I am also contacting Certegy almost daily to get as much information as possible about what is really going on. They are sending an affadavit for me to complete but after reading some of the other posts, I may not complete these forms. This company does sound rather shaky and suspicious to me as well. I will probably post again after I find out more.
 20th of Jul, 2009 by   astarchild 0 Votes
I went to an emercency vet on sunday ..my dog was very sick ..i gave them a check 2, 220.00and they put it through to certegy ...well they denied my check so i had to bring my dog home and in the middle of the night my dog passed away ...so what do i do now
 7th of Oct, 2009 by   GINA ROBESON 0 Votes
I HAD BRAKE WORK DONE ON MY 2000 FORD TARAUS THAT COST $217.35 . DIDN'T THINK THAT WAS BAD SO I HAD THEM DO THE WORK. LATER TO FIND OUT THAT THEY WOULD NOT ACCEPT MY CHECK DUE TO CERTEGY CHECK SERVICES NOT HAVING INFORMATION ON FILE. WHEN THE HAMMONTON DEALERSHIP WAS OPENED I TOOK ALL 3 OF MY CARS THERE AND SPENT WELL OVER 300 DOLLARS AT TIMES AND WROTE CHECKS WITH NO PROBLEM NOW THAT I AM FORCED TO GO TO THE NEAREST FORD DEALER BECAUSE I LIKE FORDS I GET THIS CRAP. MY DAUGHTER HAD TO USE HER CC TO PAY FOR THE VEHICLE WHICH MADE HER NOW GO OVER HER CARD LIMIT AND GET CHARGED EVEN MORE MONEY. I AM VERY UPSET THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED AND WILL THINK TWICE ABOUT GOING BACK TO THE EGG HARBOR TWP DEALER AGAIN.
 15th of Oct, 2009 by   barry walker 0 Votes
I tried to write a $30 check for gas when I was informed by a Murphy's emplyee that centerdy declined my check. I have plenty of money in my bank account and I demand that you fixthis problem asap! i've been holding on your telephone line for over an hour while
accessing tour website. I am about to leave to go back to murphy's to write another check and it had better go through this time. You people are rude and you play with people's lives like they are toys! I am going to join the mant lawsuits against you.
 17th of Oct, 2009 by   wayne312 0 Votes
I went to the Target in Canton and paid with my Target check card. The card was declined and I was asked if I wanted to use some other form of payment. I would not have a Target check card if I wanted to use another form of payment. I left the stuff and called Certegy. I was told that they have me linked to two closed bank accounts - neither of those bank accounts were the account that is used by the Target check card and neither is a bank I have ever done business with. I notified Target since this happened before that I will not be shopping at their store if they cannot use better check services. I have never had problems with a check other than Target.
 6th of Nov, 2009 by   preetha 0 Votes
all the websites try to make us fall on them through their attracting ads..people please i request you dont waste your hard earned money spending waste in believing this ads...
 17th of Nov, 2009 by   g3girl 0 Votes
This Certegy company must be stopped. I wrote a check at Big Lots today and was shocked to hear that it was denied. I normally use my debit card but didn't have it that day. I've never written a bad check in my life. And this, after the store clerk announced all my personal information over the telephone trying to get a live person herself. Even she was frustrated. I left that store embarrassed and absolutely livid. I called their toll free number and was so frustrated by the run-around, and the "canned" answer to my inquiry as to why my check was denied. I never could speak to a live person, and they ended up disconnecting me after their incompetence at trying to hear the spelling of my first name 5 times!! By now I was incensed! I then tried to find the Certegy web-site and discovered this Complaints Board with so many similar stories from other people. That fueled my anger with this company even more that I want to do something about it so that I do not have a repeat episode and others may be spared. What do we do????
 24th of Nov, 2009 by   soraya scott 0 Votes
I just got declined for a $26 check and I have over $1000 in my account. I called certegy and was advised by the rep. and his supervisor that the reason the check was declined was because of pattern of check writing, and they are actually trying to protect my account.
when I looked on certegy web site, I figured out why they are decling checks right and left. They want people to pay a yearly fee to become a certegy gold member, and then they will cash your checks. I cannot believe that they are actually blackmailing people to pay them an anual fee. I am planning on contacting the attorney general's office on this one. I am just pissed.
 2nd of Dec, 2009 by   Swab29 0 Votes
I submitted a check in the amount of $89.00 to Lowes for building supplies November 28. The check was declined by Certegy. The cashier handed me a slip from her cash register with a page of gibberish about the decline under a code one about "prior unpaid checks" whatever that means. After several calls to the 866 number I got a live body on
the phone. I was informed it was nothing at Certegy but a third party company called Early Warning Services in Scottsdale, AZ sent them information about my account. I was very confused and angry this company takes information from "anybody" and automatically assumes it is valid.
I contacted this Early Warning Services and the first words from the answerer was for my account routing No.s and my account No. I told her this smacked of a phishing scheme to me and asked for an explaination. I was informed that banks contact them about checks that are returned to the banks unpaid. That sounded more like the bank was so damn lazy it could not return the check from where it was deposited or contact the writer. Anyway, the person further states the check information is on their computer for 93 days. Basically I was told, whaterver the circumstances, you're not good for writing a check in their eyes, no matter what the circumstance, right or wrong!
Big Brother is truely watching you. Pretty soon cash is not going to be accepted because you look "funny".
 7th of Dec, 2009 by   Debbie Sue 0 Votes
My wife wrote a $21.12 check at The Dollar Store and was declined. We called Certegy and we were told that we had a check returned. We have been with our bank over 19 years and we have never had a returned check. We called our bank to check this out and they confirmed that Certegy was wrong. Our balance is modest but always more than adequate to cover our checks.

We have not been able to resolve this yet and my wife is afraid to try and write checks.

We would appreciate any help on this issue.
 25th of Dec, 2009 by   srrichards 0 Votes
I went to Target on 12/23/09 to make a purchase of 297.83 for christmas gifts. When I got to the cashier and tried to pay with a check I was told my check was declined. Sure that I had more than enough to cover the check I told her to run it again and there was no way my check was declined. Sure enough it was declined again and I was giving back the check with Certegy's information and contact number. Still in line and very upset, I called the number to get an automated system that after 5 minutes couldn't tell me why my check was declined but that it was for MY PROTECTION! After sitting on hold another 10 minutes I get a live agent and after speaking to her for some time I was told that I didn't have a bad check with them and they don't verify funds, but that the numbers on my check or on my account are too close to some one that is writing bad checks. Okay so since someone else is using bad checks I can't use my good checks to purchase anything. Then i am told there is no way to override the system and they have no control over it... Okay so let me get this straight, you are the check cashing company that declined my check but you can't verify funds and override the decline???? Hummmm, bad business, bad company, and Target and any other retail store that uses this worthless company will be out of business soon from pissed off customers. Every one that has encountered this situation with Certegy should file a BBB complaint!!! pronto!

Beware of Free Land Scam