logo

Wrong information on ID Card

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Certegy Check Services / Walmart, Louisiana Complaints & Reviews - Declined to cash a payroll check at Walmart

Certegy Check Services / Walmart Contacts & Informations

Certegy Check Services / Walmart

Posted:    JoeMech

Declined to cash a payroll check at Walmart

Certegy Check Services / Walmart
Louisiana
My fiance' went to Walmart to cash is payroll check tonight (July 15, 2009) . He'd been with this company for 2 weeks, and had cashed the first check with no problems. The Certegy check services gave a code / reason 2 / refusal to cash his company payroll check. We call the automated Certegy Check services line (phone number 866-278-5478) and the automated system apologized for any "inconvenience" and said the check was good and everything was ok, and they were "Sending the Merchant" approval for the check cashing... The Walmart money center workers said it refused it TWO more times... and would lock it out of the system for 24 hours on the third refusal. This is Bull SH*T with a capital BULL... My fiance' was livid. We called the Certegy check services after ALL THREE refusals to cash his check and each time the automated Certergy check services system apologized and said everything was OK AND was sending the merchant approval... THAT NEVER HAPPENED and we came home angry and without his check cashed. This is ROOK, with Certegy and Walmart. This happen a time or two before with him at his previous employment... We spoke to a live Certegy representative named Jennifer, and she assured us there was nothing wrong with my fiance' or the check and that the check just happened to fall into a pattern that looked like it might possibly be a faudulate check pattern, so the system rejected it and it should have accepted it the second and third times, and not refused it... but now that we had tried three times at Walmart we would need to cash it at another check cashing location. THIS IS UTTERLY REDICULOUS !! Why do we, the public have to put up with these insults and stupidity? We are just Trying to live and manage, and should not be subjected to this kind of CRAP. Walmart seems to be worse and worse with this sort of thing and this certegy check services should have their operating license revoked.
Comments United States Scam & Fake Checks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Jul, 2009 by   oldschool305 +1 Votes
Same BS happened to me last night, but I got reason code 1. I just started a new job two weeks ago and I've always cashed checks at Walmart without any issues until last night. I assume it has something to do with my employer's payroll. I'm am super pissed!!!
 5th of Sep, 2009 by   heather T. +1 Votes
well at least they tried to cash your mine here in ga refused to cash all checks on a friday night because they said they were really slow this week and didnt have the money
 11th of Sep, 2009 by   agoodapple 0 Votes
I have tried to cash my payroll check 2ce at walmart, both times declined, reason #2, cause it has the same pattern as a possible fraudulent check. It is a bummer. There is nothing wrong with my check. The people in front of me, both times had been declined, also. I wonder if it is a conspriacy, so we'll cash it someplace else, and then to get it onto their visa, we have to pay $4.24 or whatever crap that is.
 30th of Nov, 2009 by   simplyEarthian 0 Votes
Its isnt the person at walmarts fault, If the machine rejects it THERE IS NO WAY TO OVERRIDE THAT. Customers dont get that workers cant make the machines do whatever we want them to. And calling workers stupid? Obviously you have never had to work retail, because you sound like a bitch who expects everyone to bend to their will, sorry, cant happen.
 15th of Dec, 2009 by   Jenny12 0 Votes
Walmart has no control over that. It is the certegy check service. They are the ones who approve the check or deny it.
 5th of Jan, 2010 by   Julie MS 0 Votes
I agree this is BS. I think maybe Walmart should find a new service. To help them realize they need to, call the store head quarters and tell them you refuse to spend any further money in their stores if they dont fix the issue with this checking place. Shouldnt have to join some Gold club to cash your check or to make purchases.

Shop somewhere else.. Kick the merchant the guy who hired this company in the wallet.
 11th of Jan, 2010 by   mnangn 0 Votes
This happen to me i have never been able to cash a check at walmart i've work at wendy's and target now and they give me the reason code 2 i talk with some one on the phone and they saw it's nothing to do with me but some of my co worker have no problem cashing their check i think they are secretly profiling people they should use another service i have no problem cashing my check at publix but they have a 500 limit and i have never wrote checks so i know that's not the problem. I 'm going to complain to walmrt headquarter about the situation.
 28th of Jan, 2010 by   sara1066 0 Votes
If you don't like the way wal-mart does their check cashing then go somewhere else. Get a bank account and cash it there. Quit complaining about stuff that the wal-mart employees can't even do anything about. Wal-mart is the cheapest place besides a bank to cash anything...just be glad they aren't charging you 10-20% to cash a check. Get over it.
 17th of Feb, 2010 by   CR X13 0 Votes
I had the experience of having an extremely rude clerk when cashing a check at Walmart and she, after one attempt, handed me the receipt with the number to call saying it was declined. I figured it was something out of her control so I would just go home and call them up. After talking to Certigy I find out that the clerk entered the amount of the check in wrong and this caused it to be rejected. No apology was made by Certigy on behalf of Walmart and when I returned to cash it no more than 30 minutes later the girl asked if Certigy said why it was rejected. I politely (not rudely at least) told her that it was rejected because she entered in the wrong dollar amount and she then acted surprised when it was approved after doing her job correctly. Still she made no effort to apologize or make up for her error in any way. I guess that's what working at a dead end job does to a person like her.
 7th of Apr, 2010 by   Boludo87 0 Votes
I work at Walmart and trust me, it's not our fault. The system will refuse the check if Certegy refuses it. We can't do anything about it. We always say the computer is boss.
 8th of Apr, 2010 by   Oldschool3O5 0 Votes
@Boludo87 ... You're absolutely right! At first I was upset with Walmart mainly due to the clerk's attitude and her lack of clarification but eventually learned that it is 100% out of their control. It is Certegy... Some employees should be more empathetic towards customers and explain that they use a third party (Certegy) and for unknown reasons the check was declined. The lady who I spoke with just said, "Sorry, your check was denied." Handed me a receipt and said 'NEXT CUSTOMER'. Very rude.
 8th of Apr, 2010 by   summerbreeze 0 Votes
Well I have had them refuse to even try to cash my check at all. Saying they don't cash checks on night shift they should not have a commercial stating other wise if you ask me!
 19th of Apr, 2010 by   Universaltorment 0 Votes
Okay so you tried to cash it several times at Walmart and the customer service line you called said the check was fine. Instead of whining about a machine rejecting it, wait till the morning and take it to a bank. Problem solved. That is unless your trying to buy a load of drugs or a car in the
middle of the night, I think your going to be okay until 9 am.
 7th of Jul, 2010 by   kowaionna +1 Votes
In this day and age everyone is struggling to pay bills and living paycheck to paycheck, so the comment about needing the money to buy drugs in the middle of the night is nothing short of ignorant. I also had a bad experience with Walmart but I do realize it was not the clerk's fault for Certegy's faulty system. Having worked in retail for most of my life, I do agree that Walmart is not to blame, however implementing basic customer service skills is all I ever expect from someone working in...um, CUSTOMER SERVICE!
 17th of Jul, 2010 by   susanmdavis +1 Votes
wqalmart has no control over what checks go through or not. Why get mad at the clerk its not there fault
 27th of Nov, 2010 by   chadswife81 0 Votes
You obviously have no clue when you have a child that wakes up at 2 am and needs medicine or diapers or formula you do what you have to do sum of us are not fortunate to be able to WAIT so if you have never in your life had a need in the late hours you have no right to talk that was a very rude and not very well thought through comment. I am a mom and have had to live paycheck to paycheck so I know how it feels! Again if you think that a child needing a bottle at 2 in the mornig can wait... I pray you don't have the opportunity to be blessed with children!
 24th of Jan, 2011 by   swaf 0 Votes
I tried to cash a jackson hewitt anticipation loan check (jason hewitt advertises for walmar check cashing) and after walmart got my name, date of birth, ss# etc. The declined to cash it. When I went to another place to cash it they said that walmart already verified the check and that only they can cash it now making the check worthless. I had to get the check re-issued.
 3rd of Feb, 2011 by   Rainbowsockz 0 Votes
Some people have noted not being able to cash checks at Walmart because they have no money, or because it's the overnight shift. I hope, as a cashier, I can shed a little light on this. For the first instance of Walmart having no money... sometimes we run out of cash. Not like a register, but the entire store (including the cash office where registers can "loan" cash from). I've cashiered during such Friday-evening-crises, and can only advise someone to approach each cashier and ask them if they have x-amount in their till to cash your check. Maybe you'll get lucky, or maybe Walmart is broke and cannot physically pay you for your check.

For the second instance of it being an overnight shift, this is essentially the same situation as Walmart running out of money. Once registers have been emptied for the night, employees are locked away in the cash office to balance all of the tills. No money enters or leaves the cash office until the next morning. That means whatever cash if left in a till is all that cashier has until the next morning. That's an entire shift on one till. As a cashier, that's frightening. Different stores may have different policies, but I would not be surprised if some stores do not allow check cashing after the overnight has started. In fact, some Walmarts have "Money Centers" that close at 9 pm, and the registers are set up so cashiers couldn't cash your check if they wanted to.
 9th of Mar, 2011 by   openyourmindsA-holes -2 Votes
1st of all... i dont know why people were getting all pissy... the original post blamed the check service and NOT wal-mart...i never saw anything about wal-mart employees being stupid or to blame. 2nd of all, sometimes it IS their fault. clearly posted online, on their commercials and on their in-store signs... its says they cash tax refund checks up to $5000, when we went to cash ours, for $3596, they told us it was $96 over the limit and they couldnt cash it. they said the $5000 limit was ony for jackson hewitt tax anticipation checks ( which is NOT mentioned anywhere). ok... what ever... the cashier has to follow rules... even if they are retarded, no blame on her right?... except i called 3 different wal-marts and they ALL said that they could cash my u.s. treasury issued tax refund as long as it was less than 5000 and hadnt been tampered ( they have to verify its the real deal). NONE OF THEM had ever heard of any $3500 limit of any kind. all of these wal-marts are located in the same city, their rules couldnt be that different. and guess what... WE WERE SCREWED. do you want to know why? not because we wnted to buy drugs in the middle of the night... but because my husband lost his job last year and we have 2 kids and we have been barely surviving... we lost our home and are having to live in the spare room of his cousins trailer (all 4 of us!) our credit situation is such that we have been unable to open a bank account since our previous ones were closed. we had 85, 000 a year once upon a time, now i am crying over a 3500 check, because its ALL we have. it was supposed to be direct deposited onto a pre-paid card, but there was a mistake and so we had to wait for a check, literally on our last legs...and it finally comes.. were on our last diaper... we have only enough gas to get to wal-mart and back (and yeah... it kind of HAD to be wal-mart... they charge $6! versus the next cheapest $107.90) and they wouldnt do it... now i dont have gas to get there and cash it, now that i KNOW that they really DO cash checks over $3500. so while i have worked in retail most of my adult life... and i appreciate that the cashiers ae not USUALLY to blame... they are sometimes. and that girl was a dumb bitch and is responsible for my baby sleeping tonight with his butt wrapped in a dish towel and my fridge being completely empty. so... THANKS BITCH
 31st of Mar, 2011 by   ActAndSaveUsAll 0 Votes
Damn, I don't understand how you people can see the plight of others and still have the nerve to talk shit about them. We're all broke, The System is Broken, The last thing we need is to be treating each other like shit. Fuck the system, not other poor people.

National Consumer Protection Week