logo

Google
Unauthorized debit of game
4. (19 mins ago)
C & N Imaging Products
Returned products - now they want money
5. (1 hr 33 mins ago)

Posted:    jobseeker

possible fraud

Virginia
careernetworkjobs.com
Career-network.com advertises employment opportunities on Craigslist. The company name is never mentioned. If anyone ever got a job through this company, I would like to hear about it. After responding to the ad, you are directed to one of several shell websites under the banner of career-network.com to fill out your personal information including your address and what cell phone carrier you use as well as whether you own your own business, whether you indent to pursue more education, what your credit score is etc.

After replying to this, a second e-mail directs you confirm the previous information and provide personal information about your references. No additional information about the position, such as location, company, etc. is provided. It has a very bad smell about it; it is probably just an elaborate phishing scam.

The company operates under several aliases and uses an Orlando FL snail-mailbox for correspondence. According to one investigator, the company is registered in Delaware.

"A company spokesman alleged on aboutus.com they are incorporated in Delaware. I found a recent incorporation of a Career Network Inc., File Number: 4545479, Incorporation Date / Formation Date: 05/09/2008."

The aliases include:
www.employmentflash.com
www.twinklecareers.com
www.yourcareerdrive.com

Another investigator reported:

"On the "corporate" site http://www.careernetworksite.net/ they give the address 1001 Craig Rd, Suite 240; St. Louis, MO 63146. Telephone: 314-244-3547. No TOS and not incorporated in Missourri.
On their main working site http://www.careernetworkjobs.com TOS it says they are in Orange County, Florida jurisdiction. Both sites domain registration is anonymous via Network Solutions."

These are believed to be subsidiaries of another notorious scamming company, Internet Solutions Corp.

Comments United States Employment, Staffing, Recruiting Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Oct, 2008 by   Jessica Davis 0 Votes
What happens to all our personal information, phone numbers, home addresses, everywhere we have worked, where is this information going to and how is it being used. I even contacted the FBI, because in today's world--do you really want your resume in the hands of a stranger/scam company/agency committing fraud by posting phony jobs JUST to get ALL your personal information/everywhere you have worked. I tried it several times, believing the jobs were real and I'd be sent an email asking to submit more information. By the third time, I could tell the jobs were phony--and I hate that careerbuilder and other valid job search sites allow these companies to post on them (yes I complained to careerbuilder and posted a warning to others on their web posts). So, WHO has gotten our information, WHAT are they using it for (stealing your identity???!!). Hey, OUR resumes hold ALL our information (except the one big thing and that's SS#s). But who knows if answering their emails, they eventually got your SS#, maybe they ask for dates of birth and by now--they could be filling out credit cards in our names, buying homes, selling your ID to telemarketers, and as if it's not hard enough to find a job! I HATE job.com because they seem to host this phony "career network" (someone said they might also have an office in India! ALL our info out there, to do whatever they want with it. How do we stop them?!
 6th of Nov, 2008 by   skeptic-Al 0 Votes
I just came across this today. I was "selected" for an IT Project Manager position from "thalliumcareersearch.com" and this too should be added to the alias list. Any job postings from these sites should be considered a scam and if it sounds too good to be true that it is!!!

Usually pretty optomistic about the job search and explore alot of possibilities, just this one actually raised my hunch and did a little research and come to find out the organization is a scam!!! Be very wary these days. I really don't submit alot of information anyhow until I've talked witha person and even then I'm a little hesitant.
 7th of Nov, 2008 by   Joe Vontz 0 Votes
I believe I fell into the same trap. But I got the listing trough the state unemployment commission. I learned my lesson. I'll that youllookforcareers is wanting is for you to pick a University online or face to face and what degree or advance degree you want. Then within five minutes of your submission, you get a call from the one that you pick.

If they were not a scam:

1. They would not be hawking these online Universities in a way that if you don't fill in the blanks you don't go on.
2. They would give you an out so skip over the "future education" advertisements and move you to the real thing.
3. There e-mail correspondence would have an e-mail address, phone number or both to respond back to a specific person.
4. The HR guy, sounds like the name of an actor Larry Minnetti Human Resources Gee, anyone remember Magnum P.I.
5. I did a Zaba search on that name, found 12 hits with L Minnetti, no Larry Minnetti, and most were in PA. and none in Orlando Florida the address of the business.

I wish I had thought it though when I made the applications out.

Be careful folks, now I will be getting more phone calls and junk mail again.

Joe
 13th of Nov, 2008 by   Ann Anderson +1 Votes
I have received about my 10th email now from Thallium, another front for Career Network. They are all worded about the same on the email, and if they don't say CN, the terms and agreements page always says Career Network. I actually answered a craigslist posting the first time I was caught, and it came back of course, with a rep's email who directed me to the CN webpages. I realized though, that evan an on-line agency who is legitimate would never ask for references in this manner, so I filled out fake info, but put my real email address just to see what would happen, and I did get an auto-response email. Unfortunately, except for the front people hired to scan emails on Yahoo, whom I've complained to, most of this is done with auto-generating software programs. I don't believe the person behind this is comitting identity theft, as I used to work for a lender in the fraud investigation department, and we also worked with identity theft victims that had fraud loans on their credit. Although, we sometimes found that they made new personas as a compiliation of identities, so it is possible. Harder for FBI to trace a name and address from one place, a social from another person, etc. etc. I stupidly have my complete address on my resume as well, but who knew once my lender had to declare bankruptcy that fraudsters are in the job seeker market now too.

The really bad news is that I've traced the name behind Career Network to Alexander Simon another he was tracked to Kids Talent Network out of Las Vegas, and there are reports on /link removed/ It doesn't end there, they all trace back to Ahmed El-Defrawi who was partner with Lou Pealman in a big model agency scam. Lou Pearlman is now spending 25 years in jail, and it took 5 yrs of investigating and trials to get him there. El-Defrawi has also spent 4 yrs in jail on a different fraud related case, and time for child abuse (gee, the person called Alec Simon behind Kids Talent Network). I wouldn't trust what is happening with your information since he took money from kids parents, but in all of the charges, it seems he was selling info to 3rd party broadcast spammers, or charge fees for services that he didn't perform. No Identity Theft. He may be smart enough to not do anything totally illegal. Similar to Lou Pearlman harder to press charges and get conviction for services not rendered, and it has to be proved servcies weren't up to par. If you search Wikipedia for these names you'll find the histroy plus a lot on the fraud alert sites. Yahoo Answers has someone posting Career Network, then bogus people answering saying, yes, great place, got a job through them. Oscarthegrouch avatar seems to be the one promoting the most, and I saw a fraud alert saying he is Defrawi or related. I looked up everything I could on Defrawi and he joins blog sites or boards as his own name, such as college boards, and a trucker school site board, and eventually the conversations get around to him suggesting Career Network or he knows of a place. And, later when I thought to look at the member list, Career Network was signed up as a member? gee, not a person, but a company. So he is preying on students. I haven't seen anyone talk about this part either, and I believe it is against regulations to sign up a company not a student on a member list. But, I feel this even more proves that Defrawi is behind Career Network. Too much of a coincedence.

All we can do is continue to report, to the job boards and yahoo, but also report to the FTC (Federal Trade Comission), FCC, and FBI. If enough of us report, there will be continuing investigations and eventually he'll be caught. But there are others. All I can say is never give out information until you check out a company first, and never give out confidential information unless in person. An job search agency, never asks for references until you are actually 'signing' an agreement or you are scheduled for an interview. That's not the normal process, even if it is on-line. Even the job boards are bogus.

Another one I just figured out but they seemed to be okay in the beginning is Sky Shout Agency, that has a job board and suposedly real jobs, but I have now had 2 emails saying I don't quite qualify and need Quick Books, and they send me to a site to purchase a low cost version. There was another email about another job, and they sent me to another site to pay for services, can't remember what. But the really bad thing is, this again, came from a posting I replied to on craigslist that really did seem legitimate, they may get some jobs, but I never ever signed up on the Sky Shout job board, and they must be new, very little is out there about Sky Shout.

Life Path Unlimited is another scammer, they are selling ministry webinars and books, the reps keep some and the rest of the money is turned over to whoever is behind the scheme. It seems to be some kind of pyramid thing, as I found out about them through a solicitation after posting my resume on Yahoo Hot Jobs, trying to get me to be some kind of ministry coach or something. Not much about them either, but enough.

Just keep on reporting and be aware. Even if some are never charged, if the consumers get smarter, they will not have a base to pull from and will be out of business.
 18th of Nov, 2008 by   Another One 0 Votes
thecareeraccess.com is another Career Network alias.
These are ridiculous, I agree something needs to be done!
 20th of Nov, 2008 by   vann0707 +1 Votes
This is a a real scam, these jobs on craigs list never say who the employer is, and all you get are these
bogus remail's asking for more information even though you already applied through CraigList.
These are phony jobs, and you never get any type of response for the position all want is your
personal information.
With today unemployment being so bad, there are alot of scams going on out there!
 24th of Nov, 2008 by   Siobahn +1 Votes
I got an email from Brittany Harmon Sr. Recruiter, CN HR Division. I know this is a phishing expedition because I have NEVER worked in the hospitatly industry and this email looks so generic that I didn't even click the link. I did a google search and found more than one article like this.

P.O. Box 618305
Orlando Florida, 32861

Your background in the hospitality field recently came to my attention, and I believe you might be a solid match for a position with one of our clients. Some information about the opportunity is listed below.

Front Desk Representative

Above Average Salary with growth incentives

Candidates should be self starters with a desire to grow within their field. We hope that you are still seeking fulltime employment. To see a full description of this job and to submit your application, please click on the link below. You may also copy and paste the link into your browser to access the application Web page. This page contains information about what compensation packages are included and what is required of the opening.

Once your application has been received and processed, one of our HR representatives will contact you to review your information and set an appointment for an interview. Please allow up to three business days to be contacted.

Sincerely,
Brittany Harmon
Sr. Recruiter, CN HR Division
 25th of Nov, 2008 by   Jacqui +1 Votes
I found the link below on the Federal Trade Commission website. It provides details about a job fraud case involving Career Network, Inc.

According to the FTC, Career Network is banned from providing or selling employment services. If you receive an email from this company, go to the www.ftc.gov and find a link to report the fraud and forward or paste the email you received to them.
 25th of Nov, 2008 by   Maria Pomeroy +1 Votes
I responded to an ad at Moment Employment that I found through Craigs List. It even had a 15 minute quiz for me to take with some fairly challenging grammar and math questions. When I finished the quiz, I clicked on the terms and conditions and found the name "Career Network." I am so sick of these scammers! So add Moment Employment to the list of aliases.
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   TEW +1 Votes
This is the posting (see below)they are using on craigslist.org! I already flagged it, but they just keep posting under a new job id's different days! PLEASE add THE SKY SHOUT AGENCY to this list as they are also part of this scam!!!

*** USPS - CARRIERS / CLERKS / PROCESSING ***

Reply to: job-941013709@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-12-01, 2:30PM PST

USPS Postal Careers

Every day you have some sort of interaction with the postal service, but did you know that they are hiring? The USPS is an independent agency of the United States government and employs more than 800, 000 people nationwide!

In today’s rough economic situation, this is a great time to find a new career or change jobs to one that pays better, offers you costly benefits, and provides job stability. Working for USPS is not just a job, but a career and many people will stay there until they retire.

The benefits are unrivaled by most private employers and include:
• Job Security
• Paid Training
• Paid Vacation Time and Holidays
• Full Medical Insurance (Health & Dental)
• Retirement Pension Plan
• Room for advancement
• Education allowance for college classes
• Great Work Environment
• Thrift Savings Plan with Investment Opportunities
• +++ Much more!

Get started today by emailing your resume and calling 561-615-4598 Ext 697 and speak with one of our employment specialists.

Positions: Some of the many available positions available are: customer service, sales, mail processing, mail handling, flat sorting machine operators, distribution clerks, mark-up clerks, mail carrier, rural carrier, city carrier, sales and service clerks. You will be required to take the mandatory postal battery exam for hiring placement.

Pay scale goes up to $60, 000/year + Benefits

These positions are in extremely high demand and competition is quite fierce and the positions will fill quickly. Email your resume and call today to speak with an employment specialist and to pre-qualify: 561-615-4598 Ext 697

Compensation: $14.00 - $45.00/hour + Benefits
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Phone calls about this job are ok.
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
PostingID: 941013709

Copyright © 2008 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   job seeker +1 Votes
Too good to be true ? The construction industry is dead, and here we have - will train for $18 hour, bonus, all possible benefits, even tuition reimbursement from family-owned local general contractor specializing in single-family residence homebuilding and remodeling - HA-HA-HA
On Dec.1 2008 TimesUnion.com:

Salary Starting at $18 per hour
Experience 0-1 Years Experience
Desired Education Level High School

General Construction Laborer

Local family-owned general contractor, specializing in single-family residence homebuilding and remodeling is accepting applications for a laborer.

We are seeking an individual who is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Candidates must be physically capable of lifting 20-40 pounds, be able to work approximately 40 hours per week - M-F, and able to work in varying outdoor conditions.

Duties include, but are not limited to, house construction, pick ups and deliveries, demolition, clean up, and digging. You will also have the opportunity to learn the construction trade and possibly advance up through the company.

We offer a starting base of $18/hourly plus annual bonus of $1, 200.00. We offer full benefits including paid sick days, medical, dental, vision, 401K, and paid time off. We are also a company that supports continuing education and will help you to attain your education goals through our Tuition Reimbursement program.

Please apply below for immediate consideration.
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by   Bob +1 Votes
The add in my search was for $20.00/hr warehouse help. You would be lucky to start a warehouse job in this city for $10.00!

Scam or not, it doesn't look reliable.
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by   Juanita Walker +1 Votes
Who would think that people would actually be this cruel during these hard times. I received several replys to job applications, also asking for more information, asking for email addresses of my references, which I thought was strange because they are personal but I got approval to use them, the other problem I had was entering the telephone numbers, for many of the application I was unable to complete because the numbers was actually rejected, said to be invalid, I knew that not to be true, so I couldn't submit the applications.

One of my references believed that I had called her and I received a call from Career network, Inc but when I tried to call back, no answer.
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by   Barbara +1 Votes
Darn it! I've been had!

So desperate for a job I let my defenses down. I knew something was fishy when they asked for cell phone provider, but went ahead anyway. Thanks for all the info, I am reporting them right away. At least I will know better when follow up e-mails ask for more info.

It is so lousy to be taking advantage of people with the unemployment situation what it is right now. I hope Karma gets them hard!
 4th of Dec, 2008 by   Ray -1 Votes
I've been wondering about these sites and only just had the good sense to do a google search. I'm not all that worried about my own well being, as I have nothing to steal! It is very aggravating, though, when you're looking for work and 90 percent of what your come across is stuff like this.

Who would think there would be anything to gain from scamming people who don't have jobs? Don't they know we have no money? If I did give out my SSN to anyone, they're in for a surprise because they'll be denied even the most miniscule credit, just like ME!

Maybe they'll get one of those secured credit cards and help me out a little.

Here's an idea; they could give US a job of sitting on these sites and finding these guys to get rid of their ads.
 8th of Dec, 2008 by   Mrs. Mac +1 Votes
I can't vouch for the company and say that all of their job postings are legit, however I did just get a job through them. The company names are never mentioned so that said companies won't get bombarded with applicants that aren't qualified for the job. It did take a little longer then I would have prefered (about 3 weeks), but thats my only complaint. Hope this helps!
 25th of Jan, 2009 by   Maria 0 Votes
Some more on SkyShout - I was dumb enough to fall for their tricks on Criagslist also. They also initially sent me an email about needing Quickbooks, with a link to a website providing services for a low fee. They just sent me a second email about making money with Google. Here's what the email said:

Still no word from the client regarding the position, we are working
on it though. I can't even begin to tell you how difficult the
employment situation is. We have never seen a job environment this
difficult before. Have you ever considered working for yourself? It's
really not that bad of a deal and we are seeing many qualified
candidates taking this route because they can't find employment
anywhere else. I want to share one of the best opportunities around
that is based off the Internet giant Google. It may not be for you,
but you should defiantly consider them as a viable option, it may
change your life!

The Google Alternative
Tens of thousands of people are making hundreds of dollars a day each
with google. Sell no products receive Google checks or direct deposits
monthly. Google happens to be one of the few companies that is still
growing in this economic depression. Get started before the current
wave of job seekers learn that earning money from Google pays better
than most jobs they have been applying for!

With new jobs in scarce supply, you really should consider
alternatives to sending your resume in to company after company as
competition is only projected to get worse while available jobs get
harder to find. Google is one of the easiest and most successful ways
you can work for yourself.

Shannon White
Sr. Recruiter

I don't trust these people any more than I can throw them. There's one more that just came to my attention, although it may just be my paranoia setting in. I applied to two different positions (also found on Craigslist - one as a warehouse worker, the other as a receptionist) and received two emails from Real Time Staffing firm, with a link to an outside application process, prompting me to supply them with the name of my cell phone carrier and offering links to schools for online education. The one name was Tiffany Crouch, and the second Candice Crouch. I really doubt this is legitimate but I figured I'd put it out there as a head's up for the rest of you.

Good luck everyone, and be careful.
 26th of Jan, 2009 by   Andy +1 Votes
I recently have contacted many people from craigslist and all I keep getting is the run around. This is the most recent email I have received:

A recent review of our records indicated that you have applied for the Receptionist position with Career Elect . After reviewing your application we have determined that you meet our initial employment requirements.

Please visit our website at the following address if you are still interested in being considered for this position: http://mycareerelect.com/careers2.aspx?email=(myemail)&id=careerelect2nds01262009&jb=11586064

On the front page of the application you will find a login prompt. Please login using the following:

Username: email
Password: last name

When you login you will be asked to verify some information and some additional information from you to help in the final hiring decision. Once you complete this process your application will be forwarded for final review and you will be contacted directly.

Sincerely,
Larry Minnetti Human Resources

Career Network, Inc.
P.O. Box 618305
Orlando, Florida 32861-8305

------------------------------------------------------------

this is absolutely ridiculous, and it needs to stop. I need a job :(
 26th of Jan, 2009 by   eve 0 Votes
also, i noticed, they used the last six digits of the zip code for the po box address.681035.looked it up on google maps, and you are directed to the middle of a very busy intersection.how intelligent are they?
 29th of Jan, 2009 by   Michael Hjorten Sr. 0 Votes
What if your references do not have e-mail addresses, and the applications will not go through without them?

Credit Report Ripoff?