logo

Carbonite
First date of Purchase: February 14, 2010
Second renewal date: February 14, 2011

First time I tried to Restore backed up files: September 2011
(prior to this I thought all items were backed up AND AS LONG AS I DID NOT NEED MY FILES EVERYTHING SEEMED TO BE OKAY – my account showed over 10, 000 files backed up – so I THOUGHT I was safe – WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!)

Carbonite’s false advertising claims are numerous on their website. THE FACTS: They could NOT restore ANY OF MY FILES EVEN AFTER HOURS ON WITH TECH SUPPORT!! They could not tell me WHY my account showed over 10, 000 files backed up BUT could not find any. Because I had saved a few files to my “C” drive the jumped on that and said “oh well it’s your fault because we don’t back up the “C” drive only document files.” Firstly, how would I know it would not back up FILES located on “C” drive, secondly that only represented a small portion of the files saved to my documents.

I have voluminous emails from Bo who is tier 2 tech support – what a joke!

I received excuse, after excuse, after excuse, after excuse. They even called my computer person because he had my old lap top to try to save what they could from my old laptop – and take up his time – DID THEY THINK HE WORKS FOR FREE!!? Where were/are my backed up files?

Quotes from website:
Installation:
Installing Carbonite on your computer is easy. The software takes you through the quick setup process step-by-step. You won't need to restart your computer or close anything you're working on. Just select automatic setup during installation and Carbonite will take care of the rest.
Once you install Carbonite, you’ll never have to remember to back up again. The automatic backup runs continually in the background, backing up new and changed files whenever your computer is connected to the internet.

All of the above is false advertising and/or I was told lies from tech support. I was told by Bo (he would not give me his last name) that unless I selected the files for backup it would not. The website says it backs up “new and changed files whenever your computer is connected”. I again was told by “Bo” that unless I selected new files it would not back up. How could I possible know that the files were not being backed up when my account showed thousands of files as backed up….

Quotes from the website:
If your computer crashes, is stolen, or just dies...
From your new or fixed computer, just log in to Carbonite.com and click "Restore". You’ll be taken step by step through the process of putting your files back where they belong
This claim held no resemblance to what happened. The files were not restore although SOME of my emails were restore (with many days of emails that were missing….).

I had a virus on my computer that actually wiped out much of the files on my computer. I ran virus scan and for the first time tried to “restore” the over 10, 000 files that had been backed up. I had MUCH difficulty with this and spent several hours on the phone with tech support (each time I was on with tech support my hold time BEFORE talking to someone was at least 1 hour). When on line with tech support and it was closing time I was basically dumped (they close at 5:00 after all….)
What they don’t tell you is that if you have a virus on your computer that virus is uploaded and then when you restore files it ALSO DOWNLOADS THE VIRUS!!! At least this is what I was told by “Bo” with no last name.
I requested to be reimbursed for the time the computer tech person spent on the phone with Carbonite and the time that he spent trying to spend trying to salvage files from my old laptop. They refused. I also wanted to be reimbursed for the hours and hours that I spent on hold and talking with tech support (remember they only work from 8 to 5 which is also MY work day and I am self-employed). I will spend hours and hours trying to recreate the files that I had and some will be lost forever to include family photos all because I believed the advertising found on their website.
I sent the complaint to the president of the company Mr. David Friend and his response was to have someone call me to offer still more excuses.

I have lost my files, been forced to pay a computer person when they called him, spent hours/days on the phone to no avail – they have done untold damage. This is the biggest company rip off that I have ever encountered.

The company does NOT do what it advertised. Tech support is sloppy, ineffective and only available 8 hours per day (less on weekends) and hold times exceed one hour for each call!
Comments United States Internet Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Dec, 2011 by   Jb136 0 Votes
Did you not have an antivirus program?

Several Tips How to Avoid Internet Scams