logo

global24/7 international courrier ltd
they are asking me pay 300$
5. (16 mins ago)
Dallas BBQ
poor customer service and fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Campbell Soup Complaints & Reviews - Insects in products

Campbell Soup Contacts & Informations

Campbell Soup

Posted:    Valerie

Insects in products

I purchased a can of Campbell's Chunky brand Chicken & Corn Chowder on 12/4/06. Actualy, I had purchsed 6 cans of their soup in 3 varieties.

Opened the can and microwaved it and split it with my daughter. While my daughter was eating the soup she spotted something on her spoon. She wasked me what it was and I said probably a stem of some sort and took it off her spoon. I then looked at at closely and saw it was a WORM! The insect looked like a maggot and was about 3/4 " long and fully intact. I called Campbell's 800# on the can and they took all the info from the can and my contact info and said they would send a reimbursement check ($1.85?). I returned all of the remaining Chunky soups to the store and I WILL NOT be buying their product ever again as obviously they have bad quality control. This experience was so traumatizing that I can't fathom eating a canned product of any kind ever. The customer service rep sounded like she gets these calls all the time which is truly disgusting. I purchased these products because my son plays pop warner football and always admired the commercials with all of the pro-football players and their moms. He has been asking me for Chunky soup for months and for this to happen is disheartening. I am sorry but there is no excuse for an full insect to be in a can of soup. I feel as though all kinds of insects could be in their products just not detected.

Comments United States Food
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Feb, 2008 by   holland 0 Votes
Just threw out a can of chunky clam chowder from cambell's soup. It looked like it had black stick sort of spices... but since that is totally out of place in a clam chowder I investigated... and they had little LEGS! ewwwww... So glad I didn't eat it yet. Sale items down the drain. No money saved and peace of mind out the window. I usually make my own soups, wash my own veggies... and leave the bugs OUT!
 25th of Jun, 2008 by   spiralsands 0 Votes
Oh god, I'm going home and throwing out any Campbell's soup that's sitting in my pantry. I wanna gag!!!
 9th of Jul, 2008 by   Kenzie Connolly 0 Votes
Tonight I opened a can of Campbell's chicken vegetable condensed soup, poured it into the pot to heat it up and low and behold there was a 3/4 inch light brown BUG with lots of little legs.
I honestly was so revolted and wanted to heave.
I have written Campbell's an email complaining about it, and hope to receive a reply promptly, but who knows what will happen with these large companies.
As a customer service representative I can guarantee that I will be receiving more than a cheque for the cost of the product. This type of quality control is completely unacceptable.
 22nd of Nov, 2008 by   Brenda O'Keefe 0 Votes
Yes, we just pulled a full one inch caterpillar or mealy bug out of my daughter's bowl of Campbell's Hearty Vegetable Soup with Pasta. It's over an inch long and complete with legs, head, eyes. I've got pictures of it and contacted the 800 number, but they are only interested in sending some COUPONS out if I mail them the bug. Don't think so. I'd like to see them pull that load of cans off the shelf. Obviously inadequate quality control. Did any of you get better response? The lot is stamped Feb 20 2010. Yuck!
 26th of Jan, 2009 by   Tim H 0 Votes
Yep, I was just having a bowl of Campbell's New England Clam Chowder "To Go" Meal, and I chewed on something strange and I spat it out, and I was chewing on a 1.5 inch dark brown insect leg. I'm pretty sure it was a cockroach leg, and upon further research on the internet I have confirmed it was definitely a cockroach leg:

This is what it looked like, without the hairs: http://neuromajor.ucr.edu/courses/Cockroach%20leg.jpg

I think I am going to puke.
 5th of Feb, 2009 by   denknidget 0 Votes
OMG!!! My oldest son was suffering with the flu and last night was feeling hungry and craving clam chowder so my husband, baby, and I drove to the store and purchased 3 cans of Campbell's "Select Harvest" clam chowder. I heated it up and my sick son, my husband, and I had our bowls of soup. I added garlic, butter, and pepper and it tasted almost home made. My son liked it and wanted me to reserve a bowl for him the next day (today). I had been running errands late this afternoon and started to feel hypoglycemic from hunger. While I sat to nurse my baby, I asked my older son, who had been ill, for something quick to eat while nursing. He offered his soup. Clams are chewy but I felt compelled to spit out something that felt different than the texture of clam. As I observed it, I noticed a 3/4 inch segmented white worm!!! Tape worm???? Did I swallow a segment? Did my son and husband also? I am so sick! I thought this must be an isolated case but googled "tape worm in campbell's clam chowder" and found that on 12/04/05, there was another incident and this woman and her daughter found a worm that sounds a lot like mine. I feel so, as the mother put it, traumatized! I called the 800# and the woman who took the information assured me that she would relay to customer service and I'd get a refund. I was crying and sick and told her that I don't care about the money. I want to know what that "thing" was that was in my mouth that my husband and son also may have eaten, that this problem will be taken care of, and I told her that I can NEVER EVER eat another can of Campbell's soup of any kind.
 5th of Feb, 2009 by   denknidget 0 Votes
I just wrote a complaint on finding a segmented worm in Campbell's "Select Harvest" clam chowder. I did some more online research and am feeling a little better. The worm that was found might very well have been a marine parasite called a planarian. As far as I know, it is not harmful (I hope that this is a fact) BUT it still should not be found in food. Worms, bugs, dirt (which I also found in the clams), feces, and whatever else that is not meant for human consumption should not be found in our food--especially in the USA! The safest form of protection from others harming us from negligence experienced through mass-produced food items is to go back to basics and make our own from scratch but who has time for this in a technologically- advanced world where we should have more time in the name of technology?
 7th of Feb, 2009 by   Moby1Kanobi 0 Votes
I just encountered a different kind of experience with my Campbell's Chunky Steak and Potato soup. About half way through the meal, I bit onto something completely solid. As a result, it cracked one of my rear molars and now I have to get dental work done. After reading all the latter comments, I'm concerned about their response to negative experiences with their products. There has to be a way to get in touch with the appropriate party(s) that can resolve this issue. Do I want more than a refund for my soup? Not really. Do I want to be reimbursed for the cost of going to the dentist's office and for lost time and whatever pain and suffering I have to endure? You're DAMN RIGHT. And I WILL. I'm never buying their product again. For a company that has been around for so many years and is basically athe largest canned food manufacturer in the world; it's ridiculous that their quality control department is run so poorly, and not only that, but the people processing the food as well. Tsk Tsk!! I STILL HAVE THE ROCK!! :) If Campbell's reads these comments, I recommend that you respond to me, PROMPTLY, @ pauldillard1223@gmail.com.
 24th of Feb, 2009 by   graycyn 0 Votes
I too found a worm in my Campbells Chunky Sirloin Burger with Country Vegetables. I'm so disgusted. I had taken a few bites when I noticed this "thing" looks like a mealworm. I pray that it was the only one and I didn't eat one or its eggs. Yuck! I called Campbells and they are "forwarding" my complaint on to the quality dept. and sending me some coupons. Not sure if I could ever by their soups again though. Worse part, the soup wasn't even good. My husband bought the wrong kind. Go figure.
 10th of Jun, 2009 by   IvanMaldonado 0 Votes
Well, my wife just found a huge (3 inch) chunk of sharp metal in her chunky soup. I was wondering if it's even worth writing to the company at all instead of some class action suit of sorts!
 10th of Jun, 2009 by   IvanMaldonado 0 Votes
I attached a photo of the sharp metal found in my wife's chunky soup, but didn't show in my posting.
Let me try again...

10th of Jun, 2009 by   IvanMaldonado 0 Votes
CSI-Jason. Shiny or not, the piece was there. It's not tin foil, it's the same make as the metal of the can's inside lining. Had I been trying to make this up, I'd go for a human finger in the chili instead. Enough for seeking this forum's suggestions (other than tips on how to stage a scam).
 17th of Jul, 2009 by   Carolyn McDaniel 0 Votes
My mom bought a can of the "Old Fashioned Vegetable Beef" soup and she found what looked like a cockroach. It was a medium sized black bug with legs. I called the company for her to see find out what the would do about it. They offered to send me coupons for soup I will never ever by again. I actually will probably never buy and canned soup ever again.
 28th of Oct, 2009 by   lmfrank 0 Votes
My sister just got her wisdom teeth pulled & can't eat any hard food. She was eating a can of Campbells Chicken noodle soup when she felt something lodged in the hole where her molar had been pulled. She thought it was a piece of chicken, but pulled it out to find a MAGGOT. She almost threw up. Called campbell and all they offered were coupons. Won't be using ANY of their food anymore.
 10th of Nov, 2009 by   jgood738 0 Votes
I just found a live inchworm in my Campbells Select Harvest Clam Chowder. It was floating on top and I scooped it out to discover it was indeed a worm and alive. I called the company and they offered me coupons..yeah right. I'm off canned soup now.

2nd of Jan, 2010 by   jalingra 0 Votes
When I opened a can of Campbell's Soup I encountered a bug. Considering I rarely eat Campbell's soup I thought what are the chances? Apparently it is not that uncommon. Perhaps Campbell's could put a warning on the label "may contain traces of insect". That way others can be forewarned to keep an eye out for creepy critters before they eat.
 2nd of Jan, 2010 by   jalingra 0 Votes
Here is the pic that corresponds with the above comment
 27th of Apr, 2010 by   Redgoldenlocks 0 Votes
I just "enjoyed" a can of vegetarian vegetable from Campbell's.
It was not completely vegetarian.
It had a dead bug in it.
I am totally disgusted and would like to do something
this is truly horrible that Campbell's does not take responsibility for their products
I am off of Campbell's forever.
 13th of Sep, 2010 by   get over it please 0 Votes
it's just protein, the only thing ill be wacthing out fo is metal
 24th of Nov, 2010 by   Michael in TN 0 Votes
It makes me angry when other people make light of the insect problem.I found what looked to be either a stink bug or a katydid head in my Italian style wedding soup and it rolled around in my mouth before I found it.I threw up violently for a half an hour until I was dry heaving. I coughed so much my throat was bleeding.I have never been more disgusted until I found out that this was (for some stupid reason) a common thing. If it's this common, put it on the damn label that you might bite into a bug head or a worm. Whats worsre is the people browsing a site about complaints like this just to say"get over it"...NO!!! I won't ! I'm not looking for money but coupons is an unacceptable response.Why would I want coupons for some nasty wormy bugged out soup?!?!! I don't eat bugs or worms and I don't give two squirts of pee if they're PROTIEN...that's just stupid. Campbell's should have to fix this problem, label the cans, or compensate the victims. You can bet that if they were really held accountable for this, they would have fixed it by now!

Pictures Are Also Used For Romance Scam!

Latest Groups