logo

NetSpeand
Wont give me my money
4. (21 mins ago)
Netspend Prepaid Visa Card
Ripped off my money placed a hold on my account
5. (21 mins ago)
Lashea
lack of service & stolen money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

498 RexCorp Plaza, West Tower
Uniondale, New York
Phone: 5165351515
cambridgewhoswho.com
I was conned into a supposed free listing in their directory which I called back immediately after finding out they are not a legitimate who's who organization to cancel this transaction but am still waiting on a decision from my American Express investigation of their charges. I have not accepted any services or bogus plane tickets they offer from these crooks and do not feel I should pay for services they have falsely represented. They could not provide any names of organizations or people who supposedly nominated or referred me for this listing or qualifications of their staff who supposedly approved my listing and created my biography for this service. They have over 150 complaints filed against them including my own to the better business bureau of NY. I feel because I called back within an hour after realizing I was scammed and nonrefundable was never mentioned at any time during the phone conversation I had with them until I questioned their credentials did I receive this via email.
Comments United States Telemarketing
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Feb, 2009 by   Sharon +3 Votes
I, fortunately, hate high-pressured sales. At first I was honored, but still skeptical. When they mentioned the Platinum membership for over $800 or the Gold membership for around $600 and then said, I would have to order now without having time to think about it. I told them that I wasn't interested. I'm just glad that I did!
 14th of Mar, 2009 by   sss 0 Votes
did Amex come though? unfortunately, i got taken as well, and have filed a complaint for a refund with Amex.
 26th of Mar, 2009 by   Helen -1 Votes
I am a member of Cambridge Whos Who and I absolutely love it. It has helped me in so many ways. Give it a chance. I have networked with doctors and social workers with some issues that a friend had as well as using real estate brokers and financial investors. I think the Cambridge Whos Who was a honor to be included and it has really been an asset to my career.
 27th of Apr, 2009 by   Helen Who +1 Votes
Agree with the first 2. Avoid Cambridge Whos Who like you avoid the flu!

Scam all the way. You want to network, go to www.linkedin.com. That is all the networking you need without paying a penny!

Helen, how long you worked at Who's Who? The next time you post in favor of a company, your name should probably not be on the company telephone directory!

Good luck, walk away!
 11th of Jun, 2009 by   Mike +3 Votes
I actually fell for this thing yesterday and provided credit card information. Problem was, she forgot to ask for the expiration date. I went into a meeting right after and she left me 6 voice mail messages in 1 hour, stating that she needed the expiration date of my card. Since something did not feel right, I did some checking online last night. Upon hearing the many complaints, I called back this morning and let them know I was not interested. The high pressure was incredible.

Any reputable company should be willing to provide even a 1 or 2 day risk free membership. The least expensive offer she came up with was $99 for 1 year. I will tell anyone who asks not to join.

I agree with whomever mentioned LinkedIn. Perfect networking site and at no cost.
 11th of Jul, 2009 by   Anonymously Anonymous +3 Votes
Yep... I agree this is a suck you in so they can just take your money .

I was contacted with a congratulations letter. As I'm already included in 3 different Marquis' Who's Who directories ... I assumed this one was legit starting off. But the second the lady started quoting me the price for platinum, gold membership. I became extremely skeptical... I pointed out that having the networking value and the additional ability to Google my name was of no value to me, as I'm already 'google-able', and for the business I'm in, the networking value they could provide is likely NILL. I already work with the world's experts in my business.

I provided a lame execuse... then was offered a $99 trial membership. Which I also punted on. The interviewer/sale's lady got very abrupt, and stated that my profile would be linked in from their website and then she hung up.

The acceptance package I'm supposed to get will go into the trash ... and I can guarentee you that they won't be inlcuded on my resume!
 26th of Jul, 2009 by   Embarrased 0 Votes
I was taken in by their flattery, sales technique and false claims. Similar to so many other complaints I also realized the stupidity of my ways very quickly and demanded a refund the very next day.
I was contacted by their complaint resolution manager and we started on a 3 week circus involving email exchanges, voice mail messages and then listening in to a recording of my call where the words "all sales are final" (which was quickly spoken and even on a 2nd listen barely audible), was interpreted by CWW as NO REFUNDS.
After a lot of hassling they agreed to a refund minus $100 for "costs already incurred". They then sent me a letter to sign that included this text..."As discussed, this is a letter acknowledging the resolution reached today. Please sign it at the bottom and return it immediately. Upon receipt of your signed letter, absent of editorial adjustments and/or comments, your credit in the amount of $500.00 will be processed and posted to your account within 10-12 business days. This will close your membership. This offer is valid only if returned to our establishment no later than ..."

I refused as it was not a full refund. After a few more less polite emails, voice mail, and phone calls they agreed to a full refund.

Anyway, my advice is to have NOTHING to do with them. It has NO value and anyone that signs up and is happy with it is NOT worth networking with. That goes for HELEN in above posting.

IF you do get caught as I did, be unrelenting in your requests for a refund. Email via their website EVERY night, leave voice mails EVERY day and do NOT accept NO for an answer. They have NO right to keep your money. Their call recording is for Quality Assurance purposes and NOT a legally binding contract, they are not even allowed to present it as such...
 2nd of Aug, 2009 by   ScammednAngry 0 Votes
Thank Goodness I didn't pay for anything. I will say that the emotional effect was devastating to me. After suffering three layoffs in three years, I was ecstatic that someone had recognized my hard work and nominated me. Like so many others, I completed the online profile and even stepped out of a training meeting for my new job in order to complete the lengthy phone interview. However, I put the brakes on when they started asking for money. They never could answer my questions about why I should have to pay for a membership. After all... they wanted ME, right?

Long story short, the interviewer kept dropping the price, and I kept refusing to pay. My exact words were "I am in no financial shape to pay for a membership..." repeatedly. She finally ended with the $99 / year membership which I also refused. However, they still promised that I would be mentioned in the directory, I would receive my welcome packet and bio proof within a few days, blah, blah, blah.

I have heard absolutely nothing since. In fact, I just realized this was a scam when I researched the company in an effort to find out the status of my "welcome packet". I told my family and friends about this, and I even had head shots taken in anticipation of this "great honor". Now I have to eat crow and tell them all it was a scam. Go figure, huh? Oh well...lesson learned.
 11th of Aug, 2009 by   no scam here +2 Votes
I have done a lot of online research after receiving my "invitation" in the mail. I entered in a buch of false information just to waste their time a little.
 30th of Aug, 2009 by   Not going to get me +1 Votes
I just received my letter in the mail. I am on other legitimate Who's Who lists already and what tipped me off to do some research about this letter is the statement at the bottom of the page. "Cambridge Who's Who is proudly not associated or affiliated with any other Who's Who Publication or Organization." Ok, right there its a red flag. I'm sorry that some of you have had to go through the depths of hell and back as a result of this company but I am grateful to you for posting your experiences because it keeps me from making a huge error. They should not be asking for money for memberships, especially since I do not have to pay anything to be on the other Who's Who lists...hmmmm clever scam but ridiculous that people don't want to work for their money in an honest way. Good luck to you all and thank you again for your posts.
 15th of Sep, 2009 by   POKE YOKE -3 Votes
WHO'S WHO IS NOT A SCAM IT IS A MORE PROFESSIONAL CAREER NETWORKING SYSTEM THAT ALLOWS THOSE WHO DO NOT GET RECOGNIZED, ACTUALLY GET RECOGNIZED!!! I WAS HIRED BECAUSE THEM!! YOU GUYS ARE ALL IDIOTS FOR THINKING OR EVEN BELIEVING IT IS A SO CALLED...'SCAM'... IT WAS EITHER CAUSE YOU MESSED UP ON SOMETHING OR DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU EVEN WERE DOING AND WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE USED FOR...SAD, SAD WORLD WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY IDIOTS...
 18th of Sep, 2009 by   Anonymously Anonymous +1 Votes
Poke Yoke - So right you are.. Marquis' Who's Who is not a scam... but Cambridge uses high pressure sales tactics to get their membership ... which is an immediate turn off for many people. I challenge you to prove your statement "I WAS HIRED BECAUSE THEM!!" ... Besides the poor english, I have serious doubts that anything they are selling could have been worth the cost.
 18th of Sep, 2009 by   ProSales +1 Votes
Yo "Poke Yoke" if you are any example of this group then I find it highly inlikely that ANYONE would be at all interested. At the very least you could learn the English language before going into some idiotic, unintelligible rant...you twit!
 26th of Sep, 2009 by   justnobody 0 Votes
Ha! Just got my invitation today. I found it incredibly funny as I am a part time substitute teacher's aide and don't even have an associate's degree. Wonder what list they got my name from?? lol
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   benz2010 +1 Votes
This whos who organisation does fall into the classification of being a scam. Regardless of the fact that they deliver the product to you, they sell you on it by positioning themselves as an esteemed and to some extent, exclusive institution. That right there is the scam; that you are paying to join an established list of accomplished persons. Not a group of self promoting hounds.

Here in the US business culture its a major faux pas. So should anyone be heading to the states, remember to leave your Cambridge Who’s Who certificate at home. :-)
 15th of Oct, 2009 by   Cameron123 +1 Votes
I was conned by this scam and they charged my almost 300.00. Luckily my credit card number had changed two weeks later. Then this lady named Heather kept calling from an "unknown number" saying she was calling to say that the book was ready to be shipped and they would be charging my card another 350 but that the card was not going through. I told them I don't have the card with me and she said ok that she will try to process it again. Then came the month long charade of calling 6-10 times a day from an unknown number without leaving messages. I always pushed the ignore button and then they started calling me at work that took the last straw. I called Heather and left a nasty message that if she calls one more time my lawyer will be calling her next. It felt good chewing these scam artists out. She never called back again :)
 11th of Nov, 2009 by   worldhookah.com +1 Votes
I was woke up by my business partner. She got this letter in the mail. She was smart enough to ask me "What is this"? I looked and was like of Hell maybe a customer sees her working hard. OK she deserves it. I went to the site to check and see what it was about. The main site http://www.hollymoore.cambridgewhoswho.com to check the Alexa ranking. Their Alexa ranking is #295, 536 OK this is an average ranking among the 81 Million sites Alexa tracks. When I say average I do not even look at a site twice that`s over 500K. From here I went to the log in page for the sign up. It has a "No Rank" This means a site is so new Alexa is not even tracking it yet.

So in short if it was honestly usable as a networking site and people actually used it It would have been picked up by Alexa already, as well as it would have a good ranking. We are in the middle of buying hookahdomain.com Alexa ranking #113, 487 and this entire site is based on Hookahs. Come on now really Hookahs a small leisure pipe for smoking tobacco has a stronger Alexa ranking then this whos who?

I was respectful to Holly (or just wanted to get her some calls) and placed her info in the site. On the other hand when they call I will also be the 1 taking their call. This should be entertaining to say the least. I did telemarketing years ago and it was fun and I made a good living at it. May God be with the poor person I get a hold of.

Oh and my view on the site? Yea Screams scam just like to Poetry sites that Publish you for free but be ready to pay very top dollar to see the publication since they sell you your own work back.

Anyone reading this avoid the Cambridge guys. I will not say they are a scam (because they will try and drag me though court next) but then again I wont say my BMW is Black (ssshhh But it is).

Be safe all and great advice. when you see something that involves your hard earned money Google the name with the word Scam spaced after it. Usually you will find something then just read up. That's how I found this place.

Sincerley, Neal & Holly
 1st of Dec, 2009 by   JoblessTech -1 Votes
Hey I got my invitation today and its funny cause I have no job. However I looked up the company anyway and found all your complains and decided to check into there websites and so on and found this link to their domains and their original ip.

Then I used a ip finder and found their located at
Longitude:
-73.9846
Latitude:
40.7488

Those coordinates are this Address (Check yourself if you like.)

358 5th Ave
New York, NY 10001

From this point on I can't be of assistance but if this helps anyone catch these people I'm glad I helped because I was once scammed and it hurt.
 4th of Dec, 2009 by   brainfreeze 0 Votes
I have to agree with the majority here. I just got a letter from this Cambridge Who's Who company today! Of course that little disclaimer at the bottom of the letter (i.e. "we are proudly NOT affiliated with any other Who's Who publications or organizations") helped me a lot. Not to mention the fact that I don't have a job right now, so how could I do anything "exceptional" in the past year?

I decided to google it, and the FIRST thing to come up was about it being, in all (ok, most)intents and purposes, a scam. I was surprised to know that this has been going on for over 2 YEARS! Even if they don't consider themselves one, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but ISN'T a duck? It's fake, plain and simple.

But my real worry is how did they get my home address? I know junk mail is sent to anywhere, but it was so personalized and professional looking. My real relief lies in that I didn't fill out any online application, and this company hasn't been calling me (but I don't know if they would be able to in the future).
 12th of Jan, 2010 by   UPLIFT 0 Votes
Factually and actually, it is not a scam. There is no misrepresentation made to a potential member. If deemed eligible, then the individual has the choice to buy in or let it go. A scam is a manipulative ploy that indirectly prompts an individual to make a payment for a dubious situation if so perceived. There are many distinguished members. I presume that those with issues will find the $100k requirement of The Ladders a scam as well. If you cannot afford to pay for something, it is not proper to make reference to a scam. The decent thing to say is "I cannot afford it." ~ evidence based approach or ~ "I do not think it is worth it." ~ non-evidence based. It is that simple.

3 Ways to Get Free Checking