logo

1. (0 mins ago)
DHR Discount Travel
Double Booking
2. (0 mins ago)
winnipeg Health systems (filter queen)
high pressure sales man -rude staff
3. (21 mins ago)
Protective Asset Protection Division
Terrible service
4. (25 mins ago)
United Auto Credit Corporation
Lies and failed to return promised phone calls!
5. (41 mins ago)
BMW
winning of lottery 500,000 Pounds, asking personal details and bank account nos.

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Biotech Research Co./Edenpure Heater, Ohio Complaints & Reviews - Misrepresentation of Heater Claims

Biotech Research Co./Edenpure Heater Contacts & Informations

Biotech Research Co./Edenpure Heater

Posted:    Lark & Bertha Scott

Misrepresentation of Heater Claims

Biotech Research
Ohio
On Social Security, we bought six Edenpure heaters and now our electric bill budget (usually $600 by this time of year) is over $2, 000. Heater does NOT work as advertised. Called the company and was told the time to return for credit return is over. The customer service rep was extremely curt and rude. Flat out, we DON'T WANT THESE PIECES OF WORTHLESS JUNK! Like thousands of other people, we were scammed by this company and would like to know HOW to return these heaters! H-E-L-P! from Lookout, WV.

Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Mar, 2009 by   Lark & Bertha Scott 0 Votes
Agree completely with y'all. Kinda the same thing happened to us (we got 3 heaters and are stuck with 'em). Our elec. co. (AEP) just loves us because of the way our elec. bill has shot up in the past 4 months.
 24th of Mar, 2009 by   Andree Holley 0 Votes
Heater isn't worth the costs. I've asked 4 times for return label to get free UPS return, and have not received one yet? What can I do to get my money back? I had it on a credit card A. Holley
 14th of May, 2009 by   Kim +1 Votes
I have 2 heaters. My Electric bill was over $300 a month and I was still buying oil. I bought these to save on heat and expenses...and all it did was create a greater amount of expenses that I can't pay. I'm stuck...I feel that I was lied to. When we bought the 1st one - I verified with the girl over the phone that the price would be only $1 a day to run this - she said it would be the same price as running you hairdryer. Well...I don't know any hairdryer that would cost this much a month. Very disappointed. I want reimbursement for my electric bill!!
 18th of Oct, 2009 by   Kenny Ray +1 Votes
I know some folks that might buy them from you if you want to get rid of them. Please email me at bowpor@me.com with subject line "Unhappy Edenpure" and I will try to get you hooked up with them. Maybe you can get a little bit of your money back...

HPLJ,

Kenny Ray
 22nd of Dec, 2009 by   myfraudulentcompany.com +1 Votes
Shame on Bob Vila, he starts out talking about the heat you loose through your unsealed duct work and than instead of giving you an answer like use Mastic Sealnt to seal most of those ducts he gives you EdenPure! How does using more electricity save you money? It doesn't! Does it save you money to seal all those leaky ducts with Mastic? Yes!This is what he should be endorsing http://www.rcdmastics.com/

1st of Jan, 2010 by   Judy from Illinois +1 Votes
I bought an Edenpure Heater and in one month my electric bill went from the usual $86.00 a month to $128.00 the next month; then this month of December it went up to $144.00. It is cheaper to run our gas furnace than to use this heater. I unplugged it and will put it in a yard sell. I warn anyone planning on getting this heater, stop, it has a 110 plug and uses the heck out of electricity. Bob Villa, shame on you. I use to go by what you were saying, but now I will never trust you again. How can you advertise for such a crooked company. Judy in Illinois
 15th of Jan, 2010 by   Keidis 0 Votes
I bought two heaters from Biotech Research/Suarez, one Edenpure 1000XLl, the other a Sun Twin in November of 2008, both of which were used very little, only one winter season. They would shut off after only running a few minutes, and wouldn't run again unless I unplugged them first. Then they would do the same thing. Keep in mind, the room was only 60 deg. when they would do this. When I called Biotech Research, I was told that the refund warranty was up, and that they could send two refurbished models in place of these. The one-year warranty is stupid, considering the average person only needs to use it a few times during the winter months. You aren't actually using it a whole year. Anyway, this same Customer Service Rep. told me that I could get a refund if the refurbished models quit working properly within six months. I just received the replacements last week. I plugged the one in, it blew warm heat for about 5-10 minutes, then blows freezing cold air, and continues to do so. Again, this is in a 60 deg. room. We have not tried the other heater yet. Once again, I called Biotech Research. I was told at this time that whoever told me about the refund on the refurbished models was mis-informed. When asked if they could check their pre-recorded phone conversations for this conversation I had with that Rep., I was told it would take too much time. I was told that they go by the purchase date. This is totally ridiculous, being I just got the refurbished model last week. Of course, this isn't the original model purchased! This company lies to people. And, for the amount of money paid ($350 each), they are nothing but a piece of junk! I am really regretting my purchase(s), especially now that I am aware of the hundreds of complaints from others who have purchased these heaters. I also know of two other people within 10 miles of my home who also purchased these heaters, and have had to send them back multiple times as well. My guess would be that this company knows they have faulty heaters, they don't do anything about the returned ones, and keep sending them out. Because they know that your exchange warranty will be up before you actually get a working heater. I reported this company to the Better Business Bureau of Canton, Ohio, as did several others. I would suggest you do the same. I would not recommend purchasing anything from this company. In closing, I would also like to add that once you purchase from this company, you will keep getting literature in the mail advertising other products they carry.
 6th of Mar, 2010 by   Very angry in Arkansas +1 Votes
Do not buy anything from Eden Pure. They only build low quality junk at a high price. Thanks a lot Bob Villa try out the product for yourself next time.
 29th of Mar, 2010 by   don chatterson +1 Votes
I agree with all the complaints as I myself have been stuck with an eden pure heater that trippled my hydro bill.I have shut thing off and will never use again..They must know hydro meters are read every 60 days so you return time is up before you get your hydro bill...They make a lot of money on the backs of hard working people.
 23rd of Sep, 2010 by   Amidon +1 Votes
Thanks for the info...I was just deciding whether or not to try one and I decided not to...doesn't sound like too great of a deal to me.
 2nd of Jan, 2011 by   Cold in Indiana +1 Votes
We purchased an edenpure heater through biotech in 2007. It worked fine for a while, so we got two more smaller heaters from them as well. We THOUGHT this was a great deal, untill our first heater, which we had named frankie, stopped working in 2009. Frankie would blow warm air for about 6 minutes, then shut down. It would only work again after it was turned off and let sit for 8 minutes before we turned it on again and it would work. This routine became tiring so we tried unsuccsesfully to take it apart. We then tried to research the heater to find an email adress for biotech which we could complain to, but found none. They probably got so many complaints they removed the email! Anyway, these heaters upped our electricity bill by about $100 a month and do not, in fact, heat a room evenly. As for the two smaller heaters, they still work. But we are pretty sure they will soon follow in frankie's footsteps! This company sells broken and expensive heaters with a useless 1 year warranty. They try to suck you in by advertising all the "pro's" of the heater which, in reality, are pure lies. These heaters are worthless pecies of junk that DO NOT work. Dont purchase things from here, as you will surely be scammed. We now use Frankie as a coffee table.
 7th of Jan, 2011 by   eagledriver 0 Votes
I cannot say how the heater works as I have been waiting 6 weeks since I ordered my heater and biotech still cannot tell me me when my heater might ship!!! You can tell everyone who works for his company is at the end of the rope. They must have morning and evening meetings on what to tell the thousands of customers who order these heaters on what the latest lie they can tell them. I feel sorry for these reps who have to work for a company of liars. Why do they advertise a product that they dont even have??????? I will go to Walmart now and just buy a regular space heater so I will have something that space heats before winter ends!! This company is a joke from top to bottom!!!
 26th of Jan, 2011 by   Hot but not heated in MS 0 Votes
I agree with eagledriver, we too ordered a heater over six weeks ago and have no idea when it will be shipped. I have called the contact number on the Biotech Research website and spent almost 15 mins. on hold only to be told - by a computer - that my call could not be processed and would I please call back at another time. This company IS a joke, but worse, the jokes on us, folks. They have our money and we either have worthless heaters or no heaters. I wonder what good this complaint site will do except give disgruntled customers a place to blow off some heat! Sure wish we'd seen this before we ordered the heater and paid the money!
 31st of Jan, 2011 by   SixtyDays +1 Votes
Here's the play by play (typing as I wait on hold): After watching the ads on TV, I decided to order one of these heaters. Our heating bill almost doubled (we're in California). I have now been ON HOLD for almost 15 minutes... and I refuse to hang up. I will stay on hold all day if necessary. Unfortunately, I just read the above note that someone spent 15 minutes on hold, only to be told by a computer that the call could not be processed and to call back at another time. "Thank you for calling. Please be assured that your call will be answered as quickly as possible..." "Please continue to hold for just a moment longer... we will be on the line shortly to answer your call..." "Thank you for calling customer service. We are currently experiencing heavy call volume. Your call is important to us, and we realize your time is valuable. You may enter your phone number, leave a message, and the next available agent will call you back on the number provided. Press 1 to enter your number now, or continue to hold for the next available representative." Okay, we are coming up to the 15 minute mark. Let's see if they try to pull the same trick with me as they did with the person above... wow... there is actually a nice lady on the phone. Her first name is Margaret, and she is really helpful. Please note that we ARE within the agreed-upon 60 day return period.
 31st of Jan, 2011 by   SixtyDays +1 Votes
Follow up to the above comment: People, if the cost of electricity wasn't a factor, and if our home was equipped to handle the electricity load (we started getting burn marks around our electrical outlet), I would purchase that heater again. I loved it: it was the only heater that didn't dry out our sinuses, and it delivered a nice, even heat. I hate to be so positive when obviously others have not had the same experience, but the fact is that the company did fulfill their promise to give us a "no questions asked" refund. I was a stickler regarding the 60 day limit, even though I never thought that we would have to use it. Having said all of that, I am genuinely sorry that some people havehave had bad experiences: I hope that they will persist in trying to find someone in the company who will reconsider their extenuating circumstances. I would call again and ask for a supervisor, the number I used was 1-800-219-8458. Don't even try to talk to the person who answers your call. Just tell them that you have a complicated concern and that you really need to speak with a supervisor. Tell them about this message board (I did), and that you hope you will not be just another person who ends up without having his or her problem resolved. Sincerely from Terri
 1st of Feb, 2011 by   Dave Kindsvater 0 Votes
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BUY THIS HEATER, ESPECIALLY FROM BIOTECH. I purchesed this heater in October of 2010. I recieved it in about 10 days, when I opened it, the entire back plastic was all broken. I called the customer service and same as everyone else, was put on hold for 45 minutes. They sent me a return slip and I sent it back. I received the new heater 3 weeks later. That heater worked pretty good for about 2 weeks, then it didnt seem to be throwing as much heat so I called the customer service number again, again 45 minutes on hold. When I finally spoke to Tyron, he apoligized and asked if I wanted a new heater or my money back. I asked him if the 60 day warranty would start over when I got the new heater. He said "yes" so I told him that it was probably a fluke and to send a new heater and if I had problems with that one, I would send it back and get my money back, , he said "ok". I got an email on December 29, 2011 stating that they received the heater and to allow 2-4 weeks for processing. I waited 3 weeks and decided to call them, again 45 minutes wait. When I finally spoke to Michael, he apoligized and said that it would be another 3-4 weeks before it shipped, I explained the entire story to him and what the email said and told him I wanted my money back, he GUARANTEED me that it would ship out the next day and I would recieve it by Saturday. Again no heater, so I gave them another week and called back. After 45 minutes they said it still has not shipped and again GUARANTEED me that it would ship the next day 1-23-11 and told me I would have the heater by Saturday, oh by the way they said I couldnt get my money back because its been over the 60 days from the original purchase. Now I am on the phone with them again on hold now for 35 minutes to tell them I still have not recieved the heater. This time I am going to record the entire consversation and post the results on youtube to let all buyers beware. I have never and I mean never dealt with such a poor company. Again, I would not buy this heater and especially from Biotech. When I called a different supplier, they told me that they have recieved ALOT of complaints from Biotech, with the same issues, she was nice enough to give me the manufacturer's number and as soon as I get off the phone with these yahoo's I will be calling Eden pure direct to let them know.
 25th of Feb, 2011 by   sharon porter 0 Votes
i bought 3 heaters and i am very disapointed one of the heaters was replaced with one of the refurbushed one and they do not work also as i was getting ready to leave my house the other day i forgot a letter that i had to take to the dr i went back to get it and if i didn, t have to go back to get the letter i would have came back to no house as i saw where i had the heater plugged there was smoke comming up and was just about to catch on fire it was so hot it melted the prong in half and i can, t get ahold of anyone about it if anyone knows who i should contact please advise sharon porter i will be watching or email me @sharon445576@yahoo.com thanks
 30th of Mar, 2011 by   Run Around 0 Votes
What A Joke! I have had (3) "Refurbished" units sent to me under warranty replacement and each one was prograssively worse than the other. The last one was scratched with a hole in the side protruding from the inside out & completely filthy. The shipping box had no physical damage either. Talk about poor quality control. Biotech Research / Suarez have completely dropped the ball & I will never purchase another product from this company. I think someone from their upper management including Bob Vila should exercise their call in system & customer service. I have dealt with many inexperienced childern answering the phone that have absolutely no horsepower to do anything! Talk about a waste of time, I have literally sat on the phone for hours talking to these individuals and got a bunch of lip service. I have asked numerous times to speak to someone from upper management, but again I was pawned off on an in experienced individual. Good Luck to all on your decisions.
 30th of Mar, 2011 by   Dave Kindsvater 0 Votes
Well here is the update on my experience with BioTech. After fighting with them on the phone numereous times, I finally saw results when I actually recorded one of my conversations with them. I told them up front that I was recording the conversation and then told them my story, as you can search through the previous complaints to view the entire situation I had with them. I then demanded my money back and they told me it was past the warranty time. I then asked to talk to a Supervisor, she put me on hold and came back to tell me that the Supervisor said no, that I could'nt have my money back. I then asked again to speak to the Supervisor personally and when she refused, I reminded her that the conversation was being recorded and that I was going to send a copy of it to my local news station "problem solvers", send a copy to the better buisness beaura, and also going to post it on youtube. She put me on hold again, then came back to tell me that she spoke with the Supervisor again and they agreed to give me my money back. Although it took them like 3 weeks to get the account credited, it finally happened. I guess you just need to threaten them to get the results you want. Good Luck to all of you still having issues with them. If I were you I would try the same thing I did. Then repost on here your results. Lets see if they start treating their customers a little better once they are threatened.
 8th of Nov, 2011 by   consciencious consumer 0 Votes
I have seriously considered buying one of these advertised heaters for quite some time. However, my common sense reminded me to search for any complaints before making a purchase. I've dealt with companies like this before and I don't look forward to getting involved with any shady dealings. I appreaciate all the comments and the warnings. I will not be buying an EdenPure heater or make any purchases from BioTech at any time. Thank you to all who have commented.

Strategy to Defeat Phishing Attacks