logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Flixaddict.com
SCAM- charges your credit card when they say they won't!
2. (0 mins ago)
Free of Blemishes
posting fake comments and product is a scam
3. (0 mins ago)

Best Buy

Posted:    MihD31

Bait and switch

Best Buy
Here's a new wrinkle on Bait and Switch...

Many retailers offer floor displays when new models arrive.

Best Buy claims they have never used floor display models. They use words like "open box" "clearance" "unactive". Try and pin them down and watch them squirm and waver. Get ready for double talk and man who speak with forked tongue. It will pour forth. I bought a never used floor display, the darn thing reached the second spin display and practically blew out out my whole electric supply. All the lights grew dim, my picture on the TV shrunk to half size, I measured the voltage and it dropped to 82 volts on the line! Being more then technically inclined I couldn't believe a new machine would do this. I blamed my wiring. I replaced the line and outlet. I made sure it was a single line with no branches, directly from the service box. Tried, same thing. Tried on a different outlet or two, same thing.

The display was defective. I returned it. Of course it was a good deal and they made no effort to replace it. They offered more costly machines. In fact another machine. Another "display". It had a scratch on the window, they dropped the price. We pulled it out and it had no leveling control legs, I pulled the soap dispenser try out - soap residue. Obviously a used return they claimed was never used. Then they offered me another machine, new...with only $10 off. They increased my cost $200. I fought, they lowered my increase to $160. I accepted and paid the difference. Guess what? None in stock, however I could pick one up at another store. Guess what? The other store had no "new" one. They had a display and a return only. I started on a Sunday, used Monday to re-do wiring, used all day Tuesday to do a return. I've spent half the day Wednesday trying to arrange and find the new unit by now that is fully paid for. I have nothing, except how they attracted my fancy with a cheap price on a defective machine and led me to spending $160 more on a new machine that took a day and half not to get. Most places are legit with these floor displays, to Best Buy all the appearance is truly is? They use floor displays to trick you and forcing you to end up spending more on a new one.

Further? When I returned the first machine they applied my credit towards a gift card and used the gift card to apply towards the new machine. I told them they have wasted enough of my time and I want my money back of course. Well guess what? They applied my initial return towards a gift card and applied that gift card towards my new purchase...ANDDDDDDD? Gift Cards are not refundable and so they have effectively tied up my money to their store forcing me to buy from them or trying to spend the next eternity trying to untangle the web they weaved to imprison my money.

I am a customer who has become a hostage at Best Buy, they tricked me with bait in the form of a defective floor display that forced me to make a higher purchase of which they could not provide or deliver and further complicated my situation by locking my money in a web of entanglement that a physicist couldn't find a formula to solve - thus hijacking me and forcing to Buy from them, Best Buy... "You Best Buy" when we get your money...

Take warning, that Yellow Tag is exactly what it means - 'warning' to all who enter here
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Nov, 2008 by   BOB DORNALIS 0 Votes
Sofisticated bait and switch scam taking place at this store. You will be defrauded in several of a dozen means.
 26th of Jun, 2009 by   Maverick 0 Votes
Massachusetts: Went to a local Best Buy to purchase a laptop. I found one for a decent price after going over different ones with the clerk. Unfortunately, when I was ready to buy it, they were out of stock.

Next day I was in Salem NH and stopped in the local Best Buy there and found a great deal. The clerk told me right out that they were out of stock but offered to check other stores. He told me that Portsmouth NH store had 7 available and called to confirm it. I offered to pay here and pick up in Portsmouth but unlike their competitor Circuit City they won't do that.

I drive 45 min to Portsmouth to be told they sold out 2 hours before I got there, but we do have this model for $200 more.

I told them I was told by the other store 45 min ago they were in stock and a call to their store confirmed it. Then I was told oh yeah 1 person bought all 7 on line. So this smells like the old Bait and switch routine to me.
 27th of May, 2012 by   valdostafactchecker 0 Votes
they twisted your arm to buy a floor display you should quit being so cheap and just buy a new one.

The Mail Bag & Final Thoughts