logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (20 mins ago)
Selene Finance
Helping people stay in thier homes
2. (32 mins ago)
Emirates Airlines
Deplaned in Dubai
4. (42 mins ago)
Meds Easy Reliable Online
Took money on credit card never send merchandise. . .
5. (55 mins ago)

Posted:    mdy

bad breeding practice

Beowulf Mastiff
Mexico, New York
I purchased two mastiffs from Susann Everett at Beowulf mastiffs and both dogs became sick. One died at the age of 3yrs and the other was diagnosed with Epilepsy at age 2yrs. Susann Everett never responded when I contacted her about these health issues. This breeder continued to breed relatives to my epileptic dog after she was notified of his condition. She blamed her puppy buyers for the sick dogs that she breed and sold and lied to people telling them the dogs were abused. She also never followed through with her contract. I would never reccomend purchasing a puppy from this breeder and I would suggest being very weary of her one sided contracts especially the Special Program she offers.
Comments United States Dog Breeders
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Aug, 2010 by   trupatriot -1 Votes
I hope this is not true... she is very well known and has produced scores of Champions. There has to be another side to this story.
 27th of Oct, 2010 by   macquistan +2 Votes
Hello,
I've had a similar experience with all three Mastiffs I purchased from Susann Everett. Unfortunately, the health problems did not surface until after I had purchased them all. My first Masiff from her had bone cancer at age four and had to be euthanized. My second Mastiff had a mild knee injury at age three which, at the time, I did not think was significant. However, now three years later he has developed such horrible arthritis of one of his elbows that he cannot walk on the effected leg. My third puppy from her developed trouble in both knees before he was even two! One knee was amenable to surgical correction, However, the other one is beyond repair. I wrote her an email explaining all the problems I've had. Her reply was very condescending and she accepted no responsability for the poor health of the dogs she breeds.
 30th of Nov, 2010 by   drool02 -1 Votes
The complaints that I have read are not necessarily the fault of the breeder. Knee conditions frequently happen with rough play, jumping and running around, even dogs with good knees can injure their knee. How is one to know how the complainant treated the dogs as growing pups? Maybe they were allowed to be too active for a growing giant breed. One comment says the 3yr old died, but doesn't specify what happened. And regarding osteosarcoma, this can be caused environmentally and not always genetic. IMO, no breeder is without faults, regardless of what some may say. Susann has been breeding mastiffs for years and the fact that she continues to have champion dogs and returning "customers" purchasing dogs from her over the years, IMO she can't be all that bad. Just because you pay thousands of dollars for a pet, doesn't mean you are guaranteed a healthy pet that will live a long life.
 13th of Jan, 2011 by   weebit +1 Votes
I understand there is a history of epilepsy and hip problems in the dogs this breeder continues to breed. No breeder should continue to perpetuate such serious conditions. I agree knee problems can be environmental but epilepsy is not.
 13th of Jan, 2011 by   urallnuts +2 Votes
THIS IS WHY YOU DO NOT BUY FROM BACK YARD BREEDERS!!!
 5th of Mar, 2011 by   sherman carpenter 0 Votes
my mastiff is sick at the age of 3 he is and was my best pal. it breaks my heart that iam going to put him down. john coffee i will always love you bubba
 7th of Mar, 2011 by   Kim Ellis +2 Votes
I also purchased a Mastiff from Suzanne from her "Special Program". Kelly was a beautiful 2 yr old little girl that i was told was socialized and house raised. Bull the dog couldn't walk up or down steps and was terrified of anyone other then me. The dog would NOT urinate or deficate it was almost 48 hours before she did so. I took her to my vet the day I got her, he was so not impressed the dog had a "sick" odor about her. 72 hours after getting Kelly she starting bleeding I called Susanne NUMEROUS times and she didnt want to hear it, kept telling me I MUST be doing something wrong. Long story short took the dog back to her, she wouldnt refund my moneywhen I made a caomplaint to the BBB I received a letter from her telling me I abused the dog etc etc. This dog was ILL and she would NOT admit it. Shes a whack job
 7th of Mar, 2011 by   sherman carpenter 0 Votes
my mastiff John. Is so sick right he's lost 40 lbs. John is so sick I have to hand feed him. I still don't know if he is goingto make it.
 8th of Mar, 2011 by   sherman carpenter 0 Votes
My mastiff John coffee pasted away this morning. John was 3 years old
 6th of Jul, 2011 by   Danielle919 -1 Votes
Susan is a wonderful breeder. My puppy had trouble adjusting to the food I switched him to for the first few months I had him and she was completly available and responsive at all hours. She gave suggestions, spoke to the vets and everything. Turns out he just had a minor food allgery. My dog is now 2 yrs and he is amazing, well breed, well socialized and just beautiful. For the dogs that developed knee and joint problems, it most likely stems from uneducated owners. These dogs are a giant breed, meaning they cannot be highely active or walked long distances until they reach 18-24 months! I had a great experience with Susan and will most certainly be using her again in the future
 14th of Jul, 2011 by   arloweedjr +2 Votes
This is a personal experience. First allow me to give you some personal background. We have raised large dogs for several years these include both Mastiffs and Great Danes. I have traveled to many shows and have interfaced with many breeders and handlers along the East Coast. I also own and operate a very successful business that is 100% based on customer service.
My story. After we lost our long time family Mastiff in early June we contacted Suzanne and spoke with her at length. We then entered into an agreement for the purchase of a female puppy to be picked up the weekend of July 16, 2011. The deposit was sent immediately by the required certified check.

Over the next couple of week we had access to images of the pup as she matured we had named her and Suzanne had started calling her by name. I ordered annnouncement card, posted images on my web site and several social media sites. The welcome home party was booked and the goodies all paid for. The hotel was booked and paid in full for the trip to pick her up.

About a week before we were going get her, I started getting emails from Suzanne at all hours of the night and day wanting to know what dog food I was going to use. I use a premium holistic brand that many breeders use. I have used it successfuly for many years. My Dane is 12 years old and acts like a dog of 3 or 4 the vet says he is incredible for his age! Monday night June 11, 2011 11:43 pm the phone rings. It is Suzanne with a hard sales pitch for us to use the food that she uses ( She ihas a vested interest in the company) and it was explained that I was comfortable with the food I use and have immediate local access to ( her's is shipped to you monthly. You have to give her a credit card number and they automatically fullfill the order monthly). I bit my tongue and was going to buy a bag and then just toss it out..but the orders would have been automatic and I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN VIOLATION OF HER CONTRACT. We told her we would not use the food ...she told us we could not have the dog because we were unfit. She hung up!

I called back to talk to her and her husband answered told me she was done with us and they were under no obligation for monies with us. He was rude but this sounded like a well rehearsed act. I told him to over night my deposit or I would be at his local jurisdiction th every next morning filing charges and looking for damages ( my 10 year old through the images and having named her is very hurt) He said he would mail a check. It just arrived and is in the bank.

THEY ARE NOT concerend with the welfare of the dog which they sell for $2500. They want the $60 a month ( $720 ) a year for 7, 8, 9 years. That can be as much as $10k for each dog when all is said and done.

It is my opinion through direct dealings that are fully documented that Beowulf and the Everetts are not conducting their business in the best interest of the dogs they breed nor in the best interest of the clients they deal with. Letters with full documentation have been dispatched to the BBB and the AKC.

There are many other breeders who can provide you with excellant pups and will help with any questions you may have. Please interview all the breeders and look for complaints.
 4th of Aug, 2011 by   jbholmes +2 Votes
I also purchased a mastiff from this woman and they about as unethical as people can be. I feel in love with the puppy at first through pictures over the internet and then the day came to pick her up and I was hit with a ridiculous contract demanding that I feed her dog food and she have rights to breed my dog. I then got the impression her & her husband thought they were better than anyone as they were telling me how bad other breeders were and how they were the best in the business. To make a long story short, my dog had severe hip dysplasia, heart problems, 2 torn ACL's and was infested with various parasites. Each time I called about a problem she told me to bring my new puppy back to them with no refund. A few times I spoke to Scott who assured me his wife would contact me but she never did. My dog was so sick just 2yrs old that my Vet suggested putting her down. They blamed me for everything and with owning large dogs all my life I had never had such a awful experience.
 12th of Dec, 2011 by   MadeITallUP 0 Votes
Looks like you can post anonymously. So you are correct about being able to attack a business. On the other hand the business could also make posts to contradict true statements.

I made the mistake of purchasing from her. I did tons of research on the internet to find just a few if any negative comments about her. I went ahead and purchased without reading the contract all that well. I would imagine many of us are guilty of that. What did I care, I was planning on always having the dog. Then the problems started. If you have ever had to deal with her in this manner then you already know that it is YOUR FAULT and there is no possibility of her accepting any responsibility. So if you are thinking about getting a dog from her and agree that there are very few negative comments about her on the net ... Do yourself a favor a read the contract. Especially the part about legal action if you post anything negative about her on the net.

So maybe the above posts are posts from evil people trying to ruin this ladies business or maybe they are a few of the people that have been screwed by this lady and found a site were they could post without legal action. Read the contract and ask then ask yourself "Do I really want to purchase from somebody who is so scared and threatens legal action in writing if you express your true opinion about the purchase".

FYI this story was all a made up because if it was true then I would be in violation of her contract.
 12th of Dec, 2011 by   MadeITallUP 0 Votes
Does anyone else find it interesting that ( Anyone with a CPU ) choose this post out of all thousands of posts on this site to respond to. If they were truly trying to specifically discredit this site then wouldn't they have posted in as many different topics as possible. Wonder what their motivation was.
 19th of Jun, 2012 by   Beowulf sells sick dogs.... +2 Votes
I also find it very funny that ALL the comments posted follow the same theme. This woman is great if you have no problems and a monster if you have them. She knowingly sells dogs that have issues. Dogs like the one that was sold to me. It also had issues. No question from my vet she was raised in a kennel. Somehow she got a UTI in the first 24 hours and It was my fault. She had other issues. Our vet was very surprised she hadn't been spayed before we bought he due to the issues. Pet quality means unhealthy to beowulf. They should not be breeding dogs. Our dog was also returned and no refund offered or given. It was alluded that we abused the dog... Stay away from this breeder. They are a gamble. If things are good they seem to be good to deal with. If things turn around they are nasty.
 26th of Jun, 2012 by   B. Mills 0 Votes
My dog also has had numerous problems. Starting with him being a long haired dog. In purchasing the dog, I made the breeder well aware I wanted a short haired dog. When I voiced my concerns that he was a fluffy, I was just given all sorts of excuses. And being in SC, returning him wasnt optional. I love him to death but I feel like the breeder wasnt honest about breeding and selling long haired mastiffs,
 19th of Oct, 2012 by   Janice Jones 2468 +2 Votes
Thanks for all the comments. I have been looking for Mastiff Breeders and now can make this one off the list!
 27th of Oct, 2012 by   awesome mastiff -1 Votes
I purchased my mastiff from her in 2006. In the beginning Susann was very responsive to all my questions and believe me I had many. After a couple of years I no longer had questions so did not keep in touch. Last year I had more questions and she responded quickly, as always. I feed my dog top quality food, her treats are fruits and veggies (excluding the toxic ones of course) and she gets a lot of exercise. She gets hour walk/jog every day. She also hikes with me, anywhere from 3-8 miles, distance depending on the weather. In addition, she swims. The vet says she is a PERFECT weight and looks great. Not many people hear that from a vet. I have never had problems with my mastiff yet and she is 6 years old. Sometimes, no matter how much you do to breed a healthy dog, a dog can have health problems. Paying $2, 500 for a mastiff and going with a reputable breeder does not guarantee a healthy dog. Nothing in life is guaranteed! All I am basing my opinion on is the mastiff I have. If someone knows of a breeder that can guarantee a mastiff that will never have health problems and live until 18, please provide that name to me so I can get my next perfect mastiff from them.
 2nd of Nov, 2012 by   Not a dog owner 0 Votes
It looks to me like they are working to find a cause. Genetics of this have NOT been identified yet. The vets are guessing on the cause. http://beowulfmastiffs.com/page/Seizures---Be-Part-Of-The-Cure

21st of Nov, 2012 by   a drool in time saves ? -1 Votes
I purchased a mastiff from beowulf mastiffs about 3 years ago and I could not be happier. This is the best dog I have ever had. I looked at a lot of breeders and talked myself hoarse. S. Everett was the most helpful, had the best win record in the AKC dog shows, has the best dogs in seven different countries. Nobody else even came close to this. Over these years, I have had several questions I needed answered and she was always right there, took the time to talk to me and to a T, her advise was always spot on. So much of what I've read in these comments reeks of soar grapes, or vendetta. I would encourage everyone who wants a mastiffs to at least contact her and see for yourself. You will get the best from the best.

The Psychology of Pricing