logo

Psychic Amanda
Fraud/Scam
2. (54 mins ago)
Wrinkle Acres Dog Kennel **KAREN WILSON**
Bad bad bad dog breeder for akc!
3. (1 hr 1 mins ago)

Posted:    Jan Myers

Overdraft Fees

BB&T Bank
Valdese, North Carolina
BB&T on-line banking software is not accurate and is very misleading.

The software BB&T uses on line does NOT display an ending balance. You have a Debit column and a Credit column ~ you do not have an Ending balance column. Instead you have a small window that displays “Available Balance". But this window is NOT accurate.

I also have recently experienced seeing a "Posted Transaction" {which by BB&T description is a paid item} completely disappear from the posted transaction window and then 2 weeks later show up in the "Pending Transaction" window to be paid again.
Not sure how a transaction can be displayed as paid for and funds be deducted from the available balance and then reappear to be paid out again. This software screw up has just cost me $420.00 in overdraft fees. BB&T accepts no blame for this issue and refuses to work with me {their customer} to rectify this issue.

I would suggest that if you are a BB&T consumer that when you bank on line or check your account you take and save screen shots of your on line bank statements. Press Ctrl and Print Screen keys on your key board and save to a Word document with the date. It may save you $420.00.

I will be paying BB&T their overdraft fees and closing my account and they will never ever earn my business again.
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

21st of May, 2009 by   SAB 0 Votes
I find it IRONIC that I just got off the phone with BB&T about the same issue on my account!!! I will get my money back if i have to go to the news or a lawyer. I didn't have a lot of money, but the little bit I had they took. Now they left me with the decision of basicly feed my kids or pay car payment. I am obviously going to feed my kids but will most likely loose my car (that is used to go to work)! The bank took a total of 140.00. Labled as overdraft fees when I had money in my account!! The women on the phone tried to explain what had happened to my account. She basicly said "We held on to some of your money for transations on hold then the other transations went through. That made your balance neg 90 cent. Then we charged you an overdraft fee. When we charged you the fee your money was then automaticly returned to your accout. So the money that was on hold for transations on hold paid for your overdraft fee. Then the held transations hit your account creating three other overdraft fees. Each fee is 35.00." HOW CAN YOU HOLD MONEY ON MY ACCOUNT FOR TRANSACTIONS ALSO BEING HELD AND THEN NOT USE IT FOR THAT PURPOSE!!!? IF my account transactions went through without the overdraft fee I wouldn't have overdrafted!!!

The bank knows its in the wrong thats why they are going to refund me 54.00 tonight, but I feel that I am intitled to all of my money!
 24th of Jun, 2009 by   Ms. Monnie Q. 0 Votes
I have dealt with several banks in the past but BB&T has got to be the worse bank I ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I get paid on Thursday's and my payroll department sends them my direct deposit on Tuesday. I need someone to tell my how and why they add the money to my account at 6:00a.m. on Thursday but do not post it to my account until 12:00 midnight Thursday going into Friday. So if I happen to use my debit card anytime on Thursday (which is my actual payday) I automatically get hit with a $35.00 overdraft fee. When I questioned them about this they said they post money to accounts once a day and that is at midnight. So I asked why don't they post my money on Wednesday night at midnight going into Thursday. That way I can access all my money on my actual payday. Because the way BB&T is handling it...it's almost like they have changed my payday until Friday. BB&T bank told me that my payroll deptartment says don't add the money to the account until 6:00a.m. Thursday but when I called my Human Resource Department they told me they never stated that. They told me my money is sent to my bank on Tuesday and they never sent them anything saying don't add to account until Thursday. They also told me this must be a really small bank if they only post once a day and maybe I should consider changing banks. She also told me that some of our other employees that deal with other banks and credit unions have access to there money on Wednesday's after 9:00p.m. Now what kind of mess is this.
 27th of Jun, 2009 by   bbandtsucks 0 Votes

Forums coming soon!!
 25th of Jul, 2009 by   GodisGr8-PeopleR Crazy 0 Votes
I am very familiar with posting direct deposits as i have done this in previous work. First of all when your employer says they "send" your check to the bank of Tuesday, what they are really doing is keying it into the computer. When your employer does this, the reason they "send" it on Tuesday is because its just like a check card purchase in that it takes 2 business days to post. It is a "transaction". Your payroll HAS to know this because you said you get paid on Thursdays. Your employer fully expects you to not get your pay even ONE day early. You are suppose to get paid on Thursday and you do. Your funds are posted and available to you Thursday morning.

Second, , , if you are getting overdraft fees, , i can assure you it is not on anything you initiate on Thursday morning. More likely, its items done prior to Thursday morning, meaning you spent more money than you had prior to Thursday. Go ask your bank to show you actual posting order not just your history transaction list and you'll see.

You cannot go Wed. night to Wal-mart and use your check card, thinking "Oh I get paid in the morning". It use to be credits would always post before debits, , but we are in the 21st century now. Banks know what time you use your card and what time your deposit comes in . And contrary to popular believe, , when you use your check card, it does not immediately "post" to your acct. The merchant only puts a temporary hold on those funds. The hold is released after the first processing night. Meaning that if your trying to use the ATM instead of your check register to keep up with your balance, , your probably goin to have Overdrafts.

Most people who complain about overdrafts, probably 90%, either (a) don't know what a check register is. ( b) have one but do not write everything down, and do not keep a running balance. or (c) Round up and think thats gonna keep them okay.

By the way, , , all banks post at night, , , they all only do it once.
Praise be to the person that pioneers the posting system to be "real time"
 18th of Mar, 2010 by   Gale1125 0 Votes
Two complaints. A few months ago my acct was compromised. They stole my ATM card and checkbook. The people took checks from someones closed account and deposited them into my account at the teller window. The people took a deposit slip, deposited the check and got cash back from the tellers at two branches. Overdrew my account by $400.00. Now BB&T has declined my theft report and says that I am at fault because my checkbook was NOT SECURED. In my home in my pocketbook as always--not secured??? I guess there is no problem with the fact that someone gave cash back to somebody they had to know was not me. I have a senior acct and the thief was like 30 years old.

2. Overdrafts. BB&T is the absolute worst bunch of scammers I have ever seen. Here is how there last scam worked on my acct. I have about $100.00 in my acct. I deposit cash ($300.00) to my account on Friday at 10 a.m. It posts immediately (cash) and reflects in my balance. I go grocery shopping and use my debit card, then go make a few pmts. Monday am I start getting overdraft fees. It seems that my money is NOT in my acct until they post it on their system which took until Weds morning. This cash deposit took three business days to post and here I am collecting overdraft charges the whole time. I want to know how to complain also
 29th of Apr, 2010 by   StNickolais 0 Votes
Filing formal complaints to get real results

Federal Reserve Bank Complaint Department

US Treasury Department - Office of Comptroller of Currency

9th of Apr, 2011 by   PE Gould 0 Votes
They chared me $33.00 for a .26 cent overdrafed. and then said ther was nothing they could do about it.
 9th of Apr, 2011 by   bubbs2k -1 Votes
I had a similar experience. I deposited a check, bought a sackful of groceries, got slapped with overdraft fee. Coincidentally, I saw a flyer taped to the wall of the drive thru window that mentioned something about increasing revenue from fees. BB&T has left a bad taste in my mouth. What exactly are inactivity fees? It's ridiculous.
 22nd of Mar, 2012 by   Ashley_j 0 Votes
I have had the same problem with this issue. My online available balance was $65 so i thought hey i can get some food gas and stuff to last me until my next paycheck. Then i check my online statement the next day and i was charged $340 in overdraft fees...WTF! called the 1-800 number and the branch manager and apparently what i see on my online banking statement is completely different from what they see on their computer. Ummm well no offense i said to the manager but why the hell would the online banking tell me i have $65 when i really dont, and if its not accurate then how is that my problem, maybe it should be more clear. and what really doesnt make any sense is that after they charged me an overdraft fee of $70 the first time my balance only went down to -$9 and some change meaning that they charged me the fee even though i didnt even overdraft. im soooo pissed now my paycheck that gets directly deposited into my account is gone because they charged me $340, and when i did the math on my own i should have only gotten charged 2 overdraft fees, all for like $15 and some change. This bank sucks!!! I never had this problem with capitol one
 21st of May, 2013 by   dove777 0 Votes
This bank is the worst they will find away to charge you overdraft fees stay away from bbt, , they put me trough hell they add transactions when it suits them to charge you, , they need a good class actions

Health Care Without Insurance: $100 a Month