logo

Piece of Junk

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

BB&T Bank Complaints & Reviews - They will flat ruin you!

BB&T Bank Contacts & Informations

BB&T Bank

Posted:    Justme

They will flat ruin you!

I have had access to my direct-deposited funds on the same day, but the online banking is a big problem. It is true that you cannot know your actual balance online, particularly if you use the debit card. It seems the balance only reflects a nominal portion or maybe a percentage of the actual amount debited and it won't post the full amount or where it went to until 2-3 days later. So those funds look online like they're available to you, but you'll get burned with fees later when you find out that the balance is entirely inaccurate.

I deposited a payroll check from a second job, as well as a state tax refund check on Wednesday morning and it wasn't credited until Thursday. And here's the fun part, which I'm battling with them on at the moment:

At my full-time job I have direct deposit, am always paid on Fridays, and I use their online bill pay set up to have all my bills come out on payday Fridays. I discovered this morning that they changed my payment date on all my currently due bills to THURSDAY. I didn't tell them to do that. They didn't send me an email to let me know anything about why I might need to check my payment dates and make changes. They just changed it. So, of course now I am hit with nasty overdraft fees because they paid my bills out of my account on Thursday but of course my payday didn't change, I still got paid on Friday.

This is theft, and I told them so.

I am done with BB&T. They will flat ruin you. They don't credit your deposits until after they pull your debits, so this is another way they get rich off of responsible, hardworking people who think that once they make their deposit that they should have access to their money (in this day and age, when they can make automatic deductions the second you write a check, there is no excuse for there not to be). It's just wrong.
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

27th of Feb, 2008 by   Gabi 0 Votes
I have experienced the exact same problem with the overdraft fees. If there is a class action forming, count me in!
 5th of Mar, 2008 by   fatimah 0 Votes
BB&T is a horrible institution. I, too, called the automated phone service to see if there was enough to pay for a second mechanic job, 45 minutes after I had paid the first time. Since it had credited the first job, I figured the phone teller was super accurate. WRONG! Was charged $35 in overdraft fees because another charge went through... too bad the teller mentioned NOTHING of held transactions. I left some money, too. To top it off, it was a saturday when i found out that my acct was in the hole and there were no banks open. I've sent them letters with no response. There is no doubt that i will be closing my account as soon as i settle on which credit union to switch to. bb&t is the worst banking institution I've ever dealt with! CLASS ACTION SUIT HERE WE COME.
 12th of Mar, 2008 by   Kaitlin 0 Votes
I signed up for free student checking about a year and a half ago because they offered a free blender and 25.00 to start the account. I use another bank and left the 25.00 untouched (for a rainy day) for a year. I went throught the BB&T drive-thru to take out 20.00 of the 25.00 where the teller handed me the money and I was on my merry way.

I started receiving these ridiculous statements saying my account was inactive all this time and was informed of charges for an inactive account and NSF?? fees totally around 50.00. Now the charges are somehow around 108.00 because I took 20.00 out of my account??!?!?! The teller never told me my account was inactive...how can they even take money out of an inactive account??

It's ridiculous and I honestly can't believe this nonsense. I will have to settle it eventually I'm sure because I need to build my credit. I can't believe how I was taken to the cleaners on this one though.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can they do this??
 21st of Mar, 2008 by   Jaime 0 Votes
Friday I deposited More then $1500.00 into my checking account, I also had funds available so my balance was well over this amout. I also posted 2 bill pays online in the amount of $1140 to be paid on Monday. On Monday evening I checked my account online and it was fine no overdrafts. I checked my account on Tuesday and it was fine no overdraft. I checked the account on Wednesday and it shows I was charged a $350 overdraft fee on Monday and a $175 overdraft fee on Tuesday... the kicker of it is my account balance was still positive. I spoke to 2 people on the customer service line and one at the actual bank because I could not understand how I could be charged overdraft fees when my account was still POSITIVE. I was told it was because I did not have the money, how do I not have the money if my account is POSITIVE. And that I needed to use a check register, I check my balance daily why do I need to use a check register.
Finally I sat down on my own and figured it out, The bill pays I posted on friday where on hold to come out of the account and that money went into hold on Friday not Monday but do not show up online, so anything I spent over the weekend came out of my available balance which was not correctly stated as they take the billpay out also. Needless to say the bill pays did not come out of my balance until Friday and I was charged an overdraft fee for those as well even though, the bank holding those funds caused me to go into overdraft on Monday though it was not stated on my online statement For Monday until Wednesday!

No one wanted to explain this to me in a way I understood, I was told repeatedly I needded to use a check register, though even If I had used one I would have still overdrafted considering funds did not come out in the order I spent them.

After adding up funds spent and funds available there was about a $120 difference, so I do admit I should be responsible for some of the overdrafts, But the fact is I was charged in all $600 in fees while my account balance was still POSITIVE per the internet statement, my account balance did not become negative until the 2 bill pays were posted.

I just need to know if it is legal to charge me nsf fees when even according to them ( I have a satement printout from the branch office also) my balance is not issuficiant.
My money will not be staying in this bank!
 28th of Mar, 2008 by   A. Roach 0 Votes
BB&T has consistently and systematically manipulated by account to charge me outrageous ISF fees. They prey on consumers that live paycheck to paycheck. They hold cash deposits, yet the deposits reflect availability, and when you try to use the money they approve the debit only to charge a $35 dollar fee and later tell you the money was not available. They are absolute rip-off artists. I banked with First Citizens for years and never had this kind of problem. I am filing a complaint with the South Carolina Office of Consumer Affairs and the US Attorney General's office. I've submitted a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) to the SC office of Consumer Affairs to see if there are any other complaints out there. I plan to use any information I can obtain on their 'consumer un-friendly" banking practices to force them to refund the erroneous charges. I would be interested in hearing from otherswith similar experiences and I would be willing to share any information I obtain.
 29th of Mar, 2008 by   terry lovette 0 Votes
i have no respect for this bank, i too question there banking ethics, and feel if u get knocked off your feet due to financial problems they are ready to sweep u under a rug.
 2nd of Apr, 2008 by   Stephanie Crowley 0 Votes
I agree about this bank. If I would of known any of this or how I was to be treated then I would have never opened an account. When we opened one we like all other accounts we put on the overdraft protection. That was five years ago. Little things here and there til Jan. when they said that we didnt have the protection. They took it. I was also told that I needed to grow up and if the money is not in the bank dont swipe the card. DUH. But when phone 24, and the online and even when I went to the bank none of the totals added up. Recently I had some fraud and had to talk to five different people and all they could do was refund some of the charges and not even the fraud since they said the banks collection did it. I have lost in this year alone over $2000 in fees and thats not even including the fees from my actual bills to charge to resubmit. I hate this bank. If their is a lawsuit against it I will be front and center. I am also submitting complaints to BBB, and a few federal offices. I saw on BBB that in the last 12 mths that their has been 24 complaints and that is just those that were put to the corporate office in NC. I am switching to AllSouth Credit since all I have heard and seen is great things.
 12th of Apr, 2008 by   melody 0 Votes
I too have been charged numerous overdraft fees by BB&T. Even though I have a credit card for overdraft protection, I was charged $70 dollars in overdraft fees for $7 dollars worth of purchases, and they said that the reason that they did not pull money from my credit card to cover it was because they can only pull money in $100 increments and I only had $96 available for my balance. So...my question is why can they not pull less than $100 dollars?
Also, they will deduct purchases made immediately from your account, however, deposits are TOTALLY different. IF you deposit a check before the designated time each day, it is not credited until after midnight. If you miss the designated time, it is not deposited until the FOLLOWING business day after midnight. Even when I deposited a check to cover the overdraft fees and bring my balance out of the red, I was charged yet another overdraft fee for an automatic payment that cleared after my check was deposited but before BB&T actually put it into my account. Do not bank with them.
 14th of Apr, 2008 by   J C 0 Votes
I have direct deposit. I work for a major company- Fortune 500. YES, HELL YES, I AGREE STRONGLY that BB& T is a rip-off and people should run RUN away from this bank. My paycheck was deposited on Friday, but only $100 was showing online. You can bet I went in first thing Monday to the bank with my deposit slip to find out where my money went...they were holding it until TUESDAY MORNING and the $100 was a "COURTESY DEPOSIT"!!! IT'S A "COURTESY"????????????? TO KEEP MY (MY, MY MY MONEY NOT BBT'S MONEY) FOR 4 DAYS SO THEY CAN INVEST IT, MAKE MONEY OFF IT, AND CHARGE ME FEES ON TOP OF IT WHEN I USED MY DEBIT CARD(THE DAY AFTER I MADE THE DEPOSIT). A COURTESY? TO STEAL FROM ME FOR 4 DAYS IS A COURTESY!
 15th of Apr, 2008 by   Jess B 0 Votes
OMG! My husband and I have gotten in a million fights over this damn bank!!! He keeps asking me how is this happening. We have the same debits post before the deposit...I have direct deposit at this bank and Navy Federal Credit union. Funny thing is that my direct deposit hits BB & T a day sooner but, I always get fees... I am a negative 257 Right now. The last fee was a fee for being overdrafted... come on.
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by   jay taylor 0 Votes
bbandt is a terrible bank i really wish all of this had been made public when i first got the account. we really need to help eachother out and get the word about places like this out there.
 24th of Apr, 2008 by   Nick 0 Votes
BB&T is a terrible bank. They are crooks.

This is really sad, people rely on their bank for virtually everything and BB&T is essentially stealing from their customers. Look at this message board and there are countless others I found. It is sad, and the government lets them get away with it.

I was charged $140 overdraft fee when my check register never went to a negative balance. I didn't miss writing down any transactions either. They claimed to have given $100 credit towards the deposited check. But the $100 never actually posted. It just went to avail. balance section.

I deposited my paycheck Friday evening. The check posted Monday night, AFTER ALL OF THE OTHER TRANSACTIONS. They post debit and credit transactions before any deposits. Even though the deposit should have been considered a Monday morning deposit.
Nothing like waiting all weekend for your paycheck to post. Then having unfair $140 fee when they should have posted the deposit FIRST.
 28th of Apr, 2008 by   anonymous 0 Votes
STOP BEING A VICTIM - COMPLAIN TO THE RIGHT PEOPLE. The more that complain to these sources the more practices will be questioned and hopefully something will be done and we'll get our money back IN FULL! This is not an exhaustive list - but a place to start working on bringing as much truth as possible to the issue to 21st Century banking procedures - and they are not loosing money - they are all making a lot of money - and that bailout for the banking industry ludicrous! Just more raping of the American public!

Complaints need to go to the following:

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580

U.S. Department of Justice
US Attorney General
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001

The State Attorney General in which you reside - google State of ____, State Attorney General.

The State Banking Commissioner in which you live - although federal administrative law creates the regulations that govern the industry, each state creates its own commission for enforcement.

Better Business Bureau for the City in which you live.

House of Representatives
House Committee on Financial Services
House Financial Services Committee
Democratic Staff
2129 Rayburn House Office Building
Ph: (202) 225-4247

Members

Chairman Barney Frank represents Massachusetts' Fourth Congressional District. The other Democratic members of the Committee are:

Rep. Paul E. Kanjorski, PA

House Financial Services Committee
Democratic Staff
2129 Rayburn House Office Building
Ph: (202) 225-4247
Click here to write to your Representative about issues relating to the Financial Services Committee.

Senate House Committee

PAT ROBERTS, KS
JOHN ENSIGN, NV
JOHN E. SUNUNU, NH
 6th of May, 2008 by   Frank Smith 0 Votes
Mr. Wenick who stole my 401-K money? My 401-K money was not in Federated Funds as you were to make me think. Federated Funds told me that my money (401-K) was not in Federated Funds. Mr. Wenick and BB&T why will you not tell me the truth as to what happened to my missing 401-K money? I know who cheated me it was Mr. Wenick and BB&T Bank! Frank Smith 3615 Highspire Dr. Barberton, Ohio 44203.
 23rd of May, 2008 by   James 0 Votes
bb&T,

My wife and I have impeccable credit and recently applied for a loan. Your loan manager was m0re like a car saleman and very insulting. I have a 792 credite score and my wife is a few points less and the income to back it. I was trying to get a land loan and the process just kept getting drug on and on . I went to Wachovia and I was approved in fifteen minutes. BB&T was intrusive and I will never do business with them nor will any of my corporations. I was totally insulted by the experience and have never been treated this way.. I withdrew my loan application and yet I was declined in the mail. In fact, I just applied for a $900, 000 constuction loan and it took about 4 hours for approval. BB&T is the worst and will never ever considering doing any kind of business with them.

J
 23rd of May, 2008 by   James 0 Votes
HORRIBLE!!! That is what this bank is.
 2nd of Jun, 2008 by   judy anglin 0 Votes
Here I thought I didn't know how to balance my checking accout. I guess none of us do.I deposited after 2:00 on a Friday which should have been posted on Monday Had payments come out on Monday (thought I had Money in there) and low and behold 210.00 in over draft fees Didn't know that I couldn't use my money until Tuesday But I bet they use our money when we put it in the Bank. If they can see charges to our account from our Debit cards before they post surley they can see our DEPOSITS when there put in (THEIR)Bank more than a day in advance . Have banked with BB&T for more than 10 years and have never had this problem. When I told them "Now I understand why I have been hearing so much BAD about them. And said maybe I needed to go somewhere else I was told maybe I should. GREAT WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS If I told someone that in my work and my boss knew that, I would be looking for a new job.
 8th of Jun, 2008 by   Sandra 0 Votes
MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH BB&T AND THEY SEEM TO BE CRAZY FROM BRANCH TO BRANCH. WE HAVE PLENTY OF MONEY IN OUR CHECKING ACCT. BUT WHEN WE GIVE PEOPLE A PERSONAL CHECK THEY WON'T CASH IT FOR THEM WITHOUT A $5.00 FEE. THIS MAKES ME SICK. WHEN A CHECK IS DRAWN ON A BANK AND THE PERSON WHO WROTE THE CHECK HAS 1000 TIMES THE AMT. OF THE CHECK IN THIER ACCT...THEN CASH THE CHECK IDIOTS!!! I ASKED THEM FOR OUR MONEY IN CASH AND THEY SAID IT WOULD BE 2 WEEKS TO GET IT. THEN WE ASKED FOR A CASHIERS CHECK FOR THE MONEY IN OUR ACCOUNT THEY SAID TO WAIT AND TALK TO THE MANAGER...THE MANAGER..HA..HA..HA. WHEN WE MADE A LARGE DEPOSIT INTO OUR ACCOUNT FROM A CAR ACCIDENT PAY OFF HE TREATED UP LIKE WE WERE CRIMINALS AND MAYBE WE FORGED THAT LARGE CHECK. I SHOULD OF NIPPED IT RIGHT THEN AND THERE, BUT DIDN'T. THE NEXT TIME I GIVE A FAMILY MEMBER A CHECK AND THEY DON'T CASH IT FOR THEM, THEY WILL GIVE ME A CAHIERS CHECK...AND I WILL GET MY MOTHER TO DO THE SAME...AND MY AUNTS AND UNCLES...AND MY FRIENDS...AND SEVERAL BUSINESSES WE HAVE A SAY SO IN. RULES MY FAT BUTT, MY MONEY IS IN THE CHECKING ACCOUNT AND YOU ARE MAKING MONEY OFF OF IT AND WHEN I WRITE A CHECK YOU CASH IT BB&T!!! WE DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT OVERDRAFT CHARGES, JUST ABOUT THE BB&T CASHING OTHE CHECKS TO PEOPLE WITHOUT CHARGING THEM A FEE. MONEY GRUBBERS!!!
 19th of Jun, 2008 by   Willy 0 Votes
BB&T is the worst kind of finacial institution. I recently called to make a customer service complaint. While I was on hold I got their "Commercial" all about how they started out as a po little bank in a po little town and never forgot thier roots. How important customer service is to them and how well they treat you. All this so you'll believe they actually care about you. What a crock...

After paying off an auto loan I called several times to inquire about the title. The person on the other end of the phone acted like I killed thier parents for calling. They were not just rude, but openly hostile at my questions. BB&T doesn't know what real customer service is, that's why they play that stupid " we're just a po little old bank" crap while you wait for the next person to insult you on the phone.

Will I be a BB&T customer in the future? What do you think?
 25th of Jun, 2008 by   ReAnn Rig 0 Votes
I see I am one of a million like you all with the same mess. They have ruined my small business and I am about to sue myself. They are ridiculous with their fees as I just checked my balance today with an overdraft total of $970 accumulated in two days, ALL THE WHILE MY CHECK CARD WAS WORKING AND THEY WERE PROCESSING BUSINESS CHECKS.

They are horrid, I hate them, I hope they ared sued out their noses and we need to file with the better business bureau, and other places like your editorial page of the largest paper you can find in your city.

I also was told by the bank that this the way all banks are going to be doing business now, and that they are one of the "first" who hold checks to make sure they are cleared, all the while they allow transactions to go through on your account in order to charge you a fee.

Wow, I am smoking mad at this one and sorry for us all to have been burned by them. God help them on judgement day.

ATM Fraud Costs One Man 24000$