logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Advanced Pain Management Phoenix Az Dr. Brian Page, D.O., Advanced Pain Management
2. (1 mins ago)
Bpoetry
cancellation of service
3. (3 mins ago)
www.stoneislandjacket.co.uk
They charged me for the cancellation of my order
4. (20 mins ago)
3 Charges on my credit / debit card

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Bank of America-Privacy Assist Plan, Minnesota Complaints & Reviews - Abusive Customer Service Rep

Bank of America-Privacy Assist Plan Contacts & Informations

Bank of America-Privacy Assist Plan

Posted:    Kris

Abusive Customer Service Rep

Bank of America
Minnesota
BEWARE OF BANK OF AMERICA. I called to cancel the Privacy Assist plan which BOA had offered through telemarketing. I was told the materials would be mailed to me and that I would have 30 days to review it and if I wanted to cancel I could do so in that 30 day period with no obligation. The telemarketing call to me was 8/19/08 and the postmark on the materials is 8/22/08, meaning that I would have received the materials around 8/26/08. Within 30 days of my receipt of the materials, I called BOA on 9/22 to cancel and was told to call back when I received my next statement and the charge would be removed. I called on 10/22/08 and had to explain the entire story again to a different CS rep who told me that the 30 day period for review of the plan is from the date of the telemarketing CALL so therefore I had not called in time to cancel the plan. Of course this information REEKED of intentional misrepresentation and fraudulent practice, so I asked more questions to qualify what I was being told and he then became beligerent and condescending and even mocked me by repeating what I said in a high pitch voice! I asked several times to speak to his supervisor and he told me that the issue "does not qualify for supervisor contact"...BRICK WALL! I called back today and was told the system was updating so I would have to call back in 20 minutes... Consumers BEWARE and be sure to review complaints online before ever electing to become a Bank of America customer - there is much complaint info about BOA's abuse of its customers.
Comments United States Bad Business Partners
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Feb, 2009 by   Tigereyze77 -4 Votes
I am guessing that you are one of those individuals who don't have a good credit score or just don't care if they are protecting thier identity. Privacy assist is the only company that offers Internet survelence in protection. If one is all about protection of thier identity and protecting themselves against credit fraud this is for you. If you are into recieving a free credit report, go online once a year you are intitled to it. Privacy Assist are for those who care about the hard work they put forth everyday to achieve the great rates they are entitled to. Privacy Assist is like buying a protection plan on a vehicle, home, life insurance any asset you would normally secure. You obviously didn't read the info. Be more informed when posting blogs about a service We all know you didn't get the picture.
 24th of Feb, 2009 by   pacz +1 Votes
Kris' description of the telemarketing call to purchase the plan is accurate. I too was contacted by BOA and sold the Privacy Assist plan though at the time I did not realize there was charge for this service, as crazy as that seems. On 2/24/09, I received the plan, reviewed its contents and decided I did not want it. I called that same day to cancel and the customer service rep's tone was not shall we say very helpful. He kept trying different techniques to confuse me and get me to stay on the plan, finally asking me if a less expensive plan would work. I had to repeat to him at least three times that I wanted to cancel the plan before he finally canceled it. I was reading this post while I was on the phone and am glad I did. Something in the tone and marketing scheme at the beginning of the call did not sound on the up and up so I searched the web and found this post.

tigereyze - Some people have protection and don't necessarily want this plan. The tone of your message sounds like you work for BOA as one of their reps. Too bad you felt you had to mock the original poster. My credit scores are all in the good range. Not excellent but good which is fine with me. I do care about protecting my identity and take precautions to monitor it frequently. I reject your criticism and suggest you refrain from starting flame wars in the future.
 8th of Jun, 2009 by   Jason 0 Votes
Do NOT sign up for BOA's buyer protection plan - they give 12 months free BUT after the expiration I've been trying to cancel for two months now. They automatically started billing me over $200 a month after the 12 month expiration. They don't accept cancelations over the telephone and somehow their fax machine is never working. It is a pain. Not worth the free 12-month period. I can only imagine how difficult they would be if someone actually tries to make a claim with them. Forget about this program and opt out! No worth the hassle! And since it is not insurance, they are not regulated like insurance companies. Read the fine print! Buyer beware!
 18th of Jun, 2009 by   Stevent10993 0 Votes
I, too, was taken in by this same scam. A woman called my business yesterday saying she was calling from BofA to tell me they had reason to believe my personal identity had been compromised and that they needed to send me my my credit reports so I could make sure that this had happened. I asked her 7 times during this call if this was a sales call; if she was selling anything, and she lied every single time and said no, that she was from the bank. What made me believe her was that she had my credit card number and my social security number.She then asked if she could record what we were saying, and when she asked me if I would agree to do "this, " I asked her what "this" was, to which she replied that she would take my "answer" as a yes. A question is not a "yes."
Then, as soon as I got off the phone, I did a search for this scam and found this has happened to a lot of people. And when I called BofA this morning to file a complaint, they refused to acknowledge that they had done anything wrong or that any wrong had even occurred. Is lying in BofA's name not wrong? Is deliberately scaring someone with a lie so you can steal from them not wrong? Is their giving dishonest affiliates my social and credit card number not wrong?
BTW, I, too, suspect that tigereyze has a vested interest in discrediting the folks who are complaining. But my combined three agency credit score is over 800 and has been for years. And for anyone interested, the phone number from which this call originated is 1-281-469-1220 . The point. Do not trust BofA to be honest, or act responsibly, when it comes to this scam. They don't really care and just want your money.
 19th of Jun, 2009 by   chchchchchch 0 Votes
Exact same thing happened to me... one of the supervisors was awful... worst costumer service ever.
 22nd of Jul, 2009 by   justwanttounenroll 0 Votes
How do you stop these guys!!! For 3 months I have been trying to stop them. Even faxed them so now they have my Dr Lic. also!! Guess what, they said today that they have no record. They cannot verify my account. They immediately change the subject when you ask what it is they cannot verify. I think this is some kind of fraud, legal or not. They are taking my money ($12.99 per month) and will not stop.
 22nd of Jul, 2009 by   justwanttounenroll 0 Votes
I can't get them to stop collecting payments!!! This is very fraud like in its operation. I have been trying to cancel for 3 months. Even disputing the charges. Nothing works. When I get them they get my information, pausing a lot between questions, then decide they cannot verify my account. They will not tell my what it is that cannot be verified. This gives their type of operation a black eye. They need to be put out of business.
 31st of Jul, 2009 by   Xylibris 0 Votes
BOA Privacy Assist is a sham. I had been trying to cancel for more than a month and had my account closed. When I opened a new account BOA allowed them to connect the old account with the new and charge me for 3 months of "service" instead of 6 that they said i received service. I called Privacy Assist and asked them why they would send me a letter saying that If they couldn't charge my account (previous acct) that they would cancel my Privacy Assist account. A month later BOA allowed them to charge for 3 months instead of six and wouldn't remove the charges. Thats probably because they got OD charges. If you have been affected by this please report them to HELPWITHMYBANK.ORG. This is a government agency that helps when banks lie to you or do illegal things. PLEASE PLEASE REPORT THEM and all of our cases will be stronger against them.
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   DFWMOM 0 Votes
Trying to cancel Bank of America Privacy Assist. . . . awful, awful, awful! It was just like people said. You keep yelling "no, i want to cancel the service" into the phone but they will not take no for an answer. The guy even tried to get me to sign up for a different product without my permission. Then, I asked to do the customer service survey at the end of the phone session. . . and the guy freaked out on me and started backtracking on some of the comments he made. He finally said "ok" but hung up the phone (so I didn't get to give my 2 cents in the survey). It was all very weird. I finally had them cancel my service but it took a lot of PERSISTANCE!!
 26th of Aug, 2009 by   madashell123 0 Votes
I just stumbled accross this site, because my husbands account was charged by B o A Privacy Assist. What a nightmare!! My husband ordered the service so he could get a free credit report, but he cancelled the same day. he also received a packet that stated that if you want to activate your account, you could go online enter your pin#, or you could fill out the bottom of the order form and mail or fax it in, but that your account would not be activated unless you did one of these three things. My husband went to check his account on 08/24/2009 to find out that he was charged twice, once in July and then again in August. I was told by B of A that I had to call privacy assist to have it credited back. My husband had also received an e-mail when he cancelled. I called privacy assit and was told that they don't show the account ever being cancelled. I explained to them that we received an e-mail, they stated they didn't send an e-mail. I advised I wanted my account credited and this service cancelled. The rep. sounded like a broken record, I can give you a credit because we don't show you cancelled. I aske to speak with a supervisor and was transfered to Angela, what a big help she was NOT!! she wanted to argue, i advised her that the packet stated that it would not be activated unless you received his authorization, she stated where does it say that. I was floored.I was unable to locate the packet at the time, so she gave me her direct number. When I located it, I called back was advised she was on another esculated call (I wonder why). I had previously advised her that I wanted the account cancelled and credited for the 25.99 they had taken, she refused. After holding for several minutes I was transfred to another supervisor named Carol, as I was holding I called B of A on another phone. I spoke with the claims department, I gave the phone to my husband to talk to Privacy Asist . B of A immediatley gave us credit for the charges, Carol from Privacy Assit also told my husband she would credit the account and cancel the service. I kid you not I started this process at 5:16pm and didn't get this all resolved until 7:09pm two hours!! for $25.99...what a joke...BEWARE!!!
 9th of Sep, 2009 by   dingdongwang 0 Votes
I agree, I had the same .I use debit card a lot and I do not notice the 12.99 charge and they charged me for the whole year . when you call them they are very rude and they are not willing to cancel the account . Let us know if you plan to take this to court, I will join .

BOA - Bastards Of America .
 24th of Sep, 2009 by   Gs319 0 Votes
I to got all of the same antics got cacelled but was told they could not stop the auth on my accout for the 12.99 even though it was agreed to be only 29 days into the 30. Hate them ccalled boa and they noted my account so I can get money refunded. What a nigmare now they will proably screw my credit up plus they have all of my information. I am in on a lawsuit.

Gary
 21st of Oct, 2009 by   privacyassist 0 Votes
I WORK for Privacy Assist. Well actually BoA subcontracted it out to Intersections who subcontracted it out to Synergy Solutions. BoA sets up the guidelines for us when we take calls and we are monitored by BoA from 1-2p every day. Customers are enrolled either by telemarketing, inbound (calling BoA), website, or by direct mail. We are told we MUST give 2 full rebuttals and then advise of the website, then offer a downsale of 8.99, and then offer the survey. It is a good product if you want the service or had identity theft, but I also wonder how telemarketing actually enrolls people. We are TOLD they have to say 'yes' three times and hit any key on the phone to authorize the service and a 2nd person (verifier) confirms the order - thats what we are told. We are hired as a retention for 8.50/hr (wages lowest in town for a call center) and might get .25 per each save. As an employee, if we do not offer 2 FULL rebuttals or the downsale, we are wrote up. Three write ups and we are fired. There is a high turn over rate. Most people only last 3-4 months.
Working conditions are bad!! Not only are we forced to say this stuff that BoA REQUIRES, we are not allowed to have any phones on the property - there is not a phone for anyone to use to call home in a call center. Also if we have to use the toilet, 2-3 times a week we walk to next door b/c our facilities are broken. Two toilets for men and three for women in a 150 person call center. We must make up the mins we left to use the toilets at the end of our shift. If the computer systems go down, we are not paid and have to make up the hours again. If your sales or percentages are low, you are called out in the call center saying something like 'notice the lowest five employees saves percentages' (names given) to the entire call center. Chairs are broken, someone fell hurt their arm (literally having surgury) and was told they could not go home, if they did they would loose a point and need to make up the hours. We get 12 points a year, no sick time. One person had a seizure, fell and cut her head, taken by ambulance, and had a point taken off. We pay 1300 for health care a year, have a co pay, and the maximum health benefit for a 12 months is 1500 total.
Then there is the Quality Control in our call center that monitors and records EVERY call. We cannot say trial, free, or cancel - get in trouble for that. You cannot hardly get a manager to take a call. We can only refund a maximum of 30.00 but then we get called out on how much we give out at the end of the month. We cannot change the billing date, even if someone never received their credit reports. We MUST verify the full name, address, and either phone number, SS No, or date of birth. We must speak to the member directly regardless of who's checking or CC account is being billed.
I was really mad when BoA was in the office 2 weeks ago and gave out tee shirts and a $10 gift card saying this was the most profitable year and the want us to push for more sale during the 4th quarter, from a company that got a $45B bailout. I wish that they would raise our pay but we are subcontracted out twice, and by the way there is no pay increase - pay freeze in effect for yrs. I also wish we could get more advise on how telemarketing works. I had a deaf women enrolled in Privacy Assist from BoA telemarketing - how did she get enrolled?
I am fed up with this job and looking for other jobs. I do my personal best for people and luckily I have not been caught by quality control or BoA. I do tell then of the two rebuttals, but they are not full rebuttals. I offer the downsale and the survey. It is hard to do this job. I refund we I think the person is telling the truth. I end the call without having the caller hang up on me - they dont mind callers hanging up because we are told not to stop talking. I have honestly need 2-3 beers a night and yesterday when I came home I fell asleep exhausted for three hours.
I believe this is unethical but it could be a good service but BoA only cares about the $$$$. Dont blame Privacy Assist or its employees - WE HAVE TO DO THIS BECAUSE BANK OF AMERICA REALLY LISTENS TO OUR CALLS AND WANTS THIS DONE THIS WAY. We, as employees, have no choice and get rewarded for pushing sales. If you do good and BoA hears the call you might get $25 gift card or maybe lunch - wow!! I won $1 for having 2 saves in an hour - wow!! I dont know if it was on my check because I have direct deposit and hardly see a paystub - wasnt given the last 4 pay periods, doesnt matter because its all lumped into 3 sums - hours worked, overtime, and everything else (bonuses, money you won, attendance bonus, and other - we never know the actual breakdown of what we get paid). Many people are always short on pay - kinda weird.
If you dont like the service - let BoA know and move your money to another bank, preferably one that doesnt have overpaid executives and a federal bailout.

8th of Dec, 2009 by   km01 0 Votes
I am being scammed by Privacy Assist now. They want $12.99 per month and cannot confirm that I got any items they sent to my home. Then they called and left a voice message saying they had been getting what they sent me returned to them by the post office and wanted me to call back to verify my address etc. I went to B of A and got a bit of a run around. The branch manager said she would return 9 months of service fees to me and Privacy Assist would give me back 3 months but they say I consented to having this service back in July 2007 which means I'm out over $400. I want my money back and will do all that is legal to get it. Once I receive the funds back, in order to make sure it stops I'm closing my accounts with B of A and will looking into alternative financial services.
 3rd of Jan, 2010 by   jarielw 0 Votes
I'm am only 18 years old and BofA has charged me for this privacy thing. I remember the day that lady called me and asked if I wanted the service. I told her no, but she still patched me through to some other woman. I then told this woman I didn't want the privacy assit. And yet, they charge me $12.99 for December. I'm very pissed off. Just becasue I'm 18, doesn't mean I don't check and manage my account. Planning to call first thing in the moring to sort out this horrific situation.
 1st of Feb, 2010 by   arksta 0 Votes
I Agree with complaints. When called to cancel I kept asking how this could have happened since we had never signed for or ok'd anything. I had to ask several times because I wasn't being listened to, just getting the same old sales spiel repeated. The representative was loud, pushy, and abrupt. Our credit rating is excellent, always has been. We are concerned about fraud and are very careful, which is how we caught this right away. I was told that it is offered when the credit card is activated. So listen very closely to all that is being said. They know most people are so numbed by the constant barrage of unnecessary verbiage that they tune out. My husband activated our credit card renewal and that's what may have happened. They obviously did not follow the procedure that is stated in a previous posting above. When I first complained BOA credited the charge but did not cancel the account. When it showed up again and they were called I was told I had to call a different number to actually cancel the account since it was a separate deal. This leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth regarding BOA.
 11th of Mar, 2010 by   Ruth and Michael Svoboda 0 Votes
My husband and i would like to cancel privacy assist. it really doesn't do anything to protect you. if you be careful. you don't need the protection. please cancel ASAP. ruth and micheal svoboda
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   Furious in Maine 0 Votes
I am having the same problem. I dont know where to call or where to drive to. 12.99 on a credit card a month when I cannot afford the minimum payment as it is! What kind of a scam is this ??
 2nd of Jun, 2010 by   bobby sue 232 +1 Votes
These people- P.A. are misrepresenting crooks. If my bank can't protect my money, B.O.A., any better than having to have a 'insurance' company to watch over the money then I need another bank to do business with.
I really though better of BOA but have changed my thinking.
PA said they were going to give my money 12.99 back however it has yet to be seen. This all happened yesterday. A very Rude Call with them only led to having it CANCELED and them agreeing to replenish the money into my handicapped sons account. They are idiots!!! and this is a STUPID service to sell in the first place. Why does BOA let these scams go on under there name?
 21st of Jul, 2010 by   ANGRYBlackChic 0 Votes
I will contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint because this is ILLEGAL. BOA sent me a letter saying to sugn the form if I wanted a FREE credit report. I did so and NOW i'm being charged 12.99 for a service that is USELESS for those who use the acct to cash CHECKS only!!! I called and asked 4 a refund and 2 cancel the service. I was told that I could NOT get a refund but my services were cancelled. THEN I called BOA and told then that I had cancelled the service JUST so they'd note it. I WILL CANCEL BOA b/c they r being unjustly enriched on OUR SUFFERING and this attempt to get money is IILEGAL!!!

5 Ways to Stop Foreclosure