logo

Terrible Business

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Banfield Pet Hospital Complaints & Reviews - Ruin my perfect credit history!

Banfield Pet Hospital Contacts & Informations

Banfield Pet Hospital

Posted:    Ray

Ruin my perfect credit history!

I had been a Wellness Plan client at Banfield Pet Hospital in Oxnard, CA for over two years when I decided to cancel the plan. I was told to come into the Banfield to pay the last two months and that vaccinations were due for my dog at which time I could cancel the plan. I paid the last months fee and was told that my plan was canceled. Two months later I was contacted by Banfield Oxnard and told that my account was two months late in payment. I discussed this with the manager who said that since I had the vaccinations I was now obligated to pay the cost of the vaccination (a ridiculous fee over $300) or pay for the plan for another year at $20 a month. I asked for this to be put in writing this time because this was not what I was told when they canceled the plan two months prior. The manager said she would not put anything in writing and summoned me to her office to make the payment immediately or she would send my account to collections. I was appalled at the treatment and extortion especially after being a good paying customer for years. Now I'm left with submitting to their extortion or they will attempt to ruin my perfect credit history.
Comments United States Animal/Pet Hospitals
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Apr, 2007 by   Sally Lewis 0 Votes
I also had a Banfield Boulder health plan. I began to notice a pattern: whenever I came in for "covered" procedures I was told my pet needed numerous other procedures, often with total costs in the upper hundreds. The third time this happened I took my pet in to another vet for a second opinion and was told in no uncertain terms these procedures were unnecessary. Essentially, I had been scammed.
 1st of May, 2007 by   Bella 0 Votes
I have had several problems with Banfield Hospital also, #1168 in Louisville, KY. Staff goes from a hostile argumentative attitude, price gouging and errors in scheduling, to providing uneducated medical advice regarding pet care. When the vet is personally confronted, she/he appears to be looking through a tunnel at these problems from another country, boldly casting the full blame on her unhealthy staff. According to a representative at the Banfield Headquarters, each hospital is owned and managed by the vet/doctor. Who would believe a caring health care provider/owner/manager would allow unprofessional practices in her facility, that is unless he/she is as manipulative as her/his staff? This same person recommends unnecessary surgeries not covered by the plan as a means to increase Banfield revenues, despite neither thought of the health and pain to pet or the extra cost to the client.

Money Banfield claims that members are saving could be used at another facility to pay for a whole year of surgeries, vaccinations, and preventatives for a year.

While in the plan, my pet had severe diarrhea thank God the visit was included in the plan though treating this problem was not and the cost was extreme. On another occasion, I urgently needed my pet seen, her/his staff casually informed me “she/he will be in surgery” all day, and this was the case on any day convenient for me to take him.

I asked to be dropped from the plan and the cost would be $600.00, though my pet had not received all of his vaccinations. Because of the financial loss to drop out, I was forced to remain in the Banfield Wellness Plan. Exploitation of trusting, unsuspecting clients to join the plan is a criterion met by Banfield staff to increase their profits regardless of the well-being of pets. Banfied wants you to put your money where other clients have put their money, in the Banfield Hospitals, the care of pets come second.

I have alerted the Better Business Office about Banfield Hospital’s unprofessional business practices and sent a copy to the Petsmart Headquarters.
 10th of May, 2007 by   Mary 0 Votes
I had a similar experience with the Banfield Animal Hospital (it's a joke that it's called a hospital) in Braintree, MA.

From their deceptions and unlawful billing practices, sketchy veterinarian who pushes services and expanded plans, botched surgeries, animals sent home still lifeless and under the influence of anesthesia, and a group of rude and incompetent front desk people who also act as assistants to the vet during surgery, I was forced to pay an inflated bill because my bank account was not debited by them for two months and instead of alerting me to the problem, they put me into collection. I have worked hard to maintain a very good credit rating and, like you, didn't want that ruined by this highly suspect "hospital".

My intention is to leaflet outside their store to warn people about their business practices. Also, when I tried to cancel I was told I needed to put it in writing 30 days in advance. Well, they didn't tell me that when I called to cancel and claimed that it was my responsibility to read the contract. If you go online you will see many other people have been ripped off or worse (their animals have been harmed or killed) by this horrible corporation (veterinarian owned like a franchise like Dunkin Donuts or something).
Please do not go there and certainly do not sign up for the Wellness Plan.
 11th of May, 2007 by   Celeste 0 Votes
I agree. I have been a loyal client for 9 years until now. Yesterday when we truly needed the Banfield Team, they betrayed us. My dog got into antifreeze yesterday and before we took her in, we called the vet to let them know we were coming. They told us to come in, and so we did. It took us 18 minutes to get there and when we do we are told "The vet left on an emergency." and we were referred to another vet. I call today to complain that we were told to come in and then the vet left and I find out, the "emergency" was the vet's lunch hour. So, if he knew that he had this situation coming in, why did he choose to take his lunch at that time? Why not wait until he saw the animal and then take his lunch? I have had their Optimum Wellness plan for 9 years and I feel betrayed. We are considering sueing this branch. Please do not take your pet to Banfield. Especially the Medford, OR branch.
 12th of May, 2007 by   Karen 0 Votes
My problems have been with the Louisville, KY

Banfield, store #1168. I would not recommend the Banfield Wellness Plan to anyone because it is a big rip-off.

Practically as soon as you walk in the door the so called “assistants” will tell you about their wonderful Wellness plan for your pet. After you have signed on the dotted line and become unhappy with the care of your pet or the uneducated staff at Banfield and want to discontinue the wellness plan, you are out of luck they have your signature and there is no escape.

Here are a few things that the Banfield staff fail to mention to you before you sign their contract.

They don’t tell you that the vet owns Banfield and she/he makes all decisions. They would like for you to believe that if you have a complaint that you can refer to the “corporate” office, what a joke.

You cannot terminate after your year is up without giving them a letter 30 days prior to your expiration date otherwise they will continue withdrawing money from your checking account and you will be stuck for another year.

Another “small” detail that they fail to mention is that there is a penalty for early terminations even if you never see the vet again you are expected to pay for the entire year.

When the vet is unavailable, guess who jumps into action without proper paperwork, you’ve got it, “The Assistants”. These little “want to be” girls will try to make suggestions regarding your pet’s health.

I’ve made appointments for my pet to see the vet and the assistants failed to call to inform me that the vet would not be available at the time I was schedule. Once I get there the “play” vets jump into action with their unprofessional suggestions and comments.

They don’t tell you that there may be extra out of pocket cost for anything concerning your pets care. They make you believe that your monthly payment will cover it all... don't let your pet get sick then the blood suckers come out.

The vet will make excuses for her/his assistant’s lack of knowledge or unqualified suggestions and errors.

I’ve taken my pet to see the vet for a problem and the next thing I know we’re talking about blood work and test after test that will run me bankrupt. Banfield people play on the senses of their clients.

They do not plan to return any money to you regardless. I suspect that you would get more respect from the “assistants” if you only took your pet there on a walk-in basis rather than being on the plan. You would play the normal office visit (which would be a lot higher) and may never go back which they can't be sure of. If you are on the plan, you continue paying, month after month so they can treat you anyway they want because they know you have no recourse. From the vet to her/his assistants, they all need personal relations training.

I highly recommend anyone who has had bad experiences and negative feedback from the vet at the Banfield you’ve gone to is to inform the Better Business Bureau. Rather than to pay and complain you must “act”.
 15th of May, 2007 by   Ron Ward 0 Votes
We recently had a similar billing problem with this Banfield pet hospital. My wife took our dog in for some well-care work and we didn't get a bill from them. A year later we still had never received a bill or a phone call from them. Suddenly, we get a letter from collections. Now we are told we must pay 30 additional dollars to pay the collections service fee or our credit will be dinged. That really bothers me. No bill was ever sent to us; we shouldn't have to pay the extra 30 bucks. They refused to pull the bill from collections so we are forced to pay up or take the credit hit. I will tell everyone I know of this experience and may hand out flyers outside their office.
 17th of May, 2007 by   GIGI 0 Votes
I hate this place dont go there if u really love ur pets!
 21st of May, 2007 by   Estelle A 0 Votes
If you're in need of a Vet, your greatest bet is to go to a place that "really", quoting Banfield, " treat their pets like a part of their family"... cause "Banfield" isn't the place.
 26th of May, 2007 by   Kerry Ann Shaw 0 Votes
Posted below is the letter I just sent Banfield. One point I forgot to mention in my letter to them and I will note now: not only did the Vet prescribe the wrong med for my pet's whipworm - -she didn't even know he was "fixed" despite having taken him in the back for a "thorough" exam"!!!!!

I have had it !! The incompetence of your team at the Banfield facility in Savannah, Georgia has caused me hours - into months of aggravation! I resent their callousness, incompetence, and general inability to handle anything!!!

I took out two "policies" on my pets last August. One pet moved to Dallas, Texas with my daughter and one stayed with me. Both my daughter and myself have experienced the above complaints. My daughter was a bit smarter than me and stopped going to Banfield in Dallas, Texas back in January because the appropriate tests were not ordered for her pet - TWICE ; once she took her pet to another vet - the appropriate tests were ordered and treatment was initiated!!! Had she stayed with Banfield - her pet would now have permanent kidney damage!!

In my case, my first very adverse experience with your Savannah, Georgia team was ~3-4 months ago. I begged and cajoled them to cancel my contract and they refused. I had bought some meds from Banfield and paid with my credit card. Turns out the girl wrote down the wrong numbers and charged the wrong amount to my credit card. ((Something like the bill was $84 but she wrote 48). Anyway, I just signed and went on my way. In fact, I went on vacation for two weeks.

When I returned, there were no less than 12 (yes - a dozen!) calls from Banfield chastising me that I owed them money! They called so often that my voice mailbox filled up and no one else could leave me a message. I missed many important calls bc of their audacity!!!! and their error!) Then, in April 2007, I had another bad experience. The vet diagnosed "whipworm" but handled everything incorrectly and even ordered the wrong heartworm medicine. I found this out by researching the Web!!!! I will compliment Dr. Trammell in getting back to me and answering my concerns.

This latest experience is just too much ! I REFUSE to have anything to do with Banfield !!!

Since Banfield does not carry the medicine appropriate for "Whipworm" I ordered it thru 1-800-PetMeds. It's been close to 2/12 weeks - - and still no med from PEtMeds. So... I call them and they state they can't get a script from Banfield. I call Banfield (Savannah, Ga) and after 23" on hold and talking to 2 different people, I get told there is a "script fee" that must be paid. I went ballistic! First, no one ever told me this!

Second, you hold up urgent medicine for a pet b/c of this fee? Outrageous! And to cap it all off: the fee applies to meds that could be bought at Banfield but the owner chooses to buy elsewhere. Why is it I had to teach the incompetent Banfield girl that the med I havebeen waiting for is NOT carried by Banfield which is why I went to PetMeds? She acted like I was an idiot and she was the gracious one and proceeded to tell me she would "waive" it this time but I should be reminded that in the future I would need to pay this fee. Well... go to HELL!!

How dare you people treat me - and my pet - this way!!!??? I cannot believe the audacity!!! They can call my home 12 times looking for money but can't call about this medicine REQUIRED for my pet's health. Again, HOW DARE YOU DO THIS TO SOMEONE???!!!

Effective immediately : CANCEL MY CONTRACTS!!! I WILL NOT PAY ANOTHER PENNY TO SUCH AN INCOMPETENT TEAM OF PEOPLE!!!

In fact, I believe you owe me for the 5 months my Dallas pet has not returned to your facilities (Jan to present) and the 2 months that I have paid for my Savannah pet.
 12th of Jun, 2007 by   Bella 0 Votes
I agree whole heartedly with all complaints listed here. Unfortunately the Banfield "Hospital"s appear not to care, otherwise results from an investigation(s) to these allegations would be posted. The only way to stop the "Banfield Hospital's" exploitation is NOT BUY INTO THEIR WELLNESS PLAN or USE THEIR VET SERVICES. ACTION speaks louder than WORDS. HURT THEM FINANCIALLY, they will be forced to lower their prices, develop a sense morality, practice honesty with their customers or close their doors. The USA is a free country, we have freedom of speech... tell everyone about their bad business practices. It's put up or shut up time!
 22nd of Jun, 2007 by   Tonia Werner 0 Votes
I just realized Banfield continued to deduct money from my account although I told them I would not return to their facility in no uncertain terms upon my last visit with them. They now refuse to stop charging me and refuse to return any monies. This is the biggest racket I have ever come across. It is soley for getting the most money out of the consumers as opposed to the best health care for the pets.

I for one am contacting my attorney to address the issue with them.
 26th of Jun, 2007 by   Connie Yamamoto 0 Votes
I also had a terrible experience with Banfield Pet Hospital. I took my 10 month old brittany spaniel in to get spayed. The Vet opened up my dog to do the procedure and then immediately had to stop the spay procedure because the Vet determine my dog was pregnant. I was charged $308.50 for the procedure that didn't happen, and to top it off the pregnancy test came back negative and then I had to bring her back to get x-ray done to see what was going on. No charge for the x-ray and my dog was NOT pregnant, and now if I wanted them to do the spay procedure, they will charge me again. I will NEVER recommend them to anyone. This happen in San Leandro, CA Hospital #0055. I also make a complaint to the corporate office of Banfield with no result.
 3rd of Jul, 2007 by   Christopher 0 Votes
I have been a team member with Banfield for over 7 years and have found that being such a large practice you are bound to be seen as large and uncaring. However, I will tell you that I have worked with many very caring and devoted individuals for the act of being an advacate for the pets. You may think that being a pet advocate is what a pet owner would want, but that is so far from the truth. Most pet owners feel that we must give away services to care and that being a fair organization that charges for our services so we can offer the best and consistent care to all is wrong. I see so many people that get clouded by cost and truly do not do what is best for their pets and then bring in their pets in bad condition and beyond repair for the price they want to pay if a price can even offer the proper care since some pets arrive to us in so disrepair that all we can do is try with all our hearts to save them. I see neglect in over 50% of all the patients I see and educating owners is the best we can do to hope they do what is right and when they do not like the truth they turn on us like many of the clients listed on this website. Think about what you can do... think of your responsibilities to your pet, your family, and to yourself and stop the tradition of neglect that we see in this field of caring for animals. It gets hard to be treated with such disrespect from people who neglect their pets through ignorance.
 11th of Jul, 2007 by   Phyllis Glandt 0 Votes
I have been totally ripped off by Banfield at least I am fortunate not to have been coerced into the wellness plan. However they do try to get you in for exams and vaccine you don't need. My dog was given a rabies shot today which should be good for three years they told it is good only for one year. He was over due for his shot according to the receptionist. It is true his last shot was in June 15, 2004. I took him into a Banfield clinic in Colorado. I was told it was a federal mandated law that all dogs late for their rabies shot can only be vaccinated for one year. This is not true. Colorado doesn't require a one year rabies after the first rabies shot. From then on, they are to vaccinated every three years. Also I am very angry because it is same vaccine as the three year vaccine. This is a total waste of my hard earned money and not to mention my time and not good for my dog.

I do not want my dog to receive unnecessary vaccines.
 21st of Jul, 2007 by   Kait H 0 Votes
After reading hundreds of complaints about Banfield, I decided NOT to go to work for them as a Veterinary Technician.

A little advice to those who have been scammed by their wellness plan. The odds are good that there are more people in your area who have also been scammed. The two things an organization like Banfield would probably fear are publicity and a class action lawsuit.
 26th of Jul, 2007 by   Michael R. 0 Votes
All staff of the Banfield in Louisville, KY #1186, including the vet, is insensitive, cold and callous to pets and their owners. The incompetence of the staff and vet.

Banfield is clearly among the top, if not the top rip off pet care facility of all times. They go from poor pet care, price gouging, to deceitfulness. I doubt there would be a Banfield Hospital’s without their wellness plan, this keeps their doors open. Think you’re getting a good deal, that you can take your pet for immediate, good health care because of being in a wellness plan, then think again. The Banfield Wellness Plan is designed to deceive. Think of the words, “WELLNESS PLAN”. One think of a health care plan that promote keeping pets well and as a member you get services tied to the plan that keeps your pet well. Most pet owners take their pet to the vet once, maybe twice a year…..so what happens to the monthly fee deducted from your checking account. In truth, it’s a gift, free money, if you will, the Banfield Hospital’s does very little or nothing most of year for your pet. Pet owners do not mind paying for medicine if needed, but don’t expect to pay for unnecessary tests. The so called “Banfield Hospital “discount” is not a discount at all. The so called “discount” is what customers should actually pay since they are paying them monthly and their actual charge should be written off as a discount.

Notice that the vet never ring up charges, this to prevent from being sited as a thief, she/he prefers that their staff be criticized. My last words are BANFIELD HOSPITAL’S ARE RIP OFF’S, THEY ARE INCOMPETENT, and BOTH STAFF AND THE VET.
 6th of Aug, 2007 by   Lesli Deakins 0 Votes
Banfield is a rip off... I am beginning the stages to file a civil complaint/law suit against this company. In order to be considered, you must have dates and costs on paper of all visits for your pet. If you have a second opinion from another vet that will be very beneficial. Please state only facts in your email. I understand your pet is your family and there are emotions involved, however in order to get an attorney and file complaints, we need the facts only!

If you are not complaining against banfield or do not have records, please refrain from sending emails to this account. All negative or threatening emails will be tracked and prosecuted to the fullest extent the law will allow.

This is for information purposes only: in your email, please include the following: state all facts, dates and names and the store number, address, facility ID etc. If you have a timeline of all your contact with the Banfield facility, that will help also. If you have all your vet bills, medical records etc, please state that you do and provide your contact information. Please give me 72 hours to give a confirmation email and atleast 7-10 days to contact you! I will email updates at least once a month on the progress of our complaint. If anyone knows of a lawsuit already in progress please provide some information!

Too many animals have died or become sick in the care of Banfield. It's time something is done about it!
 6th of Aug, 2007 by   Sarah Clevenger 0 Votes
This morning, I took my kitten in for surgery (neutering & declawing). While filling out paperwork, I overheard a staff member yelling at barking dogs. She actually said "shut up" in a very loud, harsh tone. When I asked the receptionist who the person was she said the Director of PetNursing. I asked to speak to the director. I told her her behavior was totally unacceptable to she said "if you had to listen to them bark all day, you would do the same thing." I called the corporate office and they were less than empathetic. Any suggestions?

Banfield Hospital
Duluth, GA

Director of PetNursing: Laura Johnston
Don't go there... EVER!
 10th of Aug, 2007 by   Robin M 0 Votes
I have had our 3 dogs on Banfields Wellness Plan for 9 years and was disgusted to be told that after one of my dogs had to be put down that I still have to pay for the rest of the years premiums on her. First of all my dog had been sick for a while. I had regularly brought her back when they told me to, thinking that they were doing everything they could for her. I was told by another vet I took her to for a second opinion that they aren't sure what is wrong but that there are other tests that should be done that Banfield didn't do and that she is very sick. I feel that Banfield should have told me right away about the other tests even if they don't run those tests. I also think that once your dog is no longer living that there should allow you to opt out of that plan. We will be removing our other 2 dogs from the plan just as soon as the contract expires. I hope this helps others realize how heartless they are and makes them think twice before signing up there dogs or cats.

Banfield Pet Hospital Clovis, Ca

DON'T LET YOUR DOG OR CAT GO THERE.
 19th of Aug, 2007 by   Shannon 0 Votes
My intention here is to help other people avoid the mistake I made yesterday in visiting a Banfield location in Buford, GA. I moved two months ago and needed to bring my dog to a vet primarily to have the incontinence medication she has been on re-prescribed. This is what happened:

Despite having current bloodwork for the dog from another state, Banfield insisted that they could not prescribe any meds for my dog without doing their own bloodwork. It was a state law, they said. At first, this sounded reasonable to me. I wouldn't want a location prescribing to my dog just because I asked them to, so I made an appointment to bring her in for what I expected to be a basic exam and blood work.

I was there with my pet for 2 1/2 hours yesterday. Not ony did they order up bloodwork I have never seen, but they also took her out of the room to draw her blood. This was not suspicious to me until just a little while ago, when I realized that - unlike every other time she has ever had blood drawn - she was not licking her leg at the sight of the venipuncture. I'm convinced that they did not draw blood on her at all, but have no proof because they took her out of the room, and came back with a host of 'results' to tell me about.

In addition to this, every time they returned to the office, to see me, the bill was steadily increasing, to the point that I felt that all I could do was order their wellness plan - what a joke, wellness. HUGE mistake. I'm now stuck with this plan for a year and will never bring my dog back there again. They ended my visit telling me there is something wrong with my healthy, normal behaving dog's liver, and that she needs an ultrasound and further testing. Mind you, she is ten. If I can avoid having her aneshtesized unnecessarily and put through any extra trauma, that's all I want to do. I will be going to another vet and consulting my old vet before I do one more thing to treat my dog. And I will never bring her near a Banfield location again. I'd treat her at home myself first with nothing but my love.

I have read some horror stories on line today about people that have actually lost their pets to these hairless, manipulative vultures who prey on the sympathies of pet lovers. Please, I implore anyone who is reading this not to use these people. I'm one of the lucky ones, all I'm losing is a relatively small amount of money to these clowns. I feel so sorry for those who have written and lost pets because of these demons.

Please, don't use these people.

Lawrenceville, GA

Online Shoppers Warned About '12 Scams of Christmas'

Latest Groups