logo

Signet Financial Group
Auto Warranty
3. (44 mins ago)
vacation rental partners
vacation rental partners marketing reviews scam
4. (49 mins ago)
dangerouslyeasyesl.com
The owner started to steal from me
5. (52 mins ago)

Bamboo Flooring

Posted:    Rick

Bad service

Bamboo Flooring
DO NOT BUY - I purchased this product from Sam's Club about 1 month ago and installed them exactly as instructed. The floors look like they been in the home for years. They scratch extremely easily and dent - yes, dent. I dropped a quarter on the floor and it left a significant dent. We have a dog, and he has scratched the floors so badly, even with manicured nails, we will have to replace before selling. I can understand and live with wear and tear, but this is unacceptable. Also and most importantly, the floors wil separate at the seams, even if you let them achieve room temperature as recommended.
Comments United States Flooring Installation
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Jan, 2009 by   patrick 0 Votes
We had the exact problem with J.Sonic Golden Select bamboo flooring from Sams. We had it professionally installed by the very experienced professional who installed all of the flooring in a new 35 unit condo developement. With a month,
our floors separated, dented and buckled. Now the company will not reinburse us saying "our floor has too much slope".
Slope does not cause massive shrinkage. Our installer says the shrinkage is caused by the flooring. I know he's right and I'm glad to see someone else post their grievance. Thank you.
 4th of Feb, 2009 by   Juan 0 Votes
I agree, we had the same problem with the same flooring from Sam's Club. My floor buckled like crazy even though we had left the appropriate spacing where the floors meet the walls. My brother in law also installed the same floor about the same time and his is doing pulling apart. We are trying to get refunded, but I think it will take a small calims fileing.
 18th of Feb, 2009 by   brightbamboo 0 Votes
Because the floor was not dried well, the mositure content of this floor must be more than 12% (I guess there are about 16%-20% in your floor), that is the reason of shrikage and deglued, as well as it will low the hardness of bamboo and easy to make scratches on it. The drying step is the most important and costly step in bamboo floor production, while the mositure content of the floor is used to be hardly learnt by clients. (brightbamboo)
 9th of Mar, 2009 by   sjgaddis 0 Votes
Was your experience with the uniclick floating floor from Sam's?
 14th of Mar, 2009 by   david rowe 0 Votes
I hate to be negative to anyone doing home improvement projects, especially in this economy, but please check out domestic hardwoods. There are a lot of mills in your area that get their product from managed forests.

Bamboo has many non-green attributes that big business does not want the consumer to know: Bamboo has become so popular that the Chinese have been cutting down forests for bamboo plantations. Often, the bamboo harvested has not reached recommended maturity. Bamboo floorboards and other bamboo products are a lamination of many different pieces. The process for bonding these pieces together often involves formaldehyde. The floor will slowly off gas in your house for years to come (think of FEMA Katrina trailers). Bamboo floors are extremely difficult to refinish, usually resulting in a tear out and replacement after a relatively short life (versus oak, maple etc. which can be refinished multiple times). Making this product requires a lot of energy that is produced by dirty coal powered plants. Shipping bamboo uses a lot of foreign oil. Chinese factories are pumping out millions of board feet on poorly maintained and calibrated milling equipment (an importer from San Francisco called me to consult on a local remodel, it took three shipments to get satisfactory product—that means two floors in a landfill or pawned off on unsuspecting customers). The Chinese have a terrible human rights record. Other countries do produce bamboo, but many if not all of these issues are still relevant. (I hope I don’t sound like a Chinese basher. Very nice people with a great culture and history, we enable the Chinese government while criticizing it.)

This is your home and your decision. Bamboo does have good attributes. I just want you to know the ones that are not disclosed to the consumer. Check out the domestic options. It’s good for the environment, the economy and your mental and physical health.

Hope I didn’t ruin your Saturday,
 28th of Mar, 2009 by   let'sbereasonable 0 Votes
Sam's and Costco and Lowe's and Home Depot and Lumber Liquidators etc. have all been buying these cheap products and selling you for less. The problem is they don't tell you that you're buying some lousy crap for less. Not all bamboo is the same, as you all painfully found out. It only looked great in the check out line.
 9th of Oct, 2009 by   Richard Bean +1 Votes
After reading comments from David Rowe, I had to add my own comments. It looks like you likely are involved with the oak and maple industry, and don't have a clue what you are talking about. Apparently the only way to sell oak and maple flooring, is to spread lies and hatred about other products and countries. While there are bad seeds in every batch (including America), to make these moronic statements of bamboo and Chinese manufacturers just accentuates your stupidity.

I purchased the bamboo at Costco for my home after extensive research, and I can guarantee that just because the flooring was about the same price as "cheap" bamboo, their product was anything but cheap. In fact, I found in my research that the Costco bamboo quality was as good or better than those who charge significantly more.

As a hardwood flooring installer for nearly 40 years, it appears that many of the problems listed above have more to do with improper installation than the quality of the product (I'm not saying these are good products). Instead of bashing bamboo and China, you might start looking for more qualified installers!
 13th of Jan, 2010 by   Lance A Gonzales 0 Votes
We are yet another victim of Golden Select Click Bamboo. Me and My girlfriend did 3 bedrooms, licing room and hallway. I spent 400+ dollars on floor leveler, floated the entire sections and we have very notieable gaps in our floor. This product really sucks and we saved for 4 months to purchase this from Sams. Please to anyone considering this product, DO NOT PURCHASE!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT. Anyone had any luck contacting the manufacture??
 13th of Jan, 2010 by   Tracy Staples 0 Votes
This is all great information and I agree with 99 percent of it as I have been a victim as well. I am a single parent and have saved for months to be able to afford. Has anyone made Sams accountable and asked for reimbursement from the manufacturer? Does anyone have any proof that this material has formaldehyde in it? If so, I would say we have a law suit on our hands. I am going to approach Sams for a full refund including my time, labor, and materials. I will post my response at the beginning of next week for anyone interested.
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   Disappointed Developer 0 Votes
We recently completed a year-long renovation and addition to our home, which included installing 3000SF of engineered bamboo flooring, costing about $10/SF. We did extensive research and purchased our flooring from a well established flooring vendor. Our flooring was manufactured in the United States by a leading-edge, well-established domestic company using six year old plus bamboo materials. The installation was done per manufacturers specifications by an installation company that has been in business for over forty years. As noted, this flooring was part of a major renovation program, which included removing all of the floor joists and subflooring throughout the house and installing new pressure treated joists and subflooring structural materials covered with new Advantech subflooring. All subflooring materials were installed using high grade adhesive and screwing the Advantech to the joists. (I am a semi-retired engineer, developer and construction project manager and was on-site throughout the renovation project and took a special interest in all of the flooring work.) We scheduled the flooring installation at the end of the overall project and then covered the flooring with a heavy grade contractors paper and foamcore product to minimize the impact of foot traffic as the various subcontractors worked their way out of our house. We have placed floor protection "cups" under the load bearing points of all of our furniture, have walk-off mats at all doorways, mats throughout our kitchen, and other means to protect the flooring in high impact areas throughout the house. All of this work was completed and we opened our house for a family dinner during Thanksgiving week of 2009. At the conclusion of Thanksgiving weekend, with only 7 people in the house, our flooring looked like it had been down for years. We contacted our supplier who prepared a claim request to the vendor, who ordered an inspection by an independent inspector. In turn, the inspector prepared his report stating that the problems were not with the flooring product and that the condition of the flooring was normal wear and tear. The condition of the floor after the first three weeks included excessive scratching to the surface layer; scratches that broke through the surface layer and went into the actual bamboo; cracking along the length of the boards resulting in splinters; dents anywhere on the floor where something had dropped (we're not talking pots and pans, but rather a piece of silverware, etc.); indentions from furniture even though there were protective cups to disperse the load; etc. And all of this occurred in a home with two semi-retired adults; no children in residence; two grandchildren one or two days a week; and, two small dogs with well-clipped toenails, etc. All of this product deterioration doesn't include the frustration from water spots, footprints, etc. from anything that come into contact with the floor. Our flooring has now been down about 10 weeks and it looks like it has been down 20 years. Our supplier has been trying for two months to get the manufacturers rep to visit our house and inspect the situation, all to no avail. They have also left numerous messages with the cucstomer service department at the manufacturer and have yet to receive a return call. SO, what do we have to show for all of our efforts -- beautiful walls, woodwork and trim; very tasteful paint colors; creative lighting and built-in furniture; new furniture, and many other parts of our retirement dream home --- all sitting on flooring that looks like it was removed from a house just before the house was hit with a wrecking ball and demolition bulldozer. As the saying goes --- "Let the buyer beware" ----- and --- "Forget about customer service after the sale is made"
 26th of Aug, 2010 by   KayBay +1 Votes
My experience w/ bamboo flooring is extremely positive; I did a whole lot of homework beforehand. #1 rule-especially w/bamboo: $3-$4 sf products are horrible-meaning high toxic emissions, very poor durabilty and zero quality. These are cheap bamboo products usually sold only at the big box stores without any manufacturing controls and no environmental integrity. You want to look for a LEEDS or GreenGuard certified manufacturer (there are many) to avoid the significant product and glue etc. emissions-worse than laminates. Also-a minimum of 1/2" core product -this will ensure that the installed flooring is as hard or harder than oak. A natural color bamboo is harder than a darker aka carbonized floor. Finally-expect to pay between $7-$9 sf; this is the range for bamboo that is manufactured w/full growth bamboo, engineered properly, and has the density so wear pattern, denting, etc. is not an issue.
I am sorry that this info wasn't available to all of you; I had to do a couple of months of research before I finally purchased a wonderful product several years ago. We have pets, teenagers, etc and nothing wears this floor down.
 31st of Dec, 2010 by   Jon Hess 0 Votes
Awww Man...If only I had read these reviews before I spent 1500 on this crap flooring. I purchased Golden Select Click Solid Bamboo Flooring 6 weeks ago and had it professionally installed (another 1500) and now I have 4 gaps so far that are getting bigger by the day. I have tried to call the manufacturer but no luck getting hold of an actual person. Is there anyone out there that has had this problem fixed? Is it fixable? This gaps are so noticeable that everytime I come into the house or my bedroom it is staring me in the face and I get mad all over again. What can I do as a consumer who saved like hell to have hard flooring put in my house to only 4 weeks later find that this dream of mine is now literally coming apart? Please if anyone can assist me in advice email me jonhess911@gmail.com
 9th of Jan, 2011 by   Scott C F 0 Votes
We purchased bamboo flooring from Sams just over one year ago. So far, we have had the opposite experience. Our floor has been attractive and durable. We placed it in a high traffic area and we have a medium sized, very active dog. I have noticed a couple of small scratches, but otherwise, the floor seems great. The only problem I have is that there is a small section that seems to be floating. It clicks everytime I walk across it. I attributed that to the installer.
 5th of Apr, 2011 by   Vayacuadro 0 Votes
I got some floors from Costco, and my strong suggestion is not to buy them. What a crap, and the customer service is the same. 2 months so far and no answer. More than $1000 dollars to the garbage. No more with JSonic. Please be aware of what a huge scam.
 19th of Apr, 2011 by   BI BI BO BANDY 0 Votes
Let me just ask you all one question and not to be negative towards your personal experience of the bamboo floors.

When you purchase anything : Do you go for the best possible price? Sure you do and this is the problem.

Every product or company has a good, better, best, as we all know.
Bamboo is also rated; (just as Hardwoods are):
Some having inferior to better wood from different parts of the tree which creates different hardness etc.
Some having 2 coats of polyuretane others 5. There again Polyurethane has different degrees of hardness and quality.
So folks I am sure you get my point and I hate to say you get what you pay for.

I own a construction management company in Arizona. Over the last 25 years I have picked out the best quality companies to deal with
so I could get the best quality and service afterwards. Yes I paid a little more for this; but is it worth the aggavation you had to go through to save the difference. I say know because I used to buy just like that.

Now if you would like to browse my website to see what I am talking about; feel free to go in and look. You will find all American based companies with the highest standards of quality. There is know pricing on my website and I am not trying to sell you a thing.
I merely saw your complaints as I myself was looking up a company to use for Bamboo on my website and I hope I honestly answered your Questions. If not, I apologize for wasting your time. Just in case I did! My website: www.myadcom.com. My company is ADCOM Enterprises LLC. or go to my contact page and send me an email with any questions you might have.
Sincerely Andy
 27th of Apr, 2011 by   Laura lee dietz 0 Votes
Have Strand bamboo flooring less then a year old!!! Product from Longhua bamboo!! I am in Montana!! Have many house plants to keep up the humity-The floors are shrinking!! Get me some information on this company!! they are to come in and work on them--But will the floors keep shrinking for years to come---should I have them take then OUT!!Got the Flooring from Montana flooring Liquidators--Billings Montana!~!Ps Does the company Stand Behind there Product??
 24th of Apr, 2012 by   deeaa 0 Votes
Yup, these are terrible floors. We managed to put a long rounded looking dent in ourson day 1 of installation after trying to gently slide the fridge back in place. This happened despite the fact that the fridge was on a big, thick blanket to make sliding it into place easier. The edges also marked up and splinted off incredibly easy during installation. Probably the worst part about these floors is the super crappy finish. Ours are a dark stain and they show every foot print, smudge, water marks...just about anything that comes in contact with them. I clean them with the recommended cleaning solutions and they will be marked up with prints before I even finish mopping. It doesn't even need to be bare feet. Just a warm sock foot. At first I blamed it on the fact that we had gone with a darker finish but my sister in law had dark floors of another brand installed and they DO NOT do this. I would never recommend these floors. We are now looking at ripping them out and starting over. Think we'll go with the same floors my sister in law installed cause they are holding up great. Can't believe we have to just "flush" the $2k we spent on this crap and incure the additional expense of new floors, not to mention having to deal with the installation process again. Not easy with three little boys under 6! Wow, i' so mad!!! DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY ON THESE

Purchased from Cost co in Ottawa, Canada. Floors are less then a year old.
 4th of Jul, 2012 by   Neurotyper +1 Votes
I too have dark bamboo flooring and the smudges are awful. I have used everything under the sun to clean them and within 10 minutes they are smudged again. They look good right when you mop them but it doesn't last. I have not used any oily soaps or anything not made for hardwood on them either. I too blamed it on the color until I read your post. What kind of flooring did your sister in law use? We paid a FORTUNE for our floors throughout the main floor of our house. We did not purchase them from Costco or Sam's. Thanks.
 26th of Aug, 2012 by   DLich +1 Votes
I have never posted a complaint on-line but am so frustrated with our Costco Bamboo floors from “Wellmade / Golden Arowana” that I would strongly discourage anyone from buying this product. Ours has been in for approximately 3 years and looks deplorable. We have a dog and she is responsible for a minor portion of the deterioration but from the very beginning the dings, dents and scratches started showing and have grown exponentially, resulting in a floor that looks awful. Add to that the high traffic areas where the polyurethane has not worn well and we now have a floor that needs to be completely ripped out. I’ll keep complaining to Costco but doubt anything will come of it. We’ll do our homework in detail next time.
 17th of Feb, 2013 by   clarkds 0 Votes
We just had 4 rooms and a hall, bath and laundry room done. Within 3 months we got two gaps and separations. 5 months later more were showing up. Talking to professional floor installers we were asked if the gaps were at door jams and they are. It is important to leave 5/16" gap between the flooring and the baseboard and wall around the perimeter so that the floor can expand. See "How to Install a Floating Floor" http://.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/print/0..1055047.00.html In some places you can't even slip a card under the baseboard. We are in the middle of having this resolved with our installer. We love the floor and it doesn't chip or dent. I wonder if that would have prevented the rest of you from the problems. Many people are loving their bamboo floors and Costco is still selling it. I don't think they don't keep inferior products on their shelves.

Positive & Negative Sides of Customer Service