logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
GroutRevive.com
No info about the order and impossible to reach the seller
2. (13 mins ago)
The Honest Company
Continuing to autobill after multiple cancellations
3. (23 mins ago)

AutoTrader.com

Posted: 2011-02-16 by    beckerdee

fraud/scam

autotrader.com
I too was a victim of a scam on autotrader. Found a vehicle for appoximately 9, 000 sent money to seller, never received vehicle. However a week before I sent the money I contacted Auto trader because I could not reach the seller via the email address. They inturn took the ad off their publication but not off the website eight days later I informed them this ad was a scam and requested my money back. Their attorney sent me a long letter explaining why ATC was not responsible. I said if you would have taken the ad off the internet when you took it out of your publication I may not have been victimized. Also they published day after the scam that the ad was removed by "sellers request". I believe if they would have put on their ad ad was removed by ATC this would have allerted the public to a potential problem. There is no telling how many others got vitimized through this ad. I called DA, attorney general, congressman, senator, BBB IC3 and given President Obama nothing will be done because it does not meet any criteria of $150, 000 in damages. No attorney will take this because there is not enough money in this. I hope we can bind together and start a class action lawsuit against AutoTrader.Com.
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Feb, 2011 by   ulfwolf 0 Votes
When it comes to battling AutoTrader.com scams, well, most online scams, I would just like to add that the best way I know to guard against being ripped off by online sales or auctions, Penny, Craigslist and eBay included—and whether seller or buyer—is to use a bona fide online escrow company. This is especially true for pricier items like antiques, jewelry and autos. Yes, it does add some cost, but it takes the uncertainty out of the transaction, and that is usually a small price to pay for peace of mind.

For my money, the best bona fide online escrow (and there seems to be ten or twenty fraudulent escrow sites for every bona fide one) is Escrow.com (http://escrow.com). In fact, that is the only site that eBay recommends, and is the only online escrow company that is licensed to provide escrow services all across the United States.

PS. You can find more information about battling online scams and frauds at Online Escrow at Wordpress.com (http://onlineescrow.wordpress.com/)
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   joejy 0 Votes
I checked on autotrader and this is what they say - http://www.autotrader.com/research/shared/article_popup.jsp?article_id=12124

How to Save Even if Missed Cash for Appliance Clunkers