logo

tyhermenlisahair
tyhermenlisahair
2. (14 mins ago)
Jdshoes Shopping
Seller didn’t communicate and no info about order
3. (16 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Terrible experience

Author House
authorhouse.com
Got my book 'published with Author House'. FINALLY!?? Thought and asked several times was $799 going to be my final price, with out any printed books of course (those are priced according # in one production run). I was told 'yes, thats all it takes for the production). Got just hammered by another sales/marketing man, Convinced me, that I had to have this, that, and these promotional items. Newspaper adds, etc... I bought in to way more than what I bargained for. For the almost 6, 000 my 'marketing rep said it was a GREAT plan'. I sold more books self-promoting and doing my OWN book signs, than I did on the 6, 000 'investment'.

I wont even start about the pains of working with their publishing consultants, or their production team?? ehhh... Nightmare and they stuck me with more production charges(on a finished script, already professionally edited...

Nickel and dime you to death, thats all they do. Book quality was OK; however, follow up and ordering books, is still a f'n pain. Was going to do book two with them, but even with the 'discount' the headaches alone drove me to another publisher(self). Be careful out there as well in the Self Pub arena, Author Solutions(the parent company to Author House), owns a great deal of the industry. From word of mouth its just the same repackaged junk.

Comments United States Books
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Jul, 2009 by   m c 0 Votes
ive had a terrible experience with AH too - completely shattered my dream.
they made many calls when trying to sign me but theyre thin on ground when wanting a reply
they also changed their mind on my promotional free-bees and said they had never offered me any (yet it was the thing that clinched the deal for me)
im just not sure how i can get free from them as their cancellation jargon loses me-so guess im stuck

mc
england
 14th of Jul, 2009 by   m c 0 Votes
hopefully learn from the experience eh
mc
 24th of Sep, 2009 by   Tony Liddicoat 0 Votes
To mc,
Just cancel your contract. You retain all the rights of your book. Read my complaint about them. It is amazing that they are allowed to stay in business.
Tell all those that you can by as many means that you can. I wish I knew or had prior warning about them.
Good Luck
 16th of Dec, 2009 by   Justin90069 0 Votes
Author House was the worst experience based on the best decision I have ever made. They lied about their services, commitment and even their pricing...

I do not recommend them and I guarantee that there will be lawsuits and jail time involved for senior management.
 17th of Dec, 2009 by   spanishbrettman 0 Votes
Exactly the same thing for me - they promised me 78% of the sale price, but when it came to it I recieved about 10%. I know that I have sold at least 15 books but they claim only 3 sales. No way of confirming with Amazon, Barnes & Noble etc.

Lock em up!
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   Toby20 0 Votes
How did they force you to spend $6000? Did he hold a gun to your head?
 19th of Feb, 2010 by   TBRITT2010 -1 Votes
These complaints are so bogus. YOU the author set/s a budget. AuthorHouse does not force you to buy their editing or marketing products. Additionally, AuthorHouse and the other POD (Publish On Demand) are not the traditional book publishers as Random House or Parragon or A Dell Book. Authour House and other like them save you the time and trouble of asking those other book companies to publish your book and they snub you. When you use AuthorHouse you can get your book on the shelves alot sooner.

Selling the book is up to YOU! They did my book in 2005. I sold (some) books. But me being a PR and Marketing guru, I knew I had to sell my own product. I had a budget and I didn't go any further. I hired a Publicist (for cheap) out of Atlanta and she helped a little. Then I hired my daugher as my Publicist. She got me some interviews. I had book signing, (I scheduled myself), Internet interviews, a newspaper article on me and my book and a major black magazine wrote a story.

So don't blame AuthorHouse. If you want to sell books and sell them POD then you have major work to do. And I would do my next book with them. Which I plan to do. Then I take the PDF of my manuscripts and have a reasonably priced printer make me more copies. You have the rights to the book. You can do that too. Have them make you one copy (with edits always) and you can make more copies somewhere's else. It still adds up to the same. YOU HAVE TO DO THE SELLING, MARKETING, AND PR WORK OR HIRE A PUBLICIST TO DO IT FOR YOU. IF THE BOOK IS WORTH READING IT'LL SELL.

Thx.

P.S. I did my own book cover and back to save money and spent that money on something else. Like editing services and proofreading.
 17th of Mar, 2010 by   SmarterThanYou 0 Votes
I beg to disagree with you SPANISHBRETTMAN. Didn't you read it in their website? They offer royalties of 5% - 50%. If that's what your Publishing Consultant told you then you should have complained to them directly about that person.

I agree with TBRITT2010. AuthorHouse only publishes your books, not sell them. If you want your book marketed, they will help you, but they won't do everything for you. Did they tell you that they will do all the work for you? They said that you set YOUR OWN self-publishing goals and they'll HELP you reach them, not ACHIEVE it for you. DUH? That's why they call it self-publishing.
 6th of Dec, 2010 by   VINNY BATYR 0 Votes
ONE THING IS A FACT. RECENTLY A FRIENDS BOOK WAS RELEASED BY AUTHORHOUSE IN JULY 2010.
I COULD SEE WHY MANY NEED OUTFITS LIKE AUTHORHOUSE TO GET THEIR BOOKS SELF PUBLISHED.
BUT PAYING WHATEVER AMOUNT OF MONEY, AND GETTING A BOOK FULL OF MISSPELLED WORDS, FROM BEGINNING TO END IS QUITE EMBARRASSING. AS A READER, YOU SAY TO YOURSELF, WHO WANTS TO READ THIS? WITH OVER 500 PAGES TO READ, YOU TEND TO LOOSE INTEREST WITH CHRONIC MISTAKES.
EVEN IF THE STORY MAY BE OF INTEREST, IT BECOMES ANNOYING, OR CAN YOU IMAGINE A EXECUTIVE FROM A REPUTABLE MOVIE COMPANY PAYING ATTENTION TO THE NEW BOOK AT ALL? DOES AUTHORHOUSE HIRE
3RD. AND 4TH GRADERS TO WRITE THE BOOK, TO HELP GET IT PUBLISHED? NO PROOF READING BEFORE IT HITS THE PRESS? HOW MUCH LONGER CAN THEY STAY IN BUSINESS LIKE THIS?
 29th of Dec, 2010 by   Taknadvntgof 0 Votes
BEWARE!!! Our Rep turned into a Stalker!
His professional behavior is totally unacceptable!!!
He's decided to pursue my girlfriend on a personal/sexual level.
It's starting to become SEXUAL HARASSAMENT, and there's even a possible ASSULT CHARGE we may file from a so called "Business Dinner" that resulted in an unwanted/forced kiss. He is showing total disrespect for both her and I and she is completely devistated now with the thought her book my not become published without giving into this guy. That's EXTORTION!! We're contacting the company's president tomorrow and filing a formal complaint against him. Depends on how that goes, I may be back to slam this guy's name all over the internet and run him through the mud. Because that's what he deserves at this point, even after told to back off, he still persist...
 3rd of Feb, 2011 by   watcher in the woods 0 Votes
Author Solutions, once AuthorHouse, and First Books, treats their sales and marketing staff horribly and schemes monthly to steal their hard earned pay by constantly changing quotas and "rules". Many commissioned sales persons receive NO commission for several months of the year due to this unfair and outrageous practice. Top sales persons are docked high percentages of their hardearned pay if staff decides they didn't make enough cold calls that week: TOP SALES employees. Employees routinely are required to work weekends and evenings, WITHOUT COMPENSATION, to meet quotas. The company is being sued by many employees, class action, because of unfair compensation practices. Leads have been cut back from thousands to hundreds, mostly no good leads. Cancellations by authors, for personal reasons or even due to mistakes of ANY DEPARTMENT are deducted from sales persons' wages, even YEARS LATER, without notice. Good leads are given to management or sent to associates in other countries. Commissioned sales persons are required to attend numerous weekly meetings, resulting in their having to work unpaid overtime to compensate, and have their pay docked for low call time. Loyalty and good ideas are not rewarded, even when they make the company millions of dollars. Promotions are not based on merit. Management does not take any responsibility for across-the-board drops in earnings, nor are managers even willing to discuss it from an employee point of view. Managers don't routinely stand up for the employees under them, most are "yes-men or women". Many commissioned sales persons and marketers lost up to one third of their income in the past year, due to unfair company practices. Morale is at an all time low. This company that started out well, now seeks to acquire more and more publishing companies, and give them what was once the bread and butter of AuthorHouse employees; in order to pad the books so they can sell out as well, a well known fact. Many loyal longterm employees are no longer making even a reasonable living income. And their health insurance is outrageously high and rarely pays claims.
 30th of Oct, 2011 by   nomoreauthorhouse 0 Votes
These people are not bogus Authour House is terrible, I had the worst experimence with this company in getting a children book did up and, i know the royalty was surpose to be more than a dollar and something, however that's whatwas told to me . Their print price is five dollars and something to print each book come on i have seen books in the store that was done better and cost way less they are not out to help you at all they are robbers without the gun and mask. The book is surpose to be on google they took it off and theres only amazon and its so high. i will not ever recommend these people to noone. I have wrote the bbb and ftc, and i am going to write the white house. I paid a 1.000 dollars for this service like a fool and they want me to pay shipping on free books. I want to get this book redid by a company that is ethical and care.
 14th of Jun, 2012 by   EmilySuess 0 Votes
I interviews authors who've had trouble with the companies owned by Author Solutions on my blog Suess's Pieces. If you're interested in sharing some more details, I'd like to tell your story so that other writers will know to steer clear of these scammers.
Emily Suess
blog.emilysuess.com

31st of Oct, 2012 by   Pat Dalton-Graham 0 Votes
After reading these complaints it's clear to me that we all are suffering the same issues. One other issue they promised was to give me my age in free books. Then after printing they reneged and said they didn't say that. I argued over and over that they most definitely did. I had it in my notes. They refused to give me a written contract even after my lawyer talked to them. Not their practice. I finally did get the total amount of free books because my lawyer went to the top. They refused to give advice like what color should I use for the book's cover? They can't even tell me what's the best color to attract buyers. We went around and around on this one. I wanted advice to sell my books. But oh no, can't do that. That's must be my decision alone. Same with the pricing of the books. Can'thelp me with that either. Geez, what are they there for but to give problems?
 20th of May, 2013 by   Michella 0 Votes
I published my book, Flat Pack Kids, over three years ago.
I spent a £1000 and saw little for it. And to this day, I have never received a royalty cheque (for sold copies accounted for). This company has caused me so much heartache and great financial loss, including bills for the hundreds of call I have had to make. Sometimes it has taken me a couple of months to receive news/correspondence about my concern. I cancelled my book with them in February, but one can still order it from various sites...? So who is printing it and who is getting the money?
I would advise anybody to not sign with them and to warn other authors about this company.
 2nd of Jul, 2014 by   R.thomas1 0 Votes
Also watch out for the extend of the license you give to AuthorHouse because your novel might get distributed in e-book without your approval,

Selling Your Phone For An Upgrade