logo

Posted:    Daniel Murphy

Bait and Switch

AT&T
Mission Viejo, California
AT&T recently came to my door, and offered to beat Cox’s prices, with full HD, all the movie channels, and a phone, for the same price as Cox, but I would also get a phone.

Then they arrived to install — and everything was wrong. They had my contact phone wrong, so they could not call me in advance.

They had my order wrong — so it did not include any HD. And they had the price wrong, so it was going to cost me more — for less.

The install guy seemed to have the job of being the honest one, as he went over my order and clarified all the important points. He obviously had been down this road.

It seemed very routine that he got me on the phone with customer service, who kept trying to fix the problem, with higher prices for the same services I already had.

So, I threw them out of my house. The install tech was relieved that he didn’t have to install another one — just to uninstall once the customer figured out it was a bait and switch — which is exactly what this was.

The sales guy who came a couple weeks ago said how great my HD signal would be (as he checked the box for no HD) and all for the same low price as my HD with Cox — and I would get a phone.

I got the feeling from the tech, that this was standard. He was supposed to install it — and then I would have to buy more stuff to get the HD I was originally expecting.

So, be wary of AT&T. I never felt so good cancelling an order. And I will continue to avoid AT&T.
Comments United States Satellite & Cable TV
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Sep, 2010 by   bandATT 0 Votes
I have the same situation like you, I just switch from COX to ATT, because they promise to give a moon, and so so. but at the end, the bill come out more than I paid before, I called to CS, and they just explained like a robot, saying there is no such" promotional offer" even I fax to them the black and white written order worksheet. Speechless and be careful with ATT promises! never select ATT, never do "rethink possible", they are a big lier!
 4th of Nov, 2010 by   Jankis 0 Votes
We were approached by an AT&T U-Verse door to door salesman about switching to their TV and Internet services. We were offered a better price than our current cable provider for similar services, so we signed up to switch. We asked the salesman if this was a promotional rate and would change and he assured us that it was not a promotional rate and that our pricing would not change. After installation, when we logged on to our web portal, we discovered that we were signed up for a 6 month promotional rate and our bill would increase by $25 per month at that point. Customer service's only response was that they are not responsible for claims made by their sales agents. They would not extend the contract rate past six months even though I have a copy of the initial contract that mentions nothing about a 6 month promotion. We filed a complaint with the BBB because this is an illegal practice.
 16th of Apr, 2013 by   Visby 0 Votes
I had a bait and switch with ATT also. I made an order online for $40 for the internet and $40 for cable, but when I got my first bill it was $139. They said it was prorated for two months. My second bill was $140 for one month! I did an online chat and was told that I had no promotion and now I have to jump through hoops to get this cancelled. I will be contacting my 4th person today to try and get this fixed and then cancelled out. DO NOT get ATT. They will promise you the moon to get your business, but then will bill you whatever they want to bill you and just try and get them on the phone! You will have to always talk to one more person. You will always have to make one more phone call, as they do not have the same person that takes off for the current bill, past bill or any costs of not paying your bill on time, since you do not know that it has doubled. I wish that I had come to this sight before ordering ATT.

Fireworks and Kids Safety