Unfair business practices

I hope this post helps some unknowing victim from AT&T's all knowing power. I unfortunately have no recourse and I am now being forced to pay $1005.62 to AT&T for a business line that was never installed properly and never worked.

This happened because I ended up cancelling a business line because of the inferior and extremely frustrating experience I had trying to get them to fix what they had installed. To teach me a lesson, I can only assume, I was advised that I would still have to pay a termination charge and installation expenses because that was what the contract said and I signed it. The total for all that is $1005.62, which despite my repeated pleas with their organization, I have been told that no one there will reverse those charges and they will stand no matter what. It is just my fault for signing a contract with them in the first place.

I will not bore you with the details of how all this happened, because honestly, it doesn't matter. I am sure everyone knows what it is like to try to get quality service and personal care from an organization that employs 294.600 people worldwide. Essentially, they are a corporate bully, functioning behind the guise of an efficiently run organization. I just hope that any small business owner considering signing a contract with them will read this and stop and think very carefully before they do. I would hate to see anyone else become a victim as I have.

If AT&T was a properly sized organization and not just another corporate bully, this would have never happened to me. It just reinforces my belief that corporate America is very bad for America. It has destroyed people's souls and sense of fairness and created an environment where this kind of thing can occur. Even though I have escaped the brutal employment of these places, I am still falling victim to their power as a consumer. Beware who you do business with people. Smaller is better.

Sara Morgan
Author of No Limits: How I escaped Corporate America to Live the Self-Employed life of my dreams. Available through www.nolimitsthebook.com
Complaint comments Comments (7) Complaint country United States Complaint category Telecommunications
Was the above complaint useful?

28th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

AT&T - Bad customer service

I have now been on hold for 164 minutes waiting for an AT&T customer service rep to answer so I could discontinue my dial up internet service. During this time I talked to a customer service rep who was very nice and helpful for about 7 minutes about my phone service, she told me she would have to transfer me to another department that handled dial up internet service and I have been on hold the entire time waiting on someone to answer. Is this not rediculous, how long should a customer have to be on hold? I don't think their dial-up internet service department would be that busy, if it is, someone could at least pick up and let you know they will be with you asap.
 7th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I totally agree...I have had nothing but PROBLEMS with my cell phone...first the Tilt...then 4 replacements for that one and now the FUZE...it quit working and got a replacement...it doesn't work either...I have threatened to stop all my ATT services...which is UVERSE, 2 home phone lines, internet and 2 cell phones...they just don't give a flip.
 25th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
Are you just trying to sell a book?
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
Have had 3 different Blackberry and all of them had problems with the ball.

This last one is a Blackberry Bold is a refurbished phone provided by AT&T .

The 90 day warranty has expired and when i spoke with them, all they want to do is sell me a new phone at $200.00 or get an iPhone at 399.00 plus sign a new contract.

Besides being transferred from department to department where no one can help you.

Customer service is terrible. As soon as another company gets the iPhone, I am sure AT&T will lose a lot of customers. I have been with AT&T for several years.
 17th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I had AT&T internet, and when I moved, I cancelled my account and signed up for AT&T U-verse internet and cable. The next month, my account was charged for the internet that I had cancelled. I called them and they said that they would take the charges off, but when that did not happen, I disputed it on my credit card. The next month, I was charged again!! So I called again and talked to 5 different people in 45 minutes. They could not pull up my account with the phone number I had given them (although that same number was listed on the account when they finally did find the account, they had the wrong previous AND current address, and said that a check was in the mail to me (going to the wrong state) for only 1/2 of 1 months payment. Finally when I talked to someone in the U-verse department that was in the same area as me (Chicago), he was able to credit my account and fix the problem within 5 minutes. Than you John for spending 5 minutes solving the problem when no one could do anything but transfer me to someone else.
 26th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
I did not sign a contract, but they are telling me I still have to pay the "early termination fee" because somehow I received a "25%" discount. I switched my service to Comcast due to the ridiculous fees for long distance and other obscure fees for business usage under AT&T. I specifically never signed a contract with AT&T because I didn't like the wording of the contract. How is it that they can still claim I am under a contractual obligation?
 20th of Oct, 2012 by    0 Votes
I had cancelled my home phone and internet with AT&T and was sent a bill that was outrages. They than cut off my wireless because that was part of the bundle package. I payed the charges on the beginning of the this month ( October 2012 ), And was told I had to make another payment the following week. They said that my payment was for home service only when my home service did not total up the right amount. They are trying to charge me twice for the same service and would not listen to me. AT&T sucks and I hope enough people out there see this and help me to boycott the way they do business with the consumer. I hope these same reps. find themselves laid off and out of work for their lies. The right hand dose not know what the left hand is doing and that's were the lies come in.

AT&T Logo AT&T