logo

AT&T Contacts & Informations

AT&T

Posted:    Sue

AT&T SBC
Customer Beware!! AVOID AT&T.

Crooks, liars, incompetent bumbling fools...A company so large, one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. With the flip of a switch, they turn off your service, then act like there's a technical difficulty too complicated for the outsourced AT&T tech in India to diagnose. After several days of outage, they’ll send an AT&T DSL service tech to your home. He’ll tell you have bad wiring and give you a new modem and leave you with a huge bill.

Want to kill 2 hours? Call AT&T and ask for the phone number to the cancellation department. They will become very confused. They won't have a phone number. You will be passed around to 5 different AT&T customer representatives. They will put you on hold for 15 minutes at a time while they "search for the phone number to the cancellation dept." What they are really doing is while you sit there on hold is talking to other disgruntled customers. Finally you will get through to a customer representative who apologizes for the problems you are having and they will transfer you to another customer service representative who finally gives you to what they call the "retention department". I wonder how many cooperate tools it took to come up with the idea of changing the word "cancellation" to "retention".

This is what customers get when the big communications companies eliminate all of the competition. They pretty much do whatever the hell they want to do while customer service falls to the wayside.

Avoid AT&T!!
*Message sent via neighbors wireles router.
Comments United States Telecommunications
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Sep, 2008 by   Steve 0 Votes
AT&T customer service at all levels is awful.

I have had two issues which required AT&T to send an installer/technician in the past six months. The first issue led to AT&T sending an installer who didn't do the complete installation because he was too lazy (or incompetent) to do the work. So we had to wait a week -- and I had to take another full day off work -- for the second installer to come and finish the work. My cost: a second day's pay.

The second issue involved problems with my DSL business. AT&T knows less about networks than President Bush knows about performing open heart surgery. Enough said? They schedule a morning visit and showed up at 7 PM. That's not a typo -- 7 in the evening. A full day off work wasted waiting for someone who didn't have the courtesy to call to say he would be many hours late. He couldn't figure out the problem, so he said he would return the next day. So I took another day off work, and he showed up at 7 PM again. He couldn't figure out the problem again so -- against my objection -- he closed out the repair ticket knowing that the problem remained. That was a month ago, and AT&T has still not fixed the problem.

Tonight I learned that the latest (failed) attempt to fix this problem -- which involved me granting AT&T remote access to my computer -- caused a complete blockage of email in and out. I have spoken to four AT&T level two technicians since late yesterday and two were absolute idiots. The second one argued with me that what the first one told me to do (that solved part of the problem) would not work. The third one downloaded my email to his computer to test out a theory and failed to return it to me. So now AT&T has my email and I can't get it.

AT&T is offering the 3G network for the new Apple 3G iPhone. What they don't tell you is: (1) 3G coverage is very spotty in major markets like Chicago, (2) when you leave an area of 3G coverage your iPhone will drop the call you are on, (3) in 3G mode the battery runs down about twice as fast which means it won't make it through the day if you use your phone.

As far as I am concerned, AT&T does not deserve anyone's business.
 26th of Oct, 2008 by   Malcolm Stockman 0 Votes
This is more in the way of providing info for someone who may have need to do the same thing as I wanted to do with AT&T customer service. I wanted to drop my long distance service with them. So logically I went to the web site and found the number to call for changing or canceling service. I got the number to call and called it. After going through the required list selectives I was put on hold for the next available representative. I listened to their canned music (with frequent breaks telling me a rep would be with me shortly) for perhaps an hour before becoming very agitated. I decided on a new tactic. I went back to the web and got the number for ordering new service. Leaving my landline phone connected to their canceling number, I called their ordering service on my cell phone. Guess what? I got through to a human in less than three minutes. It turns out that this human could also handle canceling service as well as selling new service. The whole process was handled in about five minutes. Just for my own curiosity I left my landline phone connected to their change/cancel service number to see if they would ever answer it. They did - after another two hours! I told them I had already handled the problem and only wanted to know from them where to file a complaint. They said there was no other number to call or email address to do that. I wasn`t surprised. So if anyone wishes to cancel a service with AT&T, I suggest you bypass their canceling number and just go to the order new service instead and cancel there.
 27th of Oct, 2008 by   michelle 0 Votes
AT&T is sad, sad, sad. Please leave this company, if you want peace of mind. They have so many different depts. and they just keep transferring you, or keep you on hold for hours, sometimes just hanging up on you, when you are not even being rude. I had so many problems when I transferred my at&t phone and internet (DSL) to my new address. I don't even want to explain the nightmare. After the ordeal I finally got someone to cancel all services and switched to comcast. When I call comcast I am on hold for a few minutes not hours.
 11th of Nov, 2008 by   Martha B. Shepard 0 Votes
After 3 phone calls, and roughly 3 weeks, to find out why my at&t internet service had not been installed, they finally sent the modem i had been promised weeks before, i am now receiving bills for a larger monthly amount than agreed to. the customer service i spoke to said she had no record of the first 2 requests for service, no record of the monthly amount i had contracted for, and no record of the lifetime monthly cost i was assured of. they conveniently have no record of the first 2 calls for service, they have no idea when my service was set up, no idea how i could have been told anything from the first 2 calls. They have that recording that says your call will be recorded to your protection, blah, blah, blah. It is the worst connection i've ever made with a corporation that supposedly provides 'customer serve and reliable info'. they absolutely suck and i have no recourse because they don't care about the customer. not at all. it's all about their power and at this point, i am ready to completely discard them for all services. i will use my company provided cell phone and find any other internet provider. i have no power to control their actions with me, no access to any government regulation regarding their practices - just the option to exit all their services and find other, hopefully honest, providers. My mother, who passed in 2004, said that at&t was devil, and i thought she was crazy - and now I fucking agree. AT&T is the devil. Someone please blob me and tell me some truth to keep me from going 'AT&T'. Love to all of you out there who suffer from this malady.
 12th of Nov, 2008 by   bajaskier 0 Votes
If you have documentation of your contacts, contracts, etc., take them to small claims court. You may be awarded addtional damages for fraud.

Good luck to you.
 2nd of Feb, 2009 by   viki 0 Votes
Representative frequently give erroneous information re: biling. Will hang up on you when you ask for a supervisor. Treat their customers with disrespect.
Supervisors are rude and callous.
They are the ones who make mistakes and put their customers through undue distress.
No apology, no understanding on their part.
It's just tough luck for the customer!!
 12th of Mar, 2009 by   Tara 0 Votes
I definitely agree with this customers comment. AT&T representatives are very rude and unprofessional. Their tone of voice is often very offensive and as a result make customers very defensive. Most of them need to go back to training 101. If they are unhappy with their job description; which I'm sure is, aiming to provide quality customer service then they need to change professions. They often state that they value you as a customer. Well I beg to differ! I would really hate to see what kind of customer service they would deliver if they did not value their customers. Each time you call you are transferred to several departments before you actually get to speak with the right person. This morning I spoke with a representative and she stated her self that she could not understand the notes of other representative that I had spoken to previous. (wow)! Well of course the discrepancy was not resolved, and AT&T still came out on top, as usual!!!
Needless to say that I am fed up with AT&T. My family and friend feel the same way. We are looking for other telephone service providers. It will not hurt. Maybe other companies are more qualified in customer service and highly value CUSTOMER SATISFACTION! I know first hand that AT&T DOES NOT!!! Totally disgusted!

Tara (from SC)
 6th of Jun, 2009 by   star 0 Votes
none sense!
 11th of Jun, 2009 by   PrincessJ 0 Votes
I requested a technician to come to my home. The internet was constantly dropping. He could not find out what was causing it. It is still happening. The first guy who came to connect the phone was very knowledgable. I think At&t is a sinking ship. The government needs to open up the way for other companies to offer internet, phone, and tv. It should not only be available to Time Warner and At&t. But to other companies as well. I feel like i am talking to the walking dead. The customer service representatives are clueless and definitely not knowledgable.
 20th of Jun, 2009 by   cbrock137 0 Votes
I ordered the AT&T U-Verse 3 pack and only had to talk to one representative. They put me on a two week waiting list because they were very busy, which was o.k. with me. I ordered; high speed Internet, phone, and cable services. A week later I decided I wanted to try dial-up Internet service until they could install my other services. Dial-up should have worked because they already connected my land line phone. I called AT&T residential customer service line 1-800-288-2020, the same number I called to order service. I talked to eleven or twelve different operators. Each one asking me; what is your name, what is your phone number, what is your account number, where do you live, what can I help you with? With every operator and every department, I was told the same thing; "I can't hep you, I don't have the resources, that's not my department, I will put you through to the right department. After being on the phone for 2+ hours, I was so mad that I decided to cancel all of my AT&T services. Again not a single operator could help me. They sent me to another eight departments, each of the operators telling me the same things as before. After being on the phone for 3 1/2 hours, I told the last person I spoke to; "I refuse to talk to another operator or be sent to another department". One month later I received a bill for $65.00. I called back and it was the same thing all over again. Someone finally figured out that I was being billed for dial-up Internet. I never even used this service, I was never even connected. It was the same problem all over again, being transferred to one department to the next. I gave up, it is impossible to use AT&T customer service for anything other than ordering new service. I refuse to call there again, there team of operators are useless. I wander what would happen to the rest of us if we said "that's not my dept." or "that's not my job". So it's probably been about three months since my first phone call, and now I am receiving phone calls from CCA Collections. I told them the story, and they told me I have to write a letter to AT&T. I'm sure the letter will just float from one desk to the next. This problem will never be fixed. I feel like I have two choices; pay for a service I didn't use, or tell them to go (you know what) themselves.
 17th of Aug, 2009 by   CrotchRogers 0 Votes
I hate at&t customer service!
 20th of Jan, 2010 by   nico stanculescu 0 Votes
order was due to be completed today. have been on the phone to report problem for more than 1 h 23 min and no agent picks up. i finally gave up. inadmissible!
 2nd of May, 2010 by   Scam Breaker 0 Votes
I have several complaints about AT&T service but the most riduculous issue is how stupid their customer representatives are. Long story but the jest is we had a credit on our account for over two months before in the middle of a billing cycle they processed everything. On a Friday we get a letter that said we had a past due amount of $60 and the following Monday they cut off our service. I could not even call them. With all of the other problems my family and I were having with them that Monday evening I switched to Verizon. According to them we were past due this $60 because their processing computor said it was past due even though are previous bill said we had a credit. Now after two years and three collection agencies I found a web site that basically tells people how to fight them, and fight them I will. I have sent them two certified letters and will follow the other steps in that web site. Eventually, I will be suing them as I am going to recover all of my expenses. I have all of the evidence needed, they will spend thousands of dollars trying to defend themselves even though they haven't a chance in hell. My attorney laughed when I showed him my evidence and said this was a "no brainer" and I didn't even need him.
 25th of Jun, 2010 by   Flor1ida 0 Votes
I have been calling AT&T almost everday to get them to come and pick up the branches they left in my yard when they cut them last week to clear phone wires. I also called them today to reset my voice mail and they told me it would be reset by the time I get home from work. Well it wasn't. I have had phone trouble on and off since April 2010. They said they would give me a credit and I pulled up my bill and there was no credit. All they want to do is sell me on getting a cell phone through them. They can't seem to fix the problem so why would I want a cell phone through them. What happened to customer service. It used to be they would bend over backwards to keep your business. Not anymore. I am upset.
 5th of Aug, 2010 by   jaadmom 0 Votes
I have never seen a company with worse customer service. I switched from my cable company to AT&T because they were offering internet service free for a year. This should have been a savings of $35 per month. I received my first bill which was for two months and there was a $70 charge for internet service. I called them on 6/1/10 and was told that it would be corrected in 2-3 billing cycles. While I thought it was ridiculous that it would take this long, I accepted it. The next bill I received still showed the $35 charge but since the rep said it would take 2-3 billing cycles I did not think too much of it. The next bill I had did give me the credit for internet for the current month but only credited my account for $34 for previous charges which should have been $105. I called customer service and the rep said that they were going to start giving me the free internet for the next 12 months but would not go back to when I first received the service. I explained that I did not want it from this point forward I wanted the amount credited to my account. When she said that would not happen I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said a supervisor could not help me. How does this make sense? I explained that I don't want to stay with them for the next 12 months so I would not get the full amount off. I am so frustrated. How can a company bill you for something that you were supposed to have for free and then tell you they won't give your money back. Every person I know who deals with this company has the same issues. I have no idea how they stay in business.
 3rd of Sep, 2010 by   Diygirl10 0 Votes
I ordered Internet service from AT&T over a week ago. We waited and waited for our modem to come in the mail-we called customer service and found out they forgot to order the equipment-so I'm pretty annoyed at this point-they say they will expedite the order and we should get it Wednesday. So, Thursday rolls around and no modem-I call to verify that the order for the modem was indeed placed-guess what??? it wasn't! They forgot to place our order twice-I couldn't believe it. The only solution they gave me was to credit my account for the days we didn't actually use the internet-well DUH! that is not really doing anything for me! I told them I was very disappointed as a new customer and I really have no incentive to stay with AT&T if my experience has been this bad already. I asked them to credit our account for the modem-that's the least they could do! They told me they could not do this, I was so fed up I told them to just cancel my service.

I've never experienced such bad customer service-it's like they don't even care if they have customers or not. Just so you know AT&T-there are plenty of other internet providers out there and I will definitely discourage all of my family and friends to go with AT&T. Unbelievable!
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   cdbamford 0 Votes
I have never been on the phone with AT&T for less than an hour. Here are my problems with AT&T living in Florida and in California. The same problems still exist, and I can't find the right better business bureau to report them to: 1.) DAVIS CALIFORNIA PROBLEMS: When I first signed up (2006-2009 ), I had cell phone, internet & home phone on the same bill. That was a nightmare. If I called about one, they said I called the wrong AT&T & would give me another number to call. It was never clear which one to call for my problem. I would LITERALLY be on the phone for at least an hour each time I called. During that initial set up phase, I spent FOUR (literally FOUR) hours on the phone with tech support. They kept teling me that if they sent a tech guy out to my apt and it was a problem with m y computer and not with their line, they would charge me $100 for the visit. Each person they transferred me to woudl do the same exact troubleshooting steps and would insist that I do them before they helped me further. After four hours on the phone I had to wait for the tech support guy who was scheduled to show up within a 4 or 5 hour time window. When the tech support guy arrived, he told me that they had given me the wrong log in information.
2.) STILL DAVIS CALIFORNIA, 2010: This past December (2009) I called to cancel my DSL because they wanted to charge me $100 for a new DSL modem, even though I had been a customer for 3 years. They convinced me to stay for a cheapr rate plus free modem, but I was incorrectly billed the $100 for the modem anyway! I called back 4 months in a row (Jan 2010, feb 2010, March 2010, april 2010) and each time the customer service agent assured me that it had been taken off my bill. Seriously? These calls were more in the 30-40 minute range, admittedly under the one hour or more that I am used to.
3.) JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA, Then I moved to Florida. Oh yay, I get to set up new service again. I got DSL only (no home phone, no cell phone) because comcast is 3 times the price of AT&T. I might just go that route now. For the first 2 weeks, the service was so slow (slower than dial up) that I could not use it. I called to cancel it and switch to comcast, and they convinced me that the speed I subscribed to should not be that slow, so I agreed to talk to tech support. TWO HOURS later I asked if he could call me back because I needed to get to the post office before it closed. He finally did call me back and wanted to trouble shot more. I said no and asked for the tech guy to come by instead. The guy came 2 days later and fixed the problem, so finally I have usable service. BUT that's not all. When I signed up they wanted to charge me for a modem. I said I didn't want the modem because I had an new AT&T modem. THe guy said that due to an error in teh system it would not let me sign up for this plan without purchasing the modem but that I could return it to them for a full refund. I did this but had to pay the $10 shipping at UPS to do so.
4.) JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA, I called back today to see why the charge for the modem was still on my account. [First of all the billing phone number is not on the bill, so last week I used the online form to send an email. No one replied, so I called back today.] That's when I spent over an hour on the phone. The first number I called had an annoying automated voice menu that finally sent me to "Internet billing." I was automatically transferred to a recording that said the office would be closed for labor day and "goodbye" it hung up on me. Then I tried the online chat. I went through the menus, selected DSL billing help, then chat. The guy on the chat line said he/she could not help me & I had to call billing. The billing number was a different toll free number, so I called it. After waiting online through a few more prompts, the lady who answered and took all my info said she couldn't help me and transferred me again. I went through another series of menues and finally got a "customer retention" person. This lady took all my info again, listened to my story AGAIN, told me I would be refunded for the modem but would NOT be refunded for the 2 weeks that the DSL didn't work because I had "usage" recorded on the account. This is when I was trying to use it but it didn't work. Keep in mind that this is a matter of a $10 refund, and I PAID another $10 for their mistake when I had to send the modem back through UPS. Then when she asked what I wanted besides the refund for hte modem, we were disconnected. She was audibly irritated with me (I swear I was trying to be patient and tried to be as nice as possible under the circumstances. . .I don't blame her, I blame AT&T). Either way I am pretty sure that she intentionally hung up on me. What can we do about this? In my experience the different billing departments keep passing the buck. Spending hours on the phone with customer service is ridiculous.
 13th of Nov, 2010 by   5snowball 0 Votes
Cant even tell you the nightmare I have been having, had U-Verse installed last week. The one thing I needed was 1 phone line that ran though a Jack that had NO features, ie call waiting, forwarding, etc. This is for my work from home job. Was ensured that the phone was VoiP but would run through a separate jack. Installers came and will installing the service, cut my Jack out of my wall. Told me I didn't need it. Of course, the second line had all the features and when I called customer service to get this disconnected, they had no clue how to do this. After 40 minutes on the phone and loss of hours at work, I finally spoke to someone about having a regular old landline installed for just this one line. Had the installer out in about 6 days, not bad, but unable to work. This guys shows up, but alas, forgot to bring his drill that day. I HAD TO LEND HIM MINE! So anyway he installs everything and it seems to be working okay, until the next morning when I have to work. NO Dial Tone. I call customer service and am told that everything is fine on their end and if they send someone out it will cost me $71.00 on top of the $50 I have to pay to install the stupid jack that they took out!! Called Comcast and they are on there way, but in the mean time I get an e bill from U-Verse and I guess they forgot to mention, that the first bill is for 2 months! Now they want an additional $268.00 from me. This company is a scam!!
 8th of Dec, 2010 by   Rodney Vicars 0 Votes
A change in my monthly income was changed beyond my control. Because I am on Disability and retired, the dates that my income to be directly deposited was changed, which conflicted with the due date of my payment.
I tried two months to get them to cooperate with me and they said there was nothing that they could do and I would have to change my telephone number.
The discontinued my phone service while I was int he hospital which infuriated me because I tried to get them to help me with situation.

All other creditors were more than happy to cooperate with me and changed the due date of payment.

I am leaving ATT/

Rodney Vicars
 9th of Dec, 2010 by   Babs0619 0 Votes
New service, New home phone and High speed internet... ok service man showed up to do phone messed up the phone service of neighbor left yard in mess. sloppy work, mult. calls and sitting on phone for ever hearing "how important my call is", took at least 4 calls and each call 30 to 45 min to get to speak to a person.
Next the service man that was to come and wire for internet never showed up. mult calls again. each call 30 to 45 mins. after 4months of paying for internet that we did not have. Cancelled all service. spoke to at least 5 people on phone 2 hours, once because after holding for 45 mins was told that transferring and disconnected me, has to start over. This time though I would not be denied. If it took 10 hours, the 4 person told me I had an attitude. duh!! These people would have given Jesus one. Last women told me if I would pay 122.00 she would close account. oh well, I paid for 4 or 5 months of service that we never recieved but I just want them to go away. So I Paid,

GUESS WHAT... we have been turned over to collection. for 53.26 more.
They need to be put out of business.

I make 31.00 dollars per hours I spent at least 20 hours dealing with these people I feel they own me 620.

3 Investments to Avoid This Year