Unauthorized debit from checking account

Anaheim, California
I closed my AT&T phone and internet service account after 6 years of excellent service provided by AT&T. This is where the trouble began. I forgot to remove the autopay I set up online before I cancelled service. When I realized it I called AT&T and they said no problem, they would stop the autopay and send me a final bill for me to pay by check. They stopped the next autopay, but never sent me a final bill and just took the final bill amount out of my checking account which included an additional charge that was not clear to me. I called them and after being transferred around at least ten times, and hung up on, I finally got someone who said they could help me, but wanted to know if they talk to me about other options available to me from AT&T. I SAID NO. They wanted an alternate phone number on me so they could call me to sell me new products, I SAID NO. I just wanted to find out what the extra charge was for and make sure there would be no more debits against my checking account. My internet billing cycle ended on 5th, and I cancelled on the 9th so this made me responsible for the entire months billing. When I cancelled I was not told this. Apparently it was in the original agreement, but it would have been nice for them to remind me of this when I cancelled. NO MORE AT&T FOR ME!
Complaint comments Comments (4) Complaint country United States Complaint category Internet Providers
Was the above complaint useful?

19th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes

AT&T - Do not believe anything AT&T tells you

Do not believe anything AT&T tells you. If you do you will be very surprised when you get your bill. I got screwed before I knew what was happening. Now I am a disabled person on a fixed income that has to rely on my phone but thanks to AT&T and their lies I may not have one for long. I switched over to the so called bundle package to save money and boy was i surprised when I got my first bill which was over $300.00. Only God can help me now becauseHe is the only one who can defeat saten aka AT&T.I was told I would get a $325.00 rebate but so far all I have coming is $125.00. I want to know where my other $200.00 is and will I ever get it? I am going to have to do without my medication to try to pay this bill.
 23rd of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
I also signed up with AT&T bundle package because it said I could get unlimited home phone service, satellite, and internet for $99 a month. I only got home phone and satellite service.That was over 2 years ago and I haven't had a bill that was less than $167 a month. Also, if my disconnect date is on a Monday and I pay my bill on the weekend I will still get disconnected on Monday at 6am. They don't even open until 8am. They also offered me a $50 rebate when I added my dsl and when I kept calling because it had been several months and I hadn't received it yet they kept telling me they were reissuing me a check. I still didn't get it and after several calls they told me that I DID NOT qualify for a rebate. Why didn't the other customer service people tell me that and why did they tell me I was getting a rebate in the 1st place? AT&T will tell you whatever they want to in order to get you to sign up with them and then make you pay a ridiculous amount if you try to quit using their services.
 30th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
What others are saying
ATT Consumer Fraud
In December 2008, ATT promised bundled service for $98. The bundle included internet, phone with long distance, and a two year contract with DISH Network. EVERY month I have to call to get the bill corrected because of over charges ranging from $30 to $300. Now, they won't take off the over charges, but they won't release me from the two year contract with DISH. If you are a victim of this scam, call FTC at (877)382-4357, FCC at (888)225-5322, State Consumer Protection Agency (Attorney General) at (800)869-1123 or (404)651-8600, AND the AJC at (404)526-7003.
 1st of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
I have had too many of the same problems in addition to many other issues regarding AT&T; but what options does a person have to be able to go to anyone else when the service is a monopoly? I don't understand why they can't do a better job helping customers with ANY KIND of concern for the customer...it's non-existent when you deal with them.

AT&T Logo AT&T