logo

My Perfect Resume
It is fraud
2. (16 mins ago)
Bald and Purri Sphynx Cattery
Trouble with breeder (Brenda bevan)
3. (18 mins ago)

Posted:    Tammigal

$1000 Free Groceries Radio Scam

ATS Marketing Research
Phone: 888-438-4320
So... I KNOW BETTER! I heard a too-good-to-be-true radio advertisment that a research company was doing a thing in my area and wanted to know what people in my area were buying so would give a $1000 grocery card as long as you shop at the same store every time so they could track your purchases. Hogwash. It is really a "membership" to www.onlinecoupons.com, a "coupon clipping service" that charges 10% of the coupon's value, plus shipping. He did tell me, after I asked for details of the program, that the groceries were not actually free, but that all the coupons were 50-80% off - not those little things like in the newspaper, he said. He even gave me an example - he said "like, if you use Tide, you could go on there and print a maximum of 10 coupons for like $5 each". I have since gone to the website and searched for Tide, there are NO coupons available fot it... Liar.
Plus, he really pushed hard, and some folks might feel forced to accept (thinkfully, I am not one of them!) the additional "offers" to charge your same card for more money for services you can always call to cancel and no-one ever successfully does. It was only $3.90 so I am not ripped off of my life's savings or anything. Still, just as my good sense was trying to tell me, this is a lying, cheating, SCAM. They DO NOT tell you what you are REALLY getting, and since it is on the radio, most people will not have the opportunity to be warned by posts like this, they will just call right there from their car to be one of the "few selected to participate".
Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More ATS Marketing Research complaints
ATS Marketing Research - SCAM

Comments

17th of Aug, 2009 by   AAflyer -2 Votes
What a scam! $1, 000 in FREE groceries. Yeah, if you like paying for coupons and have someone dictate your shopping list via these coupons. The radio ads are deceitful and misleading, the operator has no info to give and no web site is giving to research before you buy in.
 20th of Aug, 2009 by   floridafeddy 0 Votes
My wife actually likes this service. We use about $50 of coupons a month and they cost $5. That's a really good deal at the end of the day. If the radio ad didn't sound so great she might have never called - but now we're both glad she did. If you are already a member you should give it a try. The coupons change every week (I think) so you're sure to find some products you use.
 20th of Aug, 2009 by   savings 0 Votes
My husband and I like this service very much. It has been a huge help in times like these...money is tight. With 2 children saving money any way we can is helpful. I've told all my friends and family about this service and they too, are extremely happy.
 20th of Aug, 2009 by   Claudia k -1 Votes
I just called to cancel this thing because first of all I've never received anything in the mail andit was never disclosed to me that they're coupons not an actual $1, 000 gift card. Firt person I spoke to called me "ignorant" for thinking that they would give me a $1, 000 gift card...his supervisor refered to me as "yo". Obviously, a reputable company. I asked for my money back and they agreed to credit me back. We'll see what happens.
 26th of Aug, 2009 by   Brittanie.Broadbent -1 Votes
They were very misleading, they told me I would get coupons what they failed to tell me was that I would have to pay for them, they told me I had 1 flat rate plus all the gift cards yadda yadda... So is this legal? Can they be that misleading and sneaky... I read your posts and just cancelled my BANK ACCOUNT!!! because after I ordered and wanted to cancel their customer service department was conveniently closed, and the people I just talked to told me to call them back tomorrow... They don't have a legit website, I don't know how this can be legal?!
 27th of Aug, 2009 by   E_DoubleU 0 Votes
I'd like to thank all the complaints I've read so far, which seems to be plenty. I called this morning to sign up for my FREE $1000 too. Was told there is a card that does everything electronically after I go online to pick what I'm shopping for. I asked which stores do this and he told me "well theres about 127, 000 locations, so I'm sure there something around". Radio ad is extremely misleading as are the people on the phone. So, after an hour of reading problems and complaints, I just decided to call the customer service number he gave me which surprisingly was good, (888) 840-4471. The guy at first was very helpful, no questions asked. He just wanted to confirm my name and address. BUT as he says my last name, he did find it necessary to make a joke about it. I asked what he said, which I heard, he said "nevermind" I told him "real funny". Next I need to make sure there are no charges to my account. I hate complaining and you can usually tell if something is too good to be true, but this was just outright lying. I hope other find this info before they sign up.
 27th of Aug, 2009 by   suemar 0 Votes
I'm glad I found this website before buying into this offer. I called the number given on the radio and asked a lot of questions which seemed to irritate the person that got my call. He never did give up the information that stated the offer was coupons. I should have known. I did say on the phone that if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is! I called the radio station to report the offer was not what it seemed by the advertisement statements. Don't know if this qualifies as a scam, but it certainly is misleading. Once again this is a company trying to take advantage of the elderly and people who are strapped for cash in these rather difficult times. Always pays to research an offer. Good luck to the people who are happy with the offer.
 3rd of Sep, 2009 by   Shaybaybay 0 Votes
I just called to sign up for free groceries. I called the customer service and they were closed but i plan to call back tomorrow morning to cancel. when i called the same number back that i had used to sign up he said only the customer service could bring up my information for my "protection". He asked me why i wanted to cancel and said its not a scam you get free coupons up to $1000. Which he forgot to include when i gave him my ATM number. I was under the impression it was a gift card. Good thing i found this web site.
 8th of Sep, 2009 by   dalil1icp 0 Votes
I called and signed up for this "$1000.00 in free groceries" should have known it was a scam. But thanks to all these post's I am calling back tomorrow to cancel. Apparently its too late eastern time to all and cancell. I'm in Colorado.
 10th of Sep, 2009 by   couponkeri 0 Votes
Thank you for your posts here. I called this morning to get information. He was actually pretty straightforward about the coupons and how it works. However I was still skeptical. So I decided to research it online. Glad I did! Thanks for saving me time and money!
 19th of Sep, 2009 by   Tin man 0 Votes
We just called and ordered our card and the guy was really pleasant on the phone, joked around to lighten the mood, told us things to make it sound lagite, like you can't buy generic stuff or use the money to buy tobacco or alcochol blah blah blah...I should have thought first...they charged me $8.95 for the "Shipping and Handling" of my soon to be recieved package containing my $1000.00 card for free grocerys plus a $25.00 gas and walmart gift card...We called our bank and canceled my bloody card. How can these people go home and feel good about themselves...?
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   michelle80 0 Votes
I heard it for the first time today, the lady didnt expain anything she asked for my billing address and name and then said there is a $4.95 charge for shipping and she would need a credit card so I asked who would be billing this she said ATS marketing, I asked for a customer service line she said call the same # and I asked for a corporate office address she said its in Maine and they dont disclose that info. I politely told her I cant disclose my credit card info to a company who refuses to give me a corporate address...I said thank you and goodbye...Sounds like a way to get your info.
If they're selling coupons I can get free coupons online without giving my credit card info. Keycodes.com is awesome and you find really good coupons that you would actually use.
 12th of Nov, 2009 by   KDB 0 Votes
I am SO glad I found this website before I bought into this. I have already been the victim of a scam so when I called and they asked for my credit card number for the "shipping" charge, I told them never mind. I wanted to be sure it was legit or not so I googled them. If people didn't speak up and share, so many others would be victims. Thanks for taking the time to let people know.
 21st of Nov, 2009 by   pamk 0 Votes
i was scammed..with this offer too...didnt know it was coupons and i don't buy processed food so the coupons don't do me any good...I called right away and cancelled but this month they took $49 out of my bank account anyway..i was trying to put a stop /dispute on it but it went through anyway..my bank told me i had to pay to put stop on it and then they would have to pay back but it put me in overdraft
 2nd of Dec, 2009 by   xavier91 0 Votes
they hung up on me when i called them on there scam because i have been waiting for about 3 weeks and i was told that it will b here in 3 to 5 days
 3rd of Dec, 2009 by   maedamile 0 Votes
I just heard this on the radio. I am called them, the people on the phone are very rude. If you ask them questions, they don't like it. When I asked the agent if this was a scam, he told me that I was "ignorant" and was wasting his time and he hung up! The next time I was told that that the whole thing was coupon clipping and you are paying for coupons. When I asked them if they themselves were signed up, I was told they didn't have time to these unnecessary questions and they were forcing me to sign up and ask questions later. What is scam!
 9th of Dec, 2009 by   kacord 0 Votes
I just heard the add on the radio and thought hey, sounds like this is my lucky day. Then i called the number. Just a word of advice, any time someone asks for your credit card number in order to process anything that is supposed to be free, it is some sort of scam.
 28th of Dec, 2009 by   R_G in PA 0 Votes
There's another sucker born every minute and I was another one. I wish there were some way to push the radio companies to drop these ads, but they will put on whomever pays their rate. If we can all notify our local news agencies about their dishonest radio advertisement, maybe they'll yank it. Are there any good attorneys out there that know what is supposed to be considered "Truth in advertising"?
 5th of Jan, 2010 by   Krista1 0 Votes
I ordered on December 23rd and though I found it funny you had to pay to send it, I heard the ad on a very popular radio station and assumed they would not advertise anything to scam their listeners. Needless to say, I was also scammed. I specifically asked if it was coupons they were sending and was outright told NO, it is a card you can use wherever. I called several times and was told 3 to 5 days and when it was apparent it was not coming they said they cannot track it until after 30 days. I have to dispute the charge and it will cost more to do so. How in the world can they get away with this?
 7th of Jan, 2010 by   dilynnsaxton 0 Votes
My daughter-in-law called on this. Not only was she given 2 different costs for shipping, handling, processing, she was also told she would get $70 in Walmart gift cards. She told them she wanted to be sure it wasn't a scam and was asked why she called if she thought it might be a scam. She advised them that she just wanted more information than was given in the radio ad so she could make up her own mind and they were very rude to her after that. Fortunately, she told them she would think about it and call back. I then Googled the company and found this posting.

WSYX Columbus Coverage Being Used as Scam Source