Poor Customer Service

I received an ASUS eee Netbook 1005PEG for Christmas. While surfing on Amazon last night, Dec 27, I got the ‘blue screen of death’ (which I’m told is extremely unusual and generally severe on Windows 7). After an attempt at restart, I got a boot error message and the hard drive began to chirp and chatter (like a broken needle on an LP record). I called their 24/7 US-based customer service. I was on hold for 15 minutes & finally hung up to try again during the daytime.
I called today (Dec 28). I was on hold for 15 minutes again and finally got someone who barely spoke English (this is US-based customer service?). After spelling my name 6 times, we moved on. From the beginning, he made it sound like I had broken the computer (there are 7 laptops in my living room right now---3 Dells, 2 HPs, a Toshiba, and a Mac, so I know how to use a laptop). He said “well what have you done on the computer since you had it?” and continued to pressure me when I assured him I had only surfed the internet (that is, after all, what a netbook is made for).
He attempted to instruct me on a reboot although I had said I had tried it last night & the hard drive kept making more noise, which I told him (asked me to press F2 to get to the bios and questioned me when I told him I didn’t have the option on the screen that he wanted. He also asked me to press F9. I’m not sure what that does because I got the same error message as I had before). Finally, after 20 more minutes, I got an RMA to send the thing in for repairs (after providing, spelling and verifying my email address approximately 13 times). He told me I would have to pay the shipping to them (but ONLY after I asked) and they would (kindly) send it back at no cost. This is a $300 computer that was turned on for 36 hours. I would have to pay 10% of the purchase price to send it back. Reasoning was to no avail, he kept repeating the same lame phrases. I was put on hold repeatedly. I asked to speak to his supervisor; he didn’t have one. It’s now about an hour after we started.
I moved on and asked for the state that ASUS in located in (I am filing a BBB complaint). At first he said he had no idea where they were located, then he changed his story and said they were in Europe but had no idea where. After yet another hold, he told me they were headquartered in Fremont, CA. I asked for an address. After more pressing, he said he wasn’t allowed to give their location.
We then moved on & I asked for his name and service employee number. Again, he’s not allowed to give that information, not even first name. Then I asked for his HR number or some other identifying number to connect him to my complaint.
I hope they monitor THAT conversation.
Complaint comments Comments (9) Complaint country United States Complaint category Laptops / Notebooks
Was the above complaint useful?

21st of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
I had a good experience using an Asus I bought two months ago. I honestly can't complain about the computer itself, at this point. The problem was with the ac charger which failed after 2 months. Simple problem and solution yet the laptop is useless unless you have adapter.
After contacting Asus, I ad to suggest to tech what they should do. I concisely said to overnight charger and I'll ship bad one. They wanted me to send old one back first. I threatened to return the computer since I bought it at Costco or simply send new charger. He made me fill out RMA form I had fill it out, include a credit card # and sign and fax it. The process took over 3 days. They finally sent out new one but did ground shipping with no return label.It took 10 days to get new one. My wife in the meantime, needed laptop for work. She had to use her 7 year old Toshiba that is still running. At this point, I just wanted to get it up and running to copy newer files . I would have returned it ASAp but my wife had recent files she needed to retrieve for work.
As soon as I got the charger, I backed up all files, sent out old charger at my own expense. I then returned the computer for a full refund at Costco, no questions asked and vowed to never buy an Asus since I can't trust their customer service.
I just bought a Toshiba, my third one, and I am glad I did. I've dealt with Toshiba and have been treated well and have most of my concerns resolved.
It's a shame, since I liked the Asus and was hoping to keep it for a while. But that one experience revealed to me what the future would hold. Apple sends out things overnight when they don't work. True, there are local Apple stores so I just exchanged things when I needed to, but that service is what I am accustomed to and I am disappointed that Asus did not fulfill commitment to satisfy the customer.
 15th of Jun, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I had the almost similar case as yours. My 1-day-old adapter produced noise while it was charging. I brought it to Asus Customer Service and they told me to leave the old one and wait for the new one to come as they didn't have current stock. I asked when will the new one arrives as I still need to use my laptop while waiting. The Customer Service said he do not know. Then I asked him to call to confirm and he is like quite reluctant to do so. He kept asking me to wait as he couldn't give me an actual arrival date. I told him I can't afford not to use my laptop while waiting and he said he can do nothing on this because they never face any adapter issue before. I was so frustrated and asked him to give me a solution but he just kept saying nothing they can do.

At last, I was told it will reach in the next Monday and I will be called up to collect. However, on Monday no one calls and I had to call back to ask again. The answer I got is it will reach on Tuesday and they will call me up to collect before 12pm. And yes you guess it right as I did not receive any call until 11.45am on Tuesday. I called the Customer Service again and the answer is the new adapter will only reach at 1pm and they promised to call me. I am still waiting.
 24th of Dec, 2011 by    0 Votes

ASUS - motherboard

After two months of use, my new motherboard stopped working. When I send it for repair, They returned me an abused used unit that doesn’t work and then refuse to fix it because motheboard is ...damaged.
 17th of Mar, 2012 by    0 Votes
Asus is terrible
 1st of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
I have dealing with Asus on a motherboard issue since Jan of 2012, it is now June 2012.
They have sent me a damaged motherboard and blamed me for it as well. I will NEVER purchase anything from Asus again and I always tell everyone how terrible their products, service and company polices are.
 20th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes

ASUS - They physically damaged my product, so that they dont have to provide service

I have an Asus motherboard, which I had to replace 5 times, even the fifth time the board didn't work properly, when I went to get it replaced again, to not provide me service they intentionally bent the pins of the processor socket and told that it was done by me.
 30th of Dec, 2014 by    0 Votes

ASUS - no replacement of defective mobile phone zenfone 6
Phone: 8130243666

I brought asus zenfone 6 one month back. Now its mike viber and speaker are not working. I submit it at service centre 201 ashok bhawan nehru place delhi but after repeated attempts they were unable to resolve problems. I want to know why is this defective piece not being been replaced
 24th of Feb, 2015 by    0 Votes
Hello fellow facebookers. Just a story about a router I purchased and it was made by ASUS. I paid $55.00 for it and it came with a 2 year warranty. Well it back before the 2 years and ASUS refuses to honor the warranty. Told me I need to buy a new one. That is bologna. Why should I buy another router from them when the 1 I paid $55.00 was covered under a 2 year warranty? They are dishonest company in my opinion. I say this under the 1st amendments to the constitution Freedom of speech. I will not buy a new 1 from them. I will post on all media site about how they refused to honor a paid warranty. Bad pr will get them to give me new router.
 24th of Feb, 2015 by    0 Votes
I filed complaints with the Better Business and the Attorney General of California. I suggest anyone on here that has issues with them not wanting to honor warranty do the same.

ASUS India Pvt. Ltd Logo ASUS India Pvt. Ltd