logo

Penn Foster
Payments of tuition!
2. (4 mins ago)
RPT MyScore
They didn’t cancel my account and no refund
3. (4 mins ago)
Wal-Mart / SmartStyle Hair Salon
No customer service!
4. (7 mins ago)
CHEVROLET MOTORS WORLDWIDE LTD.
CHEVROLET Programs & Events Department
5. (8 mins ago)
Elara Homes
Terrible home builder

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

assurant special property insurance, Kountze, Texas Complaints & Reviews - no service only lip service

assurant special property insurance Contacts & Informations

assurant special property insurance

Posted:    Dale Mirabella

no service only lip service

home owner
1230 n. pine
Kountze, Texas
I bought insurance through Geico and When the policy showed up it said Assurant Special Property on the envelope. Inside the envelope it turned out to be Ranchers and Farmers mutual insurance company which was managed by AMERICAN BANKERS INSURANCE COMPANY OF FLORIDA. I incurred a loss during hurricane Ike. I filed a claim and sometime later Jonathan Moretsky returned my call. He said he was my adjuster and he would be in my area and would call me within 36 hours . Well that never happened so I called back 5 days later and he returned my call the next day. We set up an appointment to go look at my property which I let him know is 60 miles away. Well he never showed and would not answer his phone so I called Assurant back and they said Southwest Adjusters out of Houston was handling the claim. So I got there number and called them they said they would give him a call and get johnathan to call me. After waiting some time I called again and they said they could not get ahold of him but they would get his boss to call him. I spent most of the day there and no one ever called or came by even after I requested they call me back and let me know one way or the other. Since then I have contacted their complaint departments and people returned my calls trying to act like they cared and would get something done about it. Well nothing has changed we have been out of the house for a month and have not seen an adjuster yet. WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH ANY OF THESE COMPANIES
Comments United States Home Insurance / Warranty
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Oct, 2009 by   Carol Herrington +1 Votes
I have the same experience now with Assurant. My home was damaged in September 2009; still no repairs and no money. Fighting every step of the way.
 15th of Nov, 2009 by   Bert Dillweed +1 Votes
I sell American Reliable (Standard Guaranty) fire coverage in the Southeast. Thus far I haven't seen where Assurant is not paying claims.

But this photo is really disturbng, apparently this little girl sells girl scout cookies and if you don't buy some from her, she'll burn your home down! That's scary, isn't it?

I wonder if Assurant would pay out???
 9th of Aug, 2010 by   Bill Smith1 0 Votes
I have to agree but on a different note. I was forced to get their "insurance" for an apartment through my apartment complex. From the start, I knew they were a sketchy company. Well ends up I get a letter a year later that they have my policy on "auto-renew" (which I never told them to auto-renew my policy), and that I have to notify them at least 5 days prior to cancel. Well I call them and talk to someone to cancel my policy. This person lets me know that they don't cancel over the phone (of course, why would they...). So they sent me an email, I reply with date of cancellation and policy info. An email comes back saying that I will receive confirmation in 3 to 5 days (at this time I am 7 days prior to renewal...). Well 7 days pass and no email and a nice charge to my bank account. Email them back to get a refund... 8 days later NO REPLY... I call... 15 minutes of crappy music and a voice telling you to use their website (yea, because they answer their emails and all...). Oooo a person answers... "Please cancel my policy !!!", person says "I see that you would like to cancel... cancelling now". WOW REALLY ASSURANT, YOU COULDNT CANCEL OVER THE PHONE THE FIRST TIME!!!

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! My emails to them are attached...
 17th of Aug, 2010 by   alexisbb 0 Votes
I signed up for renters insurance at the end of July. Since then I have had to call back four times. First they spelled names wrong, then the mixed me up with someone else and cancelled my policy by accident, then I called because I got a cancellation notice with the persons name that they mixed me up with and was assured that my policy was in good standing and that I would owe a payment by tomorrow the 18th. When I logged on to make a payment, I saw that my policy was cancelled a second time in one month. When I called a manager he was “BUSY” I will NEVER use this company again and seriously consider that Geico has my best interest in mind when they recommend this company. I might switch from Geico auto as well because of this.
 30th of Sep, 2010 by   Douglas Chatman 0 Votes
I was cleaning my house and want to slide my 60" sony tv forward to clean all the dust and kids toys from behind it and it fell over. I called and made a claim, a few days later I get a letter stating they don't cover falling items unless basically the house is falling. what is the purpose of having insurance with them if they don't cover accidents? There just like all the movies that show all the insurance companys do is deny, deny deny!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED GEICO USES THEM SO DON'T GET RENTERS INSURANCE THROUGH GEICO IN FLORIDA!!!
 15th of Dec, 2010 by   C. J. Lee 0 Votes
I had a very similar experience as one of the commenters. It was so difficut to cancel the policy, and the company charge you for renewal automatically!! If you happened to hold policy from Assurant, then you want to get your credit card info and/or bank info removed from their file. Write them specifically (and keep a copy of your signed and dated letter) that you DO NOT AUTHORIZE them to auto-charge your account. It appears to me that they will use any excuse to charge you and drag the refund/cancel process for as long as they can. If you are shopping for renter insurance, then stay away from Assurant or any companies affiliated with the American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida. This group implements policies to trap, take advantage of and cheat cosumers in every way they can.
 17th of Dec, 2010 by   areohdee 0 Votes
Definitely going to seek some legal counsel with the Florida folks at Assurant... I gave them a call, with hopes that my Flat Screen falling from its mount after my house shook a tad, would be covered (a long shot, I know)... After speaking with a claims Specialist for several minutes, she said "you have to have your TV inspected by a licensed technician, to assess the damage amount" this costs around $50 depending on your neighborhood, but I was assured (no pun intended) that I would be reimbursed the $65 I paid... One day later after several calls, my "claims person" told me I was not covered for this... ok, I said, how do I get reimbursed for my $65.00? She almost laughed, and said you don't... still fighting with them now, Very poor business relations... Is this really 2010, haven't these companies learned? To be continued...
 9th of Jun, 2011 by   Marcus Emmert +1 Votes
Assurant is a parasitic scam that sucks the life out of larger insurance companies by claiming to offer insurance packages that the larger companies do not offer, only to bait-and-switch their coverage in fine complex legal print by redefining terminology and coverage shortly after the customers are duped into accepting their coverage. Geico sold us Assurant to make a quick sale, so they are also guilty. As long as Geico continues to recommend and associate with Assurant insurance, they will continue to lose Auto customers as well.
 30th of Jun, 2011 by   HouseMouse 0 Votes
It's going on 23 days since I filed a claim against my homeowners Assurant Policy for a tree that went through our house due to a logging accident. I don't know anything more than I knew the day I filed my claim. Assurant wanted me to go through them and they'll go after the logger's policy. Assurant sent an adjuster who showed up 8 days after the accident. Apparently he's the only one in a 500 mile radius. The adjuster called me a few days later to see if I hired and engineer and contractors to assess the damage. I replied "No" as the adjuster told me it would be 10 days for the report to be reviewed and case decided and don't know if they'll total my home. I'm not going to do the adjusters job for him...I'm "not qualified" but I am capable. If most businesses operated in this fashion they would be out of business their first month. Shameful at best. They get an "F" in my book.
 9th of Sep, 2011 by   DeePossum 0 Votes
My oh my I am agreeing with all of you about Assurant. My best friend has the company for renters. She was a victim of Arson & a hate crime. The 1 st initial call went fine. After that nothing. They never return calls. A month after the fire they are still holding up payment and asking her for her divorce papers amongst other very personal info that doesn't relate to the claim. Pathetic to say the least. You purchase this stuff to protect your family but then get the run around trying to get your life back.
 11th of Oct, 2012 by   Mr. Towne 0 Votes
In July, Maine Drilling and Blasting set off an over sized explosion in a gravel pit up the road from me rocking my house in two different directions which seemed to last for several minutes. I too unfortunately have Assurant Specialty Insurance on my manufactured home through Geico. I filed a claim for damages on August 9th. Several days later I received a letter notifying me that a Marilu Rojas was assigned as my claims handler. Several days later after not hearing from anyone I called them down in Florida and asked what was going on with my claim. No one could find ms. Rojas, she was away from her desk I was told. Two days later a Ron Oneill from Integrity Adjusters calls me and says he'll be out to assess damage in about 3-4 days, he's out of my area and can't get there sooner.
Six days later O'neill shows up, takes a few pictures, records a statement from me and tells me he'll file his report with the insurance company in a couple days. A week goes by, no contacts from Assurant/Rojas or anyone. call again, she's no where to be found. Her supervisor is also away from his desk and can't be found. I am told someone will get back to me by end of business day .. never happened. Called again next day, same run-around. Finally 5 days later Rojas calls, say she needs to send out a structural engineer as their adjuster is unqualified ( why in hell send him in the first place ? ) to make structural determinations. Four days later I'm contacted by Carl Goldknopf of GZA Environmental, Inc .. he comes out 3 days later and determines my home is under :"significant stress" and confirms "major" structural damage .. floors, walls, piers are all crooked and sagging. Plumbing is being pulled apart and I have water leaking and my heating ductwork is separated at some joints and elbows ( it's getting cold up here now and oil is expensive ). Carl files his report 2 days later. A week goes by, no contact so I call; once again Rojas is nowhere to be found, nor is her supervisor ( this is getting old real quick ), I leave voice mail for both. Finally get a call from Rojas telling me that they are going to pay claim and that if I have anything else to submit to do it now as she is working on the paperwork to get the check out to me ; this was Monday October 8th, nearly 980 days from when I first contacted them. I submitted an estimate to fix damaged waterlines and asked when I would receive this check, what was the process and if there were paperwork I had to sign first.
Rojas called me Monday afternoon, said she was finishing up paperwork and would call me back in a couple of days and get the check to me by this Friday. Well I called today as a follow up to see where I stood as the contra tor wanted to come this weekend and get started as the weather is turning colder up here in NH and before long they won't be able to do what they have to to repair my home as it will be too cold and snowy. Today Rojas tells me she just finished and submitted the paperwork for review to her boss and that it next needs to be reviewed by claims and then if they approve they will issue a check. When I ask how much longer she doesn't know. What in hell kind of fly by night operation are they running down there? These people are a an absolute abomination and should be shut down immediately right after I get my check. Complaint to be filed with tyhe Florida BBB abd Florida attorney General's office.
 8th of Jan, 2013 by   Michelle611 0 Votes
Do not get involved with Auto pay! I wish I had done my homework on here before I had. I called and signed up for monthly billing and and they took their monthly payment and 3 days later took their yearly payment! My account is all messed up and I am fighting to get my money back! Getting nothing but lies and the run around about it being deposited back into my account!
 8th of Jan, 2013 by   Mr. Towne 0 Votes
Finally got a check from them but they also put my loan originator on the check and they want me to sign it over to them and then THEY will release funds to me to pay contractors under their terms which is ridiculous. My attorney has advised I don't endorse the check and he will now take over the battle. It's been 7 months now, my house is severely damaged and nothing has been done to even get started with repairs. There's snow on the ground and roof and it's freezing outside and not a contractor in the area willing to come and work on it now. Oh and I got my bill from American Bankers, a$$holes increased all my deductibles and my premium went up over $200. Stay away from these slimeballs !!!
 14th of Jan, 2013 by   jchris1445 0 Votes
Date of Loss:  December 26, 2012Complaint Details:  On the date of stated my apartment building caught fire in greenbelt md at the  franklin park aparment complex due to a malfunctioning furnace myself along with  20+ families were displaced because of the fire. My home was the main building  9133 edmonston ter apt 204 that caught fire and my family and i lost completly  everything i have a fiance and 2 year old daughter we lost clothes personal items  christmas gifts food ans much more. I have more than.enough coverage to cover  everything and assurant will barley help pay for loging while all this is going on i call  to check on.my claim and get know answers and i got a $1, 000 as a advance and  with hotels and getting alil bit of clothes and food we were well over that i spoke to  my ajuster joanna cobenyero and she said we must send in.reciepts showing that  we spent the advance ive done that and and its like i feel like im.being.jerked around  i get know phone calls back its like when i call im.being a nusince and for.me.to be  paying for this i feel like im.being.taking advantage of and i really need some kind of  intervention ive use alot of my personal money for a hotel and im a personal  contracter and havent been able to work because i lost all my things in this.fire and i  have over $12, 000 in living expenses coverage with this policy but its not being used  to benifet my family i keep getting the run around and this cannot be
 13th of Sep, 2013 by   Flores2013 0 Votes
This is by far the worst insurance company I have come across. For the love of God, seek another company and do your research. But please do not choose this one. I am just an ordinary policy holder or soon to be ex-policy holder who had a hard time dealing with these clowns.
 14th of Oct, 2013 by   assurant client 0 Votes
I have submitted a claim with this company as well and temesha bruton is my specialist. It has been more than 90 days since I filled my claim, but honestly so far I have been able to make contact with my adjuster without a problem. I do think that they have had more than enough time to process my claim but hey what can I do? I have asked how much longer, but of course they haven't told me any time frame. But I cant say that they avoid me they actually get back to me asap. but I do bug them all day sometime 2 or 3 times a day because I do need to have my items replaced.
 5th of Nov, 2013 by   Georgianative 0 Votes
We filed a claim for roof repair/replacement after series of storms in our area. Three days later adjuster comes out and says the roof is in good condition and that one spot needs repairs. Assurant sent us $221 who repairs a roof for that? Well another leak sprang up and the adjuster returned made his recommendation to Assurant. Assurant denied our claim for a new roof. We have been in our home for 7 years and the roof as well as the edges need replacing. This is horrible and we are currently looking for another insurance company. Stay away from Assurant!!!
 27th of Jan, 2014 by   AngryChe 0 Votes
My home was burglarized on 10/28/13. Today is January 27, 2014. I was told today my claim was denied. I have had complaints the entire time I have had this company and I got them through geico as well. I have retained an attorney because they denied me by saying I submitted pictures that were taken after my claim date. I read all the stories about them only after my home had been robbed. I have spoke with several people that said there reputation is terrible, even other insurance agents say stay away. I am going to fight. I worked very hard for what I had and I cant believe I am dealing with these crooks. There are stories all over the internet about customers who have complaints. Numbers don't lie, , stay away from this company!!!

Beware of Phishing Scam!