logo

Money taken from account

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Ashford University Complaints & Reviews - STAY AWAY FROM ASHFORD (FRAUDS)

Ashford University Contacts & Informations

Ashford University

Posted:    Bosslady

STAY AWAY FROM ASHFORD (FRAUDS)

Ashford University
Ashford.edu
STAY AWAY FROM ASHFORD
Ashford University is nothing but a huge FRAUD school. They will let you attend school before your financial aid is complete. And it will take you forever to get it complete if you ever do. When you finally realize that your not getting financial aid you will owe them thousands of dollars. DO NOT GO THROUGH ASHFORD UNIVERSITY. They will rip you off. The WORST online school ever. Believe what you read (all the bad) on this complaint board it is TRUE. I owe them over $5, 000 dollars so they say, because unfortnately My Financial Aid did not go through, because they say they never received my paperwork even though I received an email fro my Financial advisor on 7/1/08 stating that they had received all of my paperwork and I would shortly receive a letter stating what grants I received. That letter never came and I am still fighting them to this day about my balance. STAY AWAY FROM ASHFORD THEY ARE HORRIBLE
Comments United States Colleges and Universities
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Jul, 2009 by   dlg +2 Votes
I am having the same problem... In sept of 08, I was contacted by ashbford regarding my interest going back to school. I thought normal business practice was to be approved for Financial Aid before starting classes, not at Ashford, it was stated that you needed to be enrolled and attending classes in order to be approved. they told me it would take approximately up to six weeks for the approval process. I, also, had to send my information several times either fax or email and still had problems and never approved. After my second class and numerous phone calls, I informed them that I will not be attending anymore classes until I have been approved.

Now they are coming after me for over $3K...money that I do not have. I have spoken to several people in the billing and collections department. Everytime I think that I have it resolved I get contacted by a different person as if I never spoke to anyone and are now threatening me to go to collections and ruin my credit.

Can you tell me if you have resolved these issues and how?
 3rd of Jul, 2009 by   Bosslady +3 Votes
I have not resolved my issue either. They tell you it takes 6 weeks. so they can get the $990 for there whatever fee. Please let me know if have gotten any where.
 6th of Aug, 2009 by   Debbie V +3 Votes
I have had a similar experience. When I began the enrollment process, my academic advisor told me that as long as my husband didn't make more than $150k I would qualify for a grant for a portion of my tuition and books. We don't make close to that amount, but as suspected, I did not qualify. Per his instruction, I applied for financial aid. I received an email from my financial advisor to say that my financial aid was complete. When I asked about whether or not the books for the classes were unique to Ashford, my academic advisor told me that these books could be purchased anywhere (NOT TRUE!) 3 weeks into classes, I was notified that tuition was increasing by 30%. I finished my first 2 classes and then completed a withdrawal form prior to my 3rd class. This took 4 attempts to finally be withdrawn, after multiple notices that I had not been attending my 3 class and was about to be "dropped". I was then notified that I did not have financial aid; I owed for the 2 classes plus a technology fee of $990. I was told to file a complaint in writing disputing the technology fee. I did so promptly. Of course that was back in May, and I have yet to receive a response, other than the collection calls that I get at work and home. I have left multiple messages for a financial aid supervisor (who is NEVER available) and have yet to receive a return call. The only call backs I can get are from the collection departments. Anyone interested in a class action lawsuit???
 7th of Aug, 2009 by   stewielovesrupert -1 Votes
I am somewhat confused about your problems, mainly because I am also a student of Ashford and have had NO problems at all with my financial aid. If you applied for financial aid and filled out your FAFSA application, this is money that is guaranteed by the federal government. You have to fill out your application with the government itself and they provide the funds to the school. You can even go onto the FAFSA government website and confirm your financial aid!

It sounds to me that every person on this post lacks the ability to do their homework and take care of these items themselves. Do not wait for the school to confirm that your financial aid went through; follow up on that yourself! When I decided to attend Ashford, they helped walk me through the financial aid process and it was approved prior to me starting my first class. This is common standard practice for schools in today's world. I already have a degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara, and it was same practice there as well.

Also, to Bosslady, Ashford is not an online school. They are an accredited (if you even know what that means) school recognized by the government that has a main campus in Clinton, IA. They offer an extended studies program, just as many well respected universities around the country do. Other schools like the University of Colorado, Syracuse, even Harvard have programs that are online.

I am not going to say that my entire experience has been great. Their advisors are sometimes hard to get a hold of, and their financial department can use some help. Like any school or business, there are items that need improvement. Ashford is a fine school. It seems that everyone else on this post shows how incapable they are of handling their education reasonably. College is expensive. Books are expensive. Read the fine print before you sign the dotted line. It may be best for all of you to forgo getting an education, since it is obvious that you do not have the ability to retain one in the first place.

Stewie
 10th of Aug, 2009 by   allenb -2 Votes
I am a student at Ashford University and havent had no problems what so ever it sounds to me like the people complaining here did not follow the right prosesses or follow though with something they were supposed to do. Next time would be students do your part and you might not have any problems.
 21st of Aug, 2009 by   sillih +2 Votes
I have been deceived by the financial aid office as well. After talking to my financial aid officer, I was assured that I was packaged correctly. Come to find out after numerous times of emailing him and calling him and not getting a response, I was still classified as a freshmen and not a junior. I found out by another financial aid officer that I had been neglected by my financial aid officer. It has been two months and I've been waiting for my classification to be changed so that I can get money that I'm entitled to. I called last week and was told it was being worked on. Then I called Tuesday of this week to see what was going on and was told nothing that the notes were in the computer but it hadn't been processed yet. The lady on the phone said she would send an e-mail to notify the mangager of my problem to see if that would speed things up. I called today, Friday, and another lady has told me nothing has been done. I'm fed up. I'm withdrawing because I'm tired of being deceived, the voice mails, the run-around and I can't afford another $100 dollar book.
 2nd of Sep, 2009 by   jeremiah2913 +3 Votes
I am saddened by the comments made by two students that feel that the other students having problems with Ashford University are in any way too dumb to attend school. You unfortunately are showing your lack of intelligence. Just because a person is having problems getting what they need and deserve out of Ashford does not necessarily reflect on them as a person. I personally have spent every single day on the phone for the past two and half weeks with Ashford trying to withdraw. I have chosen to go to college locally and Ashford simply will not give me the information that I need to withdraw. I have called my enrollment advisor every day telling him I want out and he keeps giving me a run around and telling me to "wait one more day" and he'll call me back the next day. He has not been calling me back. I have had to call him each day and several times a day at that. I am not saying Ashford is a bad school. It is just not the school for me and I should have the choice of which school I attend. This is the second week of classes and I have been trying to withdraw since the end of the first week.
 16th of Sep, 2009 by   master builder -3 Votes
Stewie, You are very right!! I also have had no problems at all with any Fin Aid. It is up to the individual to stay on top of the aid. And they also walked me thru it as well thru the entire process. It was painless. I have already gotten my fin letter before the end of my first class. It sounds like the other people here, either didn't fill out the paper's correctly or something is wrong on their end, not the school. The school has nothing to do with Fin Aid. Like you said, " Do your home work people". Right on brother.
 24th of Sep, 2009 by   Ambitious Educator +2 Votes
Allow me to unconfuse you Stewie...Just because you have not had any problems does not mean that others do not have issues. You can be stuck on stupid and agree with some entity that probably does not know you if you pooped on the front lawn of the on ground campus. What are you majoring in? Huh, what kind of agent for social change are you? I have several degrees and attempted to pursue my dual Master's and PhD with a very reputable school only to find out that Ashford has illegally tapped into my subsidized loan money which I never authorized for them to do. My problem with Ashford did not occur while I was enrolled or so I thought. However, the S%*T really has hit the fan as they - your beloved University...do you know the alma mater or the fight song?...Right, that's what I thought. Now that you might be able to understand me and where and I'm coming from, I would strongly suggest that you check into your financial aid where your money is really coming from and where it is really going. Find out what you will really owe and GOD forbid I hope you never have to withdraw or sit out. These people have legitimate problems and complaints. Both my sister and my mother are having similar situations. We are considering a lawsuit and have contacted a lawyer. When you get your degree that says graduate of Ashford University on it...let me know who the real President of the college is and let me know where you will be working at. I'd prefer to avoid Ashford and it's graduates and the ignorant thinking all together. By the way, I am a Director of a post-secondary education unit with the state of Alabama and it doesn't take a rcoket-scientist to know that right is right and wrong is wrong. I would dare not work for or attend an institution that would treat its students in such a manner. Not only is it unfair and unethical, I am almost certain that it is illegal. I will soon find out. I will keep you posted.
 28th of Sep, 2009 by   sammyboy21 +2 Votes
Ashford is a subsidary of a publicly traded company called Bridgepoint. "BPI" is their stock exchange symbol. They don't care about the students, they care about making money. They are currently under investigation by the Dept. of Education, Office of Inspector General ("OIG"). BPI's recent 8k report filed with the SEC on Sept. 11, 2009 http://biz.yahoo.com/e/090911/bpi8-k.html acknowledges this investigation and states in part:
The OIG preliminarily identified the following areas of noncompliance:

1. compensaton policies and practices with respect to enrollment

2. calculation of returns of Title IV program funds (e.g. student loans)

3. timeliness of returns of Title IV program funds

4. student authorizations to retain credit balances;

5. disbursements of unearned Title IV program funds; and

6. maintenance of supporting documentation for students' leaves of absence.

Any students having problems with Ashford might want to contact the OIG and see if they can't help them get refunds.
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by   gtguy79 0 Votes
What bank does Ashford use when issuing Stipend check refunds?
 29th of Oct, 2009 by   TheRealDeal29 +1 Votes
To all readers:

I myself have had tons of problems with the school. With evidence that I have provided, the Department of Education is currently investigating both Ashford University and Bridgepoint Education for fraud and falsification of evidence. DO NOT ATTEND!!! YOU COULD BE OUT TONS OF MONEY DUE TO THE SCHOOL POTENTIALLY LOSING ACCREDITATION!!!
 2nd of Nov, 2009 by   Pissedoffamerican87 +1 Votes
I just want to first state that it is somewhat of a relief to find I am not alone in this...Although this is probably the most stressful B.S all of you are going through like me, it is comforting to know that this is not something I was doing. For awhile I thought I was going insane lol they made me feel like I was not taking care of my business when in fact I was dealing more with their billing department and financial advisors than actual academic school work. I am a hard working blue collar guy, and after the economy went to crap I decided to go back to school. I made the mistake with not looking into all of my options when it came to which school to attend but at the time I just thought it did not matter, a degree is a degree. So this woman contacted me from Ashford and basically recruited me making me all kinds of promises that I will be able to go to school and not have to pay anything until I was out. I believed her and began my classes and everything seemed great! I was back in school, doing really well in school, and on my way to getting my degree and working on providing a better life for my family...so I thought. The financial advisor started dicking my around telling me my financial information was not completed and sent me forms to fill out and send back to him. After sending him my information at least 6 or 7 times, I started getting worried when he continued to tell me he never got it or it was not complete...which it was, and tried contacting my student advisor or whatever the hell she claims to be. She told me not to worry, that she was going to take care of all of it and that I would be able to continue going to school without any problems. Then one day, she stopped all communication with me. I would leave her messages, send her emails, and never get any responses. I, being a pretty hot headed guy, called her out and demanded to know what the hell was going on and she actually contacted me back claiming that I was out of line and she has never been spoken to like that by anyone and was deeply offended because I basically said she was not doing her job. I then tried to be civil and apologized and explained that this is important because I literally had nothing and was working hard to try and gain my degree and was frustrated with all of the hoops I had been jumping through only to get nowhere. She then told me some hilarious B.S about how she had great news, that I was going to be able to keep going to school without having to pay until I was done with college thanks to Obama and some new bill he passed. That was the last I heard from her. That is when I got kicked out of the program because I owed a sum of 5 grand and needed to pay up before I could continue. Sneaky... As of yesterday, I received a call from a guy in the collections department stating that I had 10 days to come up with 5 thousand dollars or they would add a 33.33% interest rate on the amount owed and I would be reported to a collection agency and they would destroy my credit. How can any of this be happening? Since when does it become right to try and ruin someone trying to get an education? I have nothing! I was laid off from my job 8 months ago and unable to find work. I am enlisting in the military so I can have a steady income to finally pay my bills. It's not right...I as an American am sick of being stepped on by crooked sons of bitches in this country such as these people. If anyone going through my same situation can help, maybe give me some advice, I would be extremely grateful.
 2nd of Nov, 2009 by   Pissedoffamerican87 +1 Votes
Just to add to this...I have attended a university prior to this. My fiance has attended a few others. I have never dealt with this nor have I known anyone else who have gotten screwed like we are...These guys on here telling us that we need to "do our homework" need to make sure they themselves are not getting screwed because I have definitely "done my damn homework, " and could not agree more with Ambitious Educator. If you think that this is all a joke than why the hell do you feel the need to chime in? Do you think I'm doing this for my amusement? Maybe it is you who needs to do your homework because you don't sound like you have a clue as to what your talking about...or...if you do, tell me what the hell I need to do buddy ol pal because you seem to have all the damn answers and I'm sick of getting screwed...What a joke
 3rd of Nov, 2009 by   Bosslady +1 Votes
By the way if anyone is having problems with Ashford contact the Board of Education.
 3rd of Nov, 2009 by   Bosslady +1 Votes
Does anyone here want to get a Class Action Lawsuit started against Ashford?????
 5th of Nov, 2009 by   recdirector +1 Votes
Yeh I will go into this later.
 5th of Nov, 2009 by   recdirector +1 Votes
Yes, having similar issues with number of credits to get degree, how funds are dispersed,
staff who deny, delay, disappear and never respond. I am frustrated and very disturbed to
find out this school is as fraudulent as Phoenix Univ. I was mislead, lied to, deceived,
and now found out I will be in default at sometime because of their neglience, deceit and
profiteering at the expense of simply trying to get an education. They take unfar advantage of
working people who can't attend ordinary classes and need the degree. It shameful and
conscienceless. How was Ashford reported to the Dept of Education? How can you find out
if they have serious violations and what steps will be taken to make restitution?
 5th of Nov, 2009 by   Bosslady +1 Votes
I contacted then Board of Education at http://www.doe.nv.gov/BoardOfEd.html and I also contacted FSA Ombudsman at octsrply@ed.gov. That is who does the financial aid. I have been put through the ringer for a year telling me yeah we have your financial aid and come to find out they never received anything and I ended up having to fill out everything all over again and by the time they told me to do that it was a new academic year and my financial aid would not cover my past year. So now I owe that piece of crap school 6, 000+. I hope you can get help with your situation. I incourage anyone looking to go to school, that you go to your own hometown school. Community College or University. That is what the lady at the Board of Education told me. Stay away from any online university
 27th of Nov, 2009 by   TheRealDeal29 +1 Votes
Bosslady,

I would love to start a class action suit against Ashford. I am in possession of irrefutable evidence that they have directly tampered with evidence regarding my student file. How can we get the ball rolling?

The Coming 1099 Tsunami