logo

4. (39 mins ago)
dishonesty
5. (43 mins ago)
Spa de Soleil
Cheap product, bad customer service

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Aristokraft Kitchen Cabinets Complaints & Reviews - 3-year old Aristokraft kitchen cabinets ruined!

MasterBrand Cabinets Inc. Contacts & Informations

Aristokraft Kitchen Cabinets

Posted:    Valerie

3-year old Aristokraft kitchen cabinets ruined!

No one cares, and no one is willing to help me in a timely manner. I recently repainted my kitchen with its nearly new Aristokraft kitchen cabinets (less than 3 years old). To mask, I purchased Scott's painters tape at Home Depot. When we pulled the tape off, off came the finish from the sides of 8 kitchen cabinets. I now have a kitchen full of cabinets that have at least an 1" streak of missing "paper veneer" that apparently is used to cover the sides of all kitchen cabinets. Nothing is solid wood anymore.

I went back and read the little tiny print on the tape, and while it doesn't say anything about veneer, it does say not to use on wood floors~ It also clearly states that it is not liable for any damage resulting from its product.

Aristocraft's corporate customer service person rudely referred me to the store (Seigel's, now Stock Cabinet Company) where I purchased them. The "service rep" at Aristocraft told me she could not give me any information on "what color stain" I should buy) since that was an industry secret. She said the only thing I could do was to purchase a repair kit from them (which I am willing to do but she said it needed to be ordered through a store and that I could not receive it within two days). Also, it is something that is not stocked by anyone. One of the sales staff at Seigel's gave me the name and phone # of the regional sales rep, who was actually very service-oriented and offered to come look at them (I am selling the house and the new people are taking possession on Saturday); he went onto tell me that this is a common complaint, and that it was impossible to stain the missing pieces since this is just a thin paper and that the material underneath is just particular board which wouldn't take the stain. He also thought perhaps ordering "skins" was an option. Unfortunately, he called me back yesterday afternoon to say he didn't get a chance to stop by, but was hopeful he could make it on Friday. That gives me exactly one day to figure out what to do.

Even though Aristokraft guarantees its cabinets for 5 years, apparently the sides are not guaranteed!!!

I am very unhappy with not only the cabinets themselves but with the attitude of nearly everyone involved other than the regional sales rep. I would warn everybody about purchase cabinets that have this thin veneer coating on the side (the doors are solid) and to use caution when masking for painting purposes. I have previously purchased painters tape at Sherwin Williams and never had any kind of problem, even when used on these same kitchen cabinets 6 months ago. Whether my problem was buying flimsy cabinets (although not cheap) or buying tape that perhaps had sat on the shelf too long, I would hope that others could learn from my experience.
Comments United States Furniture
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Mar, 2010 by   A satisfied Aristokraft customer 0 Votes
You should be able to purchase a sheet of 1/4 wood paneling from Aristokraft (stained to match your cabinets) and then have someone cut the plywood paneling to size and install it over the damaged paper sides. Generally the fronts of the cabinets are wider than than the sides to allow for installation of the plywood paneling.
 18th of May, 2011 by   A HAPPY Aristokraft Customer 0 Votes
I purchased an aristokraft kitchen over a year ago and I haven't had a problem at all. It's been threw 2 paint jobs now and I haven't had any peeling from edging mine off.
Now from personal exprience & as a interior designer. Veneer will peel if you have any sort of heat exposed to it long enough or tape to it long enough. Same goes for tape on walls.
Since I also sell aristokraft cabinetry, Their cabinet brochure cleary states that the box has plywood sides with a finished veneer!
So maybe you just didn't read enough of the brochure or ask enough questions when making a decent size purchase!!

How to Avoid Healthcare Fraud