logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Igor Kasbar took all my money
Igor Kasbar stole my money
2. (1 mins ago)
Indian Postal and Customs Department
Non delivery of Registered Parcel from US
3. (3 mins ago)
I got my Idaho Birth Certificate, Social Security Card, Idaho Driver's License and my U.S Passport from pobama25@europe.com
4. (7 mins ago)
Datehookup.com Address And Telephone Number

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Archives.com Complaints & Reviews - Simple low class scam by losers who depend on the user not reading the terms and conditions

Archives.com Contacts & Informations

Archives.com

Posted:    Justole

Archives.com
archives.com
First, they say FREE. So why does FREE require a credit Card? Next, they TRICK you into going through several steps/screens and then bam: no results unless you give them credit card information to see the results of the FREE query. Simple low class scam by losers who depend on the user not reading the terms and conditions and failing to CANCE the Service... these folds are depending on ripping off unsuspecting folks...
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Nov, 2010 by   ImaMom2 0 Votes
I agree! I did read all the fine print and all that stuff. I understood they were going to charge me after 7 free days so what do I do? I cancel 5 mins later. I tried to cancel my membership on the website 9 times and after every time it just said it was cancelled no confirm # or email but I figured since I did it 9 times and it told me 9 times it was cancelled that I could guess it was cancelled. WRONG! They never cancelled it. After that I went through the same cancel process and it cancelled that time with a confirm email. Like WTF? There is no number for them. My bank can't find one and the only one that paypal has for them does not work. You call it and it automatically hangs up on you. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM!!!
 22nd of Nov, 2010 by   vjancuk 0 Votes
How do I cancel? Same thing happened to me. My 7 days passed and I havent been able to cancel!!! What do I have to do?! Please email me at vjancuk@gmail.com
 7th of Dec, 2010 by   daveracer 0 Votes
I agree with the above complaint. I can't cancel since there seems to be no way to do that. I'm calling Amex now to report this and to request they do not honor the billing.
 22nd of Dec, 2010 by   NavigatorOfSupport 0 Votes
It may seem counter intuitive that a ‘free’ trial requires a credit card. Our free trial provides full access to all
the services of our site.

Entering into a free trial you agree to the same terms and condition of our site as you would being a member. Our terms state that a member would not enter into a relationship with our company without the intent to pay for those services. To ensure that intent is valid and that a transition into a paying membership is viable and smooth we require a valid credit card upon sign up for the free trial.

When we accept your credit card a $1 authorization is done against the card to validate the use of the card. This authorization is immediately voided and our company never receives or collects this money from your financial institution. Your card would not be accessed again until the end of the 7 days. If a cancellation is completed online before that your card would not be charged for the membership.

As far as canceling you can do so online in the Help Center under managing your subscriptions, a confirmation email is sent after successful cancelation as confirmation. You can also cancel by sending an email through our Contact Us links or sending one directly to Support@Archives.com. Our number is posted on the terms and conditions and is passed with every credit card transaction we process to the financial institution.

Thousands of people daily find the site and enroll in free trials. I apologize that your experience did not meet expectations. We do offer very upfront and easy ways to cancel the trial membership. We are also one of the most affordable family history sites available.

Sincerely,
Michelle Steinbeck
Director Member Services
 5th of Jan, 2011 by   Tired scams 0 Votes
Total scam. Did a search on the first page and bam got a hit and of course when I tried to look at it, it says I have to pay to look the the "free" results. I pony up the money and try the exact same search, guess what--no results. Why does it say a hit up front, then when you pay for it it has no records.
 7th of Jan, 2011 by   Broke Mama Bear +1 Votes
Not good! Basically a useless site that says they have information and then produces nothing after several searches. But they get you up front leading you to believe they have info. Just a bad way of doing business stick with the real sites that don't take your money before they tell you what you're looking for. Yes they do have a phone number but you really have to track it down. I had to call through three times before my call went though to someone without the line going dead. They were friendly and cancelled my year subscription but I did get charged the $39 just like everyone else and I have the use of the site for a year! BIG DEAL! I won't be using it.
 21st of Jan, 2011 by   Cooldivide +1 Votes
Their phone number is 888-455-2791.
 21st of Jan, 2011 by   The Silver Surfer 0 Votes
You have to call your bank/credit card company and stop payment/refund and have them give you a new card with a new number and let them deal with their bank. PERIOD.
 8th of Feb, 2011 by   bdevol 0 Votes
i agree the same thing happened to me . didnt get any info i was looking for so i canceled and they charged me anyway. and no phone number to reach them. how convenient for them. im reporting them.
 6th of Mar, 2011 by   TRUSTISKEY 0 Votes
SCAM!SCAM!SCAM! =SCAM It shows that it has the info your looking for and then after you become a member, IT MAGICALLY DISAPEARS!!! WHY ISNT THIS STOPPED. These people should have their tounges cut off, to remind them to tell the truth!!! This is one reason why I HATE TECH., their to affaid to try and con us in person!
 10th of Mar, 2011 by   Lisa Hagen 0 Votes
Same thing happened to me. Tried to cancel several times, received no email to confirm the confirmation then 7 days later my PayPal was charged. If they try to take any more PayPal has been authorized to refuse any future payments to them, but it sounds like they are completely a scam.
Now it seems that their site is completely inaccessible, maybe someone finally took legal actions!
 13th of Mar, 2011 by   GTJ 0 Votes
I was interested as well, but hesitated to give my credit card number without knowing the yearly cost after the so-called free 7-day trial. Got a nice e-mail back from them, but they didn't answer my question. I wrote a second e-mail again asking for the subscription cost. Again, I got a return e-mail and was informed that because of various promotions, they could not give me a specific price. I could almost smell the fishiness through my monitor. Stay away from this bunch!!!
 14th of Mar, 2011 by   j.stiles 0 Votes
I got on this site also.like an idiot i gave up the credit card #, viewed the site for several minutes and decided it was worthless and imidiatly canceled, but i too was also charged.going to call my credit card company and have it stopped/removed.
 14th of Mar, 2011 by   Fancy fox 0 Votes
("What Now? We've kept your username and password active so that you can return to your account interface at any time. When you return, you can renew your membership plan for 1 year. (Sorry, only one free trial per household.)" THIS IS THE KICKER RIGHT HERE!! They keep your username and password ACTIVE, even AFTER the $1.00-free week. In other words, because they show you active after the free trial, they can go ahead and bill you for the yearly membership. And they prevent you from cancelling so that they can say they never received the cancellation form...SCAM! So MS. Michelle Steinbeck, Director Member Services. Cancellation mean CANCEL ALL AND EVERYTHING WITH THE ACCOUNTS, NOTHING IS TO BE KEPT "ACTIVE". AND please cancel immediately just like you immediately took my dollar for the "free" trial. THANK GOD I cancelled my card the day after I joined. It had no money on it anyway...oh yeah it did have a dollar on it :)
 22nd of May, 2011 by   Domenica 0 Votes
Please help. I cancelled within 2 hours and now have a charge on my account for 39.99. How do I get this charge cancelled? I will be contacting my bank in the morning. This was a total rip off. Who else can I contact about this? Knew when they asked for credit card into it was wrong but let myself be scammed anyway. How can they stay in business?
 22nd of May, 2011 by   immodest 0 Votes
Domenica, read the terms and conditions, the cancellation policy is spelled out in it. In the meantime, do dispute the charge with your bank.
 5th of Jul, 2011 by   Dee2275 +1 Votes
I cancelled next day, just read my bank statement...scammed for $39.00! Calling the bank and BBB, will do more checking who else I can call to help end this!
 27th of Jul, 2011 by   fred farkle 0 Votes
Same story, different day. They reluctantly returned the 59.95 that was in the contract, but not the unknown 39.95. After 5 minutes on their site I realized it was a scam. I have been doing genealogy work for 20 years. I tested their sight by using someone from my family that was very famous in history. Guess what, no infomation was available for that person. There is more info. available for free on the internet, than on their site. No results were achieved by talking to a human on the phone either. Please be very wary of any offer with the word "free" in it. Hopefully enough people will complain and get these guys out of business. I have the utmost disrespect for scam artists like these people. I consider it a lesson learned the hard way.
 14th of Sep, 2011 by   Jannakay 0 Votes
Same thing happened to me with Ancestry.com. No results after paying for membership. Not sure why because a few years ago this is where I found a lot of information in my genealogy research. What happened to all those records? Whats wrong with their search engines???? Anybody got a clue??? I know for a fact that 6 years ago the info was there, now its not! Im afraid to try Archives now either after reading all of this! Director of Archives can you explain this???
 16th of Sep, 2011 by   bethperron 0 Votes
this company is a total scam...scam they should go to jail..free means measleading customers...I ve they got me over $400.00 they are all crook, I think everyone should get a law suit against them..I will not rest until I get my money back, I'm going to write the media as well and the consumer. they debit your account and they dont even give you any informations!!! all they want is your credit card . they robbed people, so beware guys...watch out... they are crooked!!!

Avoid Work-At-Home Scams!