logo

Piece of Junk

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

APS, Phoenix, Arizona Complaints & Reviews - Power Shut Off when bill was current

APS Contacts & Informations

APS

Posted:    DaveRB

Power Shut Off when bill was current

Arizona Public Service
Phoenix, Arizona
aps.com
My Brother passed away in March, 2009 and I assumed responsability for his property in Phoenix. I was late on a payment of $17.49 June, I sent a payment of $50.00 in July which more then brought the payment current. In Aug I sent another payment of $100.00 which gave me a credit of $70.00. APS still shut off power on September 1st because they said they now require $210.00 deposite to continue service. I asked how they came up with the $210.00 deposit amount and they said its two times the average bill. I then asked what my average bill is and they said $45.00. When I asked how they then could demand a $210.00 deposit they could not answer me. I do not understand how a public utility can cut off service when a bill is current. In Phoenix I would think that could cause a serious issue with public safety and health. Shame on APS and they should not be allowed to turn off any power when payments are current. Something needs to be done.
Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Sep, 2009 by   azguy 0 Votes
I agree 100%. I am going through the same thing right now. One of my bills was late becuse my banks auto pay didn't pay it when it was supposed to. APS requested a $335 deposit or they were going to shut off power. I immediately paid the late payment in full and signed up for APS's auto pay to avoid this in the future. I called APS to ensure that this was sufficient and ask them to forgive the deposit. They said that auto pay wasn'r good enough and I would have to sign up for "Sure Pay". I said fine and signed up for it. A few days later I recieve a letter saying that I need to cancel auto pay in order to sign up for sure pay. Nothing else was said about the deposit. The next day APS shows up on my doorstep with a notice that they are going to shut off my power in 2 days unless I pay the deposit. I then noticed that they charged me $15 to deliver this notice. Are you serious??? I think this is outright harassment. They are threatening to shut off my power on an account that is paid up after the APS rep told me that they wouldn't require the deposit after I signed up for their sure pay. There has got to be someone that can regulate their outrageous behavior and harassment!
 17th of Oct, 2009 by   cari arizona 0 Votes
I just got a bill after not running my air conditoner for a full month minus a couple of days it was 261 dollars I was floored I called right away and spoke with some jerk that told me the olny this I could do was to shut off my electric. So after taking his rudeness for forty five minutes I asked to talk to a supervisor with she said the same thing I could now go out to my meeter and read it from this point on despite that they just took my deposit of 250 dollars ( isnt that funny almost the same amount) I asked to get a daliy read and they said thay did not have that. So my question is how do they get away with this? they can put any amount down and you have to pay and you have no proof the saying should be you pay what we say.
 23rd of Oct, 2009 by   Anthony Chavez 0 Votes
As many can see APS has many unfair charges and billing practices that aren't justifiable. These threats of shutting off peoples power can endanger lives in the home. I hope to seek out a Class Action Suit, so please get involved when you see anything on this. Everybody that feels that APS has overcharged or billed unaccordingly with reckless disregard to peoples health, please get involed so a Governing body can take over and manage what they can not. More will come along with this suit.

Anthony Chavez
 19th of Jul, 2010 by   1 MAD MOM 0 Votes
APS... OUTRAGEOUS! I move into a house with my 4 children. Had my EX call APS to see what it would cost to have survive turned on.. They put him in the system as being a resident of the house. WHICH IS UNTRUE. He does NOT live here. They want a deposit of 475 dollars... I go down to pay that amount... They now are saying i have to pay my EX past due amount before i get service because in the system they show hes living here. I HAVE A LEASE AGREEMENT that says who lives in the home... It does not have my EX on the lease... They wont even accept a legal document. So in the end.. THEY are jerks and making me reliable for someone else's DEBT... I now will have no electric tomorrow until i can pay off his DEBT... i have 4 children one of which has kidney failure...! living in HOT PHOENIX MIND YOU... Thank you APS...
 23rd of Jul, 2010 by   nick martin 0 Votes
APS IS A JOKE. THEY PUT SOMEBODY ON MY ACCOUNT AND AUTHORIZED THEM AS A USER AND THEY HAVE SINCE TRIED TO STEAL MY IDENTITY. I CALLE APS AND THEY SAID THEY CAN ADD ANYONE TO ANYONES ACCOUNT AT ANYTIME WITHOUT AOUTHORIZATION. HUMMM ARE YOU KIDDING. THIS IS NOT LEGAL AT ALL. THEN THEY TRIED TO GET ME TO PAY THE BILL FOR THE IMPOSTER THAT WENT ON TO MY ACCOUNT. I SPOKE TO A SUPERVISOR WHO SAID SHE BELIEVES THE PERSON RESIDES AT MY HOUSE SO IM RESPOSIBLE.HUH AGAIN. THIS IS A LAWSUIT WAITNING TO HAPPEN. THEY ARE TURNING OFF MY POWER UNLESS I PAY THIS BILL FOR THIS OTHER PERSON. WHAT A JOKE AND I CANT TALK TO ANYBODY WITH A BRAIN
 5th of Oct, 2010 by   AK-27 0 Votes
APS, WTH!! I've always had SRP and have been happy with it, my husband and two children and myself had to unexpectedly move out of our residence due to a mold issue that the landlords didn't want to fix, so we find another rental, try to hook up APS and they want a $510 deposit! Are you kidding me? They say it's because it's the average of the highest bill from that home, well Im sorry why do I have to pay for someone else's average? So now, I'm stuck, I just forked out $1800 to move into this house so that my children don't get sick or brain damaged from black mold and now this? This cannot be right, how can they charge such extreme deposits? That's more than my stinken car payment! The lady was rude, she talked in slow motion like I had half a brain explaining to me figures that will never add up, I swear, somethings gotta be done about this! Now, I'm going to be stuck paying this deposit, they should come with a warning label. I HATE YOU APS. Does anyone know how to get around this or at least get it lowered?
 5th of Dec, 2010 by   Gabrielcaleb 0 Votes
Yep, long story short, I was late two times with paying my bill, they shut off my power because i didnt pay a $180.00 deposit i didnt know i was supposed to pay. The reason i didnt know? They were sending all correspondence to an address I hadn't lived at in 6 years that was 16 miles away. I dont even know how they got that address because I sure as hell didnt give it to them. I wonder how they figured they should send letters to a different address than where I signed up for service. Do they think I was running power from my apt in Scottsdale to the apt in Tempe? Retarded. Absolutely retarded. And I'm not getting it turned back on, so that's at least 4 months of revenue they can fuck themselves on.
 23rd of Dec, 2010 by   ElectricConsumer 0 Votes
If you were forced to pay someone elses debt in order to keep your current APS Service on, please email the complaint to electricconsumer@gmail.com if you would like to be involved in a potential suit
 13th of Jan, 2011 by   zooboo2011 +1 Votes
I was in an accident and my mom was staying w/ me for two weeks. She had to call APS for me, now they are saying that I have to pay her past due bill and my bill ( witch is current never been late ) by the 19th or my electric gets shut off. They said "its because my mom benefited from my electric and now you have to pay hers." Then I asked for a supervisor and they asked me if I had lived with her during the pass due bill, I said yes what does the have to do with the price of tea in china, and they said "well than you benefited from that electric so now your going to pay for it." You have got to be kidding me! I said there is no way it is legal to do this and that if they shut my stuff off I would sue them. They just laughed and said it was perfectly legal for them to do it and there is nothing I can do about it. APS is nothing but scammers!!!
 28th of Feb, 2011 by   azcatheat 0 Votes
I just moved back to the valley after being away for over three years. I moved into a rental, which has APS for service. They stated that I was responsible for a bill at a previous address which came out to $435.00. I of course don't recall ever getting a bill like this and I asked nicely, to get a copy of this bill. They did in fact send it to me, and I had to research with my bank the payment history, which by the way takes time to get those documents. Yesterday, I got a bill in the mail for the past due amount and they have told me that if I don't pay this amount, they will shut off my current service. I would like to make some sort of payment arrangements with APS, as I have a small child in my home and I am a single parent with one income and based on these other complaints, I doubt they will. Here comes another complaint with the BBB and Arizona Attorney Generals office.
 17th of Feb, 2012 by   Christine McGovern 0 Votes
I also received a notice that i needed to pay a $310.00 deposit because my bill was late. i have had aps for over 10 years. Never, thank God had it shut off, but yes I have been late. My summer bills used to run $450.00 dollars a month. We don't get raises at all, so during those months we struggle and have to go short on other necessities. Can't always pay on time. I am just discussed with the company policy. This is the worst economic crisis in our history. Do they understand in Az you can;t live without air-conditioning. My 82 year old MOM lives with us. She couldn't survive. What are we to do. I don't have $300.00 for APS!!!
 31st of May, 2012 by   A.W. .. 0 Votes
They are giving me less than 7 days to come up with 455$ for a deposit - while I have only lived int his house for 4 months, I had lived in my previous home 7 years - and "simply" transfered accounts - they said if I did it within 10 days there would be no deposit required - now today - on my door is a hang tag demanding a deposit in the amount of $455 or on the 6th they will turn of my electric! What The H&LL - my bill wasn't even DUE until today - so I go down in person - oh no too bad we don't deal with that - pay up, or loose your electricity. Period - Its called extortion folks - plain and simple - and if SRP serviced this area I would have switched in a heartbeat - but they do not - so it is a complete monopoly and extortion - I have a choice either pay my rent OR pay this deposit - hmm gee... let me think - EXCEPT that I just PAID my rent, being the good person and paying it on time. Oh - and my bill amount is only $146! These people are thieves of the worst degree!
 13th of Aug, 2012 by   katie and nathan smith 0 Votes
well we have a problem with aps to see my husband and i had the sad thing happen last august my dad passed away then 5 days before christmas my mom passed away we were living in the house with them helping to take care of them so the house is then mine now so we tried to get everything switched over in with cox, water then aps. well because dad had a balance due of like 450.00 they are threating to turn us off and tacked on a 1, 200.00 charge because we do not qualifty for the equalizer program dad was on well we have till the 17th to pay the past due amount of 450.00 or we loose electricty however the water company as well as cox did not do this they want the remaining by the 5th of sept my husband just got laid off and i am not in the will as power of attorny and in arizona its hot and i dont think they can turn us off i am not responsiable for my dads debt when hes dead i am very upset and angry
 12th of Sep, 2012 by   cosmicb +1 Votes
Why doesn't a group of people join forces and file a suit against APS?
 12th of Sep, 2012 by   cosmicb +1 Votes
Why doesn't people join forces for a class action lawsuit against these guys?
 29th of Dec, 2012 by   TAKING NO MORE +1 Votes
This Company is the biggest scamming Rip off company I have ever seen or heard of in my life!!, I am surprised after all the complaints and sick disgusting tactics they pull, THEY ARE STILL OPERATING THE WAY THEY DO?. (MONEY TALKS FOR SURE) somehow we are always wrong with their BS ignorant explanations, which I might add THAT their ignorant staff NEVER KNOWS WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT!!. I WAS SHUT OFF IN THE MONTH OF OCTOBER THREE TIMES !, AFTER PAYING EXACTLY WHAT THEY HAD TOLD ME TO PAY, THAT IS RIGHT, I SAID 3 TIMES!!., an illiterate A- hole made a $40 MISTAKE WHICH SPIRALED ME INTO LATE FEES, RECONNECTION FEES, A SECOND SECURITY DEPOSIT, ECT...(NEVER HEARD OF THAT ), THE NEXT MONTH UPFRONT?.(HOWEVER THEY COULD SEE THE FUTURE OF THAT ONE) AND WHATEVER OTHER BS CRAP THEY COULD COME UP WITH?. . TOTALING $1300 IN 36 DAYS FOR A $400 BILL BY THE TIME I WAS DONE WITH THEIR THREATS AND BS POLICIES.. THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS!. LYRES, AND SCUM BAGS! AND SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO CONDUCT THIS TYPE OF PUBLIC SERVICE WE ARE ALL BEING OVER CHARGED AND RIPPED OFF FOR!!. AFTER ALL THAT, I FINALLY TOLD ONE OF THE SUPERVISOR I FEEL LIKE TAKING THIS BILL AND SHOVING IT DOWN HIS THROAT ALONG WITH THE LIES THAT CAME WITH IT ALL, (THEIR TOUGH BEHIND THE PHONE ), NEEDLESS TO SAY THEY HAD THE SHERIFFS AT MY DOOR, 3 TIMES IN 2 WEEKS BECAUSE THEY SAID THEY WERE IN FEAR OF THEIR LIVES?. REALLY?..EVEN THE SHERIFFS THOUGHT IT WAS A LITTLE RIDICULOUS...THEY ARE LUCKY THATS ALL THEY ARE RECEIVING FROM PEOPLE FOR HOW THEY TREAT ALL OF US!. WE HAVE HAD THIS A-HOLE COMPANY FOR 5 YEARS NOW, AND IT HAS BEEN UNBEARABLE WITH THESE THIEVES IN THIS LAST YEAR!!. ANYONE KNOW IF THESE CLOWNS ARE PAYING OFF A LARGE LAWSUIT AND WERE ALL GETTING THE BILL FOR IT??. BBB COMPLAINT, CHANNEL 3 NEWS, AND A LAWSUIT, HERE WE COME!!!...
 18th of Mar, 2013 by   Marsbars 0 Votes
How long can this modern day mafia retain my deposit of $500.00 and keep making interest from it? Also do we get the interest and or why do they not apply this interest towards your bill. They're going to get the money anyway (right)!
Really = How long can this modern day mafia retain my deposit of $500.00 before they have to by law give it back?
 27th of May, 2013 by   Mommyrainicorn 0 Votes
These people are fucking ridiculous. I am a single mom of 2 just out of a domestic violence relationship. I move into an apartment, pay their ludicrous $500 deposit (even though I had spotless history with them for 7 years in the house I had to leave), and 2 days later they come in and turn off my power. With a 2 year old and a newborn in the home. There reason? The previous tenant owes them $992!! I called their customer service and they said they believe that I am responsible for it because my lease started 2 days before I turned on power (I was moving out of a DV shelter) and the previous tenant never terminated service, so those 2 days of my lease that I wasn't even there were supposedly in the previous tenants dime. So somehow we benefited from the $992 worth of electricity when we didn't even live there yet. Wtf!!? How is that even legal?
 24th of Jun, 2013 by   Wendell Goode 0 Votes
I am supposed to be on Autopay with APS. Some months it is paid, some months it is not paid. I go to my online account with APS when I don't see a bill and find I am overdue! I call APS (in Globe) and they tell me I'm not on autopay, BS. I wonder why Autopay was working the last two months but I'm not on Autopay? An APS truck was pulled up in front of our house about 2 yrs. ago. The man was to deliver a shut-off notice. I told him we were on Autopay. He was not surprised, he says he sees it daily when people sigh up for Autopay they get shutoff. I went to the office and was told they did not send anyone to our address, he was in an APS truck, an APS uniform with his ID prominently displayed. We ensured we were signed up for Autopay right in the office. A couple months later, bill is late, they say we didn't sign up for Autopay. We have signed up 4 times now. I'm certain we'll be getting late notices again.
 25th of Sep, 2013 by   Need a new electric company 0 Votes
Just moved to surprise, az from New York, power went out called aps to see what was going on they told me it's because I am 2 days late on the 175.00 deposit??? Have 2 small children so I must pay them to turn service on. How do these people sleep at night, 2 days late no power?

ATM Fraud Costs One Man 24000$