logo

Unauthorized Charges

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Applicant Tree aka Career Network Complaints & Reviews - Scam- false advertising

Applicant Tree aka Career Network Contacts & Informations

Applicant Tree aka Career Network

Posted: 2011-03-12 by    consumerb

Scam- false advertising

I was responding to an employment ad on a job board for an administrative assistant position with the American Red Cross, and a minute after I finished filling in the form and including my resume, I was prompted to call a number for a quick interview which I did. That is when I realized that this was a scam- the interviewer was asking questions like " do I want to get more career education"? I asked if this was for a position with the American Red Cross and the interviewer couldn't answer that. I did my research into this company and it is a scam!!! The owner of the co. is an excon that went to jail years ago for this kind of fraud. He makes money by signing people up for career programs with fly-by- night -schools. Beware! If you become a victim like I did, contact the Federal Trade Commission and make a consumer report.
Comments United States Employment, Staffing, Recruiting Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of May, 2011 by   canYOUsaySCAM +1 Votes
Pretty much same conversation with someone from applicant tree after rcving unwanted text message regarding a delivery drivers job. Text said to call 866-825-5509 regarding job. When you call they answer Applicant Tree and stated I could be pre-qualified for job positions they exclusively have or ways for me to better my education. Found many websites confirming this guy is ex convict for fraud pertaining to job scams he's run for years. I don't know where he is stealing the cell phone numbers from but its obviously one of these online job posting sites. Be careful, scam alert
 22nd of Jun, 2011 by   Text messages about jobs 0 Votes
Received a text message as well from 866-825-5509. I wondered if it was legitimate because all employers that I have dealt with do not leave text messages. It was also from 560-30. I just deleted the message as I thought that this had to be a scam and obviously from reading several posts it is a scam. It is kind of irritating because now I have to remember which websites I posted my resume on and remove then once I find a position.
 21st of Jul, 2011 by   oprlvr68 +1 Votes
Pretty much ANY position (if you take the time to read the *fine print) that promises an unusual high rate of pay for a generally lower-scale "job" (general clerical - ditch digging - cashier), IS Red Flag. And I opened the link simply out of curiosity. It always amuses me the legit-looking "job" emails, I receive. But again, who doesn't receive these? Of course it's a scam: $18 per hour to type/file/fax/stuff envelopes? That job scam has been around since the mid-90's. Only a seriously naive job-seeker would fall for that (no offense to anyone.) Thank goodness, with today's technology, we have MANY methods of doing our own company investigating. Yeah, it's pitiful that we have to deal with con artists posting bogus job offers; but then, it's called Internet: open market. We just have to get smarter with our employment search.
 19th of Oct, 2011 by   gdelu 0 Votes
I seem to have recently fallen for the same scam (solicitation for so-salled educational institutions).
How do I get the calls to stop? And am I in danger of identity theft, or anything like that?
 8th of Dec, 2011 by   pachouly1956 +1 Votes
It is scam I answered an online ad for Maintenance Position, when I Googled the employer, I found that they had no such job or any affiliation with Applicant Tree.I contacted them to let them know that their name was being used.
I hope their Attorneys go after them.
 20th of Dec, 2011 by   Too old to be of value??? +2 Votes
Yep, I fell into their scam as well. Why is it that there are so many people out of work & we have so many vultures out there trying to drain the last ounce of blood out of us? What has happened to humanity?
Good luck yo all you job seekers out there. I've been looking for something for almost 3 years. Age makes a huge difference. I'm 63.
 5th of Jan, 2012 by   KMQ 0 Votes
Thank you guys so much for this information. I too was texted by this company when I applied for employment through Salary.com.
After speeking with the lady concerning a job that I applied for, she turned the conversation towards furthering my education. I stopped her right in her tracks and I immediately contacted the F.T.C. as well as Salary.com.
Have a safe and Blessed day.
 18th of Jan, 2012 by   smithm9 +1 Votes
My text from applicant tree referred to a job I had actually applied to. When I called the number "Bob" told me he needed to verify my information which could take 25 minutes. However, when I replied that I was not interested in further education the call ended after only 5 minutes or so. I was told that I would receive an email with a link to the company site. It never happened.
 20th of Jan, 2012 by   cincity62 +1 Votes
I too applied to a "job" posted by Applicant Tree and talked to "Bob". I figured I never would receive the "email" that he promised and I was right! I hope I don't have any problems from this scam, but just in case I will report this to the FTC.
 2nd of Mar, 2012 by   virginiajewls +2 Votes
I applied to a "benefit assistant" position online and after I filled in my demo info, the very next screen asked me to call 855-815-2690 for an interview (screening), so I did. "Sam" answered the phone, saying "hello, Julie!" I was a bit taken, shocked to say the least, as that was not only unprofessional, but eery. He told me it would take approximately 30 minutes for the call. He asked me to verify the info I had already given online, if I was looking for full or part time work, my highest education level, and if I had thought about continuing my education, in which I replied no. He then said I qualified for a free cell phone (what the hay?), in which I declined, and asked if I wanted to take an online survey in order to possibly win $500. Really? BTW, this call only took 5 mins, 6 secs...no where near the 30 mins he initially prepared me for. He also said he was going to send a link to complete the application for the position I wished to apply for, which I did receive an email, but it's to register with Applicant Tree. Of course, after reading all of this, I will not be filling it out and reporting it as well. It's just a shame that people will prey on those that honestly looking for work. We need jobs...not to waste another minute of our day!
 27th of Mar, 2012 by   Wildthing1 +1 Votes
I received a text message from an 866 number about a job with Home Depot which I did fill out an application for to work night shift, I called the number and a computerized voice came on and scheduled my interview. When I went to the interview the person who interviewed me knew nothing about me, he said he would look for my information. I found out a little later on that the position had been filed, I then filed out more applications and took down the names and numbers of the places and called one of them and they said the same thing that Home Depot did that they never received any information on me. Whoever is doing this needs to be put behind bars and never allowed computer access again so they will stop messing with peoples lives.
 20th of May, 2012 by   tricia755 0 Votes
I just saw a switchboard operator for Crown Hotel in White Plains(downtown)
They said that same thing about getting a degree instead regarding the Switchboard Operator job
what a terrible scam. Now there is alot of people that are unemployed right now. It is a real shame
we had people that would do something like this.Thank you so much for this information.
 17th of Jul, 2012 by   newstart +1 Votes
I too got a text that said to call in to further explain my resume (it was an "855" number this time). You could tell that it was just a call center; the live person that finally came on answered "application tree" ha ha, he couldn't even get the name right, and you could tell he was unsure because he was very hesitant. I hung up as soon as he got the name of the company wrong. Too bad, it sounded like a nice job.
 25th of Jul, 2012 by   Fair Harbor +1 Votes
Yes, I got the same thing - twice!! I first initially ignored it since it was a text, but curiousity got the best of me. I spoke with some guy with a heavy accent, and I could barely understand what he was saying. He said he would be sending me an email within the next 24 hours that I needed to verify (and mumbled something else that I couldn't understand.) He initially told me that this "interview" would last 30 minutes, but once I told him I already had a degree(s) and did not want to go back to school, the "interview" quickly ended.
 2nd of Aug, 2012 by   BBDQ 0 Votes
This is so sad. I wish I had read this before i spent so much time applying for jobs with them.
 2nd of Aug, 2012 by   Fair Harbor +1 Votes
By the way, as a follow-up to my post on July 25th, I never did get the email that he said he was going to send me. After further review, Applicant Tree seems like a legit company, do you think that someone else is using their identity?
 10th of Aug, 2012 by   fzr +1 Votes
I have been unemployed for 3 years and have used Applicant Tree and have received the same prompt to call immediately. It is definitely a SCAM! I thought I would give it one more try yesterday and got the prompt to call and the guy who answered the phone sounded like he was sitting at home watching the olympics. I have been told "you will receive a email in the next 24 hrs to complete the application process." I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED A EMAIL!!! SCAM SCAM SCAM!!! What can we do to get rid of these type of SCAMS that give people hope of finding a job? They are all linked to EMPLOYER-NETWORK.COM, which is a SCAM also.
 10th of Aug, 2012 by   Fair Harbor 0 Votes
Yes, I agree. What a complete waste of time and energy. Big sigh.
 11th of Aug, 2012 by   Kasey Kane -3 Votes
No scam. I called and they did offer me help and I'm actually enrolled in a University online because of them. I was laid off for 2 years and never got 1 interview. But once I put my education on my resume...I got 3 interviews and I now work full time. So I thank them for offering to help ME further MY education, to BETTER MYSELF!!! Like why wouldnt u want to gain knowlegede, challenge yourself and become a better role model anyway?? Besides, my friend is a recruiter & she told me that the first thing employers look at on a resume is education...NOT EXPERIENCE...BUT SCHOOLING! She's my friend and she couldnt find me a position becuz all I had was some college credits. Now dont get me wrong, I dont think its fair for employers to judge used baesd on books, cuz im a highly creative person and my talents are God given..so I decided to enroll for my own person reasons becuz im gonna be self employed someday. But for those of u who want to work for somebody else for the rest of your lives. I suggest u fill out your FASFA!
 11th of Aug, 2012 by   Fair Harbor +2 Votes
@ Kasey Kane
I am highly skeptical of your post for two reasons. One, I have a bachelors degree, plus some post-baccalaureate education, which is why I did not take up their offer for additional schooling, and they didn't do ANYTHING to get me a job. They didn't follow up with the email that they promised to send, NOTHING. Two, if you did receive an education, you need to go back and take some spelling lessons.

Tips to Consumers on Avoiding Online Diploma Scams