logo

Dish Network
Failure to deliver
4. (22 mins ago)
BAJY CO. LTD
I've yet to receive my order.
5. (29 mins ago)
EA The Sims 3
Customer Support

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Anytime Fitness, Parsippany, New Jersey Complaints & Reviews - Cancel Membership

Anytime Fitness Contacts & Informations

Anytime Fitness

Posted:    Can I cancel my membership?

Cancel Membership

Anytime Fitness
Parsippany, New Jersey
I signed up for a one year contract to Anytime Fitness in Parsippany, NJ. I became pregnant and my job transfered me from the Parsippany, nj location and was no longer able to continue membership. My contract ended in July but when I called to cancel they said I signed up for automatic renewal and sent a letter to cancel. It is December and they continue to with draw money from my account every month since July now they are charging me twice a month. I am still trying to cancel my membership. When you join this gym beware when you are ready to cancel it will not be easy. I would not recommend this fitness center to anyone.
Comments United States Fitness Centers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Dec, 2008 by   Bob Messinger -1 Votes
I am the owner of this particular Anytime Fitness Center, and I wish to dispute this member's accusations. This member did, in fact, sign up for an automatic renewal. We honor cancellation of all automatic renewals with a 30-day written notice, per the terms of our membership agreement as approved by the State Attorney General's Office, and we keep records of such. Also, per the terms of her membership, all she had to do to cancel her membership at any time was to provide written notice of her move or medical condition, along with documentation of such, per terms of her agreement with us. We do this for members every day without complaint, as we stringently adhere to all New Jersey state laws regarding cancellations, and we keep strict records showing such. We are very careful to verbally explain how to cancel an automatic renewal at the start of every membership as well as the steps needed to cancel for other reasons. This member, however, did not supply the letter and the documentation required per her contract. All this member had to do was to follow the cancellation procedures outlined in her contract and as explained to her, and her cancellation would have been immediately processed, as we have done for scores of other members who adhere to their contract terms. As far as being charged twice in one month, there was an error which affected 19 of our members as we switched from one financial collection company to another. Our members were informed of this error, and their double charges were reversed within two business days. Regarding her allegation that she is still trying to cancel, her membership was cancelled the moment she provided what we asked her for. I truly resent this member's accusations. My wife and I opened this facility because we don't like the way most gyms treat their members. We do all we can to make our members happy and comfortable. We treat them as human beings, not as numbers the way most gyms do. The only thing we ask is that they live up to the terms of their membership agreements, which includes following the proper procedures for cancellation. We honor all valid cancellation requests upon receiving documentation. This member's discontent is the result of nothing more than her failure to live up to the terms of her agreement. When she finally did provide the documentation required, she demanded that I not charge her for several months that she did not use the gym "because it was in my power to do so." As most gym members know, they are required to pay dues whether or not they use the facility unless a freeze is requested. What this member does not know is that I was about to credit her account for several months until she rudely made her demand. Rather than take this disgruntled member's word, I urge anyone who is thinking of joining our gym to take advantage of our one-week free pass. You'll see how we explain all terms of the membership agreement upfront. And you'll get to ask our members how they feel about us. They'll tell you that Anytime Fitness is a great place to workout. Maybe even the best place to workout in the Parsippany area.
 18th of Dec, 2008 by   Bob Messinger -1 Votes
I just moved from the Parsippany area and had to cancel my membership at this gym. All I had to do was write them a quick note that I had moved and supply them with something that had my new address on it (I showed them the first page of my new lease). They cancelled my membership immediately, and they didn't even charge me the 10% cancellation fee that's in the contract. Anytime Fitness is great!
 18th of Dec, 2008 by   Bob Messinger -1 Votes
Please note that the above comment was entered via my account by member J.M. who came in to cancel as I was finishing my own comment, and she asked if she could post her own response.
 14th of Mar, 2009 by   AnytimeFitnesssSucks 0 Votes
I don't know about other any time fitness clubs but It was so difficult for me to cancel my membership. I went to the club to cancel but they gave me a business card to call this other place. I called but it wasn't business hours for that other place. Then I had to wait 3 days to call them (during their business hours) but a new month started and they charged me for that month. Luckily, I was on a month-to-month payment option BUT I was still cahrged for the NEW month even though I wanted to cancel my membership 3 days prior to the actual "new month"/ payment day. I don't suggest AnyTime fitness unless you're dedicated to stay at that club and enver plan on quitting.. EVER.
 4th of Apr, 2009 by   disgraced gym rat 0 Votes
On your contact you need to submit to the club a letter in writing canceling and I would do a certified letter that way someone has to sign for it. Also make a copy. This way you have proof of the date and time. Also if the owner/management of that club runs right you shouldnt have issues. Contact the home office since they are serious about complaints about the franchises.
 19th of Apr, 2009 by   AnytimeFitnessHater +2 Votes
The thought that you think you're in any way handling your customers in a legitimate way is disgusting. Any worth-while business is all about supporting the customers to enhance its public relations. Instead, Anytime Fitness decided to steal from any member not planning to spend the rest of their life at the gym. I hope this entire fraud of a corporation gets shut down forevor.
 25th of May, 2009 by   supersets2day 0 Votes
I have worked at health clubs for years. People do NOT read there contracts. You have to read what you are signing and ask the sales person to explain it to you if you don't understand. Most clubs do have a 30, 60, or 90 day period prior to your membership expiration that you have to contact them in writing if you want to cancel. I live near this ATF and have heard nothing but good things about this facility and the owners. I actually may join because I work at a different club chain in the area and I can't get a peaceful work out in anymore because they keep bugging me. Good luck owners and consumers, please read your paperwork!!!
 19th of Nov, 2009 by   Complaint should be removed. 0 Votes
Contracts are a 'no brainer'... Most every business has them in 1 form or another.

Our member Agreement we signed at joining was 1 simple page.

We are very happy with Anytime Fitness!
 30th of Dec, 2009 by   kinkaliciouslove +1 Votes
I am having trouble with Anytime fitness as well. My year contract was up, and the manager at my location said I would be month to month now. Well before moving to a different state, I had called the location to cancel, because I didn't have the money to pay for it, per no job. Well they proceed to say that they need a month in advance to cancel my membership. Now, why should we give a company a month in advance to cancel anything? When we want to cancel with the service, we should be granted that wish right away no questions asked. Why would I want to pay for another month of service when I don't even use your facility? I already go month to month, you should figure that when you call to cancel, you shouldnt have to pay for another month and waste your money when you're not even going to be using it.
 14th of Oct, 2010 by   d-bo -1 Votes
Why should you have to tell them why you want to cancel? I understand for feedback purposes but my reasons are MY business. If I go to a store and stop buying a particular brand of something (say napkins), I shouldn't have to tell the person at the register why I didn't pick up the usual brand. The whole "you still have to pay for an entire month even though you cancel" thins is pretty crappy. I'm over my 1 year and thinking about canceling. I've been reading about what I have to do.
 26th of Nov, 2010 by   James L B -1 Votes
I've been a member for over three years. I recently bought some home equipment so I figured it was time to cancel. I called ABC financial since they deal with cancellations. Once I got the rep on the phone she proceeds to tell me I need to submit a written notice of cancellation one month prior. Now why would I ever need to give you a notice after paying my initial year? Things like this only make it so I won't return to Anytime Fitness.

On the positive side ATF did give me a fixed rate from the time I signed up so I've been paying 29 dollars a month for use of everything at their facilities. Also the staff has always been helpful, and courteous.
 11th of Jan, 2011 by   michaeljordan44 0 Votes
I am currently stuck in the same predicament, I'm away from home and was told by the club that if I need to move back home for any reason I could cancel by showing proof of moving 25 miles away from an AF. Now ABC Financial is trying to add on a 50$ fee for canceling, even though I made sure there was no fee to cancel before i signed the contract. My contract and club both say that I won't receive a fee, however ABC says that I owe them 50$ and they have access to my account so I can't stop it.
 1st of Mar, 2011 by   jason in GA -1 Votes
Ask for a month-to-month membership! Here's a novel idea...Read the cancellation notes "prior" signing the contract and ask, "hey if i move, or get pregnant, or contract some illness...whatever may preclude you from attending that specific gym-find out specifically what you need to do. More often than not if you just keep them informed in person, you will be good to go! Most of these are independently owned and operated and word of mouth travels fast (good or bad).
Stupidity is not an affirmative defense people...read and ask questions!

Did you finance your annual membership? Anyone financing an annual membership is either stupid or just stupid! If you finance a car, house, etc, do you think you can just get out of it because you want to? You signed the papers, so you are responsibly obligated to honor that contract. If you never had to money to pay for your membership then why did you engage into a legal binding contract? Some of you just want everything free, makes me wonder how much jaw jacking you did in the gym vice that of working out to better you lifestyle!

Jason in GA
 6th of Apr, 2011 by   razor161 0 Votes
give me a break If I should want/need to cancel there is no reason to make me pay another month except to squeeze evey last cent they can. My gym is thinking of removing the bench press... if they do I will cancel and im quite certain I will pay no penalties I signed up to use specific equipment if they take it away I feel they broke th deal not me. It sounds like AF should work on custome relations. Do you really want this kind of word of mouth?
 27th of Aug, 2011 by   Stoney mountain 0 Votes
Well, I have been trying to cancel my membership for 3 months now. I was with them for over a year so I was month to month. I returned my key, called the number they provided me and sent a certified letter stating my desire to cancel. I'm still being charged. The whole business of their cancellation process is very shady and designed to squeeze every last cent from they customers. I finally decided to sue and i was awarded a decent sum of money. Long story short, it was a happy ending...for the good guy!
 27th of Aug, 2011 by   Stoney mountain 0 Votes
I went through their cancelations process and they are still taking money from my account. Don't sign the contract...it not worth it. Pay for a real gym, it will cost you the same in the long run and you'll have a lot more amenities. Or! Just do P90 x at home. This gum really sucks in hindsight...live and learn.
 27th of Aug, 2011 by   Stoney mountain 0 Votes
I do not recommend anytime fitness.
 7th of Sep, 2011 by   BurnInHEDoubleHockeySticks 0 Votes
I picked up an injury and Anytime Fitness refused to cancel my membership in person, over the phone (even after asking me all my security questions), via email, or in writing via mail. The only way they will accept is via Certified mail, and guess who goes through the hassle and has to pay the extra money for that.

They know I want to cancel and they are just using this ridiculous policy as a way of trying to stall me so they can keep drawing my money. I hate anytime fitness! There is no excuse for this policy, and don't give me that crap about reading the agreement. That is like the credit card companies putting tiny print in their 10 page agreements and then using predatory practices. This kind of thing should be outlawed.
 9th of Dec, 2011 by   Quickwitt -2 Votes
Nobody is out to get you... If you're having troubles with a company and a contract, act reasonably, follow the rules and be patient. In cases like the above, no one at ATF held a gun to your head and made you sign a legally binding contract. Yes, contract terms can be in depth, but guess what, that's what companies have to do to protect themselves from fraud and provide a service to a the customer that usually, when a contract is signed, provides the customer a better long term deal for their commitment, . Imagine a world where I can get out of any contract, at anytime, whenever you want, no hassle, no repercussion's. Then so should the company...that would lead to chaos all around. C'mon people... you act as if someone is really out to get YOU. Most of the owners of ATF locations are average people like you and I. They might make between 40-80k per year if they're lucky. Small businesses and their owners take all the risks, so they need secure income too, just like you and me.
 9th of Dec, 2011 by   disgraced gym rat 0 Votes
Quickwitt, I have never had a membership that did not ask for a canel in writting, I am sure it was in your contract, it is in mine... and think about it if you send it certified mail which is what $5? then atleast you know they received it. The other thing is I was reading my contract if you were injured you need to have a Dr's script to cancel the membership if you have permanent disabilty from your injury. I believe they can freeze your membership with the Dr's note..follow the rules. As far as stalling, I put that on you as all they ask for is certified mail with a 30 day cancel policy. And as far as a 10 page agreement mine is only the front page to fill out and the back to read, get over yourself and grow up. The policy is standard in the industry. Grow up.

Are You A Shopaholic?