logo

Amerigas
522 S Vermont St
Palatine, Illinois
Phone: 847 359 6450
Several months ago, I submitted a Request for Quote so that I could store and use bulk Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) on my industrial property. Since many of my applications are not demand heavy, I was having 20 lb. cylinders, 100 lb. cylinders, and the occasional lift truck cylinder filled at their plant while "waiting" for the plant manager to review the quotation that their salesman had written. I asked to purchase a grade 'T' hose to convey vapor to a handheld torch. The manager asked if I was going to leave the hose on the floor, or hang it on the wall. I have been consuming LPG, other fuel gasses, and many other compressed gasses for close to 20 years. I learn and practice multiple redundant safety precautions. Throughout my career, NOONE has sustained injury on my watch. When I explained that I would likely hang it on the wall as I do with my other hoses and cables, he told me that he "didn't even want to do business with me." Practically speaking, I don't know of a safer way to store such an item than to clean and inspect it as I neatly coil it before hanging it on the wall. I choose not to store hoses and cables on the floor, but perhaps it could be done safely under certain conditions.

I left several messages for him to call me. The call never came. My installation will be 100% compliant with NFPA 58. My site is already set to accept a compliant installation.

I am a disabled person. I sometimes use designated parking which requires either a placard or special license plate in the state where I live. Often, my placard sits upon the dashboard of whatever truck I drive. Some comments were made by the manager to various employees regarding the placard. There was some speculation expressed by him regarding what my disability may be comprised of. I had not used any durable medical equipment on his property or in his presence. I have all of my body parts and it has been said that I appear to be "normal." If he was curious about my disability, I'm not sure why he didn't simply ask me about it. It certainly does not compromise any safety factors as I use LPG or any other substance.

When I escalated the situation to his superior after his lack of response, I was told that Dave, his superior, would look into it. When I called Dave two days later, I was told that not only would they not set bulk storage tanks on my property, but that they would no longer sell product to me in any capacity. When I inquired about the reason, I was told that there were "safety concerns surrounding the site and the way things were piped." I asked how they were able to garner this information without ever setting foot on my property. I also explained that since the installation had not yet occurred, there was no piping in place. He maintained his position without providing an explanation. When I asked if it had anything to do with my disability placard, he became furious and hung up on me.

In summary, in order to avoid insult and injury, I would advise against ever using this company directly for any purpose. I have only ever used their LPG and I will continue to. They offer high quality product with a high level of purity. Over my career, it has worked well with my equipment. I have always purchased their product through distribution. I will continue to purchase in this manner.
Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Feb, 2011 by   AmeriGas Customer Service 0 Votes
Hi, my name is Fran and I work for AmeriGas. I’m sorry to hear about your issues with contacting our office and we would like to help you. Please send your account details to me at customerfirstfran@amerigas.com so we can promptly assist you. Thank you, Fran

How To Use Online Auctions Safely