logo

Nulexa
scam
5. (18 mins ago)
Bethea Jenner
Astrology and psychic rip off!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

American Senior Benefits, Traverse City, Michigan Complaints & Reviews - Job Scam

American Senior Benefits Contacts & Informations

American Senior Benefits

Posted: 2011-09-28 by    anonomous555

Job Scam

American Senior Benefits/AKA BANKERS LIFE!!!!
Traverse City, Michigan
I am so disgusted with companies today taking advantage of so many unemployed individuals looking desperately for a job. The latest scam I have unraveled is American Senior Benefits. I was interviewed years back by Bankers Life and Casualty, who sit you down in a room with several people, make it feel like you are singled out and then "selected" for a second interview. You then are told you will make lots of money. The kicker is that it is a commission-only position, driving all over using your own gas, and selling expensive life insurance, mostly preying on Seniors! Well their reputation must have gotten the best of them, (I have since worked for a much better company who sold higher-quality products) because I have spoke with people who have worked for them, and had nothing but negative things to say. So what did they do? They changed their name to American Senior Benefits! They even went as far as to move to a different office! I was invited to an interview this afternoon, and when I came into the room, I saw several people sitting down, anticipating an interview as well, all at the same table. On the board were names written: Shannon Nelson, and Ryan. These two guys were the main guys for Bankers! I immediately knew what was going on and needless to say, I did not stick around for the interview. I am hoping that other people who are looking for a job don't fall for this trick, and get sucked into this cult! Beware! And good luck to all of you honest-working people looking for a good job!!!
Comments United States Employers
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More American Senior Benefits complaints
American Senior Benefits - non payment of wages

Comments

3rd of Jan, 2012 by   Perci57 0 Votes
ah hah!!!, am glad I checked first online to see if there were any complaints about this company. Bankers Life would not stop CALLING me, back two years ago, moved and changed my number and I investigated them. No way was I getting involved, so now, a "Terry" called me on Monday, saying he had my "resume!" WTF from where, I was cautious, listened and he said they were company catering specifically to seniors and they were in the Merrill Lynch building on Grand View Parkway downtown Traverse City, MI 49684. He said I would be meeting with a "Ryan" just as you spoke of. I need a job so BAD, this is terrible, to be taking advantage of seniors and employees!!! There is just NO WORK in this town and there is BIG AGE DISCRIMINATION for people over 50 plus...I have been off since 2010, and after thousands of resumes sent in state and out, i maybe had 5 to 8 interviews, and I KNOW THAT MY AGE OF 54 is a big issue. Do not know what this town or world is coming too. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENT, as I was looking forward to going to the interview, and now just a big let down again!!! I know where they got my phone number again, off Monster, so will have to change that immediately, so anyone out there, BEWARE!!! Thanks again 555!!!
 15th of May, 2012 by   Speak your peace 0 Votes
Neither of you have any idea what you are talking about. It's true that most of our team started at Bankers, but it didn't take long to realize that one product line with a lower A.M. Best rating would not be in the best interest of the clients, mostly senior citizens. There is nothing at all similar between Bankers Life and ASB. At ASB, we have over 50+ A rated insurance companies that we can help seniors with. Ryan and Shannon are both good managers and good people. You are only hurting yourself by not interviewing. Go see for yourself, don't take some disgruntled agents word for it. What do you have to lose? You are unemployed, have the opportunity to help people rather than "scam" them as you say, and make a living at something worthwhile. You could continue to sit at home and keep judging people you know nothing about though, that will pay your bills nicely. The choice is yours.
 18th of Jul, 2012 by   Reality here 0 Votes
Ever wonder why you unemployed? Any prospective employer that reads your comments would never hirer you. Calling a company a scam that you know nothing about is serious liability issue for you. Plus there are many commission jobs that a very high paying jobs. And for your info, ASB has nothing to do with Bankers Life. Plus what scam or preying on seniors are you talking about? Be specific with your false allegations. The last thing people need to do is take advice from a unemployed loser such as yourself. If you are so sure about what you say, just put your real name and claim that American Senior Benefits is a scam and preys on seniors and see what happens. You are so off base that you look stupid. Commission jobs pay you what you are worth. You are worthless!
 13th of Mar, 2013 by   Dave from ASAB +1 Votes
I had a good laugh reading this post. I started out working for Bankers Life and was seriously disenchanted, even though the office I worked at wasn't nearly as bad as some I've heard of. I was there just under a year and learned quite a bit, most of it I've filed under "Do NOT let this happen to you." I was recruited by ASB and had a lot of questions when I went in to be interviewed. They had very good answers for all of them, so I decided to give it a try. 5 years later, it has continued to improve. The owners of the company are very honorable people and very involved with the management and agents. After being self-employed in retail for 30 years, ASB felt like being freed. I have the best products to offer at the best rates, I have competitive commissions and a lot of freedom. I also have all the support I need and no limit to how much I can make, plus very low overhead. It's just a matter of how hard I want to work and how much I can learn to become more effective at what I do. I see so many people these days who want to be paid a salary without accountability these days. If that's what you want, good luck finding it. This is not for you. If you want to use your brain and truly help people AND be well-compensated for it, we'd like to talk to you. As with any start-up business, you have to expect to take a few years to build a client base, but once you get things.rolling, there is no limit. I have worked my way up to Field Manager status and have several agents working under me. I am continually challenged and never know what will happen when I go out on appointments. Every day is different and I wake up excited to see what this day will bring. I’d like to close by saying that of the hundreds of people I have signed up as clients, I still have over 95% because they know that they have the best coverage at the best rates available today.
 17th of Jul, 2013 by   Gminnesota 0 Votes
The post from "anonomous555" has no basis in fact to support his complaint. The real fact is that ASB is most likely very happy that he did not work for them because he would have failed. Insurance is not for the weak or frail because it takes a lot of hard work, study and commitment in order to respresent ethical companies. ASB only hires ethical sales agents. I can understand why he has been unemployed for so long. Any good sales agent worth his/her salt can get hired; I know because I started with ASB at the age of 63.
 28th of Aug, 2013 by   GT911 0 Votes
Ok, lets be clear about a couple things. ASB and Bankers are two different companies although ASB is made of primarily of former Bankers employers. I was actually called three times by these jokers, I had my resume up but was currently employed. Additionally I have two co-workers that were briefly employed by ASB. "American Senior Benefits" is in absolute stain on the TC landscape, none of them are part of the community or take any part in local fund raisers, its impossible for them to sell locally so they send their agents to the other side of the state to dole out unstable policies to clueless seniors. They bring you into a room with a dozen other people and tell you how much money you can make!! Sounds exciting, then they have you write yes or no on a piece of paper and call you up and act as though you were "selected". The then tell you to essentially drop everything and attend an insurance licensing class that lasts a full week. You pay for the test yourself and if you pass your asked to start "work" the following day. This is where it gets interesting. You spend 12-14 hours 2-3 days a week cold calling setting up appointments with unaware seniors all over the state all under the guise of "helping" seniors. You travel all around michigan with a "Partner" Whom you supposedly split commissions with. Don't worry Your "partner" will make sure he submits all applications and business under his agent number so he gets all the commission renewals. The top agents here are word smiths and use clever lingo to try and keep the uneducated folk producing. You'll be asked if your ok with working 40 hours a week, naturally you'll agree but in reality you'll be working or traveling for over 12 hours a day plus saturdays too. I would have never went to the interview anyway but I'd rather get this info out there, the two people I work with are law enforcement officers and we joke about these guys all the time. The funniest thing is they actually call themselves professionals, last I checked professionals don't slander the unemployed via internet forums. I'm told the way that they refer to former employees in the office is far worse. ASB is the insurance equivalent of a puppy mill, with an above average turnover for an insurance agency. Is it a scam? You decide for yourself but at least know what your getting into.
 20th of Sep, 2013 by   Lou in Rockford, Michigan +1 Votes
Hey - I just found the following site... http://glisteningquiveringunderbelly.blogspot.com/ and there is very interesting stuff in there on the arrogant jerks who run the American Senior Benfits office in Traverse City, Michigan. Apparently the local Bankers Life and casualty office got shut down or something so these scammers opened up shop as an American Senior Benfits office. I'd avoid that place like the plague. When you get to above site simply search at the top for AMERICAN SENIOR BENEFITS (or Bankers Life)
 12th of Nov, 2013 by   GlassIsHalfFull 0 Votes
If you read the court case, the management that went from Bankers Life to ASB were disciplined for trying to take their clients to the new business. If Bankers works like ASB, and agents are independent contractors, this isn't such a strange action. If you had worked with clients over time, wouldn't you think to bring them over to your new location? Apparently, Bankers Life must have had something in the employee agreement that didn't allow this, because the final judgment found that the former employees couldn't contact Bankers Life clients for 2 years. This all seems a little blown out of proportion - if you read this carefully it looks like a fall out between a company and management (who knows why) and the management got in trouble for trying to keep their clients. Generally, clauses that prevent competition hurt us, the consumer, by limiting who we can go to for services. If you had someone managing your account for a period of time and were happy with the services, why wouldn't you want to switch to go where they go?

Secondly, I find it humorous that so many people are bashing on the working conditions. You'd find out very quickly if the job is or isn't for you, and could walk out the door. I used to slave away on political campaigns, 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week, and I found it incredibly invigorating. It wasn't for everyone, but the amount per hour I earned or the hours and hours on the phone never bothered me... I loved what I was doing! It certainly wasn't for everyone and it wasn't for me long term, but it was incredibly rewarding while I was there. People would probably say the same things about me...being unethical trying to trick people into voting for a politician. It never felt that way - I always felt like I was promoting the best person for the office. The point is, not everyone likes every job, but it isn't fair to lash out at someone because they happen to love something you don't.

Finally, I can understand the distrust of the insurance like business, I hate insurance companies. However, it is the system that is in place right now, so it is what it is. Is ASB really a scam or any worse than any other insurance company? The case brought against former Banker management doesn't show this. Almost every insurance company out there has unhappy customers. I don't think a viable argument has been made that they are any worse than the next...
 7th of Mar, 2014 by   LACSABA 0 Votes
This is a sales job. If you like sales and can handle it, try it. You will like it. If you don't like sales, go somewhere else. There is no guarantee but again no ceiling. You work as hard as you want for as much as you want. Good luck to all, whether you try this or not.

Online Pharmacy Scams