logo

Mis-sold energy contract & prices

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

American Red Cross, Springfield, Missouri Complaints & Reviews - Retaliation & Discrimination directed at volunteers

American Red Cross Contacts & Informations

American Red Cross

Posted:    Erich Groebe

Retaliation & Discrimination directed at volunteers

American Red Cross
N.W. Bypass & W. Division
Springfield, Missouri
Phone: 417-832-9500
As a full-time volunteer for over 4 years I was "fired" by e-mail within 24 hours of filing a complaint against another volunteer. The person whom I complained about had been seen representing The Chapters Military Services Unit at the 2010 Memorial Day Ceremony at The National Cemetery in Springfield, Mo despite his not even being a volunteer in that unit AND despite been told by me personally, as The Military Services Supervisor & Event Organizer, that he could NOT represent The Red Cross at the event. This volunteer had previously been reported multiple times for theft and other violations of Red Cross Fundamental Principles & Policies. Administrative failure to act on these reports had already resulted earlier in 2010 in one resignation. I was called a liar to my face by the Director of Volunteer Services when I explained that I had personally told the person that he could not represent the Red Cross at the event. A few hours later I gave my 2-week notice in protest of their handling of the situation. Later that evening, after I had gone home for the day, I was sent an e-mail telling me not to return.
To make matters worse, I took my reports and complaints to The National HQ of The American Red Cross where they refused to investigate and only responded 2 months later after my repeated calls and e-mails asking the status of my case. I was told that there were no irregulariries in my dismissal and the case was closed. The volunteer thief, bigot and Policy Violator is still there despite the continued complaints of other volunteers and staff.
This is my complaint and warning to all person thinking of donting their money and/or time to The American Red Cross. Approach with caution!
Please visit my MySpace site with the full story and documentation:
www.myspace.com/545768914

Comments United States Non-profit Organizations
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

21st of Feb, 2009 by   Theresa Wischmeyer 0 Votes

no e-mail confirmation - American Red Cross

I completed CPR on-line course-recieved CPR card but no e-mail confirmation-please advise
 31st of Aug, 2010 by   newsflash5000 0 Votes
Seems unfair I agree.
 31st of Aug, 2010 by   newsflash5000 +1 Votes
Seems very unfair that this happened.
 1st of Sep, 2010 by   Erich Groebe 0 Votes
Thanks for your comments Newsflash5000. Most of life isn't fair. The unfortunate aspect of my complaint is that we expect more from such organizations as The American Red Cross. We just assume that because an organization is humanitarian in nature it will uphold higher standards. Of course, we all know what they say about "assuming"...lol. Thanks again for your comments!

23rd of Dec, 2010 by   Dissatisfied Flier +2 Votes
Through my own personal experience with this organization, I strongly agree. The whole organization is corrupt, unprofessional and very unethical. It's funny that I came across your complaint, because I was just researching and reading comments for future awareness. People who have never been discriminated, harrassed, civil rights violated, retaliated against, mistreated and victimized seem to find situations, such as ours, harmless. Good luck on your dispute and do not let time beat you, as it did me.
 23rd of Dec, 2010 by   Erich Groebe +1 Votes
Dear Dissatisfied Flier, Thanks for your comments and support. As I'm sure you can imagine my dispute went nowhere. Despite their 30 day dispute response policy I had to call National HQ in Washington 11 times over a 3 month period beyond the 30 days in which they told me they would have a decision. Of course there was no surprise when that long awaited response was " We see nothing irregular about the way you were seperated". I have however put all of the experience away and now volunteer with a local, Non-Profit Hospice Service which is even more rewarding than The Red Cross ever was. Please do not simply "write-off" The Red Cross entirely. Depending on your local chapter and it's needs you can find it to be very rewarding and fulfilling. I just urge that you approach with caution and donate your time in moderation.
 20th of Apr, 2011 by   DisappointedAlways +1 Votes
I agree with both of you. I'm currently on a 1-week suspension without pay from ARC. I believe that all recent disciplinary action directed at me has been a result of me not keeping quite about things I've discovered on the job.
 20th of Apr, 2011 by   Erich Groebe 0 Votes
Dear DisappointedAlways, I think much of the proble, is not that The ARC is really any worse than any other gigantic corporation (Wal-Mart comes to mind) it is a perception issue. We expect more from The American Red Cross. It is a gigantic, Non-profit, humanitarian organization and in our minds it simply must be filled with angelic, Mother Theresa types. In reality it is a huge company with a multi-million dollar budget and a rigid chain-of-command that is VERY perception sensitive. The donations don't come in if the public takes a negative view of The ARC. In short...corruption, favoritism and political correctness run rampant and the most important thing is not to address & correct the issues it is to prevent them from shaking the boat or tarnishing their public image.
 1st of Aug, 2011 by   jojo47 0 Votes
I was looking into purchasing a CPR course through their website when I received an error message from their server saying that the transaction had failed. And it suggested that I tried again. Long story short, I was charged twice for the item that I never received. No confirmation, no receipt, only money taken out of my account (processing). I tried to contact them and it takes at least 50 minutes now just to get through the line, and when I got to someone, he was very uninterested in solving the problem, and very unprofessional. This person then told me that someone would call me back. Nobody called back. That was 4 days ago, and I am still trying to reach someone there. No response by phone nor email. Very disrespectful. I wish I knew about the way this organization operates before. So I 'd like to at least warn future victims of this disrespectful service.
 18th of Aug, 2011 by   RedCrosser 0 Votes
I was sent home from a shelter assignment because the day manager did not want a hard of hearing person working for her; before sending me home, she had me (I am a mental health worker) sweep the floors, make coffer for her/shelter manager. The shelter manager documented my being hard of hearing as, "does not listen." Not cool.
 17th of Nov, 2012 by   kimkarnold 0 Votes
My husband and I were volunteers with our local chapter. He was the chairman of the advisory board and a DAT captain. I was the volunteer coordinator and a DAT volunteer. We were both certified as CPR/First Aid instructors. In trying to coordinate CPR/First Aid classes in our area, the H&S coordinator for our area, Chani Anderson, didn't like when I would call her out when she was lying. She ended up telling me that because I didn't follow protocol when I taught a CPR/AED class that I was no longer able to be a volunteer instructor with ARC and that the local Community Relations Manager was supposed to have sent me a letter telling me that. Yet, this same woman got upset when I didn't come to her concerning an issue with Health & Safety because she was my immediate supervisor. I asked her why was it that if she was my immediate supervisor, why wasn't the letter coming from her instead of the local Community Relations Manager since the CRM was over Disaster Aid and not Health & Safety. She just said more lies. I never received a letter stating why I could no longer be a volunteer instructor. My husband and I responded to several house fires in our area and the amount that the victims received was nowhere near the amount that the local ARC brought in. While on the board, my husband kept asking to see the balance sheet so the board could see how much money was brought in and went out for victims but the local Community Relations Manager never produced a copy even though she kept promising that she would bring one in. Yet, meeting after meeting, all Debra Lyles, the Community Relations Manager would talk about was raising funds. I was encouraged to file a complaint against Chani from a person in a different region that had Chani's same position because she was not following protocol. My husband and I were trying to become a Licensed Training Provider so we could offer CPR/First Aid classes in our area since the ARC had only had 1 (which I had taught) in over a year. When they found out that I had filed a complaint against an employee, I was told that we had been rejected as a LTP. But, that's okay because in the mean time, we had become certified to teach through the American Heart Association and are now teaching classes. What you said is true, if you say anything against them, they cut you off PDQ!!
 20th of May, 2013 by   quietbit 0 Votes
Speaking about the St. Louis chapter, in my experience, the American Red Cross HR is for the managers and the company. They will not represent an employee. If you bring any problem to their attention, their solution is the same, get rid of the employee causing waves. It's easier to replace the person than fix a problem. The managers are buddy-buddy with HR. If they preemptively fire an employee, it's no longer an employee making a complaint, it becomes a situation where an ex-employee, which was recently fired, is complaining.

Did I mention, management is terrible.

The Stanford Fraud Case