logo

SBI ATM Card
Transcation declained
2. (8 mins ago)
myticketsonline.eu
Lost money, not received tickets
3. (8 mins ago)
Youve been warned

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

American Life Insurance, Conyers, Georgia Complaints & Reviews - "The Cons outway the Pros"

American Life Insurance Contacts & Informations

American Life Insurance

Posted:    Rockdale County, GA

"The Cons outway the Pros"

The Hogan Agency
Conyers, Georgia
This is not an actual complaint, but an observation. I was called by a representative on Friday, 07-17-2009. I was informed that a Mr. Hogan, the owner of "The Hogan Agency", in Rockdale would conduct the interview. When I arrived, I walked into an "open call" type situation. There were at least 30 others waiting to be interviewed by the same company. I was not pleased. I still decided to stay and give the company the benefit of the doubt. I was interviewed by a gentleman, not Mr. Hogan. The office was not personalized and a little remedial overall for a company that has been in business for over 50 years. Out of the 30, they picked 10 of us. I, being one of them. While waiting for Mr. Hogan, the receptionist was being questioned by an obvious prospect. She was asked what positions were available, she said she did not know. I took that to be very strange. She was very aprehensive in her answer in her answer to the questions. Almost as if she was surprised that questions were being asked of her.

Mr. Hogan never showed his face. We were told he had a conference call. His General manager informed us she would take over the "seminar". She spoke well of compensation, residuals and career paths. She mentioned "advance" pay all over the place. All I could do was think of "drawbacks". You would be in debt to them, before you got your first pay. There were many contraditions. It all sounded very well rehearsed. She knew how to make the numbers sound good.

Overall, I am glad that I came to this website. It has helped me make my decision. I see why they'd interview so many at a time. Only a few would have to learn the hard way. With all the complaints I have read made it very easy to decide. The cons outway the pros.
Comments United States Health & Life Insurance
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Jan, 2010 by   NowSingle +1 Votes
I worked at the Hogan Agency For over a year. First of all it's much like Mr. Hogan to not show up because he is a money hungry arrogant A** Hole. Everything said over the phone, in the interview and in the seminar is off script. It takes months to learn all the scripts. It is a scam if they call you DO NOT GO
 19th of Jun, 2010 by   vrsatile +1 Votes
I was just contacted by the Hogan agency. The woman who called me says that my resume' was forwarded to them. I found it odd that someone would contact me and state that they wanted me to come for an interview without telling me what position I'll be interviewing for. I"m glad I came across this page. I'm now second guessing even wasting gas to go there.
 3rd of Mar, 2011 by   J.N.G. +1 Votes
I also was contacted by the Hogan agency. I was wondering how they found me, but I recently signed up for "career builder" and posted my resume. The woman who called stated that, they wanted to interview me for a $50, 000.00 a year position that had something to do with data entry. I'm suppose to go on march 8 at 11:15. I'm really glad that I done this research and found the complaints because gas is too expensive to drive to the bogus job!!!
 7th of Mar, 2011 by   MitchellT 0 Votes
I am so glad for this site!!! I was contacted today by an individual who simply received my resume, obviously off career builder, and wanted to set me up for an interview and would 'email' me the information. I found it extremely odd that she would not state what the company name was nor did she state the position I would be interviewing for. I knew it was bogus after that but wanted to do some research before thinking about going. My interview is scheduled for March 8, 2011 at 11:30am. Funny thing is, I live on Salem Road and know exactly where this place is...
 10th of Mar, 2011 by   Woweee 0 Votes
Hello, I was contacted today for and interview. And, it seems as though I was rushed though the phone call right to and interview date and email. I would love to hear how the other interviews went. Also, are they trying to get me to sell insurance?
 31st of Mar, 2011 by   PinkChoclate 0 Votes
Wow!!!... I was so about to go to bed before calling these people who got my resume' off of Career Builder as well. I planned to call them back tomorrow... Thanks everyone for assisting in me not wasting my expensive gas making a trip to this place... I also saw this job listing briefly thru a search and "The Hogan Agency" was listed on Indeed.com. I hope they know the details behind their advertisement.
 2nd of Jun, 2011 by   Not enough info 0 Votes
WOW, I just got a phone call from this lady and whn I called the number back got a recording. So my being a Paralegal I started to research this company and founf this! I wont be wasting my time or gas going to a place like this! When I called the number back I got a recording and the website the lady gave me was bogus!
 7th of Jun, 2011 by   Mr. MM 0 Votes
I've been working for the Hogan Agency for over 3 years now, and I can honestly tell you that everything that is talked about it during our interview process is completely legitimate. Contrary to what the original poster said, new hires are not indebted to the company before they earn their first paycheck. The money is for an insurance license through the state of GA. This is a state/federal requirement, much in the same way that a person is required to have a real estate license in order to legally sell real estate. Mr. Hogan does indeed conduct some of the interviews. However, like any other owner of a company, he is not always available. The resumes that we contact are forwarded to us by sites like Career Builder and Monster.com, but because we provide all training from day one, we do not limit ourselves to seasoned salespeople. Personally, I did not have an extensive sales background before I started, but this job has allowed me to single-handedly support my wife and two children. Everything I've said is not propaganda, but factual, verifiable information. It's just unfortunate that when people google the company, the complaints pop up first, usually generated by disgruntled former agents. If you're going to do research, do ALL of the research. Sometimes just a little bit of knowledge is worse than complete ignorance. Check out www.ailife.com, www.torchmark.com, Better Business Bureau, etc. By the way, the name of the company is American INCOME Life. American Life is a different, unrelated insurance company.
 23rd of Jul, 2011 by   T.W.I.Y 0 Votes
This all amazes me...a scam? really? Check out www.MyLifeAtAIL, the BBB, AM Best, etc...This has got to be the most impressive 57 year scam in history. (That's sarcasm in case you weren't sure). If your happy spinning your wheels in unemployment or you current career..you probably shouldn't try this. However..if your open to learning, building and growing...maybe it's worth a shot. Oh and also having the ability to make more money than anyone you know..maybe it's worth a shot. AND IF YOUR WAY OF LIFE AND DECISION-MAKING PARADIGM IS GUIDED BY A COMPLAINT BOARD...YOU REALLY NEED TO REEVALUATE.
"There are many easy jobs that pay poorly, There are many hard jobs that pay poorly, There are many hard jobs that pay well,
There are absolutely ZERO easy jobs that pay well."
 14th of Sep, 2011 by   mld10 0 Votes
Hey, T.W.I.Y.,

Please tell us how the website, mylifeatail.com, which was developed solely to refute claims on these and other posts is helpful to your argument?
 2nd of Nov, 2011 by   tzqn 0 Votes
I just received a phone call from a woman stating that my resume was forwarded to her. I just signed up with careerbuilder.com so it must have come from them. I like to research companies before going to interview because there are so many scams out here today. Thank you for your posts. I will definitely take these into consideration before deciding to go next week.
 20th of Jul, 2012 by   apicket2 0 Votes
I was called a couple of hours ago, but missed the call. I checked my messages and a young lady says that my Resume was sent to them by Career Builder, so I returned the call. When I called the number that was left on the voicemail, I got a message telling me to enter my pass-code or mailbox number or something, I thought maybe I misdialed so I tried it again and got the same message. I thought maybe the young lady left the wrong number, so I looked through my phone and called the original number that called me...and...you guessed it! I got the same message again. That's what made me so suspicious about the call. I am so, so, so glad I looked up the company and found this site, before I wasted any of my time talking to them. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, and good luck to whoever wants to give them a go!!! May GOD bless you.
 15th of Oct, 2012 by   chayla111 0 Votes
Hello
I respectfully disagree with the negative comments made, I've been contacted by The Hogan Agency of {AIL} and I was very pleased with the experience of interviewing with The Hogan Agency of {AIL}
I would like to say thank you!
 10th of Dec, 2012 by   Thor27 0 Votes
I find it hard to believe that so many people would post complaits about a company based solely on other complaits made about that company. So far almost all of the responces have been from people that didn't even bother to do any research beyond the complaint board. Believe it or not the Better Business Bureau is a legitimate place to find out accurate info on any business out there. Please explain to me why you wouldn't give a company, with an A+ rating for at least the past 5 years in a row, more then a passing glance. Yes, you have to play for a licence program, test, and certificate. Yes, you have to go through training before you start getting paid, but all of this is told to you in the very first interview. Explain to me why that is sketchy when they are completely honest about it. And if you don't have the money then you don't have the money. A lot of people can't afford to pay for all that before they start making money, but that doesn't mean you should post negative comments about a company that you wish you were a part of and can't be. Please use common sense before posting on sites like this because your voice is influential and you could be denying someone a better life due to misinformation.
 6th of Mar, 2013 by   GeorgiaGirl1 0 Votes
I just received the same thing. I went to the interview. The same song and dance for about 50 people. Let me put it this way. If a company cannot spend an hour of their time investing in me, to interview me and me only, then I dont want to invest any of my time into their company. They should be upfront and honest on the phone. Its a scam!
 18th of Apr, 2013 by   Nickcol 0 Votes
I received a call from Shelia Rivera on 4/17/2013 to schedule an interview the following day for a position (she described as "Managing Client Services". My car was down so I asked if I could come in on Fri instead which she said wasn't possible, and they would try to call me for the "next interviewing process". Thinking this was a legitimate job, I told her I would accept the original date. I asked for more details regarding the position at which she explained a couple of things and mentioned 2weeks training. She didn't explain much about the position at all, it felt odd/rushed/evasive. My backround is in Accounting, Training, and Customer Service. I tried to find out more about this company online and couldn't find anything about jobs with this company. Nothing, which also seemed weird to me. I found this site (thx everyone!) and ofcourse I felt more uncomfortable.
I called this mrng (770-922-2205) and kept getting the v.m. too until about 945a. I got an answer and questioned the girl about the "Client Services" position. I asked if this position was a sales position which she answered yes. I asked if this was a mass interview or 1on1 and she told me that I would meet 1on1 w/a hiring manager, and if I liked the position I would go to a seminar, if I liked that, I go back to the "Hiring Manager" again (I assumed to collect my money). I asked whether the "two weeks training was paid". She said she "honestly" didn't know...I asked if I had to pay for licensing etc. she said yes. I cancelled my "interview".
Now...in my opinion this is misleading because when I send my resume out, I do so under certain criteria. You know what types of jobs you are looking for, and what you do or don't want to do. This company calls to get as many people as they can to come in and wait for a bite. They don't explain up front that this is a Sales position. As a matter of fact, it feels like they tell you a job title that seems like something you might find appropriate from your experience/history on what they read on your resume. They are often dealing with people who are out of work (such as myself), so they are playing off of our need to find work to further their business/pockets. Gas costs to much. Time costs even more. Not cool Hogan Agency or American Life Insurance (whoever u are). Times are hard right now. With gas prices being what they are and the economy being what it is, why can't you be up front about your intent and allow the potential applicant make their own informed decision about what they want to do? You could be blocking a legitimate opportunity for someone should they decide to accept your "interview" in place of something they could start and get paid immediately for as opposed to having to incur out of pocket expenses with your company. This feels dishonest and misleading AIL. I would have been EXTREMELY upset if I did actually attend this Sales pitch.
By the way...I did research them on BBB and they don't have any complaints under Hogan Agency, but they have 133 complaints under AIL. Hogan is just a DBA.
Hope this helps.

Nickcol
 18th of Apr, 2013 by   Nickcol 0 Votes
T.W.I.Y

Everyone has their own opinions, intuitions, radars, etc. I'm glad your experience with these people was good for you, but any "Company" who has to get folks in the door by misleading them, being secretive and not up front, or just plain shiesty, that is not a company I would want to deal with in any way, PERIOD. I won;t compromise my rep, but If you fell for the hype and came out on top then...GREEEAT!!!
 20th of Apr, 2013 by   LisaLove6 0 Votes
I got a call today as well. I agree with this last comment I read, be up front about it people! Tell people it's a job selling insurance. Tell them you have to get your GA State License and that you have to pay for it yourself. If you we're up front and honest about everything the job is and everything that is required by the person being interviewed then, maybe you wouldn't have to do group interviews. Maybe you'll have people that are really interested and then you'd have more one on one interviews. I'm just sayin but, it might just save your company some time and save people like myself, time & money. I'm just sayin, it is what it is.
 22nd of Jul, 2013 by   ATL1978 0 Votes
I went to the Hogan Agency "interview" last year and saw it was an open call and left immediately. They just called me AGAIN! Obviously they are getting resumes from online job sites. DO NOT WASTE YOUR GAS AND TIME!

ID Theft Includes