American Income Life

Scam and fraud

American Income Life
12301 Ridge Rd.
North Royalton, Ohio
My name is Jason. Before you concider employment with this billion dollar company, I ask you read this review I have posted as it may save you MUCH of the aggrivation, time, and money, that it cost me. I did not take the time to type this up because I have way too much time on my hands, I simply typed it because I want others to learn from my "and others" crucial mistakes. I was first hired with A.I.L in "N. Royalton Ohio, " about the end of July 2008. I was promised riches as long as I was a go-getter, and was willing to work long hours. I was in construction for most of my life, and concidered myself very capable of both of these. Apparently, they agreed as I was hired rather quikly, "just as everyone else was with no experience in sales once so ever." I sacrificed EVERYTHING for this job. EVERYTHING in my life was put on hold so that I could give this job the attention I THOUGHT it deserved. I was told that I would be paid training, so that it would be easier for someone like myself to make the career change. The state exam for your insurance license is not easy, and you do have to pay for it out of pocket everytime you fail by the way. It took me only twice luckly. I spent both time..."about one month" and money "about $500" after all the application fees and whatever else to obtain my insurance license. Once I finally obtained my license, I was given a 4 page script that i had to memorize, word for word!! I did not like the fact they didn't tell me about it at first, but hey...i'm a "go-getter." So i sucked it up, and memorized it. This took me an additional 3 weeks to do "for free." Once I acheived this, I was put in a one week training class that was NOT PAID. When I mentioned the fact that I was told I was going to be paid for training, "hurting for some money by this point as you can imagine, " I was told I misunderstood, as the class is paid for, not me. I am not a stupid man!! I know what i was told!! In fact, if it wasn't for that one little detail about the job, I probably would not have taken it. They also told me they did not like me asking questions and pretty much told me to shut up "in there own words." So just like before, I sucked it up and kept going. If you play poker..."I was pot invested, " I had no choice. This is where those "LONG HOURS" started. We would start class at 9 oclock, got out at 4. Then I was instructed to drive to wherever my manager was to sit in on presentations of the bennefits. My first "attempt" at a presentation was at 9 o'clock the same night of my first training day. I did not get home until 11 0'clock!! "FREE MIND YOU!!" 9 to 11...whats that?? 14 hours!?!? When I was dropped off back at my car, I was instructed to go home and read my script more, rather then get some rest for tomorrow morning. The next few nights were the same, not giving me anytime to study any of the material given to us "AND EXPECTED TO KNOW, " in class. So about half way through the class week, I was told about all the postings from former employers and anyone who was/is affiliated with the company in any way shape or form. 95% of what I read was BAD!! And I read alot! No one had anything good to say about this company. I guess i'm not that smart of a man, other wise I would have found this on my own, way back when I was hired!! HAHA...jokes on me I guess. Anyways, the last day of training class was...actually today October 2 2008. The class had ended at 4, and as soon as I walked out I was fired by my manager because MARCUS SMITH didn't have the balls to do it himself, even though he was standing right there. I was fired because someone overheard me talking about the sight with the same person who told me about it. We were both concerned "AS I'M SURE YOU CAN IMAGINE!" Now wouldn't you say it's disturbingly ironic they fired me with no hesitation at all once they found out I knew about the sight/sights? They also said they didn't like the fact I wasn't willing to work 15 hours a day for training even after all i had a acheived thus far! Simple Common sense will tell you that is no way to efficiently train someone! Please...do your research! These people are very good at what they do, and somehow scam thousands like myself. I am a very religious christian "AS THEY CLAIM TO BE, " and DO NOT want this to happen to anyone else, even though I know it will. All the numbers are in black in white if you just look for um. They have a rediculous turn over rate of 95%! Absolutly no one stays with this company unless their dad is an S.G.A. who pays um a rediculous amount of money out of pocket. Of course its your decision whether or not you listen to me...I pray to to the allmighty Jesus Christ that you do.
Was the above complaint useful?

13th of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Hello everyone. I just received a phone call today from AIL and scheduled an interview with me for wednesday. After reading this comment I will be canceling the interview. Thank you for posting your comments for everyone to read. 60, 000 yearly sounds great but to good to be true. I don't understand how people make a living by scaming people. May the Lord give them what they deserve. Thanks again for this great information.
 15th of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I just received this weird call from AIL for an interview today (15OCT08). The only difference from my call is $70, 000/year. I must be better qualified.
Anyways, after reading all these comments that are all complaints, I will reguard it as SPAM!
Thanks for the postings
 24th of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Jay I to was employed there for 6 months and left. I have met Mr. Smith and many others. Unfortunately you had an individual thought of information. Trust me their only threat is logical thought. You were fired before you could spread what they would consider a disease of disloyalty.

If anyone is about to work there before you invest a dime tell the manager you want to see the weeekly pay reports for the previous 4 months. If they decline you it's because hey know their agents are barely scraping by...

Read: http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/american-income-life-insurance-company--ail-c100308.html

I hope you survived your encounter with the black hole and are alright now.
 24th of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
They emailed me. I goggled them. Findings is Horrible!!!
 28th of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Thank you and all of the rest of you who have had to subject yourselves to the Con Artists of this world in order to save the rest of us. I too have been contacted by this A.L.I. company, but I have had my share of close calls and getting burnt in certain situations and I usually come out to the internet and try to do a search for places like this where others have posted warnings.

I for one, am very greatful for all of those who have posted before myself warning to watch out for the scams. Thanks again, I am going to make sure to just delete any of those emails.

12th of Nov, 2008 by    -2 Votes
I started with the company about 4 weeks ago which was after I completed my training for the exam. I passed the exam on my second attempt which was about 2 weeks later. First of all, when you come in for the interview you are told upfront exactly what the business will cost you to get started. If you are looking for a job where someone pays you what they think you are worth then AIL is not the company for you and you are not for us. When you work a BUSINESS there are long hours and sacrifices one must make. If you wanted a 9 to 5 with a set salary then you should have known from the beginning this opportunity was not for you if you had to come out of pocket for training. Attitude is everything in this business. There are so many negative comments from past associates of AIL who bottomline didn't work hard and didn't make money. The script given to an agent takes less than 3 to 4 days to learn. When you have the desire to help people and make money at the same time then this OPPORTUNITY may be for you. But again, it is an OPPORTUNITY. Not a job. Noone will tell you when to go to lunch, when to take off or if you can even take off. You make your own paycheck. After being in the field with my manger for a week and a half, my first weekend in the field (my manager did the presentation as well), my check was a little over $750. My second week when I went out on my own, I brought home over $1700. Need I say more. If you buy into someone else's negative opinion of a company in which they were not successful, not because the company is not successful, then you are definitely not a person we want as a part of our team. Our company has stood the test of time. You buy the opinions of others you buy their lifestyle. The only negative opinions listed in this website are from unsuccessful people not an unsuccessful company. Take heed.
 20th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
To successful Agent:

Your company is not "time tested, " they have been around in their current format since 1993. Most people would agree that a business model that has been around for 15 years is not time tested.
And despite what they tell you, Torchmark isn't and never was a Fortune 500 company.
Finally, just because someone has had a negative experience with AIL (and by someone I mean thousands) do not write them off as unsuccessful. They are better off doing whatever it is they are doing now, and more than likely are more successfull than you.
Call AIL an "opportunity" all you want, but it is an opportunity 98% of the people you hire don't want any part of.
 1st of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
Jason, thanks for taking the time to tell your experience. One thing I learned in life, if it sound to good to be true... it usually is! I hope you have found something better!
 10th of Dec, 2008 by    -1 Votes
great company for those who want to work for there money not for people who just want the money handed to them but as my grandmother told me anything worth having is worth working hard for. all of you must have too much time on your hands to complain about a company that is offering you a job than again maybe that is why you are unemployed. keep sponging off us working people and complaining about those who offer you opportunity ya that seem like a good plan.
 23rd of Dec, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Sadly, I've gone through the same situation as Jason...

My encounter with AIL was right after I graduated from college in May. I was applying for jobs left and right and, when I got the call to interview with AIL, I was blinded by the "opportunities" that were promised. Luckily, I passed my license exam on the first try and flew through my training. I was in the field in no time -- much thanks to the fudged "release" reports that my field trainer produced to allow me to get out in the field and sell, sell, sell.

Once I started, I realized that their idea of "opportunities" meant blindly following a cult-like organization. I was sexually harrassed in the office and belittled by my GA/field trainer. Brainwashed by management, I put up with the abuse for too long because I didn't want anyone to think I was a "cancer" or a source of negativity.

When I wasn't selling as much as my management wanted, Marcus told me he would help me out and find a new territory. I was considered "lucky" to get new leads in a territory almost 2.5 hours away from my house.

After a horrible 3 months as an agent, I left AIL. I walked out and never looked back. I can't say that I didn't learn from this experience -- it made me realize how important my sanity and my family are to me. Both were lost during my time at AIL.
 31st of Dec, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Ah well, time for me to tell my story; if only I'd found this website (or the many others like it) before accepting employment from American Income Life. First off let me start with this: make no mistake, AIL is a multilevel marketing scheme. They are rated A+ superior, yes, however this speaks only to their solvency, not their business ethics. Yes, the stock profile is better than average, but they make their money by cashing in people like you and me.
Not only is AIL the most unprofessional company I have ever worked for (I have worked for two small businesses that operate in the owners home, both were leaps and bounds more professional than AIL), but it is without a doubt the least ethical (by again, leaps and bounds). I paid an expensive price for my naivety (at this point, I have $9.67 in my checking account and 37.40 in my savings account. I spent over two grand for this job, stupid me); my hope is that others can avoid the disaster I suffered by finding my story, and the story of others, online.
Forget what they tell you in the job description about 'helping people' and being a 'manager trainee program.' Here is the job, mislead people on the phone to get them so schedule an appointment, enter their home under false pretenses, and then emotionally manipulate them as much as possible to try and get them to buy life insurance they may or may not need.
Now, I understand that emotional manipulation is an intrinsic part of advertising and sales, however, this is not the part that is really despicable. It's the 'entering people's homes under false pretenses' part. You are going into someone's home, having just short of lied to them about why you are even there; that act is not moral. And then on top of that, your job is to assault them with underhanded sales techniques until they cave and buy a life insurance policy. In this job, you are essentially a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman. They just want any excuse to get their foot in the door so they can sell someone. I am not capable of doing that, so I quite.
They tell you that you won't have to work hard... I was working up to fourteen hours a day, and I was working seven days a week. I should mention, I did that willingly and was never late (my manager was almost always late), and I barely slept for about three weeks. I am not afraid of hard work; I worked my way through college for a BS in math. Twenty to thirty hours a week at a job and college full time is hard work. So please understand, I left the company because I could not reconcile the business practices of this company with my conscience, not because they wanted me to work hard (though strangely, they kept insisting that the job was 'easy, ' and 'you only had to work smart, not hard').
When I quit, my GA was very professional. I handed her a letter of resignation, and she said, “Okay. I'll need your leads so we can reconcile them.” She was fine about it (I imagine she'd been through someone quiting about a million times before). But then, my SGA wanted to see me (I presumed for an exit interview). He basically just berated me for a while. Looking back, I don't really see what the point of that was. He had always had a lot of hope for me. I think he could tell that I am a hard worker. Also, I passed the state exam the first time, which no one else I encountered at the office had done (most took it about three times, some more). So, perhaps he was just angry to lose me. I tried to remain professional, he didn't stop the verbal barrage until I used the phrase, “bait and switch.” I used it to describe what they do in people's homes (basically, “here are some free benefi-BuySomeLifeInsurance!!!) Wow, just thinking back, what an absolutely horrible experience, and it gets even better.
Now that I quit, they apparently aren't going to pay me my first pay check. Or they aren't going to pay me the full amount anyways. When I went out with my “leads” (more on those later) and my manager did the closing, I was supposed to get paid for those. Now, they're basically making my commission a lot less because I quit, which is illegal in the state of Maryland. So, just to get my pay check (my minuscule conciliation price of $700) I have to file a compliant form in district court. Yes that's right, just to get my pay check from this company, I have to take them to court... awesome (sarcasm).
Please anyone reading this, just save yourself the misery and stay away from this company. If you want to do sales, great. There are many non-MLM sales jobs out there for you, where you won't have to be a scum bag. If you really want to sell life insurance, great. There are many reputable companies out there to work for that won't screw you over.
Phew, so many things to talk about with this company. Next, lets talk about those “leads.” They aren't actually leads. Leads, would be people who maybe wants to buy life insurance, these are not those people. Your “leads” might as well be a random sampling of the population. These poor people are those who have requested no cost benefits through there union. How is that related to, they want to buy life insurance? It isn't! Basically, AIL strikes a deal with a union to provide minuscule no cost benefits in exchange for getting a salesperson into the home of some union member. If I were in a union that dealt with AIL, I'd be pretty upset.
It's strange, but I went through different phases with this company. They had me so sold on them at first (how naive I was). I was ready to work hard and sacrifice. By the end, however, I could see right through my SGA's bullshit. When he was verbally assaulting me for my 'exit interview, ' half the things he said didn't even make sense. In a way, it was sort of sad. It was amazing, in only four and a half weeks time, I went from idolizing my SGA, to feeling sorry for him.
On a side note, it's interesting, I read one comment about how a new-hire's car was nicer than their manager's. That was the case for me too, and I was just a working student! And another odd thing, my SGA was all about God. I think he was basically using “The Secret” as a motivational tool for his employees. Please keep in mind, I'm not saying it's odd that he is very religious, that is completely common and normal. What's odd is how he sort of forced it on me (and everyone else). Throughout the office, there are messages on dry erase boards about how 'though God all things are possible.' What things are they talking about? Ripping people off to make band? I'm no deity, but I'm pretty sure swindling people is wrong. Not to mention, the SGA makes almost a million dollars a year on his MLM empire. I'm pretty sure I remember something from Bible school about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter heaven. I'm just saying, I think this definitely qualifies as irony. The other thing where he really pressed the issue was when he said that God was the only thing that could center you. It was a very awkward moment in the training class for me, because he made everyone in the room say that God centers them. Firstly, I personally believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I happen to not believe in any sentient creator being. He rode me until I more or less said that I believed in God and that God is the only thing that can center me. I should have seen a red flag at that point. I think I was just still so sold on the whole thing. But, I digress.
Looking back, I don't know how they ever fooled me. I guess I just wanted to believe that there was some sort of short cut to wealth. And perhaps, if one has no concern for integrity, then there is. For me however, no paycheck is worth that. That is a bit comforting to know, but I still don't know how I'm going to pay my bills this month...
So please, please, learn from my mistake. Don't work for American Income Life. I know the job market is tough right now, but save yourself the indignity.
 27th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
Hi, I was also contacted by this company today but immediately deleted the email since I had already had a similar experience with another company in which I was contacted for a position in marketing and advertising with a chance to quickly move up to management. I was intrigued by the offer and went to the first interview, where after leaving I realized I still did not know what type of position I was interviewing for. I was told to come in the following Monday and do a shadowing day. I came in that Monday and sat in an office for an hour with several other people who apparently had no idea about what we were suppose to be doing that day either and what type of position we were interviewing for, you would think by that point we would at least know that. I spent the day riding around with several other people in a car going from business to business, in a not so good part of town, trying to sell phone packages. I immediately told them when I got back to the office that I was not interested. I felt so horrible for these kids that were involved in this thinking they were going to be promoted quickly and soon own their own business. The name of these companies were Tek marketing group and CNX, so if anyone receives an email from them do not waste your time. Thanks so much to everyone else for posting. It's so unfortunate that during this unemployment crisis there are people out there taking advantage of others.
 27th of Jan, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I am so glad I checked out this company online. I have an "interview" schedulded with the AI in Charlotte NC with Jim Logan this Thurs 01/29/09. I thought something was odd about all of this too. I really need a job just as much as everyone else who is looking but there is no way no how that I will go to that interview. I think it is a shame for them to get a persons hopes up for a job. Hang in there my fellow job seekers and know you are not alone in your search.
 17th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
Wow thanks alot really! I just came hoem about 5 minutes ago and received a message in my answering machine for AIL for a management position and to call back to schedule an interview. After reading these posts I sure as hell won't call them back...or maybe just for the fun of it to tell them what I think about them.
 25th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes

I got a call for an interview for Friday BUT I cancelled because there were too many red flags
(1) the question I got on the phone were the EXACTLY THE SAME as the person who posted this story, http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/integrity-of-company-c98698.html

(2) the so-called HR person who setup my interview DIDN'T HAVE any idea what I was interviewing for. I was supposed to meet a guy called Mark Beckford.

(3) I was told to wear a suite and bring a resume - what kind of idiot doesn't do that for an interview

(4) On the website, there is "Interview FAQ’s" - what kind of company has such things.

(5) When first got a message and I returned the call. When I didn't hear back I called repeatedly through the afternoon. I could not get hold of a human being - that option 3 is supposed to HR department.

(6) all the horror stories on http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/the-scam-continues-c156991.html
 17th of Mar, 2009 by    -1 Votes
American Income Company Information

American Income Life Insurance Company was founded more than 50 years ago and has grown into one of the nation’s largest supplemental insurance providers. American Income is licensed in 49 states with a subsidiary, National Income Life Insurance Company, servicing New York completing national coverage.
American Income Life Insurance Products
American Income primarily provides supplemental life insurance products to associations, labor unions and credit union members and has serviced the labor union category since its conception. The company also provides group accident and sickness coverage, specializing in youth groups and 4-H camps. For more information on American Income products, you can contact the company by telephone or online.
American Income Ratings
AM Best A+
American Income Contact Information
P.O. Box 2608
Waco, TX 76797
Request a free life insurance quote for you and your family * >>
* My-Life-Insured.com makes no representation, express or implied, that you will receive a quote from the company or companies profiled on this page. My-Life-Insured.com provides free information concerning companies, insurance products and services but is not an agency or an insurer. Not all products are available in all states, and no guarantees regarding same are made herein. Please speak to a licensed insurance agent for more information. Read more about us.
If you read the closest thing I could find to a homepage, there are several contradictions in it. I'm a bit unsure as to whether they are even a real insurance provider. I was told earlier today on the phone that the manager saw something in my resume he like, she guessed, and that he saw it on monster or hot jobs or "something". The whole conversation was scripted at first, until I kept interrupting her. I mean, flaky from the word go. I figured out pretty quick when the word sales came up that it was commission based and said that evidently someone did not actually read my resume. If they had they would have seen that I'm a trained and certified computer geek, not a commissioned salesman. The kicker was she said that there were multiple positions available, and that she didn't know them because she was only the appointment setter?????? How flaky is that?????
Good thing I google every company I interview with. It's good to know something about the people you are considering working for. Also, real interviewers respect and appreciate someone who does their homework pre-interview. Either way, I am supposed to drive to another state, only about 45 minutes away, but still...it's a different state, for a 9am. interview. I almost want to just to make the wannabe manager interviewing me have a bad day from the word go, lol. Hey God Bless you Brother and thank you for saving me from wasting my gas money. Every dime is a big deal right now, and I'm sorry to see it happened to you. Let's hope we can save a few more, too.
 20th of Mar, 2009 by    -1 Votes
To the original poster - the best part about your whole blog was when you claimed to be a Christian AFTER you called Marcus Smith a "rich snobby asshole with no balls". Shame on you! Christians do not talk this way... "by their fruits, ye shall know them"
 24th of Apr, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I just went through the Fortune 500 list. Torchmark is not listed.
 27th of Apr, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I too got contacted today by ALI to meet with Mr. Carbone next week at 9:30am. I've been having such a hard time finding a job that when I got the call from an "insurace" company I thought this would be a good opportunity for me. (I did get a little suspicious when the lady on the phone told me to bring cash since they do not pay for parking and I would need to pay in advance. It made me a little suspicious that they would ask me to bring cash since in all my previous interviews they just tell me that they will not provide parking and leave it at that. But no, they want ME to "bring" cash.) Since I wanted to prepare myself for the interview by learning as much as I could about the company in advance I googled the name of the company and behold I find all of your postings. I was so glad that I did! I've been scammed once before but I will not be scammed again! They basically charge you all these upfront fees before they "really" hire you and make you do all the work for them. Of course they never hire you but they won't tell you that until you start to suspect something or they've drained you out of all your money.

Please everyone be careful with this company. These people are well trained and know how to get at your wallet. Do not give them the opportunity to rip you off and stay away from them. Thank you Jason for letting us know of your experience with this company. I am so sorry you had to go through that but in the end it is truly the honest, hard working people like you that end up at the top.
 30th of Apr, 2009 by    -1 Votes

Thanks for your posting. I'm sorry you had to go through such a wretched experience with those charlatans. You are better off! I suppose "successful salesman" feels wonderful about performing a character assassination regarding your comments about your experience. Highly unlikely he will ever be employed in the Public Relations field.

In any event, I actually had a sales rep come to my house from a referral of a friend who is a union member. I mentioned that I was seeking employment and consequently was not financially in the position to purchase a life insurance policy. He immediately told me that they had openings and offered ( I did not inquire) that I would make upwards of 100, 000. He has called requesting that I schedule an interview. I made no mention of my professional experience in our meeting. Why would anyone call someone and ask that I schedule an interview without even considering I may be an out of work sanitation engineer. They of course make the best sales reps. Infer what you will from that one:)
You will be a success Jason, you have integrity.

American Income Life Logo American Income Life