logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
rootandroid.com
Rude and negative emails from this company
2. (24 mins ago)
Sears / Craftsman riding lawnmower
Lawn mower will just stop running
3. (39 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Fraud and cheating

American Education Services
aessuccess.org
American Education Services, AES, has terrible customer service. After a customer service representative told me erroneous information about a modified graduate repayment system (MGRS) that it would A) not use forbearance time, and B) bring the account current and not make another payment due for 2 months I immediately received a bill due in two weeks (not two months). I called AES 13 times, and sent them an email which they assured they would respond to within 48 hours. They NEVER did, when I finally reached them via phone they denied everything and said it was my fault for delinquency. They customer service rep eventually hung up on my telling me he did not care about the inconsistencies within the company and about the companies reputation because all that mattered was that I repaid my loan because I borrowed the money.
Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Nov, 2008 by   eugene granger +1 Votes
My experience with AES has been such that I have sent a complaint to the Attorney General of Pennsylvania and I encourage others to do the same. You can never understand their statements and there are no "named" people to contact. They badger and harrass and threatened. They are not consumer friendly by any stretch of the imagination. Suggest that you send certified letters to them. Also state in writing you want no phone calls from them which you have a legal right to do.
 17th of Nov, 2008 by   Peter Bartus 0 Votes
100% agree with the previous statements. AES employees do not sign their email correspondence.
They denied that they received my mails (registered and tracked - arrived), they claim that my faxes are not readable. They don't want anyone to use forbearance or deferment and they definitely don't want you to consolidate and pay off their loans with another, much better providers. They always claim that it is 14 business days to process paperwork but after a month they still did not process it. Last year I had the same issues with them. They try to force you to pay or take money from your account unauthorized even when you qualify for deferment. Federal consolidators requested my pay off amount on September 11, 2008, two months later they still did not hear from AES.
Sallie Mae and Perkins is following the law and provide information as required. I'm reporting AES to the Department of Education, Better Business Bureau and Attorney General of Pennsylvania.
 19th of Nov, 2008 by   eugene granger +1 Votes
all people who have dealings with AES should submit complaints to Attorney General of Pennsylvania. They are not interested in customer service but only in badgering, harrassing and ruining your credit. They send late payment statements to you after you have paid and charge late fees They have even used loan companies that are bankrupt now. You cannot even find out the officers of this company. Who are they ?
 2nd of Dec, 2008 by   b levers +2 Votes
Totally unprofessional, incompetent company. Use harrassment, intimidation and coersion as a matter of standard operating procedure. Routinely give false and erroneous information. Should be put out of business by state and federal law enforcement agencies.
 28th of Jan, 2009 by   Marta Stepanowicz 0 Votes
I agree with all the statements above. Taking out student loans with them was the biggest mistake of my life. I am being harrased at work and I am taking action. I am going to cotact the attorney general as well as the Governor of Pennsylvania. I will do whatever it takes to make sure they are shut down so that more people do not get involded and harassed by such an incompitent, unethical company.
 25th of Mar, 2009 by   Christy Harris 0 Votes
I am not a bit surprised to find that there are others who have experienced the same problems with AES as I have. The current problem being the graduated payment plan, at which time I was told that I did not owe a payment but am now being harassed. Like the previous comment from Sept. 2008, I was told that this is my fault. I am in the process of sending complaint letters to AES, & National Collegiate Trust, In addition to this, I will be filing a complaint with the BBB where AES has an "F" rating as well as the Federal Trade Commission- Division of Financial services & I will post a roport on rip off report.
After reading the posts on this site, I will also contact the Attorney Generals office.
Today, I sent an email to a class action firm Green Welling, LLP requesting that they research complaints and consider a class action suit against AES.

Contact Info: According the the BBB this is what they have on file for complaint contact at AES.

Scott Repa
Assistant Vice President, Customer Service
1200 North Seventh St.
Harrisburg, PA 17102

Phone: (717) 720-2471 (I wouldn't recommend calling as this will only get you back to the rude, useless customer (lack of) service reps!

If we all work together, maybe we can get a class action suit filed against AES & furthermore have them investigated for their shady business practices!

Other Sites I have visited which I have found very enlightening are Student loan complaints & Rip off Report.
 20th of Apr, 2009 by   Courtenay Nilon 0 Votes
I can't tell you how much I agree with all of you. Last month I entered into a contract with them to reduce my $300.oo a month automatic withdrawl that I was forced into after having a wage attachment placed. This new agreement included a $1300 deposit and then it would reduce my monthly autopay to $70.00. Well guess what? Today they pulled $300 more out which overdrew my account. They claimed that they didn't recieve my new authorization form for the $70.00 so they can "revert" back to the authorization on record. They are immoral, unethical, and hopefully we'll find out illegal. They will signle handedly cause people to go into bankruptsy and foreclosures on their homes! My daughter is going to college this year and I won't sign another parent plus loan for the rest my life. At least not in the state of Pennsylvania!
 23rd of Apr, 2009 by   Jenn 0 Votes
I am currently fighting with AES as we speak. I sent my loan payment in last month as ususal. I received a very nasty letter telling me that I was past due and there were charges against my account. After confirming that the loan was sent by my bank and accepted electronically by AES I began calling and emailing them. After 2 emails and 3 phone calls, I spoke to a supervisor who told me that no matter what, my payment was not there and that I should "never use banking bill payer services because they screw up." She was unprofessional, used slang, and tried to intimidate me telling me that she was reporting me to the credit bureau unless my payment was there within 10 days. I went to my bank again who gave me a "proof of payment" certificate, wrote a letter, and faxed everything yesterday. Still no answers to anything! I have never been late on any payments on any credit cards or loans and now because they are being unprofessional, my credit will end up suffering. I will follow the advice of all the above and start making complaints to the appropriate people. I am sick over this whole situation!
 16th of May, 2009 by   mlee 0 Votes
I am getting sick and tired of AES. They call the references on my application constantly asking for my information. The excuse the give me when I call them is they do not have the correct information on file for me. When I ask what address they have and phone number etc.. It is exactly where I have been the past 10 years. They also claim mail sent to my address is returned undeliverable. When I asked them do you receive monthly payments every month they said yes but had now reasonable response for their stupidity. Today 5-16-09 I recieved a letter saying I have a change of terms on my account. Change of interest rate. In reality the interest rate has been the same since 2004. In addition to the so called change in rate they more than doubled the amount I owe on my loan. It went from 2 loans each for about 4500.00 a piece over a two year period to one loan saying my monthly payment is now 76.00 and owe 9300.00 and the second loan monthly payment 90.00 and owe 10000.00 I am not really sure what is going on here, but if they are trying to rip me and every one else of because of there crooked practice I will like the rest of you get to the bottom of this and I will file complaints with every one. I also live in Texas I think they should know Texans really don't put up with BS.
 27th of May, 2009 by   AESisBS +1 Votes
AES is misleading parents and students allike. They trick you into thinking the loan can be defered and then make up some excuse not to except any deferement. These people are loan sharks and ripping off students and parents everywhere! They have sent an income execution to my employer for almost double the loan amount and looking for 15% of my pay. If this company is run through are goverment we are in trouble, all my daughters other loans were deferred due to military deployment and full time student status except the ones through AES becuase they are giving her a hard time, and including a Parent Plus Loan becuase AES claims that the parent needs to be in school/military this is misleading parents throught Pennsylvania and obviously New York too! This company is BS don't get your student loans from them or you will wind up in student loan hell!
 18th of Jun, 2009 by   Panda1021 +1 Votes
AES should be put out of business. I need to put my loan in forebearance. After writing them a letter because I didn't want to deal with their harassing customer service, they called me at least 10 times regarding the letter. When i talked to someone finally they told me to fax them the deferment forms and everything would be fine. i faxed the forms over the next day and today found out that they put my loan into default anyway with the lame excuse that I never called to see if they received my fax. Since they put my loan into default I lost my Federal Pell grant, so now I am completely unable to go to school even though I did everything they told me to do to put the loan into deferment. I am not taking this lying down. i am going to do everything in my power to fight these lying harassing money hungry morons with everything that I've got.
 25th of Jul, 2009 by   lnguyen09 0 Votes
Hi everyone, I'm new to AES, I didn't sign the form nor did my mom. But I did put in my SS number when I was registering. Was that a mistake? What should I do? I'm still in high school and will be attending college in 2010. I'm really scared of the outcome of this.
 31st of Jul, 2009 by   jalah 0 Votes
AES is horrible. I went through them to get a loan for school. Some how they are now the owners to all my loans, even my private loans, and I don't know how. Also, They Send bills constantly. At one time, I had 6 letters from them on one day in the mail with multiple bills and prices, to the point now where I'm totally confused as to where I stand. They call too much. One time they called me 9x's within 2 hours... Not to mention they want double back on one of my loans, leading to costs of 24, 000 for a 7, 000 loan. INTEREST???? Please...this is unacceptable. They need to be reasonable, because I am outraged. They need to be shut down, or something, because this is ridiculous...smh...
 7th of Aug, 2009 by   deadly 0 Votes
Watch out for AES - if you can avoid them then do so. I have about $10k in loans with them, and as we are all in over our heads with this economic crisis they are resorting to bully tactics. I have repeatedly told them I currently have no income or job (which is true) and they just sent me a letter requesting payment IN FULL of the entire principal balance. Hahahaha! That's a good one - especially for someone with $9 in the bank and no cash flow. Sure - you can repossess my 1985 pickup that needs over $3000 worth of work sunk into it, you might get $500 for it at auction...
 22nd of Oct, 2009 by   CC Young 0 Votes
I couldn't agree more. Please see my complaint also on this board. This company is dispicable, disgraceful, and is an insult to honest hardworking grads who pay their bills on time. Don't walk - run from AES if they want to do business with you.

Charles Young
Gulash & Riccio
Bridgeport, CT
203-367-7440
 16th of Feb, 2010 by   Gen Long 0 Votes
Same, same, same here. I took my "bills" from AES to an attorney who also happens to be a numbers/accounting whiz. He told me, "They are crooks."

If anyone is interested in looking into how to file a class action lawsuit, please email me at gen97@hotmail.com.
 12th of Mar, 2010 by   Courtney190 0 Votes
I was given 2- approx. $25, 000 loans between the ages of 18 and 20. When I applied they told me I could use the money for whatever I wanted. I could buy a car to drive to school if I wanted. I very plainly remember them asking "do you think you will make at least 5% more than you do now when you graduate?". Of course I did. And they said " then you can afford to take this loan". I make double now. However, I cannot afford 700.00+ a month in loans for 18 more years. My husband has been unemployed for over a year. They will not let me consolidate my loans due to my credit history. I have exhaused all options they do have for partial payments and they do not care at all that I am in a mess. They just say they will garnish my wages. I do the best I can to keep above water, but am going to sink before long. I got the loans, I spent the money, I was a stupid kid. However, they lent me 50 grand and made it sound so easy and did not care what I did with the money. It cant be discharge in bankruptcy because the private (not federal) loans were insured by a non-profit agency. I feel like this way very shady, and I was set up to fail. I know I made the choice, but they sure did not want me to succeed either.
 18th of Mar, 2010 by   moredeadly 0 Votes
Just pray that you don't get sent to their collections company, DCS - they're even WORSE than AES...I defaulted on my loan through AES (been out of work for almost 2 years, serious health issues, no slack or flexibility to work out a different payment plan or income contingent payment). In other words - total fu&*@ng a$$hole$. I'll probably be sent to court in the next couple months to deal with this mess.

If you are a student, even considering AES or any private loans - RUN LIKE HELL in the opposite direction. Try to get Stafford loans through Direct Loans. Federal loans may not be the most amazing, but they are willing to base your payment on your income and give you a hell of a lot more leniency when times get tough. If you have to take a year off due to lack of funding DO IT. It is not worth letting scumbags like this ruin your life like they have mine and many others.
 31st of Mar, 2010 by   StormyW 0 Votes
Don't feel bad if they are harrassing you - read my complaint. First, you need to know this: I DON'T HAVE A LOAN WITH THEM! I never have and believe me, I never will. Yet I've recieved hundreds of harrassing calls to my cell phone trying to reach someone named "Frank" who was listed as a reference for another name. This has been going on for almost 2 years!

I've repeated told them that I'm not Frank, I don't know anyone named Frank or the other person's name, and they have a wrong number. They just keep calling and calling. They call very early in the morning, very late at night - and the won't believe me when I say they have the wrong number. I let the calls go to voice mail and try to get the info to call back. (oh - don't bother calling them early in the morning or late at night - they won't answer!)

The voice mail were always static-y so I couldn't get all the reference numbers and details before. Finally, last night a clear message - I called today and when I tried, very nicely to explain they were calling the wrong number, the rep "Abraham" hung up on me. I called back and demanded to speak to a supervisor. I told her if she couldn’t stop the calls, I would report the company to the Do Not Call List authorities (it’s a fed agency).

Get This: She said when they have a person’s name but a bad number, they find similar names and use those people's numbers to try track the own the person they want. I told her it’s not likely that’s how they got my number because my number is unlisted, a cell phone, and it’s on the national and state do not call lists. I don’t know either of the people in the voice mail and my name isn’t remotely like either of the names given on the voice mail. She promised to take my number off the account and stop the calls.

As soon as I threatened to report them, she was much more cooperative. Kind of makes me wonder – randomly calling people who have a similar name can’t be legal if that number is on the Do Not Call lists. Since I've never done business with them or provided my information to them, they can't "randomly" call me. That violates the Do Not Call List rules. If I get so much as one call after today, I will report them.

Kind of funny – I was somewhere recently and my cell was vibrating. The person I was talking to asked if I needed to answer it and I said no – I know the number and it’s just another “Frank” call. They laughed and said don’t you mean a “prank” call? So I had to explain about my “Frank” calls.
 31st of Mar, 2010 by   lekesling 0 Votes
I am currently unemployed and will not be working for some time due to caring for my mother after her stroke. They tell me they can not defer me cause I am not seeking employment and they will get their money one way or another. That sounds like a threat!

Consumer Fraud in Health Care