logo

SCAM

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

America's Choice Reader's Service, Great Falls, Montana Complaints & Reviews - I got scam by America's Choice Reader's Service and now I'm $1,423.03 debt

America's Choice Reader Service Contacts & Informations

America's Choice Reader's Service

Posted:    Louis

I got scam by America's Choice Reader's Service and now I'm $1,423.03 debt

America's Choice Reader's Service
Post Office Box 89 Great Falls
Great Falls, Montana
Phone: 1 800-300-3604
In December 2007 American reader contacted me regarding a magazine subscription promotion, They informed me they got my name and address from Mastercard because I am a card holder. I was told i would get $1000 gift card to spend online, and get membership that can save me a $1000 on groceries. I signed up for a monthly, multi magazine subscription. I was told my magazines would arrive in up to 8 weeks. the next day i get a call from the bank explaining how this withdrawal of $49.98 out of my checking account caused an overdraft... Shocked. I went ahead and try to cancelled my subscription. A month later I received a 'past due' billing for $79 from American Reader. I call customer service and told them I had cancelled my subscription.

I spoke with a lady, who told me that my magazines could take 16 weeks+ to arrive. I told her that was not was originally told/promised to me. she said 'well I am telling you now'. I told her i already cancelled my subscription, she told me that I could not. I ended the call and called back to speak with this lady supervisor, low and behold I was transferred back to the same lady.

I asked for she supervisor, she stated 'I am my supervisor'. I asked to speak with her boss, she said 'my boss does not get on the phone and speak with anybody'. I asked for his bosses name, she refused to give it.

Now I got a letter from Credit & Collection Solutions Inc. saying thats 'there company has been contracted to collect on the debt past due amount $245.35 and balance to pay in full $1, 423.03'. And they say 'as a bonded collection agency they will pursue this matter to matter to the fullest extent allowable by law'.

American Reader claims to be a family owned company doing business in Great Falls Montana. FALSE. The state of Montana has record of this company doing business in their state. I called the Great Falls Montana Chamber of Commerce, who has received many calls/complaints regarding this company. They say that this company does not do business in their town.

They have multiple names, multiple locales. They are scam artists and jerks. If they call you, please just hang up!!
Comments United States Nature & Environment
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of Jul, 2008 by   Samantha Johnson 0 Votes
This company does not know anything about Customer Service. They are absolutely disgraceful. Firstly, they tell me that I will be charged 24.95 for a months supply of magazines. I then see a charge on my account for $59.07 that they are now saying is a 2 months supply. That doesnt even add up!!!
I totally did not agree to pay for a 2 mths supply! After reading the reviews on this site..I decided that I did not want to do business with these people. I called them and told them I want them to remove the charges and cancel my account especially since the charges did not post to my account and nothing was mailed. I was argued with on every single point...the so called supervisor who was very rude by the way..told me he was sure I was told that I would be charged for 2 months...and he was not there..I am not stupid...I know what I was not told. This happened all within 24 hrs.
I repeatedly told him that I want to cancel everything because I do not wish to have any realations with them and I wanted 100% of my money back especially since I did not receive anything and the charges have not posted. It wasnt even 24 hrs! He said he will charge me and I will pay for at least 1 month. I still dont want their magazines and I dont wish to be charged. I dont want anything to do with them.

When a customer is dissatisfied, is it not the company's responsibilty to please them? I have not erred, the company did! Now I want everybody to know that America's choice reader's service are not professional people... they will not put you first as a customer. They will only consider their own selfish desire to sell as many magazines as possible under whatever circumstances. Do not be passive..we must fight organizations like this. Do not be fooled when they call you advertising free shopping sprees and crap... they are a huge scam!
 14th of Jul, 2008 by   natalie 0 Votes
This just happened to me this past week. I kept receiving unknown calls on my phone and when i finally caught one it was a nice lady saying they were doing a new promotion in my area and that i was signed up by my credit card to receive a $1000 gift card. All I had to do was subscribe to a magazine of only 5.67 a month. So being a idiot i gave my information. The next day my credit card was charged 59.00 when i realized this i decided that i didn't want it, but i had no number to call them back. So i called my bank to see if there was anything i could do they said all i could do was dispute it and change my card number. A few days later I got a letter saying thank you for signing up and that i now owe them 1, 400 something. I was shocked and pissed I tried to call but they said they were closed. So i tried to call the next day, still closed then like ten minutes after calling I got another unknown call it was them wanting to verify my subscription. I told some guy that I actually want to cancel, he told me all he could do was lower it to $15.00 a month I told him no i dont want it at all. He was very rude and over talked me and pretty much yelled at me when i repeated that i did not want any magazines. He said that they have already bought the magazines in bulk and that I have to pay them back. After refusing to pay he said he would cancel my subscription and that i will get no other payment charges. But then went on to say that i still get a free gift for $60 in gas etc. I asked if I accept the gifts will i get signed up for something else without knowing. He rudely said he wouldn't send them and hung up on me. I am praying they don't try to bill me next month
 15th of Jul, 2008 by   DG 0 Votes
I am in the same situation right now. Call the Office of Consumer Protection in Montana. They can help you, they know all about this phony company!!!
 21st of Nov, 2008 by   Diane Perez 0 Votes
I too was taken in by this scam. I was called with an offer of a shopping spree. I fell for it and after i did the math I realized the shopping spree was not worth what the cost of the magazines would be so in day's I called to cancel. I still received the magazines and called again and was told they were just residual magazines left over from the original agreement. Further, I never received any shopping voucher and now i am being harassed by the collection agency who tells me they were told the voucher was sent. No it was not. I too was told by the company when i called that a supervisor would call me back and no one ever did. I will not pay a dime of it. I now have these scam tactics from the sites to back me up. thankyou Diane Perez
 17th of Feb, 2009 by   Missouri Mom 0 Votes
I thought that i was the only crazy one who gave up my credit card numbers and i thought the same thing how did they get my cell phone number. The lady told me it was her first day and she needed to support her family and it kinda made me feel bad even though my daughter was just a week old and i was on medication. i just turned twenty and have no idea WHAT TO DO.
 24th of Mar, 2009 by   Poor College Kid 0 Votes
Lol, I thought I was the only one too. Same exact quote, except it was a guy who said it was his first day on the job. I called back within an hour and told them to cancel the subscription and etc. A woman yelled at me for saying it was a scam and that I should have done some research before I accepted the offer. Well, I'm sorry that you 'are' a scamming company? If not, why so defensive? She claimed that she works for a very professional company and they reside in Great Falls Montana, what a coincidence?! Well, finally I got her to do a rollback on the amount that was already charged within minutes of my subscription to the so called magazines. I called my bank to freeze my account and do a little research of where this charge is coming from. They also claimed that I had some kind of business with them earlier that they had gotten my information through that company. The name of my scammer is Jordan Lamberg, don't know exactly if that's his real name.
 31st of Mar, 2009 by   Justifiable 0 Votes
Well I have experienced basically the same as the above. I actaully was told I could cancel my account within 3. days and I cancelled the account within 24 hours. HOwever still see charges comming off my credit card for magazines I dont even receive and on an account I cancelled 1 year ago. This compnay calls me 5-10 times per day even though I have requested them not to call me during my work hours. I faxed America Readers Choice a copy of all my charges I have paid that were not authorized on 03/12/09 and have not received any call back in fact they charged my credit card again even after I proved all the charges that were unauthorized by company on 03/12/09 and I just received a letter stating my credit has been affected and I am past due!, Also I never received anything Shopping spree, Las Vegas Voucher or the gas voucher, nothing they promised anyhow. This company is committing fraud and using the Bait and Switch tactic to lure customers and falsley advertise. I intend to notify every newspaper, congress and every place possible as well as file complaint with Consumer Complaint Division, etc. I will even if possible file a class action against this company as I see so many complaints and same story. This is not right and these Predators need to stop scamming people,

All those who are interested please contact me via email at justifiable59840@yahoo.com
send me your story and complaint as well as what actions you have taken if any. We will tehn hit every office possible bombarding them with letters to stop this company from continuing to do this to other people. I intend to take this al lthe way to the Governors Office and Congress and file as many complaints as possible. I already am in the process so please email me as soon as you can.

We got to stand up and protect others from this company and something must be done.
 5th of May, 2009 by   Doffhaus 0 Votes
I did the same as all you have done. I am from New York. I need help now because these people will not cancel anything on my account. On the very first call I got I did give them my information but as she went over the terms, I told them I did not accept the terms, she sais no problem and hung up. However I am being charged! What can I do now?! I am a twenty year old college student and everytime I call I am told I can not cancel and they are rude and hung up on me. I cant afford this! Please help. I never agreed to the terms. This company makes me sick!
However I do have a number to call...
800-481-1388
Thats the number that was on my paper I recieved.
Continue to call it, I have and they will call you back the first time if you leave a message.
 5th of Jan, 2010 by   T.J. Kampfl 0 Votes
I also keep getting phone calls from this company. They always ask me if the 15th of each month still works for me for payments. I always tell them that I don't make payments and haven't done so in quite some time---I'm talking years. They come up with this line about that being the "introductery period" and that I still owe for 36 months---that is what I agreed to.

I never agreed to anything like that. They never siad anything about an "introductery period" and I keep telling them that.

3 years ago I got a phone call from Credit & Collection Solutions Inc. saying that 'there company has been contracted to collect on the debt". I hung up on them and received no other phone calls or mailings dealing with this.

Readers Service still calls---they just called me at work today and I tell them that I never--ever receive in the mail from them.

I usually just hang up the phone. if they somehow start charging my credit card, I will have my company not accept these charges.

I am so tired of this company and it's many phone calss. Thay are a huge pest.
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   cruzer80 0 Votes
i have several mag. companies and can't afford to keep them going, does anyone have any idea how to get rid of them, i keep thinking i am talking to readers services, but then they say no its readers services of america or family readers club, i have about 6 companies taking money out. how do or what do i do to get rid of them, i am about ready to cancel both my checking account and my debit card? any suggestions i am hurting right now, and can't afford to go to court.
 23rd of Jun, 2010 by   Mihai C 0 Votes
Just got the call today. The guy on the phone agreed to give me his company's name, mentioning only "Reader's Service". The phone number he gave me is 4062633367. I called Montana's Office of Consumer Protection (http://www.doj.mt.gov/consumer/) and they told me they are familiar with it, but it's a legit business, trying to con people with their "sleazy" ways; and that, since I didn't give my phone number, I should not be worried about it. They said they know my home address just because it's public information.

Anyway, the only advice I can give is tell them to f**k off and not ever talk to people without caller id. Common sense.
 26th of Oct, 2010 by   Barbara McDannel 0 Votes
I have had the same thing happen. Only I never talked to anyone on the phone. I did order a subscription for Cats from the Special Olimpics, I don't know how they got my card # unless they got it from them. A guy called and told me I owed $19.99 a month but that I could pay $49.98 every three months. I told him I didn't order them and said to cancel . He laughed and said I couldn't. He harrased me further and I hung up on him. I was charged the $49.98 and it overdrawed my account. I have a debit card, I went to my bank and canceled my card and got a different one. A lady called tonight and said my payment was overdue, I told her I wasn't going to pay, she said she would turn it over to a collection agency. Here is the worst part, I am a 68 year old female, The magazines they were sending were, Forbes, Inc. Maxim, Young Mother, Self, and Money. I am On SSI and living in an independent living facility. Oh the lady that called said she had me on tape ordering the magazines. The Name they gave me was Magazine Club.
Is there anyone that can help me???? They told me I had to pay this for two years.
Barb M
 19th of Nov, 2010 by   armymomma101 0 Votes
I think I am getting the same thing in the past 2 weeks I have recieved 3 phone calls asking if I am getting the magizines that I did pay for and that are paid off and have been paid for for the past 1 or 2 years and want to know about the ones that I have been paying for for the last three months??? Sorry what? I called my card company and verified that I have no new charges for the past three months. No new charges yet and now that I have called my card company they are aware and will call me if there are any new charges but recieved a phone call last night from the "Credit Department " of the readers srevice I was busy so I could not take the call. Of course they said they will call back. And get this I asked them when I paid off the DAMN things to take my phone # off their calling list That I would no longer be interested in their services. So we'll see what happens next if they call agian. My # is on the no call list if they call Agian they will be reported.!
 31st of Mar, 2011 by   jszuklic 0 Votes
OMG this scares me. I got a call from Readers Services today stating that I had agreed to five magazine subscriptions through some promotion and that they were checking to see if I had received them. I had not and did not know what he was talking about. He told me that they would automatically renew and that I owed $79.00 which he would reduce to $59.00. I still had no idea what he was talking about so I asked what promotion and what magazines he was talking about. He had NO IDEA! I told him that I wasn't going to pay for something that I had 1. not agreed to and 2, had never recieved. He threatened me with a collection agency so I asked for proof of this promotion that I agreed to. He never let me finish a sentence and was rude and obnoxius. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he said that there wasn't one there and then proceeded to tell me that the supervisor was monitoring the phone call. When I asked to speak to him again he said he was in another building. I asked for an address/phone number and he said that he was new and didn't know it and politely hung up on me -- the one HE called. Who do we report these people to?
 6th of May, 2011 by   Jessica09 0 Votes
does anyone get charged twice? i have the readers service for like 24.95 then ANOTHER one for 24.95 by someone different. that happen to anyone else?
 21st of May, 2011 by   Angry in Cali 0 Votes
I just received a call from this company today. The jest of the whole 30-minute conversation I had was that I could not call them in any way until I made the first payment (this was supposedly to stop my account from going into Collections). I did not divulge any card information, and told them that I needed verification of their company and my membership to them by calling their Customer Service. They told me I would only get that number AFTER I made my first payment and not before. So I told them I wasn't giving them any more information. They just kept threatening to send it to Collections, then finally said they were just going to do it and I said whatever and hung up, but they kept calling back right afterwards and I kept ignoring their calls. Stand your ground and don't let them take control of the conversation in this case! Your personal information is precious to you, and you should not have to pay a company that will not let you verify anything about them until AFTER you make a payment!
 8th of Jun, 2011 by   Jessica09 0 Votes
has anyone found out a way to stop them? or to get them to back off?
 10th of Jun, 2011 by   NY vic 0 Votes
I have experienced everything said above but the only detail that is different is that they have moved to Florida- They still say they are Readers Services but also go by NAM and show up on your bank statement as Your Best Connection, which seems to be a Wig and Toupe shop. I DO NOT shop at a wig and toupe shop. I have contacted my bank both credit and fraud divisions and will be contactin Floridas Consumer Protection services. I wish the best of luck to everyone who has been victimized by this company.
 13th of Jun, 2011 by   Ladylanz 0 Votes
Me too I have all experience it... I tried to call them but they told they cant cancel my account coz I didnt cancel it earlier... I havent receive any magazines from them then what the heck they are billing me $23 dollars a month or not even one month they - $23 from my account may 20 then charge me again june 2 for another$23 dollars !!! Can someone help me where do I report them ... I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada... I already talk to my credit card company but still this WTH!!! company wont cancel my account so they are still gonna send me letters to my address for my bill ... can someone help me?
 21st of Dec, 2011 by   NytewyndTX 0 Votes
I am dealing with Credit & Collection Solutions, Inc. (CCSI) right now because of an unscrupulous magazine subscription telemarketing company. The magazine service involved in this case is CRC of Virginia (aka: Community Reading Clubs of Virginia). The best thing you can do is spend a little bit of time learning your state's laws on Telemarketing as well as Debt Collections. One tactic both CCSI and CRC of Virginia used was to say that the subscription could not be cancelled and that is was a binding contract because they the conversation "taped" or "recorded." I learned that in both the states involved for me (Indiana and Texas) all agreements made during a telemarketing phone call have to be reduced to writing and sent to the purchaser, signed by the purchaser and returned to the company to be a valid, enforceable contract. Also, in the state involved during the time of the intial "sale" of magazine subscriptions - cancellation has to be allowed within 7 seven days of receiving the first product. So, the agreement/contract they say they have might not even be valid in your case. CCSI violated state law in several different ways, as well. Report these companies to the Attorney General's Office in your state and the state they claim to be operating out of as well as reporting them to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). You can find out how to do this by a simple online search. Also, you can Google "Initial Debt Collection Dispute Letter" and find sites offering form letters that you can print or copy and send them to CCSI, if you have not already. If you fit the criteria for this initial letter this will force CCSI to provide you with written information. The key is getting these companies to send you account information (and in my case I demanded a verified copy of the "written, signed" contract and since then they are backing off and saying they will stop collections, remove the account from collections and close out the account. Learn the basics of your state's laws as they specifically apply to debt collectors and if it applies to you, telemarketing sales. Keep in touch with these companies as best as you can and speak to them as a well informed person who knows their rights. They operate under the assumption that people do not actually know their rights and will believe their bullying, threats and harassment to "protect" their credit ratings that are so important in these tough economic times. If CCSI enters a report on your credit history then follow the steps needed through the credit reporting bureaus to dispute the entry. If you follow the steps and CCSI does not prove up the debt properly then the entry will be removed from your credit history. Don't just sit and worry about this, take action and deal with the companies using state and federal laws set up to protect us from such things.

5 Great Tips How to Save on Entertainment