logo

OmegaStores.com
Buyer beware
3. (55 mins ago)
Trim Down Club
Impossible to get money back, ’coz I have no idea their contact info
4. (56 mins ago)

concession prices

AMC Theaters
Livonia, Michigan
amctheaters.com
I am a regular movie goer but will probably shop more. Recently my wife and I went to the local AMC Theater to see a movie. To our surprise, the cost of concessions has gone up again. That has occurred every two to three months for the last five years. For instance, five years ago the purchase of two small popcorns and two small Diet Cokes was $7 which was about $4 more than outside the theater and quite rediculous. Now those same two small popcorns and two small Diet Cokes cost $17 which is $14 more than outside theater prices which is totally unacceptable. We can go to a fairly good restaurant and have a meal for that price.

That's on top of the $10 each ticket price. For two people the total bill that night was $37 which is not anywhere close to competitive in the movie marketplace for this area and not competitive with other entertainments available. As a result we will not be attending AMC Theaters any longer and encourage other AMC customers to complain through this forum. AMC does not have a complaint or customer interface on their web site.
Comments United States Food
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Feb, 2010 by   cherriez +1 Votes
I agree. AMC is way beyond overpriced. How can you expect to charge so much for a bag of popcorn and some stale nachos?
 24th of Jul, 2010 by   Adym 0 Votes
They sell quite possibly some of the cheapest made foods (pop, popcorn) at absolutely ridiculous prices. It makes me so angry that these companies do this out of greed. How much can two large pops and a large popcorn actually cost to produce? like a quarter? I mean I understand that they have to cover their overhead costs because that is just basic business but for that steep of a markup is, as far as I'm concerned, price gouging and should not be tolerated by anyone.
 15th of Feb, 2011 by   randywelch 0 Votes
Bought a large pocorn and refillable coke for $13 and $19 for 2 tickets =$32. thought for that price we'd see a second movie since the theatre was virtually empty. The girl asked for our ticket and said we could stay but we'd have to buy another ticket. The theatre was empty, I could see if there were even 1/2 full but come on. No more AMC for me, i'll give my money to other theatres
 29th of Mar, 2011 by   Mickie Ehrhardt 0 Votes
Check again. In Springfield IL theaters, it was over $18 for a large popcorn and a drink. And their new twist, you can only get free refills on the large size!!

The have bought out all Kerasotes theaters in this area, so there is no competition. But as I read in previous postings, the theaters are relatively empty. How can they continue to operate like this. I suppose on their movie production corp., but this is ridiculous. No movie is worth $38 for 2 people. I will wait until they come out on DVD.
 27th of Apr, 2011 by   minnie06 0 Votes
Movie theaters charge so much for concessions because they make no money from ticket sales, it goes to the production companies. They need to make money somehow to pay for the electricity, projectors, seats, not to mention pay their employees. Eating at the concessions is not a mandatory prerequisite to see the movies, if the prices are to high then don't buy. They do have something called a kids pack that comes with a kids popcorn (pretty decent size for an adult too), a kids soda (looks like an actual small since their small looks like a medium or something), and a bag of candy all for $6.
 9th of May, 2011 by   Jeff Knight 0 Votes
AMC should be boycotted. The price of movies are over priced and the concession prices are beyond understandable. My wife and I used to go to the movies weekly. Yesterday we went and we were the only people in a just release movies. The lobby itself was basically empty and the parking lot was less than one fouth filled.

I now know that AMC stands for almighty money counts.
Boycott AMC and smile... they deserve empty seats.
 12th of May, 2011 by   AMC Jordan 0 Votes
Jeff and all,

As Minnie06 stated, much of AMC's profit comes from the Concession stand. The economy has slowed and AMC is truly empathetic. We offer discounted box office prices before noon, senior discounts and student discounts in some locations, and limited time concession offers that can be found at http://www.amctheatres.com/Programs_and_Offers/Programs/Limited_Time_Offer/

New, expensive technologies in our field continue to grow, and in order to be the best at what we do, and offer the best possible film experience, AMC has made a commitment to invest in these technologies.

That said, AMC does appreciate the feedback. I truly hope you choose not to boycott AMC locations, so that we can continue to provide the best film experience in the industry
.. Thank you all.

- Jordan from AMC Theatres
 20th of Nov, 2012 by   sherry ordoyne 0 Votes
i found a small local theater to go to. for a family of 5 which includes 2 adults and 3 children amc is just not in my price range. we go to another theather that is 10 extra mins out of our way. its 6.50 for adults after 7pm and 4.75 for kids.The kid packs are 4.75 each and include popcorn, hotdog, drink, and a candy.Now that i found this place i dont think i will return to amc.i love amc i just don't love the prices.

Tips on Buying a New Car