logo

Alabama Power

Posted:    Alex

Bad service

Alabama Power
I live in Alabama and my power bill has doubled since this time last year. I have not been running my heating and cooling system either. I called Alabama power and of course I got a range of excuses. My kwh has increased but I am doing nothing different. I have new appliances and there is only 2 people living in the house. I didn't notice my bill increasing so much till a house was built next to mine. I know that Alabama power has increased there rates but the increase is well above what the increase is suppose to be.
I am disabled and live on a fixed income. My power bill is not far from reaching what my house payment is and I don't have the money. I have no choice but to turn everything off. I run one space heater now and have turned all the lights off. I was just running 3 space heaters before now. I can understanding it increasing with there price increase but doubling is not right.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Jul, 2009 by   Pkwood +3 Votes
Please contact me to discuss joining our organizing a class action lawsuit against Ala. Power. This same scenario is being repeated in epidemic proportions across the country with a large percentage of complaints being here in Alabama.
rdavistopdog@aol.com
 14th of Sep, 2009 by   monstertrucker35 +2 Votes
i'm glad i'm not the only one who despises alabama power. They are a bunch of lying, two-faced, money hungry jerks who will do whatever it takes NOT to work with you!
 6th of Feb, 2010 by   Kenneth Puckett +2 Votes
I have talked with more than a dozen folks in our area that has seen there power bill double sense Alabama Power has installed the new digital meters. Our Bill went from $210.00 to 448.00 dollars from one month to the next. We were told by the sevice lady at Alabama Power, that it was our problem...we need to get it fixed! They got us over a barrel...how can we do anything about it? Its not like we can buy power from somewhere else... Pissed off in Piedmont, Al.
 15th of Feb, 2010 by   LilRed2869 +2 Votes
I contacted Alabama Power about the almost double cost of our power bill and was told that due to the sudden and very dramatic cold snap that we had everyone's bill will be higher due to the massive use of electricity to stay warm. The other excuse I heard one person tell me they got was that now that we all have the "NEW METER" that the "OLD METER" wasn't reading the electricity correctly (meaning in their favor). It's all a bunch of... well I'm sure you can fill in that blank. Yes we are all over a barrel and there is no option for us to change services because they are the only ones supplying power to this area. I would gladly do any and everything I could to go completely solar, generator, or wind. Those options are all very high priced and the common person like our family cannot afford the out of pocket cost to do so. Where does this leave us and is there nothing we can do to stop them from breaking it off in us??? I have spoken to more than my share of people also and it's all the same story. Did you also know that Alabama Power told me that they have gone down on their kw prices??? Have any of you seen that to be true on your bill??? I will continue to look for a way to not need Alabama Power for my family.
 10th of Mar, 2010 by   AL user +1 Votes
Hate, hate them! They inflated prices 15% last year claiming oil price went to high (Alagasco didn't do that). This year, they were forced to lower it. And they did! 1% or something like that! Great gift to customers! My power bills are higher 30% after the new meter was installed and power price went up. Before, I could easely see the numbers and was sure everything is right, now they can reset those remotely to whatever they want. Switch to natural gas whatever you can. Don't get their "free" electric heater - you will pay 3 times of a natural gas one with their rates!
 15th of Mar, 2010 by   Ive been mugged 0 Votes
I to have recieved elevated power bills since the new meters, even though I have a new more efficient heat pump, washer and dryer. This is getting to be rediculous my bill has increased by 50% the last couple of months, anyone want to join me in building a nuclear power plant?
 4th of Apr, 2010 by   WTFalabamapower +1 Votes
Alabama Power is a company that does not care about people. We have had nothing but trouble since we have been living in the service area of Gardendale. They take payments, post them when they want to and will cut your service for any reason. The last for my family we called to have the services cut off because we are moving. We requested the services be cut off April 12, 2010 We went to move some things and sure enough we were cut off for non pay on April 2, two days after our request for disconnection and 8 days before the actual disconnect date.
 26th of Apr, 2010 by   lclark129 +2 Votes
I agree 100%, every since they put in the "New Meter" my power bill has doubled. We have also had a power surge that blew several of our appliances and Alabama Power of course said it was our problem. This is terrible, I have four kids to raise and with the increase of the power bill, it seems like I added another.
 15th of Jul, 2010 by   mad@power +1 Votes
We went on vacation OUT OF STATE for most of the month of June, and before we left, we had a bill of $118 using EVERYTHING in our home; then we came home, and we found a power bill for $189! We weren't even home. We had the thermostat set on 80 degrees so that it would hardly ever kick on. We had the fridge running and that is it. Now tell me how in the hell a power bill can jump like that when no one is even home for the majority of the month and not using anything. I contacted Alabama Power, and they told me that it was because of the heat outside. Ok, it wasn't even that much hotter than when we left! They couldn't explain why we had such a severe jump in usage, when we weren't even home. Now we just got a power bill for $228, and we haven't even used much more power than we normally would.I don't get it! We are on a set income. Alabama Power is a monopoly. There is no one else that we can get power from. We have 2 kids to raise. My husband is a disabled vet. We are both unemployed right now. This is getting ridiculous! We just moved out here in April from Wisconsin, and our power bills were never this crazy out in Wisconsin, and hell we used more power out there because it was so freaking cold! We live in a 3 bedroom mobile home now, so it's not like we have a huge house that is sucking up energy. I am so sick and tired of this. Before too long, our power bill will be more than what we pay in rent! I am NOT going to let this happen!
 2nd of Sep, 2010 by   Crazylady1976 +1 Votes
Well seems I'm not the only one with the power bill problems. When I moved here 7 years ago my power bill was over $500 I purchased a new heat pump and appliances. My power bill dropped to $175-250 per month until they installed the new meters. Now my power bill is back up to $500+. I went on vacation in July for 3 weeks. Turned off everything in my house except my deep freeze, fridge and hot water heater (which shouldn't have been running much since no water was being used) And I still somehow used 2000 kw. When I came back from vacation I never even opened my house back up I set my camper back in my back yard (I expected to use some from running my camper but most of it's power is converted once it gets into the camper.) and started staying in it just to see what was going to happen...and guess what... I've used even more than 2000 kw this month!!! But there was no change from when I wasn't home and to my living in my camper so my questions are...

Where is this power being used at??
Who is using it??

The CSR at Alabama Power can only tell me to go flip off all my breakers. I've did that and guess what...seems our new meters still turn when there's no power being ran thru them.
Think I'm gonna keep living in my camper and run a generator then see what the hell they gotta say for themselves.
 8th of Sep, 2010 by   ihatealpower +1 Votes
OK... thought it was just me. However, now I know it's not. We too were out of town for just about the entire month of June. We have been on budget billing at $170 a month since March (which is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous b/c we live in a 1001 sq ft house). We switched to budget billing b/c March's bill was $334!!! I received June's bill and it indicated that our budget billing amount was going to increase to $195 b/c of our meters. I called SEVERAL times and got BS answers and told them that we were out of town for almost the entire month of June. I just wanted to know why our power bill was so high. We didn't even have an air conditioner...ours went out in early June and we weren't financially able to get it fixed until the middle of July. I asked each phone rep. if they actually came out and read the meter each month. "OH, yes mam... we have to in order to send a bill." Well my husband called the next night and the man said no they didn't read the meter for the month of June because of the dog... WE HAVE HAD THE DOG SINCE CHRISTMAS!!! So... I stopped him there while he was talking and explained to him when we got the dog, and proving to him that they haven't been checking our meter. I never got an honest answer out of anyone. The entire situation is BS and I cannot stand Alabama Power!!!
 17th of Sep, 2010 by   heyraye41 +1 Votes
My budget bill has gone from $215-$563/month in the past year. My electricity usage has gone up by 2000 kw/h with a brand new energy efficient washer and drier. I run the same appliances as I did last year. Although, my bill has been going steadily up all year, it did make a $200/month jump when the new meter was installed. I live in a small home with a mortgage that runs around $500 dollars/month. I am on social security and if I was not on the budget bill plan the Electric Bill would be around $700/month; which is almost as much as I receive in benefits. My brother has a larger home with 7 residents and his power, water, garbage and sewer on the same bill. His bill is marginally lower than mine. All I can say is, "HELP!".

-Confused customer, Alex City, AL
 15th of Jan, 2011 by   linespiderii +1 Votes
I am going through the same problems. I catch the CS Reps in lies. I just moved into my home in August. The highest my power bill got was 233 dollars. They installed the new meter just as soon as I moved in. We had a cold month in November and my bill was 150 dollars. For the month of December it was 409 dollars. I call them up and they claim my house averages a bill this high. I asked them to tell me what the bill on my house was back in December of the previous year when the old owner was still living. They said it was 426 dollars. I contacted the old owner and was told they never had a bill over 250 dollars. When I called back to tell them this the lady said the bill for last December was 403 dollars. So I caught them in one lie there. They also said they checked my meter and it was found to be accurate. Of course no one ever came out. The next time I talked to them they said they didnt' have to come out to check it. After this call I called a few days later and they said someone came out to check it on the same date the one guy already said they didnt have to come out to check it.
 20th of Jan, 2011 by   Jeff5851 +1 Votes
I'm not going to share my story cause it's the same as everybody else. I just hope that someone from Alabama Power reads this and if it's you GO TO HELL. People they are not going to do anything about it. We the people are the only ones that can. Think about that. I don't know how to start a forum but my email is
jeffcook5851@gmail.com Maybe we need to start one. These people need to be over thrown and took over. We are our own ENEMY if we don't do something .
 27th of Jan, 2011 by   3463davis +2 Votes
Yes! To the last post! Something has to be done now! Protest is in order. Emails and forum want help us. Only a large body of people will stop these Shenanigans! After all, are we not Americans! Well, I am, are you? There is a problem with America, and the cause is you and I and your friends and family. The problem is that we LET the Government and Companies like Alabama Power just simply control our lives. All we do is complain over the phone. Help me, help you. Facebook me or email me if anyone would like to Protest. davispatrick41@gmail.com... Only you can help.
 28th of Jan, 2011 by   Jeff5851 +1 Votes
I'm in. Great post we need a way that everybody can meet and build a large body of people and plan for protest and have the news get involved so even more people can see. The problem is like you said lots of people just complain. Just say we are going to be at Alabama power to protest I don't think anybody will show. Maybe my problem is I have lost faith in the American people cause no one will do anything. And our Government does suck no one in the White House gives a crap all they care about is making each others pockets fatter.Making up job titles for each other. Don't forget the 5 Trillion $ that dumb A-- has spent and I close to being out of work. Now gas prices are going sky high. Somebody tell me why they have to profit 100 billion's of dollars a year once again the Government does nothing Let me tell you why. They all are slipping money in each others pockets and the economy falls more but do you think they see it NO cause when you make $500 Thousand dollars a year you can't tell a difference. What happened to what our 4 Fathers built? People we have been CHEATED and we are paying for it. I love my Country but this is not how it started. I could keep going but I'm out of time so I'm going to sign off with I hope all you S.O.B's in the White House, Oil company & ALABAMA POWER get wind of this and they can go to hell. Stop laying down people take a stand Email jeffcook5851@gmail.com THEY WILL HEAR MY VOICE Thank you
 28th of Jan, 2011 by   Jeff5851 +1 Votes
Sorry about the numbers that popped up I check over it before submitting. That's strange
 25th of Feb, 2011 by   Stressed Small Business Owner 0 Votes
I called the Public Service Commission and it was explained to me that Alabama Power takes a 15 min period of your kw usage (they pick a time when it's the highest useage, and this was approved by the Public Service Commission!) to base my monthly rate (and they can use this 15min period forever). That seems unconstitutional to me. If something isn't done about this a lot of small business will go under due to power bills! If they can read these meters from somewhere else can they manipulate them to read the useage that they're coming up with from this 15min period instead of my actual useage? And when speaking to Alabama Power, they couldn't explain to me how they were coming up with the kw hours that were on my bill. Whoever heard of coming up with a number for useage and multiply it by 40 to get my total charge on my bill?! But this is what they're doing.
 13th of Apr, 2011 by   BCJBRADEN 0 Votes
I despise Alabama Power!!! Any other company is willing to help you when you're going through hardships...all they have is "budget billing" which is no budget at all and then when you reach out to them b/c you are unable to pay your $400 power bill on time they say, "Sorry you're eligible for disconnect, so there's nothing we can do"
The last time my power was disconnected we had to pay over $1, 000 to get it turned back on. They charged a $250 reconnect fee (which took all of 10 min. for him to come out to reconnect it) along with other fees for God only knows what. It seems like their CS people get paid extra to be rude. I hate hate hate Alabama power!!!
 16th of Aug, 2011 by   butterfliege 0 Votes
I have had it with ALabama Power everytime we have some money left the power bill sucks it in. We where on a bugded bill so our bill was 181 the regular bill but we have to pay 308 what kind of budget is that??? Funny Budget billing you people must be thinking we are stupid!!!
If anybody is out there that is fed up with this crazy billing please contact me at my email schnickelfritz2003@yahoo.com
maybe together we can do something because I would like to have some money left before I kick the bucket!!!
Please lets do something together what ever it is we can do!!! HELP!!!

Cash Machine Scam