logo

Posted:    Bo Bradshaw

littering

Atlanta Journal Constitution
Atlanta, Georgia
The AJC REACH has been littering the sidewalks and streets of my city for many months now and I'm over it!! We have asked them nicely to use another means of distributing their flyers but they insist on hiiring people who drive down the street and throw them on the sidewalk and street in front of your house. Some people have no sense when it comes to issues of littering. I subscribe to the paper but will be cancelling soon if they persist in littering my city!
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Mar, 2010 by   StopAJCReach +1 Votes
Just today I saw hundreds of these littering our streets and sidewalks, as I was out on a short walk. In many places, newly delivered ad circulars are starting to pile up on top of old ad circulars, and this litter in our neighborhood is getting worse.

While individuals can call AJC Reach to opt-out of the driveway drops, that doesn't solve the broader problem that these advertising circulars are littering our neighborhoods, including our neighborhood in Virginia Highland.

Despite the efforts of many people to resolve the problem privately and amicably, the problem remains unresolved.

Thus, it appears necessary to further organize our neighborhoods, and to take the next steps of applying economic and public pressure on AJC to stop littering our neighborhoods.

So at the same time that some of our friends in the community are checking into the possibility for citing the AJC for appearing to be in violation of city codes; and other friends in the community are working with our elected officials to attempt resolve the problem by that means; here are additional resources intended to a) organize the community and b) encourage the AJC to make changes to its distribution method for AJC Reach advertising circular:

1. There is a an excellent facebook fan page that is a hub for discussion at:

AJC Reach: Stop Littering Our Neighborhoods!

2. Supplementing the facebook fan page, is an informational/cause website that has the same desired outcome (getting AJC Reach to stop littering our neighborhoods):

StopAJCReach.org

This website is intended to work side-by-side the excellent facebook group, it will be highly indexed by Google, and can be helpful for those of us not on facebook. There are links to the facebook group and this Yahoo group, to make it easy to navigate back and forth.

How You Can Help:

If you're sick and tired of AJC Reach littering our neighborhood, here's what YOU can do to help accomplish the result of stopping driveway drops of AJC Reach:

1. To stop AJC Reach delivery to your home: Call AJC Reach customer service: 404-526-9473

2. Boycott AJC Reach advertisers: If you're so inclined, boycott AJC Reach advertisers until AJC Reach stops littering our neighborhoods.

3. Join the Facebook group: AJC Reach: Stop Littering Our Neighborhoods!

4. Follow us on Twitter: @StopAJCReach

5. Spread the word: tell your neighbors and Atlanta friends about StopAJCReach.org ; ask them to join the Facebook group at AJC Reach: Stop Littering Our Neighborhoods! ; and ask them to follow us on Twitter at @StopAJCReach

6. Upload your photos: See copies of AJC Reach littering your neighborhood? Use your camera phone or digital camera to take a photo of each ad circular you see, and upload your photos to the photo gallery.

Please help spread the word by sharing these resources with your neighbors and together we can get AJC Reach to stop littering of our neighborhoods.
 5th of May, 2010 by   newspapers -2 Votes
Thousands and thousands of people are screaming to create jobs. The ajc has been doing the same thing for years!!! You must live well if you are sceaming about such things as that!! Its a depression going on and people need their jobs!!! You are just not Thinking about the middle class working folks Are you??? No consideration at all!!! Get a life and focus on something beside worring about a newspaper being thrown in your yard! Someday you are going be given something to REALLY worry about besides newspapers!!! I am sure you have a recycle bin somewhere. just throw them and that and shut up!!
 19th of Jul, 2010 by   Old folks in Chamblee +2 Votes
My wife and I, both elderly and physically disabled, have been complaining about the AJC reach, and other neighborhood newspapers and advertising drek, left UNSOLICITED in our drive. Although customer service promises it will cease immediately, it persists.

We have to pay young neighborhood kids to clean our drive when the papers are littering our yard. The money spent paying these young folks could be spent buying our medicines or food.

The only answer I can envision is to legislate littering, including the unsolicited neighborhood papers and advertising. Make it a crime punishable by $100-$1000 per incident.

Regardless of the economic climate, people should not have the right to drop anything unsolicited into another person's domain.

Our neighborhood police said these papers left in drives are responsible for many robberies.

I am making it a point to contact and admonish anyone advertising in these papers/advertising circulars
 27th of Jul, 2010 by   StopAJC-Crap +2 Votes
To newpapers poster: Your right to a job is not a right to litter public nor private property! You should check your morals if you think this is a decent job to have! For god's sake go to work at McDonald's and you would get a little respect! I am below middle-class work and just a tad about poor-class worker. I have a life and my life does not want to pick up litter from AJC!
 20th of Oct, 2010 by   emd2030 0 Votes
I called the phone number on the AJC Reach to stop the unwanted deliveries. I couldn't believe it when I dialed and heard the number was disconnected. So I went to the trouble of looking up the AJC and had them transfer me to the correct extension. After stating I did not want the AJC Reach being thrown in my driveway, I was asked if they could mail it to me.

I understand that businesses are looking for any venue to advertise and increase their business. I support the capitalistic system we have in our country which I believe leads to companies creating jobs. As part of this society, I get to choose what I want thrown in my yard and having the opportunity to curtail one more unwanted advertisement was something I couldn't pass up.

Anyone who wants to curtail the unwanted delivery of the AJC Reach should take the time and effort to make it happen. I am glad to see that many others feel the same way I do and don't want to see it littering our neighborhoods. While the AJC Reach is unwanted by many I still am amazed at how irresponsible so many residents are that don't pick up trash like this. If they don't want it they could easily call in or email and have the delivery stopped. Why are people so lazy and shiftless? It took only a couple minutes and I am now AJC free.

I think this issue is indicative of how pathetic so many citizens are in regards to being responsible for maintaining their property in an attractive and aesthetically pleasing manner. Our homes are our most expensive asset and seeing how folks let litter pile up and don't show respect or consideration for their neighbors who would like to keep up appearances is rather disappointing. Why do people not take personal responsibility and just clean up. Calling in and canceling the AJC Reach delivery is part of "cleaning up" and not rocket science.

Train Fares Increase for 2013