logo

2. (12 mins ago)
HireRight
Background check
3. (15 mins ago)
Education Credentials Evaluators, Inc.
Transcript Evaluation
4. (16 mins ago)
ASK NOW
STOLE MONEY
5. (21 mins ago)
Skycare ehr
Misleading product ( electronic medical records )

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

AIL/ American Income, Camp Hill, Pennsylvania Complaints & Reviews - job opportunity scam- beware

AIL/ American Income Contacts & Informations

AIL/ American Income

Posted:    john smith

job opportunity scam- beware

AIL
702 lisburn rd
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Phone: 717-975-3454
Today I received a recruiting phone call from AIL, also going by American Income Life Insurance saying they were responding to my submission of a resume to them, which took me off guard because I actually had submitted my resume to many different places and was not sure of all the jobs I had submitted for. So eager to find a job with a layoff 4 weeks away, and this being my first call back about an interview so far, I continued the conversation. It struck me as extremely strange how quickly the "HR rep" said his company's name and his own and moved right on to asking me a couple of "preliminary interview" questions about a supposid management position for this new office they had in central PA. I found it to be extremely weird that he was at all pleased about my rushed, taken off guard-type answers I gave him, and how quickley he said "great, we'd like to have a sit down interview with you tomorrow at 10:20 am". Eitherway I agreed, and came back to my desk in which I explained to my fellow co-worker what had happened, and he let me know that it was an insurance sales scam that he had gone through 9 years ago, and his story was exactly the same as all the other complaints you will read on this page. Also, some things to consider about positions like this are door to door sales jobs in which you are an independent contractor, meaning AIL does not have to pay you benefits, and also that anythign they will pay you in the first year will be taken out of any income you produce on your own. I.E. you make nothing. All of the people I see on here defending the company are obviously working for the company to do just that, try to dispell the truths about the company on blog pages like this. If you are a salesman with this company and you actually think you are going to rake in the money and retire at 40 as I saw one person write...I would say that maybe you should comment on your status after you have been with the company for more than 2 months..."they sold you and you just haven't realized it yet!!!" These guys are wolves in sheeps clothing. I concluded my 1/2 hour long experience with this outfit by calling back the # provided to me to reference if I had any questions (which of course went to a generic voicemail with no prompts) and let them know to lose my number and resume and that I didn't appreciate the phone call or misleading approach they took. I PRAY that someone responds to my voicemail by actually calling back so I can really sound off.
Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of May, 2009 by   JIIB 0 Votes
I received a similar call. I was out so they left a voice message saying the company was "AIL Central PA" with the phone number 717-975-3454. They "saw my resume and had a few questions for me on it" indicating an interest, so please call. Since I did not apply to any company names AIL Central PA, I figured it as something I should stay as far away from as possible. I couldn't even understand the person's name after replaying the message about five times. I began thinking this is another one of those independent contractor scams with no benefits or base pay and basically anyone who can create a resume that says "sales experience" without misspelling it will be a potential candidate. My search of the name pulled up this web site and the above complaint. ... THANK YOU! It is tough enough finding a real job without having to deal with this *&%$*@#!
 13th of May, 2009 by   silvertip257 0 Votes
I received a phone call today from a manager named Cynthia at AIL [717.975.3454]. I happened to miss the call and it went to voicemail ... I could hardly understand the person's name and almost even the company name - I had to replay the message 3 times before I had all the info.

I called the number back and spoke with an agent right away (not an automated system) who forwarded my call to Cynthia.

She explained to me where she had come across my resume and that it passed a preliminary screening process. Then she began to ask me questions: Would I want to continue working in the IT field? My answer yes ... "we're sorry but we do not currently have any IT jobs". She quickly cut the conversation off and hung up.

Waste of my time.
My resume blatantly states my objective and any related career fields I would consider ... sometimes people just need to read.
I called back almost 30 minutes later and the manager claimed it was 10 to 15 minutes later ... ha!
 13th of May, 2009 by   AdamD. 0 Votes
I literally just received the same exact phone call from the same number [(717) 975-3454] and was also instructed to meet Chris for an interview at 10 am Tomorrow at 702 Lisburn Road and that I would need to get company references to back up my work experience.

I was a little shocked to even get a phone call, but I was excited someone contacted me. The phone call was very scratch so I couldn't quite understand the name of the company; so I came online and checked my online resume to see who looked at it. That is where I discovered it was "AIL". Not knowing exactly who they were, I googled them, found their online home page, and this one. I'm so glad that I clicked on this one. Your story is exactly like mine and I couldn't believe it. Thank God I didn't contact my coworkers to ask for references, I would have looked foolish.

I just called them back to let them know I would not be in. At first I suspected the phone would not be answered, but after four rings a woman answered, the conversation was as follows:

Receptionist: "Hello AIL"

Me: "Hi, I just had a phone conversation from someone named Chris, and I just wanted to let him know I am no longer interested in the position."

Receptionist: "Oh OK, your name?"

Me: "Name"

Receptionist: "OK, I'll let him know, thank you."

Me: "Thank you."

So, Thank you for posting this. I'm going to go to www.abc27.com and post a topic about the very same thing. I can't believe I almost fell for this; Thank you again.
 13th of May, 2009 by   Danner 0 Votes
Same deal just a few minutes ago, said they looked at my resume via HACC and wanted to give me a mid-management position. I always Google the name when I get a offer like this and came accross this information. Thanks for the posts.
 18th of May, 2009 by   ckh 0 Votes
Thank you so much for this info. I just received a call from them 10 minutes ago and got the same conversation. I was excited for a job interview and after getting off the phone started wondering how they could be interested in me since the call caught me off guard and I was not pleased with the way I answered their questions. I talked to a woman named Tia and was also told that they only had 10:00 AM appointments. After finding this website I thank God for the information and am canceling the interview. When people are out of a job and are looking for one I think that these people should be ashamed of themselves for wasting our time and money.
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by   mensafrog 0 Votes
I just got the same thing but it came in the form of an email saying that they didnt have my phone number...even though it is clearly listed at the top of my resume! It was signed by a "Liz Horetzky, HR Mgr". They must have a lot of turnover there...LOL. Thanks for posting this...it helped me avoid wasting my time.
 3rd of Jun, 2009 by   Dizzle 0 Votes
Ha I set up an appointment with Liz tomorrow at 10am. She said after looking at my resume, that I met the qualifications for a "management position." It strikes me as weird because I have no management experience. I think I'm going to pass on the interview with the "regonal manager." I'm glad I did a little research before wasting my time going there. Thanks for the heads up.
 17th of Jun, 2009 by   vacuumfolder 0 Votes
I am suprised AIL isnt getting more bad rap here. This Co. and its agencies have the worst hiring practices, with a 96 % turnover rate and false union benefits, DO NOT fall for this scam
 18th of Jun, 2009 by   missrh2008 0 Votes
I just received this same call! I got a call from Liz as well. She wanted to set me up for an interview tomorrow. She did not ask any questions or seem to care much about my experience. I am always cautious when someone mentions a "management" position, since I am right out of school. The strange thing is that she said AIL was a Labor Union Benefit Company, that meets with unions in the area. I received the same address and phone number as everyone else.

I will definitely not be going to my scheduled appointment on Tuesday. I am disgusted that there are such terrible people out there looking to scam others. Soo glad I did my research first!
 23rd of Jun, 2009 by   mikeman102 0 Votes
So glad you posted this. Had the same call and everything today from same number. She didn't keep consistent with what their company did or their name. Additioanlly, they wouldn't let me request a different day or time for the interview, so that added to the skepticism. I live an hour away, so thank you ver very much for saving me the wasted time and energy.
 3rd of Jul, 2009 by   Older and Wiser 0 Votes
Thanks heavens for the Internet and search engines! When you are unemployed and having been looking for a job for months with no success, an unexpected call from a recruiter offering an interview is exciting and an immediate morale builder. But after the same type of short phone call from Liz at AIL in Camp Hill that the others on this site received, I reflected on what had just happened. Why didn't Liz ask me more questions? Why didn't she offer more informaiton about the company and the position? I had specifically asked her to send me an email confirming the meeting and with information about the position, but it was just a short date, time and place confirmation. I phoned the office number, talked to who answered the phone (Liz was unavailable - surprise!) and repeated my request for email information about the position. When after a while I had received nothing, I sent an email reply to the original messaage from Liz to cancel the meeting and never contact me again. Thanks to all of you for sharing your negative experiences about the AIL recruiting process.
 22nd of Jul, 2009 by   suspicious31 0 Votes
I received a phone call today from a woman who said she saw my resume on hotjobs and wanted to interview me for a management position. She said the position is one in which the employee reviews benefits with union representatives. After reviewing my resume on hotjobs, I saw that it is listed as unsearchable. I googled A.I.L. and found this site. It makes much more sense now.
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   jessika420 0 Votes
Just received the email... this is so frustrating. I am in desperate need of a "REAL" management position and it is just sick that these people are able to stir up false hope for people looking for legitimate employment. I too have posted so many apps and wasn't sure if AIL was one of them so I goggled the "company" all excited to see where I could possibility be working in the near future and came across this blog. VERY disappointed, but VERY thankful for all your posts. I will be calling them per their email to give them a few choice words.
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   jessika420 0 Votes
I just posted my complaint above and wanted to post the scam e-mail I received this morning here for all to see:

Attention Applicant,

Earlier this week I received your application / resume from one of the Job Boards that our company works with, (Monster, CareerBuilder, Hot Jobs).

However at this time the only contact information that I have is your email address as your phone number did not load properly.

I am interested in setting up a first interview with our Regional Director at your earliest convenience.

Please contact me Wednesday or Thursday at 717-975-3454 between 12:30pm and 3:00pm so that I can schedule your interview.

Sincerely,

Camp Hill, PA 17011

Phone 717-975-3454

Fax 717-975-3525
 29th of Jul, 2009 by   Zembo 0 Votes
I recieved a very similar call. Since I have an English degree with no manageent exp, I was of course flattered. However, I couldn't remember the exact name of the company and so I looked up the phone number: (975-3519). I tried the number to ask to reschedule but got someone named "Lou". I'm just glad I found this page (especially on a day when I am sick as a dog.)
 30th of Jul, 2009 by   slody911 0 Votes
I received a call from Beth the H.R. Manager of AIL of Central Pa. Curious about the company I googled them and it led me to this site. I felt something was wrong when I did not apply to this company but they were contacting me for an interview. Thanks for the info
 3rd of Aug, 2009 by   lbrbenfitsls 0 Votes
Just got the call from Camp Hill- saw your resume on Monster. Thanks so much for the info here. Saved me 2 hrs of driving and a wasted morning.
 4th of Aug, 2009 by   dogboy +1 Votes
i just got the exact same email that jessika420 posted above. if i lived closer and had the time, i would actually go to an interview and act like a total jackass. perhaps i'd say awful and weird things. maybe come on to the females there and make everyone at that damn place feel very uncomfortable for doing what they do. yeah.
 13th of Aug, 2009 by   MaryM80 0 Votes
Oh my gosh I'm so glad I googled! Here I am scrambling because I thought I missed the opportunity to set up an interview and I see the same exact email posted above! Thanks so much
 25th of Aug, 2009 by   Jennifer929 0 Votes
I have an interview scheduled for tomorrow (8/26/09) at 10 a.m. and came across this site when googling the company's address. I'm so glad I did! I too received a voice mail from a girl named Liz, and when I called back, she was very eager to schedule an interview, as my resume showed that "I meet all of the qualifications for a management position that involves providing benefits to labor unions." At first I was a little put off, as she yawned at one point during the voice mail-very unimpressive!-but I figured I would schedule the interview and see what it's all about. But, after reading what seems to be a scam, I 'd rather not waste time on my day off! Thanks for all of your posts!

Tax Tip: Avoid Phishing Scams