logo

Posted:    Oliver

Scam and lies

ADT
adt.com
I worked for ADT and found that they had discriminatory business practices. They discriminated in their pricing of systems for minority customers and also low income communities. Their management practices suck - if you complain about anything they make up some crap and fire you. I complained about how they were treating a disabled customer - I found that within hours - I was accused of a host of untrue stuff and within a week terminated.

Be very cautious of this company they have a ton of stuff on line and in their training describing how fair and nondiscriminatory they are - and then blame you find out its all lies after a month.

WATCH OUT for ADT Alarms and Tyco Corporation big liars.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Feb, 2010 by   Alvin Howell +1 Votes
I purchase a camares system that are have issue with interfence with the wire in my home a have got in contact with aarp they told aarp a bunch of lie i am have my attorney get contact with the president and ceo dave knack he can be contact at 3601 Eisenhower Avenue 3rd Floor Alexandria, VA USA 22304 Phone: 703-317-4200 Fax: 703-317 this need to stop play with people llife they are many way to deal with adt call the bbb in your city or the consumer affair department.I am very upset with how i and being treat be up mangement like i am lie or miss inform it is was it no more no less.
 28th of Jul, 2010 by   jackzack001 -1 Votes
ADT Security is a joke! And a ripoff too!
I know because I worked for them for almost 2 years as a commercial and residential service engineer in Arizona.
I designed, installed and tested technical security systems at US embassies and consulates before I retired from the USG and went to work for ADT. I am an electronic engineer and had specialized USG training in all aspects of technical security. I did military communications systems engineering for 23 years prior to working in security.
When ADT hired me, they promised 30 days of training and I got nothing! They also said I would earn $75k but it was less than half that amount. And ADT managers, who knew nothing about security, expected and demanded that service personnel do at least 7 service calls per day, regardless of the complexity of the problem. Service crews were sent out with no parts and often had to call other service personnel to see if they were nearby and had the part needed.

ADT installs alarm systems that do not work and when a burglary does happen, they tell the customer ADT is not liable since the customer did not test his alarm system monthly as they are supposed to do.
Most homeowners would not even know if their system was communicating or not with ADTs monitors (they either have a communication link over a telephone circuit or a wireless connection via a cell radio transmitter). I personally saw situations where the system was installed and not working properly and the customer had been paying for months or up to a year without knowing it.
Yet despite all the shortcomings, ADT sees fit to charge $30-40 a month for a false sense of security - it's all about profit and little to do with customer service and satisfaction.
And ADT has no installation standards, installer training, or spare parts on service trucks. I was sent to one customer’s home which was about a 1 hour ride away; when I arrived he needed a few standard 1.5 volt batteries and I had none on my truck. I had to drive to the nearest Ace hardware and buy them using my own money. At other residences, I found the heavy alarm panel mounted with only drywall screws (it was falling off the wall), exposed conductors on wires, panels installed upside down, and sensors that had been installed days ago falling off.
ADT sales reps know little about security principles and how to design a proper alarm system. They advertize the $99 special, which is OK for a studio apartment at best, and then use the bait and switch scam to get the customer to shell out $1000 or more for an “expanded” home alarm system. Sales reps are out to maximize the total sale dollar amount since they get paid on commission.
And ADT will take over any system ever installed by anyone else, as long as the customer pays the $30-40 monthly fee. Then ADT will not have trained personnel or parts to support these odd ball systems when they do fail.
Buyer beware! It is a known fact that a big guard dog is a better deterrent for burglary! And keep in mind that a critical factor for any alarm system is the time it takes for police to respond to the alarm– if you are in a remote location and it takes 30 minutes for police to get there, burglars have this much time to crash and grab.
 27th of Jan, 2011 by   Shoalside 0 Votes
January 22, 2011 into January 23, 2011, A Saturday night (or early Sunday morning) ADT locked out my alarm system. My system was originally installed by Sentry, which was bought out by ADT the latter of which sent me an introductory letter advising me of such by out. Yet I received no phone call, no letter, no email advising me that they were intending to lock out my system unless I agreed to purchase their monitoring. i found out about it when i woke up on Sunday morning and couldn't turn off my alarm, having to call ADT for help. "Help" is a term that I use very loosely. i had to agree to pay for monitoring before ADT would "attempt" to help, so I did. A technician came and left. There was nothing that he could do because ADT had none of my information on their computers. The technician's boss said for $99.00 they could replace a part so my system would again work. I declined. I did not cause all this confusion; ADT did and they can pay to fix it.
 28th of Mar, 2011 by   LorreesWorld 0 Votes
 12th of May, 2011 by   HSN 0 Votes
I recently had an ADT system installed in my aged mother's home as a measure of extra security for her. The salesman told me that if I referred ADT to someone else and they installed a system, my mother would be sent a check for $125.00. I referred ADT to her next door neighbor and immediately called the salesman to tell him that I did so. He said that if the neighbor went ahead with the installation, ADT would proceed with the process of issuing the check. The neighbor got the system installed and I heard nothing from ADT, so I called the salesman who informed me that Oh, no, I should have gone through the proper procedures before the neighbor's installation in order to get the check. I reminded him of our conversation, and he said, oh, I thought you didn't want the money. My mom is on a fixed income, she can use all the help she can get, financially and otherwise. The upshot is that ADT told me that they cannot go back and correct the error. Gee, what a surprise.
I wouldn't recommend that gang of thieves to anybody. Don't trust them, they'll lie through their teeth to get business and then shaft you.
 1st of Jul, 2011 by   Sabal10 0 Votes
After reading the complaints here, it seems that there may be a majority of them being made against ADT dealers as opposed to Corporate ADT installers, service, etc. I worked for ADT for almost 40 years and am now retired, and I worked in every phase of the companies operations, installation, service and management positions. The company described by most of these complaints does not remotely resemble the company that I worked for, and that I know for a fact, still exists in the area where I live. I am not here to say that, like any other company, ADT does not have it's problems and does not have problem employees. What I can say is, that if these problems are properly addressed with the proper people in the ADT organization, they will be dealt with in a fair manner. Please do not judge ADT by the quality of their authorized dealers, this has long been a problem for the company, and I don't like most of them either. Your best bet is to deal with ADT corporate operations when having an alarm installed, and make sure you are dealing with them as some dealers have been known to lie and represent themselves as corporate people. I could go on and on for quite sometime about what I have read here, but, suffice to say that nothing, including any organization, is perfect all the time, but please don't try to make people believe that ADT is the leader in this business for no reason. They didn't get to where they are by furnishing the type of service I read about here, and they certainly do not approve of it at present. Find the right people in the local ADT organization to handle your complaint, and if that fails, get the name of the regional manager responsible for your complaint. Most of all, although I know it's hard to do, don't equate the service you received from a dealer with the service that ADT condones. ADT has some problem employees and sometimes the training is not what it should be, but when you encounter this, let the higher ups in your region know so they can intervene.
 19th of Mar, 2012 by   AntonioSMalls 0 Votes
ADT is not perfect but if you speak to the right person they will solve your problem rather quickly.
For rebates Deals Specials and or billing and technical problem I use this number normally a supervisor will help you 1888-720-5982 mon thru friday 8am to 11pm saturday 9am to 10am sunday 10am to 6pm @ eastern time hope this helps you all. I use this number for additional credit and tech issues.
 21st of Mar, 2012 by   Shoalside 0 Votes
Fact: ADT Corporate is responsible for it's dealers.
ADT is widely known for it's lack of professionalism; even Jay Leno has gotten many laughs when including ADT in his monologues!
 3rd of Dec, 2012 by   willrider 0 Votes
I recently tried to get some info from adt on the phone. the person i spoke with must have had a one track mind. all he could do was demand my full address. i tried to ask a simple question and all he could say was "what is your home address" i gave him my zip code street name and city. all i wanted was some info. "i need your home address" I asked him why he needed that just to answer some questions and he just hung up on me. ADT sucks big ones!!!

Help for Start-Ups