logo

Airtel
No network since last 8 days
3. (23 mins ago)
Indiacakes.com
indiacakes.com Cheating with high price...
4. (25 mins ago)

Achieve Card Mastercard

Posted:    antqlvr

Scam

Achieve Card
This company solicited a debit card with a fee. I thought I was signing up for a prepaid card and activated it online. There is now a minus of 30.00 worth of (THEIR) charges just to have the card and - not a phone number or contact information in site so that I can ask them to cancel the card.

Comments United States Credit Cards
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Achieve Card Mastercard complaints
Achieve Card Mastercard - rip off fees

Comments

27th of Sep, 2009 by   Noel D. 0 Votes
what are you talking about? the phone number is on the front page to the left. 1-800-486-0273.
There is a monthly fee of 9.95 and the activation fee will be waived if you use direct deposit. Not sure why you are being charged $30...that doesn't add up.
 27th of Sep, 2009 by   Noel D. 0 Votes
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   Annie B +2 Votes
I have several phone numbers listed on this mailing. I will list them here for you. I received this card in the mail UNSOLICITED & UNREQUESTED! How dare they! That alone should tell you something. Also, when I called to complain, the person who answered the phone laughed at me. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he refused, though he said he would be glad to cancel the card.. I then told him that I wanted a physical address and a name of a CS manager at that address so that I could write them a letter. I was on hold, then he gave me to a supervisor (I guess?) That person did say he would remove my mailing address from their list, never to contact anyone at this address again. We shall see. I asked for contact info. and after some fooling around he offered me a PO box and the first name & last initial of a person I was to write the letter to. I told him that I have done this many times, and NEVER has anyone tried to pull that one, and only once have I been given a PO box and the letter was returned to me. Several months later the company was on the news as a scam. This bank is Palm Desert Bank in CA, but the amiling address is inAusten Tx. Folks, NEVER give anyone you don’t know access to your bank info. NEVER!!! And if you do not they then charge you ten bucks a MONTH? What’s up with that? Hello. Your bank will give you a debit card for free. Toll free #’s are: 800-206-2956 (this is to activate your card, probably automated) 800-313-833 (the # I called to ream these people out. Press 3 to get past the BS to a person) 800-486-0273 and 866-777-0971.
 28th of Oct, 2009 by   AchieveCard -1 Votes
AchieveCard RESPONSE
I really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. The AchieveCard team constantly strives to improve our products and services to ensure that our cardholders are satisfied with the quality they receive. The Activation Fee is a one time fee that can be waived, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions we included in the information we sent you. We know that it is difficult to read through every piece of mail. That is why we want you to contact us when you have questions about the product and services we offer. You can waive the $9.95 activation fee when you sign up for direct deposit within 30 days of activating your AchieveCard. This information is also included in the original card offering mail piece you received when we first contacted you. For additional information please visit us online at AchieveCard.com, and to speak to one of our customer service representatives you can call us toll free at 1-800-486-0273. At AchieveCard we remain committed to making it convenient for you to reach us. I hope you consider giving me a call. I look forward to the opportunity to talk to you. We want to make things right, and I plan to work hard to earn your business -and your trust. Sam D, Call Center Manager, AchieveCard
 12th of Nov, 2009 by   jason13 +1 Votes
I had direct deposit set up. With every other account I have ever had in my life the money woudl post if not at midnight at least at the same time on pay-day. With this account it could be there at noon one week or 5pm another. I waited on hold for at least forty minutes when I called to find out what was wrong. Mind you I had to press for stolen cards to get a live person as they dont respond to e-mails or offer a option for live help. Then when I finally got through was told that "Well I just dont know" Then asked for manager. AFter having the same rep who JUST DIDN'T KNOW come back on the line 4 times and finally telling me teh manager "WAS TOO BUSY WITH REAL PROBLEMS" to talk me wanted me to leave my phone #.

They have lost my business and YOU SHOULD RUN AWAY FROM THIS BANK!!!
 13th of Nov, 2009 by   fashiongrad12172008 0 Votes
if anyone decided to go with a walmart prepaid card and had a good experience then you will be surprise to know that that is actually a ACHIEVE CARD just with walmart one it. If anyone brought a GREENDOT card after their experience with achieve card you will be surprise to know that green dot is also an achieve company and GREENDOT owns all these cards

AND THEY REPORT YOU TO THE CREDIT BEURA IF U PAY A BILL ON TIME BUT THEY DONT REPORT IT TO THE MAJOR 3 CREDIT COMPANY SO WHATS THE POINT

each prepaid card have a gimmick even though its all under one company but THE BEST PREPAID CARD IS THE MAIN GREENDOT ONE THE ONE THAT SAYS GREENDOT ON IT IS THE BEST never had any problems
 26th of Nov, 2009 by   Lisa from Hawaii 0 Votes
so actually when you get this card in the mail you shouldn't activate it till you get money to put on it...even so when you finally do put money on it you get charged each month 9.95...even if your trying to save on the card for a rainy day...i dont understand, how this could be so...can someone explain to me...because i have received a car and did so activate it but didnt put money on it yet im now affraid to do so because of the fact of saving for a rainy wont be quite possible if im being charged allready...so technically im the idiot???????? please someone tell the truth...Lisa from Hawaii
 26th of Nov, 2009 by   clo1971 0 Votes
I wanted to chime-in on this topic... I was once part of the large class of American's referred to as the Un-banked, I was in Checxsystems and couldn't get a checking account. I learned quite a bit about pre-paid cards. NEVER have your paycheck direct deposited to a standard pre-paid card. Some branches of The Federal Government and numerous State and Local Govs. & Agencies as well as businesses have started offering pre-paid payroll cards for the un-banked. Most are offered by big name brand financial institutions and have to abide by strict rules such as your entire paycheck must be available at the time of the wire transfer/direct deposit and not withdrawal limits. I shopped around and chose the Bank of America Cashpay Visa payroll card (www.bofa.com/cashpay) your paycheck is immediately available, you can take out as much as you want from atm (there might be debit cash back limits) and you get one free B of A atm withdrawal per week. No charge for Visa (signed or online) transaction and debit (pin based) are no B of A fee (there may be fee's charged by the retailer accepting the card). Other banks are offering similar cards but B of A's is available to anyone. Another note: I owed B of A money on a closed checking account thus causing a chexsystems report even if you owe B of A they will still let you open a Cashpay Acct!
 4th of Dec, 2009 by   Tish3132 +1 Votes
clo1971,

Thank you so much for suggesting the Bank of America Cash Pay card. I have been searching for something like that FOREVER! Now I'm glad I got the unsolicited Achieve Card in the mail, otherwise I wouldn't have come upon this site while looking into it.

I did have to speak to Bank of America's customer service and submit some verification, but that was all because of an issue on my part and the customer service was EXTREMELY nice and very helpful. Everything was all set up and my card was on the way in no time. I can already tell I'm that I'm going to be with this service for a LONG time!

Thanks, again!
 4th of Dec, 2009 by   Tish3132 0 Votes
Oh and I, too, owed money to Bank of America and they still opened up a Cashpay account for me, as well!
 13th of Dec, 2009 by   keith22222 0 Votes
My CHECK FROM THE DEPART MET OF LABOR WAS POSTED ON FRI THE 11 I CALLED THE ACHIVE LINE AND ASK THEM WHEN WILL I RECIVE MY MONEY THEY STATED THAT THEY DID'T NO ...THEY ARE CLOSED ON THE WEEK END SO U DONT NO WHATS GOING ON WITH YOUR MONEY ...I THINK THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL YOU IF U HAVE A PENDING TRANSACTION... MY ? IS HOW LONG DO IT TAKE TO POST MY DAM MONEY... nissa11@netzero.com
 29th of Dec, 2009 by   Samuels 0 Votes
Thanks guys for all the information. I was going to participate in the Achieve card as a matter of fact I activated the card and intended on depositing my check but now forget it. I think I will call Bank Of America like others have. Good looking out.
 29th of Dec, 2009 by   Scovi +1 Votes
Wow i'm so glad that i looked these guys up before going through with it i did not apply or request info on this company...I had my experience with scams and really take precaution to these types of situations...however the only thing that caught my eye was that i would be able to receive a loan if i got direct deposit but i thought about it and what company that is a prepaid card will give u that type of dough??Folks take all the info u see here and run do not give out your bank info and if u did i would cancel your account and open a new one so the routing/account info is different...with that info they can charge u for anything with even signing up
 31st of Dec, 2009 by   BrettP415 0 Votes
I can not believe what a joke this card is. I am pulling out as soon as I have access to my money. I have not been bale to access my account online nor have I been able to reach anybody via phone. This is unexceptable. To the post about the Visa Cash Card with Bank of America: THANK YOU!!! Acheivecard was great until today: My money, direct deposit is not available on friggin New Years Eve!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Save your time and money and get out while you can. Also file all complaints with Palm Desert Bank, FDIC as well.
 1st of Jan, 2010 by   JimmyJam 0 Votes
Yesterday was our payday we have an achieve card. Would you believe that we could get money at an ATM but when we went to the store the card wouldn't take anywhere. We was also told that we could apply for an achieve loan and guess what it didn't work out. Here it is a new year and people money is all messed up. Believe me we are leaving the company also, that's not the way that you do business. All BEWARE.
 4th of Jan, 2010 by   RyanATX -2 Votes
There seems to be some confusion and misinformation in this thread. My name is Ryan and I work for Achieve in Austin, TX and I'm posting to address some of the concerns here and provide accurate information about the Achieve Card.

1. Is the Achieve Card a scam?
Absolutely Not. We have many thousands of happy customers that use our cards every day. Our goal is to offer a prepaid card that's a better value overall... Reasonable fees and better service than our competitors. We're one of the fastest growing prepaid card programs in the nation and we do our best to offer personal service, not like a big bank where you get lost in the system. Our customer service staff is all onshore at our headquarters in Austin, TX and we work hard to provide a convenient banking solution for our customers at a reasonable price.

The post by jason13 mentions some ugly comments from our reps, which is absolutely not tolerated. If one of our reps is rude to you, our company President would like to hear about it personally. We've established a phone line that goes directly to the office of the President at 866-326-8945. You can also email him directly at otp@achievecard.com.

2. What are the common fees for our Card?
There is a $9.95 monthly fee. The activation fee of $9.95 can be waived if you set up direct deposit. For this price you get unlimited use of your Mastercard at retail stores, online, point of sale PIN, etc. There is a $2 charge if you pull cash out of an ATM. We are currently not charging for customer service calls like some of our competitors (Our terms list this charge but we don't actually apply the fee). We make sure that all cards are sent with a cardholder agreement that clearly discloses the fees, and they're also listed on our web site (http://www.achievecard.com/content/terms_conditions.aspx). Our customers find that our fees are typically lower than competitors offering similar service. We're in the business of providing convenient banking at a reasonable cost. If there's ever a case where fees pile up on an unused card just give us a call and we're happy to waive fees and make it right.

3. What is the relationship between Achieve, Palm Desert, and Green Dot?
Every prepaid card needs a sponsor bank behind them. Our sponsor bank is Palm Desert National Bank (PDNB). They are an FDIC insured bank and our partner. They work with us to prevent fraudulent activity on cards and to transfer funds from direct deposits. Side note: we're currently working on a system with PDNB to speed up processing of direct deposits so our card holders can access their funds earlier. If you want to load cash onto your card you can use a Green Dot MoneyPak. We partnered with Green Dot because you can buy their money packs just about anywhere. The Achieve Card is not affiliated with Wal Mart.

4. Can I trust Achieve to handle my direct deposit?
Yes. Some of the posts, such as the one from BrettP415, mentioned recent delays in deposit posting. One of our technology partners had an outage on 12/31 that delayed deposits and took our customer service system offline for several hours. All the deposits made it through, and this delay was out of the ordinary. During that same time our call center was flooded with calls (because of this issue), which created long wait times and backed up our phones. I realize this was frustrating, and I am truly very sorry for the delay in processing on 12/31/09. We understand how important your money is to you and we are committed to getting your money in your hands as soon as possible. We're also working on a long-term solution to speed up the deposits in the coming months. Our goal is to provide faster access to your direct deposit than any of our competitors.

5. Does the card affect my credit?
There is no credit check and your credit is not affected in any way by Achieve.

I apologize for the length of this post, but there were many valid concerns here that needed to be addressed.
 5th of Jan, 2010 by   Dancehalldr 0 Votes
With the B OF A Card is it a bank acount or a debit card? I have people who want to take all my money in bank acounts for judgements and i need to keep my money where they can't get too it. anyone have same trouble?
 5th of Jan, 2010 by   RyanATX -2 Votes
I used to bank w/ BofA a few years ago. In my experience if my balance ever got low they would hit me with overdraft and negative balance fees. It looks like the terms on their prepaid card are similar. Here's the section about overdrafts on the BofA card:

Overdrafts. If you attempt to use your Card for more than the then-current balance in your Account, we may refuse to authorize the transaction. However, if we do authorize the transaction, you will be charged the Negative Balance Fee stated in the Fee Schedule. In addition, you agree (a) that we may take the amount of the negative balance plus any fees from subsequent additions to your Account or (b) to pay us on demand the amount of the negative balance plus any fees.

If you run out of money on the Achieve Card it just stops working. In my opinion this is better than surprising you with a bunch of negative balance fees.
 27th of Jan, 2010 by   David M.P. 0 Votes
MiCash is customer-friendly prepaid debit card, with a 24x7 hotline, free text messages for checking your use and balance on the card, no monthly fee, and you can get $20 for free when you sign up for direct deposit. Details at www.micash.net. You can check us out on Facebook and Twitter. --David at MiCash
 30th of Jan, 2010 by   crazymollydog 0 Votes
That is ridiculous that they don't have weekend hours. NONE. They put a block on our card???????? Why?????? and have left us with out any money for the weekend. I have tried a calling them and NO weekend hours. IF there was a problem they could have called us, or emailed us they DID not. SERIOUS issues with this card and how the company is run. I have had different prepaid cards before, AND never have had any problems like the one I ran into with this one.

Watch for Online Cons on Cyber Monday